Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-05-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default The #1 Draft pick.

It's going to be Okafor !

After tonight's UConn massacre...if JDwight Howard or Josh Smith is taken before Okafor...I'll puke.

He's so NBA ready it's just sick. The high school points just aren't.

Can we trade Walker to Orlando/Chicago for the #1 pick....I'll even throw in Delk. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:The #1 Draft pick.

It might be Okafor, it might be Dwight Howard, it could even be Sebastian Telfair....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The #1 Draft pick.

Agreed, OP. I can't imagine any GM's passing on him after tonight.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:29 AM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It shouldn't have taken tonight's game to make him the number one pick. The funny thing is that is still isn't etched in stone...but it would be if I had the pick...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Well, DDH old friend, get to work on scenarios that would get Okafor here !!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How about Walker to Chicago for AD and the #1 or some other crazy ass stuff !!

I'll run some things through real GM tomorrow....but that's a huge $ saving to Chicago.

(All this is tongue-in-cheek!)
Old 04-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

OP ive already discussed a few of these....

Trade Jamison for the #4

then ship walker, the #4 and some part to chicago for AD chandler and #1
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
OP ive already discussed a few of these....

Trade Jamison for the #4

then ship walker, the #4 and some part to chicago for AD chandler and #1
Do you think that you can trade Jamison for the #4? I don't mind the AD/Chandler/#1 for Walker/Jamison/Delk basically, but I don't think that Chicago would give up the #1, and I don't think Charlotte gives up the #4 for Jamison.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Jamison, rights to Daniels and next year's no. 1 for the no. 4 pick, assuming Okafor drops to 4.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Jamison, rights to Daniels and next year's no. 1 for the no. 4 pick, assuming Okafor drops to 4.
That's a lot to give up for Okafor. Is he worth it?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Yes
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Would Okafor be a decent center in the west?

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Okafor will not drop to #4, and the Bobcats almost certainly would not trade the #4 for AJ.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Sketchy as to how this might ultimately play out, but.....

Just in terms of value---would anyone give up Walker and Nash for next year's No. !?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Okafor is certainly the best player in a very weak draft. He's #1 without a doubt. But sorry, if the price is Walker and Jamison, I pass. I think all the other teams at the bottom of the standings pass too. More likely they'll CONSIDER Dirk or Nash for the pick... to that I say "F*CK you Joe Boo"! Again, I like Okafor, but he's not quite a franchise player in my book. He could prove to be an excellent low post defender and above average rebounder in the NBA, but he'll never be able to provide the offensive dominance that you expect out of a #1 pick. He's a 6/8" center with no jumpshot and an anemic low post game... not exactly the recipe for success in the West. In my opinion, his impact will be much more like that of Ben Wallace and Kenyon Martin than it will be of Shaq, Yao, Mourning, Olajuwan, or Robinson.

To get up to #1, you have to give up a lot. I'm not willing to sell this team off for a garage-sale #1 pick.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Okafor is certainly the best player in a very weak draft. He's #1 without a doubt. But sorry, if the price is Walker and Jamison, I pass. I think all the other teams at the bottom of the standings pass too. More likely they'll CONSIDER Dirk or Nash for the pick... to that I say "F*CK you Joe Boo"! Again, I like Okafor, but he's not quite a franchise player in my book. He could prove to be an excellent low post defender and above average rebounder in the NBA, but he'll never be able to provide the offensive dominance that you expect out of a #1 pick. He's a 6/8" center with no jumpshot and an anemic low post game... not exactly the recipe for success in the West. In my opinion, his impact will be much more like that of Ben Wallace and Kenyon Martin than it will be of Shaq, Yao, Mourning, Olajuwan, or Robinson.

To get up to #1, you have to give up a lot. I'm not willing to sell this team off for a garage-sale #1 pick.
This is kind of my thoughts. If I can get him for Walker + change, great, but I am uncertain of him being a franchise player, just because of his height.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Sketchy as to how this might ultimately play out, but.....

Just in terms of value---would anyone give up Walker and Nash for next year's No. !?
Yes. And smile all the way to the NBA finals. But I don't think we'd even have to throw in Walker to do it - we could then trade Walker for a point.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Okafor is a PF in the NBA. We already have one of those.

We need a center.

Kiki - To answer your question, no.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #18
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It's going to be virtaully impossible to get Emeka here.

But what interests me is what we might be able to get from the right team instead of him. Okafor might help some team decide to move in a brand new direction.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #19
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Okafor is a PF in the NBA. We already have one of those.

