Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kerry Tabs Edwards

I called it....not that it was any great surprise.

1. Good choice...Edwards is popular in the south where the Dimocraps often underperform.

2. Do we really want a VP (who could be President in an instant if Kerry is gunned down) who has only one term of political experience?

Aw shucks...W is going to win anyways.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kerry Tabs Edwards

Yup, unfortunately a good choice. Now we can have the most liberal senator in the US senate, war-protestor, war-crimes committer teamed up with a class-action trial lawyer. Neither of whom have ever run a business unless you include edwards running some secretarial work.

The cream of the democrat party. Yuck.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Kerry Tabs Edwards

I'll admit, I was hoping for Hilary.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Adding the Senator from Carolina sure provides some regional balance to the ticket with the northeasterner Kerry, but it places two Senators on the same ticket. A senator hasn't won the Pres since Kennedy, having two may make it twice as tough.

Second, the presumptive nominees have divergent views on trade issues that was well displayed in the nomination sweepstakes. I don't expect Kerry to become a protectionist nor the demo platform to sound less free trade, so Edwards will need to change his tune.

Kerry does get a strong speaker and a strong contrast to Cheney. A very youthful image on this ticket.

As far as the fact that Edwards has only had one term under his belt, that's not any less tenure in office than GWBush had as a governor.

Wait, in retrospec our current Pres has shown that the lack of past tenure in office is critically important, as the lack of such in GW's case hasn't been too impressive...
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

*yawn*
Old 07-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

KERRY/EDWARDS...awsome ticket...
Old 07-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

It would be better if the ticket was flipped to Edwards/Kerry.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Adding the Senator from Carolina sure provides some regional balance to the ticket with the northeasterner Kerry, but it places two Senators on the same ticket. A senator hasn't won the Pres since Kennedy, having two may make it twice as tough.

Second, the presumptive nominees have divergent views on trade issues that was well displayed in the nomination sweepstakes. I don't expect Kerry to become a protectionist nor the demo platform to sound less free trade, so Edwards will need to change his tune.

Kerry does get a strong speaker and a strong contrast to Cheney. A very youthful image on this ticket.

As far as the fact that Edwards has only had one term under his belt, that's not any less tenure in office than GWBush had as a governor.

Wait, in retrospec our current Pres has shown that the lack of past tenure in office is critically important, as the lack of such in GW's case hasn't been too impressive...
Fortunately running a state the size of texas (what is the gdp france or something??) is a huge improvement over a trial lawyer senator from a state where he couldn't win re-election.
Bush should take a back-seat to no one for his stewardship of texas, it's imminently more qualifying than either senator in almost every way.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

well.....dude beat me to it. Not to mention that Bush ran several multi-million dollars companies prior to his political career.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
It would be better if the ticket was flipped to Edwards/Kerry.
They would probably have a better chance that way.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Edwards is not popular in the south. He will not enable Kerry, an ultra-liberal Massachusetts Democrat, to win any southern states. Edwards wouldn't even be able to win re-election in his own home state. He's proven himself far too liberal for southern voters. If this choice was made in order to help Kerry in the south, it was a pitiful choice.

The minute the Dems nominate Kerry as their presidential candidate is the minute they lose every single southern state, including Florida.

Edwards is a pick of desparation, if anything.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

This is a transcript for the new Bush Ad called "Kerry's First Choice". Of course, Kerry wanted to tab Senator McCain as his running mate. And of course, Kerry failed. It won't be the last failure of his campaign.

Sen. McCain:

It’s a big thing this war.

It’s a fight between right and wrong, good and evil.

And should our enemies acquire for their arsenal the chemical, biological and nuclear weapons they seek, this war will become an even bigger thing.

It will become a fight for our survival.

America is under attack by depraved enemies who oppose our every interest and hate every value we hold dear.

It is the great test of our generation and he has led with great moral clarity and firm resolve. He has not wavered, he has not flinched from the hard choices, he was determined and remains determined to make this world a better, safer, freer place. He deserves not only our support but our admiration. That’s why I am honored to introduce to you the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

President Bush:

I’m George W. Bush and I approve this message.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Fortunately running a state the size of texas (what is the gdp france or something??) is a huge improvement over a trial lawyer senator from a state where he couldn't win re-election.
Bush should take a back-seat to no one for his stewardship of texas, it's imminently more qualifying than either senator in almost every way.
The Texas Governor is far from the "steward" of the State, he's at best the 5th most powerful position behind the Lt. Governor, the Speaker of the House, the Atty General, and the Comptroller. Beyond the "bully pulpit" of the office, calling special sessions and board appointments (w/legislative review) is about all the powers they have
As far as if Edwards "couldn't win re-election" we will never know as he chose not to run.

Quote:
well.....dude beat me to it. Not to mention that Bush ran several multi-million dollars companies prior to his political career.
LMAO. ran into the ground is much more accurate.
Do a quick google on:
Arbusto Energy
its rescue by Spectrum 7 Energy Corporation
its takeover by Harken Energy
and the very questionable (according to the SEC) GWBush stock transactions in Harken Energy Corporation.
much less how GWBush was given the $ to buy into the Texas Rangers.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Your Bush hatred is pathetic. And blinding.

Of course...I expect nothing less from you.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #15
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Your Bush hatred is pathetic. And blinding.

Of course...I expect nothing less from you.
arbusto? harken? SEC investigation? fuh-get-about-it, they just didn't exist eh?
when shown facts, and being completely incapable of refuting them, he proceeds to just attack the messenger
more of the same.
yawn. so very boring.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Stop being a total dickhead Mavdog. You offer nothing here. You probably have the same 7 or 8 lame ass responses on a Word document that you cut and paste in every thread.

You offered nothing but a few topics. No evidence...no proof of anything. Stop masterbating long enough offer up something. I'm sick of prickheads like you infesting this board.

It was so much better a year ago when OP and the others were here. It's been awful since.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Stop being a total dickhead Mavdog.
yeah, anybody who shows your shallowness is a "total dickhead". LMAO.

Quote:
You offer nothing here. You probably have the same 7 or 8 lame ass responses on a Word document that you cut and paste in every thread.
uh huh, if they're "lame ass responses" why do they so easily show your lack of knowledge?

Quote:
You offered nothing but a few topics. No evidence...no proof of anything. Stop masterbating long enough offer up something. I'm sick of prickheads like you infesting this board.
oh such foul language.
look up Arbusto. or Harken. or the SEC investigation into GW's insider selling of Harken stock. you recall those Cos. that I mentioned as "evidence" and "proof". You? You offer nothing but belicose blatherings full of obscenities.
Then explain how well GWBush "ran multi-million corporations". Otherwise, don't speak about something that clearly you have no knowledge of...of course, that would mean no posts from bio.

Quote:
It was so much better a year ago when OP and the others were here. It's been awful since.
so why do you post? Just to show everybody how small you are? mission accomplished...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
[i]The Texas Governor is far from the "steward" of the State, he's at best the 5th most powerful position behind the Lt. Governor, the Speaker of the House, the Atty General, and the Comptroller. Beyond the "bully pulpit" of the office, calling special sessions and board appointments (w/legislative review) is about all the powers they have
As far as if Edwards "couldn't win re-election" we will never know as he chose not to run.
Tell me the number of people reporting to the governor of texas versus this trial-lawyer. As usual you change the subject or attempt to re-direct the discussion. We are talking governor of texas with an interntional border versus a class-action-suit lawyer. Ok, I'm waiting for your assessment of edwards qualifications up against bush..

You would say the same thing I imagine about any governor that you disagree with. NY, California. United States Government. Bush for example has no power to spend money without given authority by the congress, so I guess he's not powerful their either.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:18 PM   #19
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:
The Texas Governor is far from the "steward" of the State, he's at best the 5th most powerful position behind the Lt. Governor, the Speaker of the House, the Atty General, and the Comptroller. Beyond the "bully pulpit" of the office, calling special sessions and board appointments (w/legislative review) is about all the powers they have

Tell me the number of people reporting to the governor of texas versus this trial-lawyer. As usual you change the subject or attempt to re-direct the discussion. We are talking governor of texas with an interntional border versus a class-action-suit lawyer. Ok, I'm waiting for your assessment of edwards qualifications up against bush.[/quote]

"The number of people reporting to the Governor versus this trial lawyer" (BTW he is a Senator)? Is that the issue? You accuse ME of an attempt to "change the subject or...redirect the discussion"? Look in the mirror...

