Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road
Default Who you gonna call...?

One by one Mark, Don, Donnie, Fin, Nash and Dirk have turned this franchise around from the pathetic state it was in during the bad ol' nineties. The first ghost to be knocked off was losing. Then losing on the road. Then all manner of dubious losing strings and streaks against other teams were exorcised one by one from the creaky attic and dark recesses of this franchise, by Nellie and his band of ghostbusters.

Alas, that nasty demon lurking in LA was slow to meet its demise. Longest home losing record drug on and on... and on and on. Cats with nine lives looked like short-timers compared to that evil scion. Count Shaquela required, it seemed, nothing less than an actual stake through the heart to be put at an end. 40 point leads were less effective than garlic. Finally the ghostbusters put an end to that streak in LA. But, one last ghost from LA haunted the franchise yet. Not since 90-91 had the Mavs managed to win two games (heaven forbid, two) against the Orange County poltergeists in a season.

Last night the ghostbusters grabbed that last ghost in the Mav closet, drug it out into the light of day and flayed the hide off the sucker. Yes! Kudos all around.

Now, if they can just get rid of some of those playoff ghosts from the 80's, they might even best Malone's pact with the devil. Come playoff time: Who we gonna call...?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Who you gonna call...?

The exorcism would have been much more meaningful if the LALs had their true HOF players out there, but give the Mavs credit for taking care of business and, as you said before Richard, keeping the pedal to the metal. The ball movement and defensive focus (save for the start of the 3rdQ) was outstanding. Jamison was not missing, Fin was aggressive, and Steve was able to rest a bit. Oh, and Walker? Best game (offensively) we've seen and man! a couple of beautiful passes. Dirk wasn't as sharp shooting (thumb a bit sore?), but did you see those assists he made? Wonderful music they orchestrated together...even Bradley contributed.

These last two weeks have shown that the team is understanding how they can play to be a true contender. This certainly took a bit more time than most of us predicted, although many thought like I did that it would take until January for them to get a rhythym. All I can say is that the rest of the midwest made a mistake by not getting more separation between they and our mavs, IMHO the current 4 loss difference from the Wolves in first place won't be enough to keep the mavs at bay.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Who you gonna call...?

Cool. I like the positive posts. Nice Richard. Very entertaining. The only problem is now I have that stupid Ghostbusters song from the 80's stuck in my head.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
The exorcism would have been much more meaningful if the LALs had their true HOF players out there, but give the Mavs credit for taking care of business and, as you said before Richard, keeping the pedal to the metal. The ball movement and defensive focus (save for the start of the 3rdQ) was outstanding. Jamison was not missing, Fin was aggressive, and Steve was able to rest a bit. Oh, and Walker? Best game (offensively) we've seen and man! a couple of beautiful passes. Dirk wasn't as sharp shooting (thumb a bit sore?), but did you see those assists he made? Wonderful music they orchestrated together...even Bradley contributed.

These last two weeks have shown that the team is understanding how they can play to be a true contender. This certainly took a bit more time than most of us predicted, although many thought like I did that it would take until January for them to get a rhythym. All I can say is that the rest of the midwest made a mistake by not getting more separation between they and our mavs, IMHO the current 4 loss difference from the Wolves in first place won't be enough to keep the mavs at bay.
True Mavdog, that the Lakers were a bit under staffed. But, boy o boy, how many of those wins they got against us since 90-91 were the result of the mavs being understaffed or be-set by more injuries. That's the nice thing about odds, they generally even out. And, while I think we either need Bradley and Fortson to get real consistent or get another mid-level center in by the trade deadline, I like the way this team is coming together, too. If WE can stay healthy, we can give anyone a run for their money.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by: LordOfTheMavs
Cool. I like the positive posts. Nice Richard. Very entertaining. The only problem is now I have that stupid Ghostbusters song from the 80's stuck in my head.
Sorry 'bout that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But isn't it better than the Mavs having the Lakers stuck in their heads?!

Old 01-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
True Mavdog, that the Lakers were a bit under staffed. But, boy o boy, how many of those wins they got against us since 90-91 were the result of the mavs being understaffed or be-set by more injuries. That's the nice thing about odds, they generally even out.
makes sense, but when we're talking about the Lakers it seems that the "even[ing] out" is taking way too long...but then maybe the time is at hand! even with the LAL players out there last night it was still fun to see them look so weak. Perhaps it is a harbringer of the things to come (here's the wishful thinking) after Kobe leaves this summer and Shaq gets to long for the easy life away from the BBall madness that is the NBA.

Quote:
And, while I think we either need Bradley and Fortson to get real consistent or get another mid-level center in by the trade deadline, I like the way this team is coming together, too. If WE can stay healthy, we can give anyone a run for their money.
I was having this discussion last night during the game...the use of Bradley and Fortson on an "as needed" basis, or in other words putting either of them in a game as the matchup dictates, seems to working well in conjunctiuon with the Dirkster playoing the 5. I am not as pessimistic on Dirk's ability at that spot as some seem to be, when one looks at the rest of the western centers just how many does Dirk not match up well against? If that is a credible position (which it is..) than the mavs should hold 'em and NOT make anymore changes to the roster. Another center? fuhgetaboutit, let's go to battle with who we have.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Richard

[quote]
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:

I was having this discussion last night during the game...the use of Bradley and Fortson on an "as needed" basis, or in other words putting either of them in a game as the matchup dictates, seems to working well in conjunctiuon with the Dirkster playoing the 5. I am not as pessimistic on Dirk's ability at that spot as some seem to be, when one looks at the rest of the western centers just how many does Dirk not match up well against? If that is a credible position (which it is..) than the mavs should hold 'em and NOT make anymore changes to the roster. Another center? fuhgetaboutit, let's go to battle with who we have.
I think we agree in large part Mavdog. The way they are playing right now, I wouldn't move one of the "big five" because I feel like we HAVE to have another center. Now, like Cuban says, if someone offers us something stupid by way of center, we take it (unlikely). Or, if we can move some combination of non-big five and Cuban cash and get an up grade there, I think we take it.

Also, I still differ as to your apparent position that we are OK playing Dirk alot at center. Just too much of a hole there defensively (IMHO) and as I've posted before, I think having to work hard in the middle takes enough from his offensive game that it isn't worth the investment. I am hoping Bradley and Fortson keep taking enough pressure off him there that we are OK or we dig up another mid line center from somewhere.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Who you gonna call...?

Great post Richard.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Great post Richard.
Hey, thanks Drbio. I've noticed when posting, some days you're toasted, some days you're just toast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]