Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yankees to sign Maddux? WTF?

ESPN is reporting a story that suggests Greg Maddux will sign with hte Yanks later this week. If true, how the hell can anyone in the AL compete?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Yankees to sign Maddux? WTF?

Actually Drbio...........this gets very interesting.

WABC-TV, WFAN radio and Fox 5 all in NYC are reporting that Maddux will sign with the Yanks. All three are pretty much reliable sources. WFAN radio is the most reliable of the three as the other two dont really have credit built up for them yet.

But the most un-reliable of sources in NYC, The New York Post is reporting that there is no deal. Yanks GM Brian Cashman has even told the Post and MLB.com that the Yankees have never talked to Maddux or his agent Scott Boras, except for the A-Rod deal.

And reports in Chicago on ESPN radio there has Maddux signing with the Cubs in mere hours.

However, WFAN is now reporting what all we Yankee fans knew all a long. This is George's doing.......and Cashman, his teams own GM, might have had no idea at all. This is not the first time this has happened. Cashman has been left out of the "circle" before. And George seems hell-bent on making a statement to the Red Sox's,......... "Your best off-season still wont be good enough".......or something along those lines.

Either ways, We should know by the latest Thursday, where Maddux will be. If this truly is George's doing.........then Maddux will be in pinstripes........with the Yankees that is.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: Yankees to sign Maddux? WTF?

If George pulls this off, he will be owner of the decade by default.

amazing. I've never been a Yanks fan, but I am more interested in watching them play now than ever.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

The Boss does impress me with his willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Actually, since this is a Mavs board, I would chime in and say that I would love for Dallas and Mark Cuban to take the same kind of attitude. Spend the money, make the deals, do whatever is necessary to win. The good news is that it seems that this franchise is on its way. All we need is a championship.

Sounds easy...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33

Actually, since this is a Mavs board, I would chime in and say that I would love for Dallas and Mark Cuban to take the same kind of attitude. Spend the money, make the deals, do whatever is necessary to win. The good news is that it seems that this franchise is on its way. All we need is a championship.

Sounds easy...
Actually Mark has been the the Steinbrenner of basketball. The only difference is Steinbrenner works under no cap whatsoever and Cuban has to work under a capped structure so his hands are tied somewhat. He can only overspend on his own players, which he has done.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Steinbrenner can kiss my rosey red a$$. It's ridiculous that he will pay more in luxury tax alone then most teams total payroll. He pays more on his infield players alone then most team on there entire payroll. This has gotten totally out of hand and something needs to be done. If teams know they have NO chance at a ring then why would owners want to go out and spend the monsy to field competitive teams. They would just do enough to keep fans happy and make money. The Yankees are killing the sport I love and it's getting worse every year. I can't wait until the next bargaining agreement and the owners need to stick to there guns and hold out until something is done about it. I wouldn't care even if it took a year lock out to get this fixed. I'm already tired of baseball and TC is not even started.
When does NFL Fre-Agency begin? Baseball gives me tired head.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33

Sounds easy...
Maybe the difference is Joe Torre, regarding attitudes of both owners.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

For what it's worth, I think the Yankees and the Boss are what is right with baseball, and what is wrong with baseball.

The truth is, the Yankees want to win and are willing to do whatever it takes.
The bad news is that it is completely unfair to just about every other team in the Majors.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The Yankees' payroll for April 2004 is greater than the Milwakee Brewers' total 2004 payroll.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
The Yankees' payroll for April 2004 is greater than the Milwakee Brewers' total 2004 payroll.

that right there is what's wrong with baseball.

They need to do a system like the NBA. You could install a soft cap of $80 million. But you can go over that when resigning your own players. And if you do go over you get heavily penalized for doing so.
The Yankees would be able to keep there team intact but they just couldn't go after the top FA's year after year, after year because they would be over the cap. Until they install some kind of system like this baseball will keep declining in fan interest, except fans of the Yankees ofcourse.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to spend alot of money whenever you're the beneficiary of playing in the largest market in the United States.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:22 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
If George pulls this off, he will be owner of the decade by default.

amazing. I've never been a Yanks fan, but I am more interested in watching them play now than ever.
Same here Dr Bio ...it will be extremely interesting watching how this team handles the pressure of being the hands down favorite to win the World Series. Boston vs. New York will have crazy ratings.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I heard from the ssw that the cubs were going to sign him.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

ESPN is reporting that the deal is all but done. Maddux is going to cubs.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

I'll believe it when I see it officially. Until then, nothing would surprise me.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Dan, we lost him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] (nothing is perfect [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Tuesday, February 17, 2004
Updated: February 18, 4:00 AM ET

MADOUX SPENT [?] 6 SEASONS IN CHICAGO

Associated Press
MESA, Ariz. -- Welcome home, Greg Maddux.

You'll find Wrigley Field much as you left it, the wind blowing in and the ivy covering the walls. The Chicago Cubs are still playing most of their home games in the afternoons, and the bleachers remain the hottest ticket in town. As for Cubs fans, they're passionate and loyal, and boy, are they thrilled to have you back.

