Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-03-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Mavs_fun_fan

Mavs_fun_fan is on a distinguished road
Default Kobe a no-show at camp

Kobe didn't show at training camp. I guess this might interest Maverick fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Mavs_fun_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I am starting to get the feeling that this is going to be really, really ugly.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quick, check your daughters!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there is a logical explanation.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kobe a no-show at camp

I agree Hitman, this would be a tough situation for anyone. Having the whole thing played out in the media is even worse. On top of it all, this is the guy who cried when Philly fans boo'd him at the all star game.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kobe a no-show at camp

I didn't think anything of it when I read about it last night. It was more like that's what I expected.

IMO, it would fuel more rumors, bring on more media attention by him NOT showing than if he was there on time.

...I thought he was just skipping out on media day, not the whole camp. That's what this article is saying. Kobe should have talked to Jackson or someone in the front office about the last minute change of plans.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

He has a preliminary hearing coming up next Thursday and I would bet he's huddled with his lawyers for that one. once it's out of the way, he'll probably head to camp.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 AM   #8
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quick, check your daughters!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Good post LRB! Right on...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be no big deal, but the concern is setting in in L.A.

[/quote]October 3, 2003 E-mail story Print

Bill Plaschke:
Already an Ill Wind Blowing in Laker Camp

HONOLULU — Talk about a lousy entry pass.

On the day his legal team suffered two important losses in Colorado, Kobe Bryant called in sick to the Lakers' first team meeting.

Inside the tense and overheated University of Hawaii gym, the two events seemed as coincidental as the thick beads of sweat dripping off Phil Jackson's nose.

The Lakers said Bryant should be flying here from Southern California today. They hope.

They said he should be practicing with his teammates for the first time Saturday. They hope.

But from the worried look on Mitch Kupchak's face to the grimace worn by Jackson, they don't know, and we don't know, and doesn't it figure?

On the eve of the start of what is expected to be the most tumultuous season in Laker history, already the leading scorer is chaos.

"It looks as if it's going to be that kind of year," Kupchak said with a sigh.

It would not surprise anyone if Bryant walked on to the court Saturday as promised, smiling and wondering why the giant fuss over a little cold.

But it also would not surprise anyone if he did not show up again until next year, announcing that he is forgoing the current season to engage in the legal battle for his life.

In the first scenario, he would be standing up for his right to be treated as innocent until proven guilty, a noble and important gesture.

In the second scenario, he would be stepping aside to protect the sanity of himself and his family and his teammates, an equally admirable gesture.

Before Thursday, the Lakers had yet to even acknowledge that second scenario, as Bryant promised he would be there.

But suddenly, it sounds as if Jackson is preparing himself for anything.

"At this point, I think Kobe has to think about himself before the team," the coach

said.

He later added this cryptic message to his star: "Come back, join us when you're ready, and we're ready to go on with you. Or without you."

Or without you?

Before Thursday, it seemed apparent that Bryant was willing to become the most prominent athlete to ever play a season with a rape charge and life imprisonment hanging over his head. Even as some teammates grumbled about the distractions, Bryant assured officials that he could handle the constant media scrutiny and opposing fan harassment.

But Thursday, a judge in Colorado said Bryant's lawyers would not be allowed to interrogate his alleged victim in a preliminary hearing on his rape charge. That means the hearing is now a formality, and that Bryant probably cannot avoid a full trial.

Also Thursday, a judge ruled that the media would be allowed in the preliminary hearing, which means reporters probably will be in court for the trial, beaming Bryant's private life to the world.

It was two strikes against the defense, at which point Bryant declared he was out of his first and most symbolic practice of the season.

While remaining out of touch.

Jackson phoned him, but he wouldn't take the call. Kupchak phoned him, but he wouldn't pick up. The Lakers learned of his absence through a phone call from his agent.

Thus his team, with two important new players, climbed aboard their charter jet without him. And Thursday's first team meeting, in which Jackson traditionally begins to spread his togetherness wisdom, was held without him.

At the beginning of a season where he will need his teammates more than ever, he once again isolates himself.

And while we can only guess whether the players will show up today angry over another case of perceived abandonment, the coach is clearly miffed.

"No one is bigger than the team or the game," Jackson said. "That's the way it is."

