Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default A-Rod trade rumors

what are you guys hearing? I think we need to deal him IF we get good talent in return. Hicks talking about cutting the payroll to 70 million this year leads to the concept of A-Rod being dealt considering the fact that he is due to make over 25 million alone this year! That leaves a mear 45 million for the REST of the team . . . i love A-Rod, but Hank B., Texiera, Young, Lewis, and Mench are the future . . . and the future would be even brighter if we could add some young stud arms in place of A-Rod . . . furethermore the SS position in our minor leagues is unusually strong.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:A-Rod trade rumors

Peter Gammons reported on Wednesday that it was very likely that AROD will be traded. He hinted at a Manny for AROD deal. Manny who has more power, and will be payed 60 million dollars more over the life of his contract. Their also was a reported three way trade with nomar garciaparra fell through with the rangers recieving two unnamed prospects.

AROD is a great player but the fact is with the rangers salary restraints they have no chance of winning with him.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The actress Lauren Holly reports that Nomar Garciapara has purchased a house and land in Texas..(as reported on the Dan Patrick show)

Some may ask 'how the hell would she know anything about that?'

Well, she's a long time Red Sox fan and a friend of Nomar's.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

This just in Murphy doesn't have anything to add to the conversation.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, it's just a rumor that's out there. But, it's a rumor involving A-Rod and Nomar. It's as substantial as anything else that's out there right now.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Come on JayC....I heard the EXACT same thing that murphy typed on SportsCenter.

They also reported a three-way with Anahiem involving Arod to Boston, Nomar to Texas and some pitchers from huge list coming to Texas. I'd prefer this as we would get arms and then could pursue free agent Rich Aurelia, a former Ranger done great with San Fran.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

As long as it is PITCHING and not Jaun. . . i mean Manny Ramirez, we are on the right trak!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

If it's with Boston, it MUST include Manny Ramirez due to the contracts. I'd like to see a Ramirez-Casey Fossum deal. Getting Fossum would be a steal!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Uncle.. let's just trade the guy. I'm sick of hearing about it. Bring us your arms!
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
bogey
Banned

This statement was just released by the Texas Rangers GM John Hart......

"Since the end of the season, the Texas Rangers have specifically stated that we are not actively seeking to trade Alex Rodriguez. However, we have received inquiries from other clubs regarding Alex. As part of the process, Tom Hicks has had conversations with Alex regarding these inquires and to alert him about potential options.
This situation remains the same. We expect that Alex Rodriguez will be the shortstop for the Texas Rangers in 2004 and beyond.

On behalf of the entire organization, I want to congratulate Alex on winning the 2003 American League Most Valuable Player award. It is a very deserving honor. The Rangers are proud of Alex's accomplishments."

Anyone think ARod is a Ranger on opening day?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

no, its virtually impossible to have the 70 million dollar payroll Hicks wants, and A-rod still on the roster.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

METS EYE 'SHEA-ROD'

By MARK HALE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A MOST VALUABLE COMMODITY:
Ranger shortstop (and future Mets?) Alex Rodriguez captured the American League's MVP award yesterday.
- Reuters
Email Archives
Print Reprint

November 18, 2003 -- The Mets have a second shot at Alex Rodriguez - and this time, they plan to take advantage of it.
The Ranger shortstop, who captured the AL MVP award yesterday, said he is keeping open his option to waive his no-trade clause.

And, according to a source, the Mets plan to pursue what it would take to acquire him.

The news signals a radical departure from the Mets' stance just three years ago. After 2000, the free-agent Rodriguez was a natural fit for Shea. But Met brass chose not to pursue him. Neither party has tasted the playoffs since.

In A-Rod's case, the losing appears to have caught up with him. On a conference call yesterday to announce his MVP selection, Rodriguez said the Rangers have approached him about a specific trade and he countered by giving them some options.

"Management has approached me with a situation and some choices," Rodriguez said. "I'm just going to keep my doors open right now.

"I did not approach management. Management approached me. I'm just going to leave the door open and give [owner] Tom Hicks some options and choices. I also might be back with the Texas Rangers."

Asked specifically whether he'd waive his no-trade clause for the Mets, Rodriguez replied, "As far as New York or all the stuff that's out there, I'm just going to keep an open mind."

Of course, it won't be easy for the Mets to acquire the game's best player.

To afford A-Rod, they will likely have to deal Mike Piazza, who has veto rights over a trade. It's unlikely Piazza would OK a move to Texas, so a third team would have to be involved.

The Mets will also have competition, as Rodriguez believed there had been talks with three or four teams about a trade. Boston, Baltimore and Anaheim could all pursue Rodriguez, who is believed to be unhappy with Texas manager Buck Showalter.

Ranger GM John Hart, meanwhile, confirmed teams' interest in A-Rod and said Hicks "has had conversations with Alex regarding those inquiries and to alert him about potential options."

"We are not trying to trade Alex," Hart insisted. "But our reality is we have had three last-place finishes and we are going to go with younger players. Ultimately, we believe Alex is going to be the cornerstone around which we grow this young club. But if somebody wowed us with something, we would listen."

Hicks added that "I have no interest in trading Alex," while Hart calculated the odds as being "very long" of A-Rod's leaving Arlington. But it is a longshot the Rangers are open to exploring.

"I'd never say absolutely never," Hicks said. "Somebody might offer something that would have to make us think."

By acquiring A-Rod, the Mets would be acquiring a player who's owed $184 million over the next seven years. But they also would be acquiring the game's best player, who, at 28, is very much in his prime.

In 2003, Rodriguez paced the AL in homers (47), runs (124) and slugging percentage (.600) while hitting .298, driving in 118 runs and winning his second straight Gold Glove. He joined Andre Dawson of the 1987 Cubs as the only MVP winners from last-place clubs, racking up 242 points to Carlos Delgado's 213. Rodriguez was runner-up in 1996 and 2002.

But the news now is about his future and whether he'll spend it with the Rangers. A-Rod dismissed the notion that he wants out ("I've never said that") and insisted there's nothing he wants more "than to win a championship with Texas."

"That's up to management," he said. "They have to make up their mind where they're going."

The Mets have decided. They'll make a play for the game's best player.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:26 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I'd hate to lose the player not the salary. If he does go to the Mets, I hope we get something good.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #14
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

i echo that