Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-24-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lakers-Kings ..a few observations

kings are looking real good...especially bobby jackson

lakers look way too slow..they don't seem to be able to guard anyone on the perimeter

also, shaq isn't touching the ball nearly as much as he used to
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #2
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Lakers-Kings ..a few observations

I would like to think the LAkers will just suck... but they will probably really improve after a little time. They probably just have to get those old bones and joints warmed up.

Sac almost always looks good. They have a great organization there. good owners, good coach, great GM... and agreat system from Pete Carrill. So tthey always look great. Poor Nellie has to do everything y himself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I hope the MAvs can run them ragged like the KIngs and these other teams have done.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lakers-Kings ..a few observations

Sacramento looks really good. Once Webber returns they'll be that much stronger.

The Lakers look pretty good as well. Shaq looks like the old Shaq.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Did you just see the look on Paytons face after Fisher hit those shots and started getting the Lakers back in this game? I wonder what would happen to the LAkers chemsitry if Fisher beat Payton for the starting job? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 10-24-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The more I see, the more I like Walton.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I am just dumbfounded that Nellie didn't pick Walton. You know he wanted to desperately but he was affraid to get one more no defense playin, soft white guy. lol Nellie probably figures he can get him in a trade down the road. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

I thought that was a good game. I finally got to watch a preseason game. Yeah!
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:56 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Three days until the mavs vs. Lakers.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 02:30 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people on here write off the Kings, but I think that's a mistake. They will still win games until Webber gets back. They're used to playing without him and they have fewer new pieces to work in. If you're a basketball fan, it's hard not to admire the Kings. That's the best passing team I've seen. Peja is a shooter, but he made a pass tonight that was just jaw dropping. That comes from having played with the same guys for over three years. The big 3 have that kind of chemistry and hopefully it won't take the others long to adjust.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:42 AM   #10
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Great game, but definitely lots of inconsistently on both sides, especially the Lakers, their defense in particular. Their offense is just fine right now, and will inevitably get much better as their chemistry develops over the season. One big thing that's still lacking is team defense. Payton is still a good perimeter defender and definitely a good help defender, but Malone, Shaq and Kobe just aren't communicating defensively as they should be. That's one huge advantage the Kings still have over the Lakers, or any team for that matter; chemistry, mostly defensively but certainly offensively as well.

Otherwise, as MavsFanFinley pointed out, Walton looked good tonight. Actually, this was one of his more average games believe it or not; he's played great this preseason and is quite simply the best passer on the Lakers not named Payton. His court vision and pure passing ability is truly something to behold. Can't wait for him to improve his D and athleticism.

Kobe is obviously not ready to become that Top 3 player he's capable of being. In another month he'll be much better. Right now, Kobe might as well not play, he's no where near his 2003 ability or possibly even just a 2002 Kobe.

Malone and Shaq were pretty consistent in the middle, both offensively and defensively. Malone's block on Miller was hilarious. I still can't get over the fact that Miller is looking to be a big disappointment, because I saw it from the very beginning; a barely decent big man from the weak East getting worked by a 40 year old in Malone and just flat out dominated by Shaq per usual, and even more so as Miller played lazy or simply uninterested D tonight. Vlade won't do any better unless he starts working out (uh, not going to happen). Kings will look great once Webber is back though. Otherwise, Kings need Massenburg and Songaila to step it up. Songaila wasn't too impressive either, so we'll see if the Kings run into Shaq trouble during the playoffs next year if they meet.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 02:45 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
A lot of people on here write off the Kings, but I think that's a mistake. They will still win games until Webber gets back. They're used to playing without him and they have fewer new pieces to work in. If you're a basketball fan, it's hard not to admire the Kings. That's the best passing team I've seen. Peja is a shooter, but he made a pass tonight that was just jaw dropping. That comes from having played with the same guys for over three years. The big 3 have that kind of chemistry and hopefully it won't take the others long to adjust.
Sac town's window may be closing for a championship but they are close to perfection. They play well together, the bench steps up in the absence of key players as good as anyone in the league. They are seriously a danger to a lot of teams, Mavs included but I think we play them about as good as anyone out there.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 03:03 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Their eyes light up when they see us. Mrs. Christie's husband is not that great of an offensive player, but he kills us.