Maddux brought his career full circle Tuesday night when he decided to sign with the Cubs, the team that gave him his start in the majors. No official announcement was made, but a source close to the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press that Maddux agreed to a $24 million deal that could go as long as three years.

The third year of the deal will be guaranteed if Maddux reaches certain criteria, including pitching a preset number of innings in 2005.

Greg Maddux
Starting Pitcher
Free agent
2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM IP W-L BB SO ERA
36 218.1 16-11 33 124 3.96

The deal is pending a physical, but the 37-year-old Maddux could be at camp as early as Wednesday, when Cubs pitchers and catchers report. Maddux, who spent the last 11 years with the Atlanta Braves, was the last major free agent to agree to a deal.

Chicago general manager Jim Hendry wasn't available for comment late Tuesday, but the addition of Maddux, who is just 11 wins shy of 300, gives the Cubs one of the strongest rotations in the game. He'll join Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Matt Clement and Carlos Zambrano -- a foursome that took the Cubs within five outs of the World Series a year ago.

Maddux may not be the pitcher he was in his youth, but he is still one of the game's most effective ones. He went 16-11 with a 3.96 ERA last season -- his 16th straight year with at least 15 wins. He is second among active pitchers with 289 wins, 21 behind Roger Clemens.

He is 289-163 with a 2.89 ERA in his 18-year career.

Bringing Maddux back also goes along way toward soothing the angst of the Cubs faithful, who never forgave the team for letting him go in the first place. Maddux spent his first seven seasons in Chicago, going 95-75 and winning the first of his four straight Cy Young awards. But he left after the 1992 season in a money dispute and went to Atlanta, where he developed into one of the great pitchers of his era, a control freak who mixed speeds and locations.

He was 194-88 with a 2.63 ERA during his 11-year stint in Atlanta, setting an NL record for most consecutive innings without a walk and becoming the poster child for consistency with his streak of 15-win seasons.

He also helped make the Braves the dominant team in the NL. Atlanta won a division title every year he was there, as well as the 1995 World Series. The Cubs, meanwhile, wallowed in mediocrity -- or worse. They've had only five winning seasons since he left, and didn't make the playoffs again until 1998.

Going to a team that could win was believed to be high on Maddux's list of priorities, and he'll find the Cubs much different than what he's seen from afar these last few years. Dusty Baker brought a new attitude in his first season, and the Cubs responded with their first division title since 1989. They were on the verge of going to the World Series for the first time since 1945 until a meltdown against Florida in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series. Florida rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the series.

The Cubs should be even better this year. Hendry upgraded the bullpen, adding LaTroy Hawkins and Kent Mercker. He also traded for Gold Glove first baseman Derrek Lee, and bolstered the bench with Todd Walker and Todd Hollandsworth.

Although it says there isn't an official confirmation, it seems done.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #17
NYCdog

Quote:
But the most un-reliable of sources in NYC, The New York Post is reporting that there is no deal.
Well there it is folks, your witnessing history................The New York Post actually got one correct.

Actually, I'm happy he's not gonna be a Yankee. At this point now in his career, it would have been a near waste good payroll space. Maddux is clearly on the downside of his career. He's no longer the pitcher he once was. Atlanta realized that and let him walk. His rumored most interested destination San Diego realized this too and backed off offering the big money. So did San Francisco, which is why he passed up there offer. The Dodgers thought persueing him but instead decided to stand pat with Jeff Weaver cause Maddux's asking price was way to high. Baltimore didnt think to much of him either to offer him a big money contract. In fact, the only team to offer even close to the range of Maddux's high asking price was the Cubs, who needed him to try and match the Astros offseason moves. And to me, this is a desperate move by the Cubs just to keep up with the division rival Astros in the arms race. But this season, I believe that move will backfire against them.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
But the most un-reliable of sources in NYC, The New York Post is reporting that there is no deal.
Well there it is folks, your witnessing history................The New York Post actually got one correct.

Actually, I'm happy he's not gonna be a Yankee. At this point now in his career, it would have been a near waste good payroll space. Maddux is clearly on the downside of his career. He's no longer the pitcher he once was. Atlanta realized that and let him walk. His rumored most interested destination San Diego realized this too and backed off offering the big money. So did San Francisco, which is why he passed up there offer. The Dodgers thought persueing him but instead decided to stand pat with Jeff Weaver cause Maddux's asking price was way to high. Baltimore didnt think to much of him either to offer him a big money contract. In fact, the only team to offer even close to the range of Maddux's high asking price was the Cubs, who needed him to try and match the Astros offseason moves. And to me, this is a desperate move by the Cubs just to keep up with the division rival Astros in the arms race. But this season, I believe that move will backfire against them.
Ohh please, it's getting really deep in here with all this shat your feeding..

Just like a typical Yankee fan. If he was to sign with Yankees you would have been in here gloating as usual about what a great addition he will be to the team and how he will anchor one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. The Yankees do not have any BIG GAME pitchers and could have used Maddux's veteren presence. But o'well I guess Steinbrenner will just have to shell out another 100 million to get Pedro Martinez next offseason.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:45 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

This is curious, even when in the MLB official page and in the Cubs official page they say Maddux is already with the Cubs, it is not officially official yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 11:13 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

I wonder if the Rangers even called Maddux? [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #21
NYCdog

Quote:
Ohh please, it's getting really deep in here with all this shat your feeding....

Just like a typical Yankee fan. If he was to sign with Yankees you would have been in here gloating as usual about what a great addition he will be to the team and how he will anchor one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. The Yankees do not have any BIG GAME pitchers and could have used Maddux's veteren presence. But o'well I guess Steinbrenner will just have to shell out another 100 million to get Pedro Martinez next offseason.
Did you ever see me jumping up and down screaming "pull the damn trigger!" on this Maddux deal like I was doing in the "A-Rod to the Yanks" thread?

No.

So why make that stupid assumption that I would have sung the prases of Maddux's signing with the Yanks?

Cause I am a Yankee fan? I think you better check yourself on that one, son............

For the record............even if he did sign with the Yankees, I wouldnt have been gloating about it. My aasessment of Maddux at this point in his career wasnt form a jilted Yankee fan point of view..........but an objective baseball fan's point of view. And my point of view was shared by other baseball clubs who let Maddux walk then throw big bucks at him.

Geez..........I wonder why all those baseball clubs would do such a thing? Maybe cause Maddux really isnt worth all that money he demands. Maybe because he is way past his prime.

I didnt think the Yankees needed to overpay Maddux to shore up the pitching department. He's not the one they needed. Andy Petitte, whom George let walk, was the guy WE NEEDED. He's the most clutch and reliable pitcher we have had since the run began 1996. He's a guy I would have gloated about signing.......not Maddux.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
Ohh please, it's getting really deep in here with all this shat your feeding....

Did you ever see me jumping up and down screaming "pull the damn trigger!" on this Maddux deal like I was doing in the "A-Rod to the Yanks" thread?

No.

So why make that stupid assumption that I would have sung the prases of Maddux's signing with the Yanks?

Cause I am a Yankee fan? I think you better check yourself on that one, son............

For the record............even if he did sign with the Yankees, I wouldnt have been gloating about it. My aasessment of Maddux at this point in his career wasnt form a jilted Yankee fan point of view..........but an objective baseball fan's point of view. And my point of view was shared by other baseball clubs who let Maddux walk then throw big bucks at him.

Geez..........I wonder why all those baseball clubs would do such a thing? Maybe cause Maddux really isnt worth all that money he demands. Maybe because he is way past his prime.

I didnt think the Yankees needed to overpay Maddux to shore up the pitching department. He's not the one they needed. Andy Petitte, whom George let walk, was the guy WE NEEDED. He's the most clutch and reliable pitcher we have had since the run began 1996. He's a guy I would have gloated about signing.......not Maddux.
no need to get testy you dog...just pointing out the obvious[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 01:24 PM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I wonder if the Rangers even called Maddux? [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
My guess is no - he doesn't fit the "youth movement" of rebuilding that we are doing. IE... $$$$$. Why should the fans expect Hicks to spend the money wisely on "pitching" - their greatest need? I do not believe anything that the Rangers MGMT says. They have removed every player that I have wanted to "back" in the last few years, and have won nothing. Hicks wanted A-Rod - but should have kept Pudge. He got rid of Raffy now, and Gonzo - and brought in Chan Ho. Now A-Rod is gone as well.

Let's see, now our 1st baseman is "young and unproven", our right fielder is "young and unproven", we have no catcher, and no pitching (neither starters or closer), and no shortstop; but all is well in Hicks pocketbook now, so fill up the seats.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Our first, second and third basemen could very well form the best infield in baseball in the next couple of years if not sooner. Tex, Blalock and Young are All Star caliber guys. If Young moves to short and Soriano plays second, our complete infield would contend as one of the best in baseball. The Rangers have the infield set....we need pitching now.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

offensive infield, yes... one of the main knocks on soriano is his defense. maybe he can turn that around.

i read that the rangers were thinking of putting him in center. is that true?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely true that they are THINKING of doing that, and I hope they do. The amount of trouble Soriano has throwing the ball 60-70 feet on a line troubles me. Maybe his speed in the outfield will give us better CF defense as well as a big arm throwing guys out. He has the arm, but he just is not accurate enough with it. I say put the guy in CF where his accuracy isnt nearly as important and find a SS in our farm system or via FA, (leave Young at 2B where he is comftorable).
Old 02-19-2004, 01:44 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

I hope they can convince him to play center. Then, move Nivar to short and allow Young to stay at second where he has been an absolute stud.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #28
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Maddux signed with the Cubs yesterday