With their two new toys, the Lakers undoubtedly figure they can win with or without Bryant.

But they cannot win if he comes and goes at the drop of a judge's ruling.

And, with already nearly 100 media members already prodding them with cameras and tape recorders, they're also getting a little cynical about it.

"I wasn't told he was sick, I was told he was under the weather," Jackson said. "Now is that the marine layer fog that's in L.A. that's been plaguing us for two weeks? Yes, I think that's probably under the weather, for me at least."

At least one young teammate wondered whether the illness wouldn't be related to stress.

"I'm stressed out all the time in this game, I can't imagine what's happening to him," said Kareem Rush, who is as close as anyone to Bryant. "I know the stress has to be affecting him."

At this point, it's affecting everyone, a potentially championship team growing angry at a problem it did not cause, and bewildered by a prodigy it no longer understands.

"We just have to be real fluid and not get our hopes up one way or the other," Jackson said.

But at this point, what exactly are those hopes? Is Jackson hoping Bryant plays, or doesn't?

Funny, but he never really said.[/quote]
Old 10-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #10
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ouch! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

And Jesus Christ, Plaschke is an idiot. How the heck he got a job at the LA Times I'll never know.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

SA2- get ready for a season long dose of Kobe smacking. It is inevitable. It will happen everywhere the Lakers play.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #12
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
SA2- get ready for a season long dose of Kobe smacking. It is inevitable. It will happen everywhere the Lakers play.
Yeah I know, people are brutal! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

finally! A more dramatic train wreck to watch than the Anna Nicole Smith show.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:46 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

tell me if he heads east. I'll start locking my door.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:

tell me if he heads east. I'll start locking my door.

Even better, Lock and Load. And remember to aim low. You may not take him out, but you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #16
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
finally! A more dramatic train wreck to watch than the Anna Nicole Smith show.
Sorry, the bloat that is ANS can never be topped.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:58 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

HONOLULU -- Kobe Bryant was on his way to Lakers training camp, the team announced Friday night.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, called Friday to say Bryant was scheduled to arrive in Oahu late Friday night. The Lakers expect Bryant to join them at practice Saturday morning, Black said.

Bryant missed Friday's opening practice for Lakers veterans after informing the team that he was not feeling well enough to fly on the team's charter flight from Los Angeles on Thursday. With Bryant facing felony sexual assault charges in Colorado, and with a pre-trial hearing scheduled for next Thursday, Bryant's absence fueled speculation that he might not come to Hawaii at all.

The Lakers are scheduled to return to L.A. on Oct. 9 after playing two exhibition games against the Golden State Warriors.

Looks like Kobe's feeling better now...[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

Well actually Kobe asked for permission to come to camp late. Jackson told him "no". But lately Kobe's had a problem taking "no" for an answer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 02:29 PM   #19
cin

cin is on a distinguished road

Kobe's accuser's ex-boyfriend is going to be on 48 Hours tonight.

Saturday: Full Court Press

(CBS) Up Next: Oct. 4 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Kobe Bryant: Full Court Press

48 Hours Investigates goes inside the Kobe Bryant case on Saturday, just days before his scheduled pre-trial hearing in Colorado.

In an exclusive interview with Anchor Lesley Stahl, an ex-boyfriend of Kobe's accuser says, "There is no doubt that Kobe Bryant raped my friend." He also talks in detail about that night and the death threats against her.

For the first time, Bryant's accuser speaks through her friend about herself and what happened in Bryant's hotel room in Eagle, Colo., the night of June 30.

48 Hours Investigates also gets a legal perspective on the case from former sex crimes prosecutor Linda Fairstein, who has some new details about what's inside the medical records in the case. Plus, we'll introduce you to the sometimes out-of-control life on the road in NBA basketball, and talk to ex-players and ex-wives about the temptations and challenges facing these very rich, young men.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/48hours/main3410.shtml

cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 08:06 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

Thanks Cin for posting this. Very interesting show.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:57 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well actually Kobe asked for permission to come to camp late. Jackson told him "no". But lately Kobe's had a problem taking "no" for an answer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LRB must be butter because he is on a roll.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 AM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

buh-dum chick[img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 02:12 AM   #23
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Ouch again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
LRB must be butter because he is on a roll.
Agreed!