Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Star Telegram kernels of goodness-Grif, Walt, Popey, Rig are gone; summer league roster taking shape

Mavericks Notes
Rigaudeau tells Mavs he'll pursue job in Europe
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Antoine Rigaudeau has decided against joining the Mavericks' summer-league teams, more than likely ending a short and disappointing NBA career.

Rigaudeau informed Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson on Sunday that he plans to pursue playing options in Europe. Rigaudeau would walk away from $667,000 on the remaining guaranteed year of his contract if he finds a new team.

The loss of Rigaudeau would open another roster spot for the Mavs as the free-agent period starts. Teams can begin negotiating with free agents today.

The Mavs aren't expected to re-sign Popeye Jones, Walt Williams or Adrian Griffin, leaving three spots available on the 15-man roster. First-round draft pick Josh Howard is guaranteed a spot.

Rigaudeau, billed by the Mavs as a potential answer at small forward, never found his niche. After arriving in mid-January, the longtime European star struggled to grasp the NBA game and the Mavs' offense.

A sharpshooter throughout his international career, Rigaudeau shot 23 percent (8 of 35) in 11 games. He was force-fed minutes early, but quickly fell out of coach Don Nelson's rotation and onto the injured list.

The 31-year-old wasn't included on the playoff roster.

"My take is he didn't want to be a role player," said Donnie Nelson, also an assistant coach. "He wanted to play. It didn't happen for him, but it happened for reasons he had control over.

"We couldn't afford to experiment. After three to five games, it just wasn't happening for him offensively."

Though Rigaudeau's two agents told the Star-Telegram in recent weeks their client was "disappointed" with his abbreviated stint with the Mavs and considering a return to Europe, Nelson was under the impression Rigaudeau would compete on one of the Mavs' two summer-league teams. The Mavericks' coaching staff felt the added work would help prepare Rigaudeau for training camp in October.

"It surprised me a little bit because I thought he wanted to play at this level and the summer league was the perfect place to test him," Nelson said.

Nelson said the addition of Howard, who plays the same position as Rigaudeau, didn't affect Rigaudeau's decision. According to Bill Sweek, one of Rigaudeau's agents, the Italian League would be the probable destination for Rigaudeau. He played for Italian team Virtus Bologna the previous six seasons.

Summer-league rosters

Practices for summer-league teams begin today, and the Mavs are close to finalizing rosters. One team will compete in leagues in Los Angeles and Utah, and the other in Boston.

The LA/Utah team, coached by assistant Charlie Parker, begins play Monday in Long Beach before moving to Salt Lake City on July 18. The Boston team, coached by developmental assistants Rolando Blackman and Paul Mokeski, starts July 15.

Small forward Josh Howard, the Mavs' first-round pick from Wake Forest, and guard/forward Mladen Sekularac, the team's second-round selection last year from Yugoslavia, will be on the LA/Utah team.

They'll be joined by undrafted rookie free agents Marquis Daniels and Josh Powell , veteran center Isaac Austin, veteran power forward Sharone Wright and Japanese point guard Yuta Tabuse. The Mavs are also in conversations with former TCU forward Bingo Merriex, Oklahoma point guard Hollis Price and Texas Tech forward Kasib Powell.

The Mavs' staff is high on Daniels. Expected to go in the second round of last week's draft, the 6-foot-7 Daniels is slotted to play point guard during the summer league. He averaged 18.7 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists as a senior, helping Auburn to the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.

Among the players for the Boston league are former Mavs guard Adam Harrington, former Celtics guard Chris Herren and former University of Texas player Ira Clark.
Hey kids, what did we learn today?

Frenchie-gone, we probably knew that.
Popeye-gone, we should have known that.
Grif-gone, Josh Howard makes it so, even though I still think it would be easier to part with Bell. C'st la vi.
Walt-gone. Slightly surprised by this. Just because I thought they'd keep one of Walt and Grif. That means the small forward rotation just about entirely consists of Howard and Najera. That is a small forward rotation with limitations.