As far as the Lakers, I think they will struggle in back to backs. Especially early in the season with Kobe playing like he's playing. He's ahead of schedule, but he's nowhere near the player that killed in the 4th last year. Offensively, they seemed to be over passing. Malone had I think 5 assists, but he also had 3 or 4 turnovers as a result of making cute passes. He hasn't really impressed my in the 3 games I've seen, but he is 40. He's also way better then Samaki Walker and Slava, but they're going to miss Horry's defense. Shaq is a monster (says obvious man). His quickness around the basket is back, but right now it looks like he's struggling with the jump hook. Payton is really pushing the ball, which is a good thing since it takes Shaq out of the game. I welcome a run and gun affair with L.A.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:59 AM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

My son and I watched both games on ESPN last night ....and I thought nearly everyone, with the exception of Shaq, Yao, Peja and BobbyJax looked relatively MISERABLE. Sloppy games with a lot of turnovers and horrible shooting. Bibby, in particular, looked lost. Sac's passing game was prettydecent though. A few others did ok, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I realize that this is the end of exhibition season and teams weren't at full strength..no Parker, no Manu, no Vlade, no Webber....but the Spurs and Lakers looked totally out of synch. I think most of the top teams in the west need another 10 days of camp, including the Mavs.

The very BAD news for Mavs fans is that Shaq looked GREAT. He's moving well; doing things that he couldn't do last year and threw down one incredible dunk on a pass from the corner from GP. If his toe holds up, he's going to wreak some havoc this year.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:47 PM   #14
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

i missed the game. can anyone tell me how the officiating went in the game? i read from lmf forum that we should worry about officiating when playing lakers
Old 10-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Oh yea.... Peja is going bald.

Not a basketball observation, but an observation none the less.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Oh yea.... Peja is going bald.

Not a basketball observation, but an observation none the less.
Then let him cover Nash.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:22 PM   #17
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
My son and I watched both games on ESPN last night ....and I thought nearly everyone, with the exception of Shaq, Yao, Peja and BobbyJax looked relatively MISERABLE. Sloppy games with a lot of turnovers and horrible shooting. Bibby, in particular, looked lost. Sac's passing game was prettydecent though. A few others did ok, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I realize that this is the end of exhibition season and teams weren't at full strength..no Parker, no Manu, no Vlade, no Webber....but the Spurs and Lakers looked totally out of synch. I think most of the top teams in the west need another 10 days of camp, including the Mavs.
I agree, Spurs, and Lakers in particular, need more time. Though, I also think it was a combination of the psychological fact that it's preseason and that Pop and PJ were sitting their starters 10-15 minutes more than they're used to. Hard to get going with that large reduction in minutes.

I also think you should add Walton to that list of players (Shaq, Yao, Peja, and Bojax). Besides a missed layup, he played great.

Quote:
The very BAD news for Mavs fans is that Shaq looked GREAT. He's moving well; doing things that he couldn't do last year and threw down one incredible dunk on a pass from the corner from GP. If his toe holds up, he's going to wreak some havoc this year.
Agreed. A healthy, motivated and conditioned Shaq is just plain scary.

Quote:
Originally posted by: superheadcat
i missed the game. can anyone tell me how the officiating went in the game? i read from lmf forum that we should worry about officiating when playing lakers
Yeah, Malone got one stupid call he should have never got, and Shaq got one he shouldn't have got as well (the one where Miller stood there and literally gave up). But besides those calls, everything was officiated very very well.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:52 PM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Though, I also think it was a combination of the psychological fact that it's preseason and that Pop and PJ were sitting their starters 10-15 minutes more than they're used to. Hard to get going with that large reduction in minutes.

Much like Nelson did in the preseason with Nash, Dirk, and Jamison(before Walker came in).
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:22 PM   #19
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Though, I also think it was a combination of the psychological fact that it's preseason and that Pop and PJ were sitting their starters 10-15 minutes more than they're used to. Hard to get going with that large reduction in minutes.
Much like Nelson did in the preseason with Nash, Dirk, and Jamison(before Walker came in).
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
"Dirk is a tall small forward. Peja can stop him."

~from a poster at Kingsfans.com
LOL! You gotta love those homer Kings fans, they never quit!
Old 10-25-2003, 06:49 PM   #20
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Originally posted by Shaq Attack2:
Quote:
TI also think you should add Walton to that list of players
Ok, I will..although I think he got a litlle ahead of himself (or his teammates) a few times, but, yes, he did well. I also agree with your assessment posted above.

I did fail to mention kobe...and I'm not sure how fair it is to judge the guy on the court right now, but he didn't look good at all to me. He's having some definite rehab/fitness problems with his knee.

Watching BOTH games, I was just surprised at how many guys looked just plain BAD.

It's only a hunch...and I don't have anything to spport it, but I've got a feeling that Malone is going to fall off quite a bit this year. in the end, it may not matter if Shaq stays healthy and plays this way.

I'm betting Lakers vs. Mavs in the WCF, if the Lakers keep their health and attitude. I just don't think that SA can do it again...again, just my hunch.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #21
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Originally posted by Shaq Attack2:
Quote:
TI also think you should add Walton to that list of players
Ok, I will..although I think he got a litlle ahead of himself (or his teammates) a few times, but, yes, he did well.
Agreed. He's a rookie, so he has lots of rough edges to pan out.

Quote:
I did fail to mention kobe...and I'm not sure how fair it is to judge the guy on the court right now, but he didn't look good at all to me. He's having some definite rehab/fitness problems with his knee.
Agreed. Kobe was not impressive at all, his conditioning (his knee, and conditioning in general) is a big issue, which means it should take him at least a month to be back to good form, and another 2-3 to be back full force.

Quote:
Watching BOTH games, I was just surprised at how many guys looked just plain BAD.
Yeah, it's hard to tell really. I usually don't watch preseason very closely, but this year is especially exciting with the Mavs and Lakers additions, and the much better competitiveness in the West in general, so I watched more this year. It may just be because it's preseason, but I'll reserve judgment after a couple weeks of regular season play. Though, I must say, the Kings are still exceedingly good at moving the ball, their chemistry is great.

Quote:
It's only a hunch...and I don't have anything to spport it, but I've got a feeling that Malone is going to fall off quite a bit this year. in the end, it may not matter if Shaq stays healthy and plays this way.
Agreed. Malone will fall off, but the question is how much and will it matter. He keeps in such great shape that I have trouble telling sometimes, so either way I don't know.

Quote:
I'm betting Lakers vs. Mavs in the WCF, if the Lakers keep their health and attitude.
Me too. I might say Lakers vs. Kings, but I just don't have any faith in the Kings front court of an over-the-hill Vlade (and now an injured Vlade), an OK center in Miller, and a very very injury-prone PF in Webber. If Kings are healthy I give them the edge over the Mavs, but that's only based on the Mavs of last year's performance. This year, Mavs may improve their D dramatically even without big men, and they may get their chemistry together well before the playoffs begin.

Quote:
I just don't think that SA can do it again...again, just my hunch.
I agree. Even if Manu and Parker improve, the league is just much better. People underestimated how much Drob did for the Spurs defensively last year, even at age 37. And I'm sorry, but Rasho is a cream puff and merely a good shooter. He's a downgrade. In addition, I think losing Steve Jackson (killed the Lakers last season), Kerr (killed the Mavs last season), and Speedy are big loses. Horry is past his glory days, though I have a feeling he still has some life left. Hedo is good but isn't ready to contribute IMO, and Mercer and Carter will merely be decent backups, nothing more.

We'll just have to see. Can't wait for Tuesday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]