Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was waiting for MadApe to post this, but...

... since this happened yesterday, and I think it would just be plain wrong to not post anything about Apes rampaging at the Dallas Zoo I thought I would post this while it is still timely...

Charging gorilla killed by police after hurting 4

By KATIE MENZER, JASON TRAHAN and GRETEL C. KOVACH / The Dallas Morning News

DALLAS, TX. — Jabari, a 13-year-old western lowland gorilla, escaped from his 2-acre enclosure at the Dallas Zoo on Thursday evening and attacked several people before charging at police officers, who fired three shots. The gorilla bit a 26-year-old mother and her 3-year-old son several times and threw them against a wall, police and witnesses said.

Two others were also injured during the gorilla's terrifying 40-minute romp through the forested jungles of the Wilds of Africa exhibit before police marksmen or zoo workers armed with tranquilizer guns could gain a clear shot, zoo officials said.

When SWAT team officers finally felled the rampaging 300-pound gorilla, it collapsed on the abandoned sandals of fleeing children.

"We felt terrible we had to put this animal down."

The zoo, at 650 South R.L. Thornton Freeway, near South Ewing Street, has been in financial straits and the nonprofit Dallas Zoological Society recently proposed a county takeover.

Zoo officials said their funding troubles were not a factor in Thursday's events. But they do not know how Jabari escaped from the award-winning gorilla-conservation area surrounded by a 16-foot concave wall.

"He had to have scaled the wall," zoo director Rich Buickerood said. But "this habitat is among the best in the country. This blows our minds."

One woman said she sheltered a group of children against a wall after she watched the gorilla break out of his enclosure.

"He was banging on the door and broke it down, then he jumped out," Diana Gonzalez told WFAA-TV (Channel 8). "He was growling and yelling."

Ms. Gonzalez said she and several children were able to exit the building without injury, but they saw the gorilla jump on top of another woman.

Hundreds of zoo-goers fled the compound and others hid inside the zoo restaurant and the monorail surrounding the Wilds of Africa exhibit while authorities tried to subdue the animal.

Jabari darted in and out of the thick bamboo and trees before he emerged on the Nature Trail about 5:30 p.m. and charged the two officers, police said.

"In a dense forested situation, any type of shooting is dangerous," said Mr. Buickerood. "Finding the animal was a problem, and immobilization weapons are powerful enough to kill a person. We worried about a missed shot."

He said he did not know why employees, armed with pepper spray, did not use it on the gorilla.

Keisha Thomas, who was bitten on the leg, and her son Rivers Noah, are shaken but recovering, said Bernard Hanyard, Ms. Thomas' boyfriend. He was at Parkland Memorial Hospital with them late Thursday while they were being treated.

"He's a tough little guy," he said, referring to 3-year-old Rivers. "The gorilla bit him on the side, but he's going to be OK."

Cheryl Reichert of Mesquite apparently shielded several children from the gorilla before it snatched her in the aviary exhibit, according to one of the children she was chaperoning.

Her husband, Dennis Reichert, said zoo officials called him at work to tell him about the attack on his wife and said his three young children were upset but safe.

"At least it wasn't a lion," Mr. Reichert said while standing outside the zoo Thursday evening.

Ms. Reichert was treated at Methodist Dallas Hospital.

Although authorities characterized all the physical injuries as "minor," many patrons said they felt terrorized by Jabari's escape.

"It was petrifying. We were about a hundred feet away from the gorilla. He was moving in and out of the trees, we had nowhere to go," said Beatrice Vallejo, who was trapped with nine children enjoying a day off from school during spring break.

Police said about 300 people were at the zoo when the gorilla escaped. Zoo officials sounded the code red alert signifying an escaped animal at 4:48 p.m. Dozens of officers were ordered to the zoo, including tactical units.

Zoo weapons teams ran for tranquilizer guns in two locked administrative offices while other employees evacuated screaming patrons from the grounds, zoo officials said.

It wasn't the first time that an escaped gorilla had injured someone at the zoo.

A 25-year-old zookeeper was mauled by a gorilla at the Dallas Zoo in November 1998 after the door to the animal's cage was left open, zoo officials said at the time.

Hercules, a 340-pound male silverback gorilla, was tranquilized with a dart gun after the woman escaped. The attack lasted more than a half-hour, leaving her with more than 30 puncture wounds. In that attack, zoo guests were not in jeopardy.

Zoo officials have for several years said their facility is underfinanced.

The nonprofit Dallas Zoological Society is trying to persuade Dallas County commissioners to take over the 114-year-old zoo. The society has proposed that the county ask voters to approve a property tax of up to 3 cents per $100 valuation to finance the zoo's operations.

Under the proposal, the county would take over ownership of the zoo from the city, with a zoo board to govern operations.

A county property tax, when combined with other revenue, could allow the zoo a $22 million operating budget and create $18 million a year to complete an ambitious, long-range master plan.

Mr. Buickerood said last month that a shortage of money had led to a decline in the number of workers at the zoo and had prompted maintenance to be postponed. A January audit by the city warned that a lack of employees "may lead to decreased productivity and increased employee turnover."

"We're stagnating," he said then. "It's getting harder to maintain and operate on the money we've got."

Mr. Reichert, whose wife, Cheryl, was attacked by the gorilla, said the family purchased a season pass to the zoo a few weeks ago and probably would not abandon it even after Thursday's events.

"The zoo is a good thing. It's unfortunate what happened," he said.

But "she probably won't go by the gorillas again," he added, referring to his wife.

Destiney Diaz, 8, was with Ms. Reichert when she was attacked, said she was never going back to the zoo again.

"I was really scared," she said.

Zoo officials said it was a sad day for them, not least because replacing the gorilla could be "impossible."

"It's obviously a black eye, and what I fear is the impact it might have on attendance," said Richard Geiger, a member of the zoo board's executive committee. He said the Wilds of Africa rates among the top 10 nationwide in zoo exhibits.

"It's a marvelous program, and we've got a wonderful habitat there."

Dallas Morning News staff writer Michael Grabell and WFAA-TV in Dallas contributed to this report.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE: I was waiting for MadApe to post this, but...

but we've heard for how many years now that a 300 pound gorilla sits wherever they want...

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road
Default RE:I was waiting for MadApe to post this, but...

OH...NO....DID ANYONE TELL PHIL JACKSON THAT SHAQ IS LOOSE AGAIN????
Old 03-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"darn dirty apes!"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Don't mess with apes, much less if they are female.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm..coincidence that this incident happens at the zoo and madape hasn't been around in a couple of days?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"He had to have scaled the wall," zoo director Rich Buickerood said. But "this habitat is among the best in the country. This blows our minds."

One woman said she sheltered a group of children against a wall after she watched the gorilla break out of his enclosure.

"He was banging on the door and broke it down, then he jumped out," Diana Gonzalez told WFAA-TV (Channel 8). "He was growling and yelling."
I know this is going to come off as tree-huggerish, but there is no sadder sight at a zoo, than the gorilla exhibit. They always look completely friggin miserable.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
This qualifies for the Norm Dad Joke of the week.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that redheaded apes were the most dangerous.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:05 AM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I heard that redheaded apes were the most dangerous.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
They didn't call me "'Rang" for nothing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (orangutan)
Old 03-21-2004, 01:17 AM   #11
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
I'm no AAAAAAAAAApe!!!

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote