Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Why is the second tiebreaker for a division title base on the conference record instead of the division record?

It would seem logical that division record would be weighed more heavily than conference record when determining how to handle a tie within the division.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

cause in the playoffs, YOU PLAY AGAINST TEAMS FROM OTHER DIVISIONS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

A better question is why do we still have division titles. Why not just seed everyone in the conference by record and do away with division? Since all teams in the conference play each other the same number of times regardless of division.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

cause in the playoffs, YOU PLAY AGAINST TEAMS FROM OTHER DIVISIONS.

I am not advocating this, but if that is the case than why not make the conference record mean more than head to head record?

I can see where conference record plays a rather large role. But, I think it makes sense to use the conference record 3rd in the tiebreaking scheme instead of 2nd when determining ties within the division.

Within the regular season, it would seem to me that the first goal of my team would be to win the divison. The next goal would be winning the conference. The final regular season goal might be the best record in the league.

In the Mavs' case right now, if they win tonight, they would finish 2nd in the division and 3rd in the conference because their conference record is worse than SA. But, their division record would be better than SA.

With the current higher premium placed on the conference record over division record it seems to me the intent of the tiebreaker hierachy is backwards IMO.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Old 04-16-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
roadrunner
Golden Member

<< A better question is why do we still have division titles. Why not just seed everyone in the conference by record and do away with division? Since all teams in the conference play each other the same number of times regardless of division. >>

This is a very good point.

This would also support the current tiebreaking scheme currently in place with the higher premium placed on the conference record.

Also, this would eliminate the need to seed one of the two division winners as the second seed even though the record may not be better than the 3rd seed or below.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I do not know if its a gr8 point. Every team knows about this rule before they start the season and thus u have equal chance to get the tie breaker.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

&quot;gr8&quot; is internet chatroom b.s... please refrain using it again.

anyways, doc, i've wondered the same thing all year long as well.. especially when it became apparent that the spurs would make a major charge at the Mavs
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

<< &quot;gr8&quot; is internet chatroom b.s... please refrain using it again.

anyways, doc, i've wondered the same thing all year long as well.. especially when it became apparent that the spurs would make a major charge at the Mavs
>>

It's gr8 that you've agreed to mentor the lad murph. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:39 AM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, murphy policing the board.
Isn't that like Lybia heading up the human rights committee?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Why is the second tiebreaker for a division title based on the conference record?

bump
just in case anyone was wondering about tiebreakers.

The mavs look to be in decent shape with the Wolves and Spurs if they end up tied with either. The Mavs have the 3-1 series lead over the Spurs.

The Mavs and the Wolves are tied at 2-2.
The Mavs are 27-17 in Conference and 11-10 within the Diviision
The Wolves are 24-16 in Conference and 8-9 within the Division

The Wolves have a 3 game lead in the loss column over the Mavs right now and a 1 game lead in the loss column as far as the conference record goes. So, if the Mavs are able to make up the 3 games in the loss column, the losses will most definitely come primarily within Conference for the Wolves.

On a side note, the Mavs split the season series with the Lakers.
The Lakers are sitting at 23-18 in Conference play.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Why is the second tiebreaker for a division title based on the conference record?

gr8.