Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-16-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default Ah... What if Sheed were a Mav?

Hmm ... vindication?

Would anyone like to speculate how Rasheed Wallace's presence might have changed things for Dallas 2004? Or perhaps you still think he is a cancer?

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Ah... What if Sheed were a Mav?

I thought I made my position pretty clear on Rasheed.

In the end, I doubt it mattered. The Mavs didn't have the expiring contracts to get anything done. But I do enjoy being right about players [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:14 AM   #3
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

ddh - you & I were on the same page, I believe.

I checked the poll we ran back at the trading deadline & final numbers show 45% thought Sheed would be the key to bringing a championship to Dallas. Only about 25% voted cancer.

Piston's championship notwithstanding I wonder if Sheed would have really made a difference in Dallas? He seems to be a great fit with Detroit ... old school tough baller basketball. The Mavs just don't seem to play to his strengths.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Mavs just don't seem to play to his strengths."

I agree...he would have shot 5 or 6 three's a game and never posted up. Det was great fit for him.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Ah... What if Sheed were a Mav?

Rasheed just helped the cause of Det necause they have a coach who knew what he was doing. I think the more intriguing question would be how about firing Rick Carlisle when det made the conf finals. Great job by Joe DUmars.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I agree with both of you. I think Rasheed is very good player and much nicer guy than advertised. But I also think that he needs to be in the right kind of system.

Asking Rasheed to be the last line of defense in Dallas and play against much stronger guys wouldn't have been the best fit for him or Dallas. It would have been better than Walker, no doubt, but not necessarily ideal.

I think Dirk and Rasheed are similar in many respects. They are big, versatile forwards who need to play with a strong physical presence. That's why I want the Mavs to find someone to do a lot of the "Ben Wallace" work that this team needs. Of course, those guys are hard to find...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:47 AM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Sheed did well in Detroit, but I still wonder how he would have done in Nellie's three ring circus. Who knows he might have done a Chris Webber on Nellie. No question about Sheed's talent and he's answered the question about whether he could fit in in the right circumstances. I'm just not convince that Nellie being his coach would have been the right circumstances. Of course if we could fire Nellie and get a real coach I'd gladly give him a try. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rasheed would have been the perfect Center for a Nellie game. He would have played the middle, and rebounded. He is tough. He would have been able to step out and hit the 3. He doesn't have to control the ball or the game, he can let it come to him. He can be a star on the team, but didn't have to be on a nightly basis. He had a volcanic nature that Dallas needed.

I think that if Dallas would have figured out a way to trade Walker, for Rasheed (I think the asking price got to high) -- then Rasheed would have put the Mavs in the WCF or possibly in the finals. I also think they would have been playing Indiana instead of Detroit if Rasheed would have ended up in Dallas instead of Detroit. Of course this is just my opinion.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

If Sheed were a Mav . . .
He'd be in a system with little structural discipline, with little to no defensive effort, with minimal leadership, where everyone from the owner to the towel boy complains constantly to the officials, where the owner spoils his players beyond the wildest dreams of any 2-year old, and where the coach might ask you to becom "6th man" if you start performing too well.

In short, Sheed would be ripe for a blowup.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Playing Rasheed at center would be like playing Dirk at center. It just doesn't make much sense. Both Dirk and Sheed can't both play the 4 either. Could we use him as an oversized 3?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

Adding Brown last offseason would have made more difference in our championship prospects then adding Sheed at the deadline.

Though, if we had Brown instead of Nellie making that call, we might have had both - and a ring.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He would have played the middle, and rebounded. He is tough.
Before Rasheed went to Detroit, he was a very talented player who underachieved, didn't play hard on defense despite the ability to defend well, coasted on offense, had a hot temper that caused him to be one of the league leaders in technical fouls, and generally didn't give a crap about anybody or anything but himself. It was only a few months ago that Rasheed was proclaiming to the world that his only loyalty was to the guy that "CTC" -- the guy that cuts the check. Larry Brown took that incorrigible and self-centered Rasheed and turned him into the shotblocking, defending, rebounding big man and likeable and loyal teammate that we saw on display during the playoffs.

I don't believe that Don Nelson would have been able to do what Brown did. I don't think he would have even tried.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #13
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

personally, i think it has less to do with larry brown (although i do give him some credit) but more to do with teammates. it really only takes one energized, defensive-minded player on a team for others to follow his example. rasheed wallace had two such players in ben wallace and tayshaun prince (hope josh howard can turn into this guy) surrounding him. these guys were already good defensively before larry brown came to the pistons. you could argue portland had guys like scottie pippen, dale davis and ruben patterson, but pippen and davis were aging and patterson was primarily a bench player.

the mavs have nobody with the exception of maybe shawn, but he doesn't quite possess the energy that other guys can feed off of. the other best defensive players were guys who showed more potential than actual consistent ability (howard and daniels). nelson not only needs to preach defense, but make it a point to acquire defensive minded players, whether or not they can shoot a 3 pointer, instead of bringing in offensive minded players and making the excuse later that he's only working with what he has. Coach Nelson needs to hold GM Nelson accountable, too.

don nelson sucks
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
He would have played the middle, and rebounded. He is tough.
Before Rasheed went to Detroit, he was a very talented player who underachieved, didn't play hard on defense despite the ability to defend well, coasted on offense, had a hot temper that caused him to be one of the league leaders in technical fouls, and generally didn't give a crap about anybody or anything but himself. It was only a few months ago that Rasheed was proclaiming to the world that his only loyalty was to the guy that "CTC" -- the guy that cuts the check. Larry Brown took that incorrigible and self-centered Rasheed and turned him into the shotblocking, defending, rebounding big man and likeable and loyal teammate that we saw on display during the playoffs.

I don't believe that Don Nelson would have been able to do what Brown did. I don't think he would have even tried.
You are probably correct here. I have no idea what he or Nellie would have done with each other. I think that the skills he showed in Det
would have fit perfectly in Dallas. The motivation and discipline are another thing though, and you are most likely DEAD on about Nellie never even trying that one.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rasheed playing well in Detroit is no vindication for those that wanted him in Dallas. Until the team identity changes (which may take a coaching change), Rasheed has no place here. Just as adding Malone and his enormous ego didnt help the Lakers, adding Rasheed would not have helped us.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #16
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
Hmm ... vindication?

Would anyone like to speculate how Rasheed Wallace's presence might have changed things for Dallas 2004? Or perhaps you still think he is a cancer?
He would not have made that big of a difference. Pistons have the perfect compliment of players for his game. Mavs do not.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote