Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default A point in favor of Bush: say NO to drugs

Bush policy to target prescription drugs

Tracking patients' use key part of new anti-drug effort
Monday, March 1, 2004 Posted: 11:00 AM EST (1600 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush's national anti-drug strategy will for the first time target the use of pain relievers, sedatives and stimulants for nonmedical purposes, a problem that has exploded in the last decade.

A key part of the strategy being released Monday involves government efforts to help states develop monitoring systems to track a patient's use of prescription medicine. The monitoring programs flag cases that indicate a pattern of abuse, such as "doctor shopping," where a patient gets prescriptions for drugs from multiple physicians.

Prescription medicine now ranks second, behind marijuana, among drugs most abused by adults and young people, said the report by the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy. It cited a recent study by the Health and Human Services Department.

Twenty states have prescription monitoring programs, the report said. John Walters, director of the drug policy office, said he expects to expand the program to 11 more states by next year. About $10 million in federal funds will bankroll the expansion.

With painkillers such as OxyContin and Vicodin widely available on the Internet, "pill mills" or rogue online pharmacies will come under increased scrutiny.

The Drug Enforcement Administration plans to aggressively pursue pharmacies selling controlled substances illegally over the Internet, an effort that will include deploying modern Web crawler technology to search out those peddling prescription drugs online.

Physician training and education programs will also be a part of the new campaign.

The Drug Policy Alliance, a New York-based group that promotes alternatives including the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes, was skeptical of Bush's strategy. It saw unintended consequences that will end up causing more pain and suffering.

"The principal impact of this campaign when you step up the law enforcement response is that doctors will err on the side of under-treating pain," said alliance Executive Director Ethan Nadelmann. "So any time a doctor is dealing with a patient in pain, their first instinct is not to prescribe enough."

Since 1995, emergency room visits from prescription drug abuse have risen 163 percent, the report said.

To highlight the problem among youth, it noted a University of Michigan study that found abuse by high school seniors of Vicodin more than double the use of cocaine, Ecstasy or methamphetamine. One in 10 seniors, it said, reported nonmedical use of the painkiller.

Mark Surks of Kendall Park, New Jersey, who lost his son, Jason, a few months ago to a drug overdose, said he had no idea the 19-year-old was buying OxyContin and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax on the Internet.

"I was blindsided," Surks said. "There was no evidence that my son had ever been using any kind of drugs. He was a good kid. He was involved in the religious community, in sports and in music. He had tons of friends. It never crossed my mind that prescription drugs were a problem."

Surks praised the new focus by the White House on prescription drugs.

Bush outlined other facets of his anti-drug strategy during his State of the Union address in January. They include additional financing for drug-prevention efforts and a sharp increase in funds for schools that want to use drug testing to expand early intervention programs.

His proposal to boost funding from $2 million to $23 million for student drug testing has come under fire from some parents, school administrators and civil liberties groups concerned about privacy violations and the effectiveness of the testing.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:A point in favor of Bush: say NO to drugs

To be chaired by Rush Limbaugh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself...it was just too easy)
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
To be chaired by Rush Limbaugh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself...it was just too easy)
Well.... it was sorry.... that part is true.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

No humor today?

Seriously though, this caught my attention:
Quote:
His proposal to boost funding from $2 million to $23 million for student drug testing has come under fire from some parents, school administrators and civil liberties groups concerned about privacy violations and the effectiveness of the testing.
Is this not money down the drain? we are going to spend $23M in an attempt to catch teenagers who are already abusing these drugs (and as stated above whose effectiveness in combating the abuse is questioned ), while there are not enough $ out there for 1) educational programs for teens on the pitfalls of abuse, and 2) $ to help pay for the rehab of those who have fallen victim.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: A point in favor of Bush: say NO to drugs

As we say, "something is something", all the more if it is coming from Bush.

[Also: "from the lost, what it is found", something like "a bit is better than nothing"]
Old 03-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
No humor today?

Seriously though, this caught my attention:
Quote:
Is this not money down the drain? we are going to spend $23M in an attempt to catch teenagers who are already abusing these drugs (and as stated above whose effectiveness in combating the abuse is questioned ), while there are not enough $ out there for 1) educational programs for teens on the pitfalls of abuse, and 2) $ to help pay for the rehab of those who have fallen victim.
Homeroom drug testing? Whats next?

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

What's next is a federally funded "Pee in a Cup" Day.

Seriously, why do schools need to be involved in this? Do parents no longer have ANY responsibility to look after their children?
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not in favor of testing students, but had it been Clinton who had proposed this, all the dimocraps would be raving about it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:58 PM   #9
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I'm not in favor of testing students, but had it been Clinton who had proposed this, all the dimocraps would be raving about it.
That will be the day a public school is going to have my kids pee in a cup.

And no Doc, I would not have liked it any better if Clinton had proposed it.

And, what does Bush, or anyone else for that matter, suggest be done with the multitude of students that test positive. . . kick them out of school and out on the streets to buy, sell and do more drugs. At least the drugged up kid is contained in a run down building with weird looking teachers to trip on. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

I think it is worth the mere fact that the parents realize that their kid is flying high.

I don't see any reason to kick those students out of the school, but I see a way to help them to get the crap off of their lifes.

Maybe this time the ends justify the means. We are talking about that the statistics showed -one out of 10 students uses those drugs- are, if not alarming, at least worrisome.