Summer league roster taking shape: If the team is high on Marquis Daniels, that could open the door to making him the third PG. If that happens, AJ must be moved. No "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it. Josh Powell is a kid that got terrible advice and should have stayed in school. It may turn out the kid can play. It might be worth stashing him on IR, but I can't see the Mavs having 2 undrafted free-agents on the 15 man roster. Finally, where's Quinton Ross?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Star Telegram kernels of goodness-Grif, Walt, Popey, Rig are gone; summer league roster taking shape

The best thing that comes out of this article is Bell will probably be signed by the mavs. I personally thin Griff was good but was never healthy.

Only regret would be to see Walt go, but if Horry could be signed then it is an upgrade.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It sounds to me as if we aren't done dealing. I still get the suspicion that there is a sign and trade deal in the works somewhere - perhaps for Alonzo Mourning. Mourning wants more than $4.9. Miami wants a point guard - they drafted a shooting guard. They now have a glut at the 2/3 with Wade, Jones, and Butler. It makes no sense unless they have a deal on the table for Jones. In my opinion Jones would be a perfect fit here at the three.

A trade of Zo and Jones for Nick and AJ comes close to working under the cap
Zo: $6M, Jones: $12.3 = $18.3M
Nick: $10.9M, AJ: $5.4 = $16.3M
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Interesting thought, Madape. But then we would need a backup point. I agree that there is probably some dealing to be done, but I don't want get bogged down in trade suggestions.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope so Ape, but you know who Riley and Mourning would be aiming their swindle at on our roster...

I bet they would be looking to aquire Raef, coming off of his BYC year, and providing a high enough salary to satisfy the demands of Alonzo, while providing Riley with an athletic, developing big man who might thrive in the East...

That Riley has been cackling about sign and trade possibilities, and talking about how Mourning, "can definitely still play this game" in the press has me convinced that there is no real possibility of Mourning re-signing with Miami. Riley is going to prop up Mourning's claims to be healthier, actively sell him to other teams, and then profit by the false sale...

I will absolutely be stunned if Mourning signs a MLE with any team- his departure is going to come at a price to whatever team he joins. Alonzo wants more money, and Riley wants more talent for his bereft squad. They are working in concert to achieve these goals, and whatever dupe pays the price for the broken goods is bound to be disapointed...
Old 07-01-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
It sounds to me as if we aren't done dealing. I still get the suspicion that there is a sign and trade deal in the works somewhere - perhaps for Alonzo Mourning. Mourning wants more than $4.9. Miami wants a point guard - they drafted a shooting guard. They now have a glut at the 2/3 with Wade, Jones, and Butler. It makes no sense unless they have a deal on the table for Jones. In my opinion Jones would be a perfect fit here at the three.

A trade of Zo and Jones for Nick and AJ comes close to working under the cap
Zo: $6M, Jones: $12.3 = $18.3M
Nick: $10.9M, AJ: $5.4 = $16.3M

Throw Esch in there ($2.8M) and bump Zo's contract to $6.8M and it matches
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Isn't anyone excited that the Mavs are looking at Austin and Sharone Wright? These are big guys that can definitely help.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Interesting thought, Madape. But then we would need a backup point.
We wouldn't need another high level point if the Kidd/Nash deal goes down - Kidd doesn't really need a backup as much as Nash.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Isn't anyone excited that the Mavs are looking at Austin and Sharone Wright? These are big guys that can definitely help.

No. They can't. In a league obsessed with size, why do people think there are undrafted free-agent big men that can contribute to any team, much less a playoff team? Same thing happens in baseball-people think there is left-handed pitching readily available after the season starts.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:29 AM   #10
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

Put me in the "No ZO" column. I'm just afraid he's damaged goods. And at his age, I sure wouldn't trade Reaf for him. If we can get him to come without losing the big four + Reaf and Najera, maybe. But I'm not sure I would lose Bradley either, because of the healtyh issues.

