Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rodman to the Nuggets? Seriously?

ESPN.com news services
The Denver Nuggets, who added young talent to the lineup when they took Carmelo Anthony with the No. 3 pick in the draft, are now in pursuit of veteran support.

General manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he is considering bringing former NBA rebounding champion Dennis Rodman in for a tryout this week, the Denver Post reported Sunday.

"We might bring him in for a day for a tryout," Vandeweghe told the paper. "We're just looking around. We've kind of kicked the idea around a little bit."

Vandeweghe has been looking for another veteran big man, according to the paper.

Rodman, 42, ranks 18th all-time in rebounds with 11,954 and has played for five championship teams. But he has been absent from the NBA since the 1999-2000 season he spent with the Dallas Mavericks.

Vandeweghe worked for the Mavericks as an assistant and director of player development while Rodman was with the team, the paper reported.

Vandeweghe has been told Rodman is in "great shape," the paper reported. Rodman, who is 6-foot-8, is a two-time NBA defensive player of the year. He led the league in rebounding seven consecutive seasons, ending in 1998. Only Wilt Chamberlain has won more NBA rebounding titles (11).

Rodman's off-court antics, which led to his dismissal from both Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers, are "definitely a concern" for Vandeweghe, the paper said. But Vandeweghe told the paper he has known Rodman for a long time and respects him.

"If he comes in and plays like everyone knows he can play and he's in great shape, it can be a great thing," Nuggets forward Ryan Bowen told the Post. "What we don't need is if he comes in and brings the other stuff with him. Some of it may be good, because our team is changing with the (NBA TV) crew and trying to get more publicity. If it comes to the point where a guy, not necessarily Rodman, comes in and disrupts what we're trying to do, then I don't know if it would be a good thing."

Nuggets assistant Adrian Dantley, who played with Rodman in Detroit from 1986-89, told the paper Rodman could help the Nuggest if he can return to the great shape for which he was known.

"If he came in, he wouldn't be the star of the minutes," Dantley told the Post. "You need that veteran guy. He's aging, but knowing Dennis, he's in shape -- and he's a smart player."
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

I hope not. I would hate to see Rodman infect a young up-and-coming team like the Nuggets. I hope Kiki V. wises up.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rodman to the Nuggets? Seriously?

If he doesn't then he deserves what he gets with Rodman.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

WORST IDEA EVER! But hey, it is the Nuggets, what do they have to lose?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Rodman's act got old a long time ago. The only tryouts he should be doing is for the freak show at the circus.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Okay advice to a rebuilding team
1) get young players with a lot of talent
2) get veterans with good attitude that won't be arrested for drunk driving
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
3) or who wear wedding dresses and kick cameramen in the testicles.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
3) or who wear wedding dresses and kick cameramen in the testicles.
4) veterans who can and will practice hard and not hardly practice

Old 10-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I say bring him on, I've always liked his game AND his craziness. Moreso, I'm just interested to see if he'll seize the opportunity and be his "normal" crazy self, rather than the complete sideshow he was with the Spurs/Lakers/Mavericks. He's always been a freak of nature, basketball-wise, and I'd love to watch the guy. I'll buy NBA League Pass, seriously [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Except for the Mavs, there is no other team in the NBA that I haved loved for years like the Nuggets. This would kill me. It could hamper the development of the young impressionable guys for years. Denver is the youngest team in the NBA. If you could sign the Detroit Rodman that would be one thing IMHO, but the today Rodman scares the hell out of me.

Edit- Rhylan is right though...I would watch him too.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I hope not. I would hate to see Rodman infect a young up-and-coming team like the Nuggets. I hope Kiki V. wises up.
If you remember correctly the Mavs started their run to the playoffs right after a brief fling with Rodman. Maybe Kiki is hoping for the same for the Nuggets.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

rodman's just being brought in for veteran leadership
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:21 AM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
rodman's just being brought in for veteran leadership
Is he bringing Jordan with him?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:54 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Bringing in Rodman as a veteran is like Bringing in Tarpley to teach the Rookie Acclimation class
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:17 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sarcasm...
it's underrated
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #16
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

If this happens then Denver is officially desperate....
Old 10-06-2003, 09:02 AM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Rodman to the Nuggets? Seriously?

... desperate for season ticket sales.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #18
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
... desperate for season ticket sales.
I guess so...