We need a center.

Kiki - To answer your question, no.
From ESPN.com
Scouting Report: The country's top defender, shot-blocker and rebounder ... A bruiser with impressive physical skills ... Owns outstanding speed and body control at 250-plus pounds ... Able to contest shots without fouling his opponent ... Possesses great shot-blocking instincts, attacking the ball rather than his man ... Also an emphatic rebounder ... Displays tremendous quickness off the floor on the second and third hop ... Tracks caroms out of his rebounding position ... Good outlet passer to ignite the fast break ... Has become a premier low post scorer ... Moves well with the ball, keeps the ball high and finishes strong ... Use great footwork and has an instinct for feeling out the weakside ... Shows a lot of touch for a big man on offense, and has an improving jumper ... A potential No. 1 NBA draft pick.

There is no reason to assume that Okafor can't play center. Mourning is 6-10, 260 and he was a damn fine center.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:30 PM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ben Wallace with a better offensive game.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Okafor's not nearly as big as Mourning was, and Mourning was short as centers go.

Okafor's a tremendous athlete and will be a good player in the league. No question about that. I'm just not certain that he's a center. He is built more like (and plays more like) Amare Stoudemire or Chris Bosh from what I can see than he is like a true center. He could play center in the East, but probably not in the West.

Kiki's question was whether you would trade Nash and Walker for Okafor, essentially. I know Nash is 30 years old, but he's a top 3 point guard in the league. He's a known quantity that still has several good years left. I'm not saying it's not a fair trade; I just don't think I'd make it. Remove Nash from this team and it becomes vastly different; probably NOT better.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #22
ddh33
Platinum Member

Quote:
That was my exact scouting report.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Quote:
That was my exact scouting report.

And only an idiot would turn that down.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Since I've been called an idiot, I'll go ahead and play out the scenario...

Trade Walker and Nash for Okafor. Obviously, we'd have to sign and then trade Nash (which would require his cooperation and consent), and we'd have to take back a couple of huge salaries to make the numbers work. I can't verify that this works because I don't know what Nash's maxed out amount will look like, but perhaps Nash and Walker for the No. 1, A. Davis, and Eddie Robinson would work under the cap.

Okafor - Bradley - A. Davis
Nowitzki - Najera
Howard - Jamison - E. Robinson
Finley
Daniels

That is a HUGE leap of faith regarding Daniels. It's one thing for him to start at SG and play some backup PG. It's another thing entirely for him to be the starting PG. No matter which way you slice it, you've gotten a lot better in the middle and a lot weaker at point.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are selling Okafor short (a lot of you anyway), he'll be a star. At 6'10 with long arms, he can play center. We saw last night how he’ll dominate a taller but less skilled opponent, which is what he'll face in the league. Dooby described him perfectly: Ben Wallace with offense. He may not be dream in his prime offensively, but he shot 60% last year. They all weren't dunks. It's also a faulty logic to assume there he's as good offensively has he's going to be. Ewing and Zo’s games blossomed when they got to the NBA and with his work ethic I'd expect the same from Okafor. OP, who has been tracking him since high school, can attest to how far he's come offensively already. On top of it all, you couldn't have a more solid character on your team. He'll be an all star and he'd make Dallas an instant contender. That being said, I don't see any way to get him here. If I could, I’d give up anybody on the team besides Dirk.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #26
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
You guys are selling Okafor short (a lot of you anyway), he'll be a star. At 6'10 with long arms, he can play center. We saw last night how he’ll dominate a taller but less skilled opponent, which is what he'll face in the league. Dooby described him perfectly: Ben Wallace with offense. He may not be dream in his prime offensively, but he shot 60% last year. They all weren't dunks. It's also a faulty logic to assume there he's as good offensively has he's going to be. Ewing and Zo’s games blossomed when they got to the NBA and with his work ethic I'd expect the same from Okafor. OP, who has been tracking him since high school, can attest to how far he's come offensively already. On top of it all, you couldn't have a more solid character on your team. He'll be an all star and he'd make Dallas an instant contender. That being said, I don't see any way to get him here. If I could, I’d give up anybody on the team besides Dirk.
I don't think I'm selling Okafor short. I think a Walker/Nash for Okafor/big salaries would be a fair trade. Okafor's going to be a very good player. But you're looking at taking 4-5 steps back to potentially take 1-2 steps forward. The team would badly miss Nash, and you can't replace him with some PG you can get for the MLE, unless Payton decides to come here, and Payton's not the player Nash is either.

That said, you hit on the most important part -- nobody's giving up the No. 1 pick. Certainly not for anything less than a young stud. Nash is too old, even with his considerable skills.

So this is really a moot discussion.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think I'm selling Okafor short. I think a Walker/Nash for Okafor/big salaries would be a fair trade.
I made my post before I read this.

Quote:
Okafor's going to be a very good player. But you're looking at taking 4-5 steps back to potentially take 1-2 steps forward. The team would badly miss Nash, and you can't replace him with some PG you can get for the MLE, unless Payton decides to come here, and Payton's not the player Nash is either.
I've thought long and hard about giving up Nash and it come down to this: Would I trade a top 5 pg who is 30+ and could slow down any day now for a young 4/5 who can defend and rebound now and score in a year or two. With much consternation I would, but it's mainly because of what I think of Okafor. You are taking a step back; I just like the Idea of placing a young skilled yet physical big man next to Dirk. The problem is that the team with the first would be stupid to trade for a 30+ player not named Shaq.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I love the idea of a Okafor/Nowitzki/Howard frontcourt in 2-3 years. That's a deadly frontline. Even though I think Okafor's really a PF/C type, that's what 90% of the league has anyway. Still, you'd have to come up with a guy to run the show offensively. Point guard is just as important as the guy in the middle. We're just so spoiled with excellent point guard play that we forget it sometimes.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #29
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Point guard is just as important as the guy in the middle. We're just so spoiled with excellent point guard play that we forget it sometimes.
I'd have to disagree with that when teams are wining titles with Avery Johnson, Tony Parker and Derrick Fisher. I like having a top pg, but I'd trade him any day for a comparable 4/5.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Woah nash and walker for okafor? I got ripped for wanting to trade nash and jamison for amare and amare is 10 times the player that okafor will ever be. Oafore is NOT 6-10 he is 6-8or roughly the height of josh howard or for those who want a center, danny fortsonwhom we all claim cant play center because he is too short. Okafor will be a serviceable player but he is not ben wallace because he doesnt have the leaping ability and he want be much better on O in the pros. I would honestly much rather have kwame brown than okafor and I believe that the mavs should look into that. btw that same guy from gt destroyed okafor the first time they played plus he has back problems so I just dont think that he is that good Ithink that he will be closer to Popeye jones than anything
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #31
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Point taken about the Spurs and Lakers, but I hope you're not already saying Okafor is going to be of Duncan's or O'Neal's caliber, especially on the offensive end. There are plenty of teams with excellent big men (Minnesota particularly comes to mind) who haven't had the point guard play and therefore haven't excelled.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #32
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Woah nash and walker for okafor? I got ripped for wanting to trade nash and jamison for amare and amare is 10 times the player that okafor will ever be. Oafore is NOT 6-10 he is 6-8or roughly the height of josh howard or for those who want a center, danny fortsonwhom we all claim cant play center because he is too short. Okafor will be a serviceable player but he is not ben wallace because he doesnt have the leaping ability and he want be much better on O in the pros. I would honestly much rather have kwame brown than okafor and I believe that the mavs should look into that. btw that same guy from gt destroyed okafor the first time they played plus he has back problems so I just dont think that he is that good Ithink that he will be closer to Popeye jones than anything
Where are you getting your information on his height? He's listed at 6'10 and when you see him on the court he's usually the tallest player on the court. He and Josh Howard are not the same height.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
btw that same guy from gt destroyed okafor the first time they played plus he has back problems so I just dont think that he is that good Ithink that he will be closer to Popeye jones than anything
What are you talking about? The 1st time they played Luke had 2 points and 3 boards. Okafor had 9 points and 13 boards with a bad back.

I'm not even going to dignify the Popeye Jones comment.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Here's Dr. Jack in today's chat:

Paul DC: You have got to be impressed by Okafor and Gordon. They were amongst the top players in College Basketball the entire season and totally dominated last night.....

Dr. Jack Ramsay: (4:07 PM ET ) I have the same reservations about Okafor...he's not an NBA center and will have problems at big forward...but a very good college player. Picture him against Shaq, TD, KG and the other top NBA bigs...He'll make it in the league...I don't expect him to be a franchise player.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #35
ddh33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Here's Dr. Jack in today's chat:

Paul DC: You have got to be impressed by Okafor and Gordon. They were amongst the top players in College Basketball the entire season and totally dominated last night.....