We all wish Zo would come and be allstar, second best center in the league caliber again. I personally think it's chasing fool's gold. If hw had a lot left, Riley would keep him.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:29 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Star Telegram kernels of goodness-Grif, Walt, Popey, Rig are gone; summer league roster taking shape

wait, did that article say Ike Austin?

sweet! our big man problems are solved!
Old 07-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Star Telegram kernels of goodness-Grif, Walt, Popey, Rig are gone; summer league roster taking shape

i am a little surprised at the wizard leaving, but other than that there are no real surprises here. i am happy to hear that harrington is playing for the boston summer league team.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

No. They can't. In a league obsessed with size, why do people think there are undrafted free-agent big men that can contribute to any team, much less a playoff team? Same thing happens in baseball-people think there is left-handed pitching readily available after the season starts.

Actually wasn't Sharone Wright a lottery pick the same year Kidd came out? Wasn't he like the 4th or 5th pick?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i am a little surprised at the wizard leaving, but other than that there are no real surprises here. i am happy to hear that harrington is playing for the boston summer league team.

I think the problem that came with Walt is that we only have 3 spots left minus the guy who is taking the mid level exception that gives you 2 spots. Sekularic is also coming to play for the summer league so you could expect him to take a spot on the Mavs roster. That leaves one spot left. I have read that the Mavs want to get 2 guys to split the exception so if thats the case there just isn't enough room for Walt on this roster. WE may be giving up another spot with AJ's contract expiring we might end up getting a nice player in the deal. Maybe we can throw in Esch or someone to give up a spot.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
wait, did that article say Ike Austin?

sweet! our big man problems are solved!

COMEDY! Good one BBL.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #16
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

does that mean Raja will get the 1.5 exception?he pretty much deserve it.
cant we sign walt on the veteran?he's a great player to come off the bench,same loosing him.

Ape,that deal sounds sweet,i'd defenitly prefer eddie jones over Nick,great perimeter defender,and has a good shooting arm aswell.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:44 PM   #17
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Alonzo Mourning does not deserve more than the 4.9 million excpetion. He has not played in two years and is a TREMENDOUS risk.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:01 PM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Was too lazy to read the post above.

Walt Williams will probably end up back in Dallas.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:18 PM   #19
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
I would hope so Ape, but you know who Riley and Mourning would be aiming their swindle at on our roster...

I bet they would be looking to aquire Raef, coming off of his BYC year, and providing a high enough salary to satisfy the demands of Alonzo, while providing Riley with an athletic, developing big man who might thrive in the East...

That Riley has been cackling about sign and trade possibilities, and talking about how Mourning, "can definitely still play this game" in the press has me convinced that there is no real possibility of Mourning re-signing with Miami. Riley is going to prop up Mourning's claims to be healthier, actively sell him to other teams, and then profit by the false sale...

I will absolutely be stunned if Mourning signs a MLE with any team- his departure is going to come at a price to whatever team he joins. Alonzo wants more money, and Riley wants more talent for his bereft squad. They are working in concert to achieve these goals, and whatever dupe pays the price for the broken goods is bound to be disapointed...
Ha good post Evil. That pretty much sums it up. I have a gut feeling that the Mavs will be the stupid takers. Seems like we are desperate to get our hands on every old hasbeen around.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I'm surprised about Riga's, as Nellie and Donnie. It seems French always retreat.

Quote:
The Mavs aren't expected to re-sign Popeye Jones, Walt Williams or Adrian Griffin...
Is this an official announcement? I wanted Walt back.

4 open spots. How the hell Dallas is going to fill them?

Old 07-01-2003, 07:56 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i think we will explore the options and then maybe resign walt depending on who else we sign. it's not like the demand for walt is all that high.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:19 PM   #22
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

daniels has some scoring ability, he looked pretty good during the tourney. but i am not sure about him playing the point. stats: 18.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 2.3 steals. and powell seems intruiging, a good shot blocking SF who does not seem very selfish. but, it was pointed out earlier that it is unlikely that we sign 2 undrafted rookies.

with Zo, i just dont know. Maybe there is a pot of healthy kidneys at the end of the rainbow, but i am very afraid of dallas over paying him.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 PM   #23
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

what, psu?