Bradley 4
Najera 13

Dirk 48-14-4= 30.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Tracking of Fortson-Bradley-Najera minutes and Dirk's as Center

Not quite Chiwas... Walker and Jamison played center too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Tracking of Fortson-Bradley-Najera minutes and Dirk's as Center

It is going to be impossible to know Dirk's minutes, but a good aproximation will be 48 minus Fortson's minus Bradley's, unless it is evident that other player takes the spot.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Game 2

Fortson 3
Bradley 1
Najera 19

Dirk 48-3-1-19 = 25 (Najera played all his minutes as Center)

Old 10-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Frankly, with the current roster, Dirk needs to start at C with AW/AJ also starting in the front court. I don't think the AJ experiment as 6th man will work. AJ will need to get into a rythym to be successful. Shawn, Eddie and Danny will just fine as needed to give a few miuntes.

Although there hasn't been any evidence of it in the first two games, I have hopes Delk will make it as the 6th man.

It's too early to give up on this group, but I do think another move is coming. If it is, I would rather it come sooner than later so they can have plenty of time to click.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Three games into the season, and Fortson has already played his way out of the rotation. He's gone from starting center to 12th man in less than a week. How could so many people, including Don Nelson, be so wrong about this guy? What did he ever do to prove that he deserved to start in the first place? The Mavs were admittedly short-handed at center, even when they thought Fortson would give them something. If their willingness to go into the season with only two centers on the roster was risky, their reliance on Fortson to be one of those two was just stupid. The Mavs should have thrown some money at Mutombo, Stepania, or anyone with a big body and a pulse. Fortson is a spare. He's the worst player on this team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Three games into the season, and Fortson has already played his way out of the rotation. He's gone from starting center to 12th man in less than a week. How could so many people, including Don Nelson, be so wrong about this guy? What did he ever do to prove that he deserved to start in the first place? The Mavs were admittedly short-handed at center, even when they thought Fortson would give them something. If their willingness to go into the season with only two centers on the roster was risky, their reliance on Fortson to be one of those two was just stupid. The Mavs should have thrown some money at Mutombo, Stepania, or anyone with a big body and a pulse. Fortson is a spare. He's the worst player on this team.
We weren't wrong, Nellis is schizophrenic. Nellie can't reconcile (a) what he wants to do and knows he should do as coach before the season starts and (b) what Nellie wants to do as coach during a game.

Gameday Nellie always wins. Players play too many minutes. There is never a set rotation. Defense is yanked for offense. Players are played out of position.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:58 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gameday Nellie always wins. Players play too many minutes. There is never a set rotation. Defense is yanked for offense. Players are played out of position.
and people wonder why the Mavs struggle defensively
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Nellie can't reconcile (a) what he wants to do and knows he should do as coach before the season starts and (b) what Nellie wants to do as coach during a game.
Very good thought.

I wonder if he really knew the (a), though.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Guys, there is a reason Nellie tried to run the NY offense through Mason and way from Ewing; there is a reason that Nellie tried to make Chris Webber a center. Once the season starts, Nellie can't help it. I'd love to read the old newspaper articles from trainign camp in Golden State and New York; I am sure it was all about defense and the low post.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Guys, there is a reason Nellie tried to run the NY offense through Mason and way from Ewing; there is a reason that Nellie tried to make Chris Webber a center. Once the season starts, Nellie can't help it. I'd love to read the old newspaper articles from trainign camp in Golden State and New York; I am sure it was all about defense and the low post.
Like many on the site speculated, Nellie finally has the amount of scorers that he was looking for. Will he properly utilized players such as Najera, Bradley, and others?

Well, it's too early to tell. But, to give Nellie the benefit of the doubt is very difficult. His track record indicates that he'll opt for the additional scoring imuch more often than he'll opt for a more defensive oriented player.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #12
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

Dirk cannot play center. He needs to play PF or SF, but not center. He is not that good!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Fortson + Bradley + Najera = 21 minutes against SA.

Guess who is our Main Center?

Dirk or Walker.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2003, 12:42 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

On the post-game interview nellie said he put fortson in and for two offensive trips down he forgot the offensive sets. Is fortson some sort of basketball idiot or something?

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:46 AM   #15
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the post-game interview nellie said he put fortson in and for two offensive trips down he forgot the offensive sets. Is fortson some sort of basketball idiot or something?
Fortson had a lot of prblems when he was growing up. It is really a miracle he is where he is. As much as I would like him to play better I can't help but cut the guy slack.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:48 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?? Is that a yes, no or possibly a some of the times?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-09-2003, 01:24 AM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Yes. Maybe he's trying to fill Raef's role from last year.

I just don't have much respect for a player who shows up for training camp 40lbs overweight.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:41 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just don't have much respect for a player who shows up for training camp 40lbs overweight.
*cough* Shaq *cough*

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #19
jimmychipwood

jimmychipwood is on a distinguished road

Small Ball is Back Baby!!!

21 minutes combined for our "centers," 2 of which are really power forwards!

When will we just say that small ball doesn't win championships. Crying sadness.

I was glad to see Jamison do so well, and he did so well because he made it all happen on his own.

nbaunplugged.com
jimmychipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #20
jimmychipwood

jimmychipwood is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I agree that the Fortson situation sounds like Raef all over. If guys are having that much trouble remembering plays, maybe we have too many plays and/or maybe the ones we have are too complex.

Parcells makes sure every player knows exactly what he is supposed to do in every situation. To make that possible, he keeps things simple. I like Parcells.

nbaunplugged.com
jimmychipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Why did he take Bradley out after two minutes? I thought he was playing well.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: jimmychipwood
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I agree that the Fortson situation sounds like Raef all over. If guys are having that much trouble remembering plays, maybe we have too many plays and/or maybe the ones we have are too complex.

Parcells makes sure every player knows exactly what he is supposed to do in every situation. To make that possible, he keeps things simple. I like Parcells.

I'm sorry but this is bogus. Sounds to me like fortson is basically lazy off the court. Are you telling me that parcells would tolerate that!! No way, that's the one thing he will NOT tolerate.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:40 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

The point is, Dallas has only one Center and he isn't playing.

The other PF who is playing Center wants to play well, knows the plays -3 years with the team- but is undersized.

The other PF who is playing Center can rebound but is undersized and don't know the plays.

Last night with Nesterovic playing as PF (better say, "like" PF) the Mavs didn't play a Center and showed dominant. When the Mavs put in Najera, Malik started to mess the things up for the Mavs. Everything changed.

We almost lost the game. Maybe it could have worked to keep the same scheme last nigh that was running fine.

But for the rest of the season, with tougher rival Centers, either Shawn has to play more or the Mavs has to hire another true Center, or both.

I think Fortson won't learn the plays. We already had a bad experience waiting and waiting for other player to do so and didn't happen. Besides, he is undersized too, his only asset is the big instint for the rebounds.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas

The other PF who is playing Center can rebound but is undersized and don't know the plays.

Not to mention that he's fat and lazy.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Shawn is probably not well enough for heavy minutes yet, but I do think that he is well enough for Nellie to play him more. We definitely need another center. One is just not going to cut it. The potato is worthless. Eddie is just too undersized. Still I'd rather see more undersized Eddie that fat @$$ lazy potato.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #25
\_Dead_4_Sure_/

\_Dead_4_Sure_/ is on a distinguished road

haning Dirk as a center does not give the Mavs much power on defense as well as on offense, We all need Dirk to play his regular role and get more help for Shawn, yes Eddie tries to do his best when playing as center, but is just to undersize, but I still remember the way he played against Yao when Yao was manhandling Shawn....So if only we could get a center with that same attitude, that will help the team a lot....Why Mark and Nellie does not look for one at the Preolimpics?
\_Dead_4_Sure_/ is offline   Reply With Quote