Dr. Jack Ramsay: (4:07 PM ET ) I have the same reservations about Okafor...he's not an NBA center and will have problems at big forward...but a very good college player. Picture him against Shaq, TD, KG and the other top NBA bigs...He'll make it in the league...I don't expect him to be a franchise player.
I don't have a lot of respect for Dr. Jack. He seems like a good man, but I don't think he's always clued in to the game anymore.

He is right about one thing though, Okafor is a little bit of a tweener. But he's going to be a very good pro player. I think his basketball IQ, general intelligence, athletic ability, and court savvy will carry him through. I don't expect him to be a 30 ppg guy, but he should be able to conistently get 17pts, 12 reb, 3 blocks a game.

I'd take it, and I would pay a lot to get it...Is that a franchise player? If Ben Wallace is, Emeka can be much more...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:49 PM   #36
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Anyone remember Kenyon Martin in college? Fantastic leaper, incredible shotblocker, no jumpshot, 6-9" center, injury questions, college superstar... picked #1 in a weak draft. They are virtually the same player. The only difference I can see is that one is a boy scout, and one in a bastard.

Question - would you trade Nash for Kenyon Martin straight up right now?

Hell no.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #37
aggiecurt05

aggiecurt05 is on a distinguished road

I would love to have Okafor as much as anyone here. Truth is, though, he will go in the top 2-3 if not the top spot, and people don't trade those picks except for a true superstar because that is what they are expecting from the pick they receive. We won't trade Dirk for that pick (that would be insane), and no one else on the team would land us that pick, probably not even any two others of our players (although Howard with Nash or walker might make someone think twice). Teams that have the number 1 pick (except for Houston who just got really lucky), aren't looking for great players that can't carry the team on their back, especially ones that are not young. If you have a top 3 pick, you are rebuilding, and you rebuild with young players, we only have two that fit that desciption. I just don't see this as likely in the least bit. If we want a big man, then this is not the way we will get one. Okafor would probably cost more to get than than Bryant, T-Mac, or Iverson, and several big men who, while not totally dominant (Dampier), still more than serviceable. Anyone have any ideas on trades for some top notch big men with teams willing to listen (my life would be made if we could pry away J Oneal from the Pacers, but Okafor is more likely than that)?
aggiecurt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Anyone remember Kenyon Martin in college? Fantastic leaper, incredible shotblocker, no jumpshot, 6-9" center, injury questions, college superstar... picked #1 in a weak draft. They are virtually the same player. The only difference I can see is that one is a boy scout, and one in a bastard.

Question - would you trade Nash for Kenyon Martin straight up right now?

Hell no.
Okafor is a better rebounder, a better shot blocker and a more conventional low post player. And let's at least give him a chance to get measured at the combine before we go declaring him 6'8 and 6'9. Come on Ape, I know you saw him dominate the 7'2 curly haired Aussie...doesn't that count for something
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 09:16 AM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant was defensively, Okafor went 2-10 and that was against a guy that is tall but not that skilled. He is shorter than the 6-10. Im sorry but I dont think he will be that great. However i hope that I am wrong because he seems like a great person and I always think that the league could use more stars that are really good guys.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #40
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I have to question trading a known quantity for "potential" draft pick anyway.
Let's take the last 5, #1 picks overall. James 21.1, Yao 17.7, KMart 17.0, Brand 19.9, and Kwame 10.9 PPG. Jamison, last year when he was the #1 option on the Warriors, avg. 22.2 PPG.

My question is this. Why would you trade Jamison for Okafor? Granted, Okafor "might" become Big Ben with offense. He also might become Kwame and score 10.9 a game. James, Yao, and Brand, IMO are franchise players, but KMart and Kwame haven't proven it yet. I will also admit that I am not comparing them at the same developmental level. My comparison was this years stats to Jamison's last year.

Jamison is a proven player who can average 20ppg if you design an offense around him. If not, he will be a 14-16 ppg player. Okafor has potential. So did Sam Bowie, and many others. I am not sure that even Okafor is worth Jamison though, unless he is a piece that fits better than Jamison. I also know that PPG is not the only thing you look at. I am only questioning the "trade Jamison for this pick" idea. I might do it for a guy with lots more potential and a better fit, but I know what I have in Jamison, and know how he fits. I am just curious why many here are on the bandwagon of "trade playerX for a high draft pick."