Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

From NBA.com today

Forwards: Kevin Garnett (Min) 294,632; Tim Duncan (SA) 203,929; Chris Webber (Sac) 146,500; Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 100,190; Peja Stojakovic (Sac) 81,014; Rasheed Wallace (Por) 47,589; Elton Brand (LAC) 46,226; Scottie Pippen (Por) 44,723; Shawn Marion (Pho) 39,529; Rick Fox (LAL) 37,973.

Guards: Kobe Bryant (LAL) 363,184; Steve Francis (Hou) 147,186; Gary Payton (Sea) 103,697; Stephon Marbury (Pho) 91,792; Anfernee Hardaway (Pho) 70,267; Michael Finley (Dal) 65,768; Mike Bibby (Sac) 51,304; Nick Van Exel (Den) 51,006; Jason Williams (Mem) 48,198; Steve Nash (Dal) 45,369.

Centers: Shaquille O’Neal (LAL) 408,406; Vlade Divac (Sac) 71,328; David Robinson (SA) 61,366; Lorenzen Wright (Mem) 20,062; Dale Davis (Por) 13,081; Raef LaFrentz (Den) 12,369; Shawn Bradley (Dal) 12,097; John Amaechi (Utah) 9,391; Michael Olowokandi (LAC) 9,019; Kelvin Cato (Hou) 6,564.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2001, 06:47 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Shawn Bradley (Dal) 12,097

Mavinator and EvilMav must be tired! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:42 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well..dirk should obviously be at least 1 spot higher at the forward voting
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:46 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think that Dirk will be elected by the fans for next year's All-Star Game. Duncan seems to have a surly personality and Dirk is much more personable.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:04 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know when he'll start getting alot of national recognition... however, the big problem is that he doesn't seem to get much recognition even in the Metroplex..so how can he expect to get much recognition nationally.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:10 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

Once he does his thing at the All Star Game Dirk will have the big-time national recognition. He's already pretty big - twice as many votes as Marion. And the Metroplex sucks at supporting any sports stars except the Cowboys.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:19 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

i know..it's amazing how little publicity dirk actually gets in the metroplex...if he was playing in many other markets, he would definitely be considered a top 4-7 player nationwide
Old 12-19-2001, 01:59 AM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Because of the past history of the Mavs, Dirk hasn't gotten nearly the media exposure of the 3 people ahead of him--or even of some of those behind him. I mean, Webber has barely played this year--his 3rd place is completely based on his massive exposure previously. Last year was the first time the Mavs had any national exposure, and they have yet to play on national TV now when Dirk is having his breakout season. Once Dirk starts getting the national exposure Webber and Garnett have had (I leave out Duncan for the moment because he has a ring which is an type of earned exposure that none of the other 3 have) through the coaches putting him in the all-star game and through the Mavs earning TV time by winning, then he has a very good chance starting next year to get voted in as a starter.

Frankly, the same thing applies to Nash--otherwise he wouldn't be behind Jason Williams or Bibby (who has the advantage of stepping into the Kings).
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:19 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

of course..i understand that. i think everyone does
Old 12-19-2001, 04:20 AM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

About sixteen of the votes for Big #44 belong to Evilmav... I'll have to remember to keep voting for the future All-Time Leading Shot-Blocker in NBA History...

B
Old 12-19-2001, 11:02 AM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well by the votes so far it looks like Dirk will not be a starter... but how many forwards does the team take for the All-Star game?

Here's a scenario that may happen in which Dirk gets screwed (again):

Duncan and Garnett will make it as starters. The coach picks the reserves and selects Webber for his recognition and Peja for a small forward (since they don't have one).

I hope it doesn't happen but I have the gut feeling that Dirk will be screwed, somehow.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 11:10 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

yeah..dirk could get screwed...
how many players do they carry for the all-star game??
12 or 15?

well, there's really no way to justify him not being in the all-star game...but, it could happen
Old 12-19-2001, 12:22 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I don't think there will be any problem with Dirk being on the All-Star team. If he's not a starter (which is probably unlikely do to it being the fans and they vote for the name they know the best ie: Webber and he hasn't played that much this year) he'll most certainly be voted in by the coaches as a reserve.... Without question!
Old 12-19-2001, 01:01 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

he should be given the nod by the coaches..but it's arguable that he should have been the all-star on the mavs team last year and didn't quite make it
Old 12-19-2001, 03:32 PM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

It's no secret that the coaches love/hate Dirk, would love to have him on their team and hate to play against him. Dirk may not get elected to first team but he will make it by being selected by the coaches.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:06 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Last year it was arguable that he should have made it. This year he's upped his game another notch and the rest of the league knows it. The all-star team has 4 slots reserved for forwards (2 popularly voted starters and 2 coaches' decision) and 2 'wild card' slots that can be any position (both coaches' decision) plus a coaches decision reserve for center as well.

The West is very strong at forward so they are going to use at least one of the wild card slots for a forward and could go as far as using both wild card slots for a forward and the center reserve for a f/c. Barring major injury I expect the 4 slots will be KG, Duncan, Webber, and Dirk with Malone, Peja, Brand, Marion and possibly Wallace competing for the wild card slots.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:00 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Penny hardaway ahead of Fin in the guard voting? Thats shameful
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 09:46 PM   #18
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

So here is the latest, as of december 26.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Forwards: Vince Carter (Tor) 616,104; Grant Hill (Orl) 215,073; Antoine Walker (Bos) 177,965; Shareef Abdur-Rahim (Atl) 127,296; Kenyon Martin (NJ) 74,119; Glenn Robinson (Mil) 70,880; Keith Van Horn (NJ) 57,099; Antonio Davis (Tor) 53,385; Clifford Robinson (Det) 38,108; Jamal Mashburn (Cha) 34,746.

Guards: Allen Iverson (Phi) 370,118; Michael Jordan (Was) 360,174; Tracy McGrady (Orl) 204,974; Jason Kidd (NJ) 155,694; Ray Allen (Mil) 155,415; Paul Pierce (Bos) 79,220; Latrell Sprewell (NY) 50,692; Jerry Stackhouse (Det) 46,925; Reggie Miller (Ind) 32,101; Baron Davis (Cha) 31,662.

Centers: Dikembe Mutombo (Phi) 257,277; Jermaine O'Neal (Ind) 144,499; Alonzo Mourning (Mia) 121,267; Hakeem Olajuwon (Tor) 88,564; Marcus Camby (NY) 88,363; Ben Wallace (Det) 47,100; Patrick Ewing (Orl) 34,619; Ervin Johnson (Mil) 18,019; Elden Campbell (Cha) 15,296; Theo Ratliff (Atl) 15,223.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Forwards: Kevin Garnett (Min) 383,183; Tim Duncan (SA) 283,877; Chris Webber (Sac) 207,953; Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 135,047; Peja Stojakovic (Sac) 119,220; Elton Brand (LAC) 64,993; Rasheed Wallace (Por) 63,567; Scottie Pippen (Por) 62,239; Shawn Marion (Pho) 50,901; Rick Fox (LAL) 49,029.

Guards: Kobe Bryant (LAL) 475,121; Steve Francis (Hou) 186,178; Gary Payton (Sea) 138,143; Stephon Marbury (Pho) 121,335; Michael Finley (Dal) 93,466; Anfernee Hardaway (Pho) 91,035; Mike Bibby (Sac) 84,987; Nick Van Exel (Den) 67,383; Steve Nash (Dal) 67,171; Jason Williams (Mem) 66,067.

Centers: Shaquille O’Neal (LAL) 530,214; Vlade Divac (Sac) 105,402; David Robinson (SA) 93,675; Lorenzen Wright (Mem) 24,693; Shawn Bradley (Dal) 19,025; Dale Davis (Por) 18,334; Raef LaFrentz (Den) 18,004;; John Amaechi (Utah) 14,983; Michael Olowokandi (LAC) 13,704; Kelvin Cato (Hou) 11,885.

Guys we need to vote. It´s bad enough Dirk finishes behind Webber and Garnett, he might also fall behind Stojakovic, and that really shouldn´t happen. Finley and especially Nash should also get a few more votes.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 11:22 PM   #19
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to decide which is more pathetic: Shawn Bradley's 20,000 or Scottie Pippen's 60,000.

We gotta keep voting, mainly for the Big 3. I voted for Brand so that nobody ahead of Dirk would get my vote, which would in effect, nullify the vote I gave to Dirk. In lay man's terms, don't vote for KG, Duncan, or Webber.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 05:28 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

I wonder if Bradley received even ONE vote that wasn't a straight ticket vote for the Mavs.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:05 PM   #21
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

He got my vote on the basis of his exemplary defensive abilities...
Old 12-28-2001, 06:39 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

Did you vote for the other 4 Mavs on the All-Star ballot? That's what I mean by a straight ticket - all Mavs and nothing but Mavs.

I haven't given Bradley or Howard a vote yet. I've been putting the "other" forward spot to someone who can't beat out Dirk.