My point is that both GWBush and John Edwards had the same amount of tenure in office, I said "As far as the fact that Edwards has only had one term under his belt, that's not any less tenure in office than GWBush had as a governor."
You responded with "Fortunately running a state the size of texas (what is the gdp france or something??) is a huge improvement over a trial lawyer senator from a state where he couldn't win re-election. Bush should take a back-seat to no one for his stewardship of texas, it's imminently more qualifying than either senator in almost every way"

Now, I don't see anything in your response that addresses the FACT that both GWBush and John Edwards have about the same tenure in their respective offices, nor that the position of Texas Governor is not a very powerful post as governorships go. Is John Edwards more qualified than GWBush was? probably not, but then again GWBush wasn't more qualified to be Pres when he was elected either. A push IMHO. No advantage either side.

Quote:
You would say the same thing I imagine about any governor that you disagree with. NY, California. United States Government. Bush for example has no power to spend money without given authority by the congress, so I guess he's not powerful their either.
No, I wouldn't "say the same thing". It just so happens that the Texas governor isn't given much power. He doesn't run the State, the heads of the State departments don't report to him, he isn't in control of State spending. Why? well, Texans traditionally don't trust their politicians (recall that we keep them out of Austin every other year) so the power of the Gov is minimized.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, knock off the personal insults.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

F*ck off Mavdickhead. It's jsut more of your recycled shit with no substance. You use the same tired responses over and over and over...nothing less. No matter how many times you say it to the contrary, you offer nothing.

Ban me. I could give a shit.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

[/quote]Tell me the number of people reporting to the governor of texas versus this trial-lawyer. As usual you change the subject or attempt to re-direct the discussion. We are talking governor of texas with an interntional border versus a class-action-suit lawyer. Ok, I'm waiting for your assessment of edwards qualifications up against bush.[/quote]

"The number of people reporting to the Governor versus this trial lawyer" (BTW he is a Senator)? Is that the issue? You accuse ME of an attempt to "change the subject or...redirect the discussion"? Look in the mirror...[/quote]

Ok, either way. How many folks report to either this trial-lawyer or this senator. I'm not changing anything, do you not feel that the amount of people reporting to you has some bearing on the amount of responsibility you hold?

Quote:
My point is that both GWBush and John Edwards had the same amount of tenure in office, I said "As far as the fact that Edwards has only had one term under his belt, that's not any less tenure in office than GWBush had as a governor."
You are correct, but it's like running a lemonade stand versus a fortune 500 company.

Quote:
You responded with "Fortunately running a state the size of texas (what is the gdp france or something??) is a huge improvement over a trial lawyer senator from a state where he couldn't win re-election. Bush should take a back-seat to no one for his stewardship of texas, it's imminently more qualifying than either senator in almost every way"

Now, I don't see anything in your response that addresses the FACT that both GWBush and John Edwards have about the same tenure in their respective offices, nor that the position of Texas Governor is not a very powerful post as governorships go. Is John Edwards more qualified than GWBush was? probably not, but then again GWBush wasn't more qualified to be Pres when he was elected either. A push IMHO. No advantage either side.
Well I guess you are talking about years right? Ok MD, I'll admit it. Edwards is finishing up his 6th year as a senator whereas Bush served 6 years as governor of Texas, but what point are you trying to make? Years service as a janitor for example is the same as years service for a CEO? Edwards is serving his first term of office where he cannot win re-election in his own state. Whereas George Bush was serving his SECOND term as top excecutive in one of the top three states in the US. I think I see a lot of difference there, you don't, okay, I think you are being quite silly and just arguing to be arguing to be honest.

But I certainly will not equate a 6 year term in the senate to serving two terms as the governor of texas. Not to even mention, his lack of accomplishement as that said senator other than pushing the partiot act, blocking judges and voting FOR the Iraq war before voting Against the 87 billion. (Please don't respond to this, i'll be accussed of changing the subject although it goes to the orginal point about his experience).

Quote:
No, I wouldn't "say the same thing". It just so happens that the Texas governor isn't given much power. He doesn't run the State, the heads of the State departments don't report to him, he isn't in control of State spending. Why? well, Texans traditionally don't trust their politicians (recall that we keep them out of Austin every other year) so the power of the Gov is minimized.
To be honest we texans do not trust politicians to keep from mucking things up. I'm not sure I will agree with this statement unless you show me some examples, from what I've heard california has about the same amount of power invested in the governer as well. I could be wrong about that but the comparison stands. But it will take more than your opinion here for me to agree with it.

Since if you feel that Edwards has more experience than Bush did as governor, your judgement is suspect.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It is a sad, sad commentary on the Democratic party that they couldn't find someone with more political experience to fill their ticket. I suppose it goes to show how utterly worthless the Gepharts and Daschles and Kennedys are. Bush didn't have a ton of experience, true, but he did have pedigree and that has always meant something.

At present--hell, for the last few decades--the Democrats are a party full of people and ideas that just don't have what it takes to get it done on a national level. Excepting the Clintons, of course, one of whom the entire party seems scared as hell of.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #24
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Stop being a total dickhead Mavdog. You offer nothing here. You probably have the same 7 or 8 lame ass responses on a Word document that you cut and paste in every thread.

It was so much better a year ago when OP and the others were here. It's been awful since. "

DO you EVER stop DRBIO??? If opinions differ from yours, they are every name in the book...dickhead, masterbating morons, prickheads...come on...what would be the fun of it if everyone was a snotty brat republican like yourself?

Old 07-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

You guys get a room.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 PM   #26
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
"Stop being a total dickhead Mavdog. You offer nothing here. You probably have the same 7 or 8 lame ass responses on a Word document that you cut and paste in every thread.

It was so much better a year ago when OP and the others were here. It's been awful since. "

DO you EVER stop DRBIO??? If opinions differ from yours, they are every name in the book...dickhead, masterbating morons, prickheads...come on...what would be the fun of it if everyone was a snotty brat republican like yourself?
Reeds, it just pisses people off when people like you and Mavdog bash the president for dumb reasons that people have already proven wrong. And then have the nerve to pretend you're winning the battle like Mavdog's been doing for quite some time now. It's not just cause your viewpoints differ.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #27
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Ok, either way. How many folks report to either this trial-lawyer or this senator. I'm not changing anything, do you not feel that the amount of people reporting to you has some bearing on the amount of responsibility you hold?
If that were the definition I'd wager that Edwards wins by way of running his law firm....

I suppose that the number of underlings has some bearing, but not always the case.

Quote:
To be honest we texans do not trust politicians to keep from mucking things up. I'm not sure I will agree with this statement unless you show me some examples, from what I've heard california has about the same amount of power invested in the governer as well. I could be wrong about that but the comparison stands. But it will take more than your opinion here for me to agree with it.
ok, don't just take my opinion for it, here's a study by UT Poly Sci dept.:
UT Link

Quote:
Since if you feel that Edwards has more experience than Bush did as governor, your judgement is suspect.
well, if you would re-read the posts, you'll find I said about the same experience. multiple times.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

I think I'll take that bet....
Your point is ridiculous. Just go the governor site and honestly tell me that a trial-lawyer ( or kerry for that matter) comes close to having this much responsibility. Your comment about the "realtive" power of the governor seems to be correct, but the size and scope is not factored into that at all.

governor site

Quote:
The Governor of Texas is the chief executive of the state and is elected by the citizens every four years. The Governor must be at least 30 years old and a resident of Texas for the five years immediately before the election.

The Governor makes policy recommendations that lawmakers in both the House and Senate chambers may sponsor and introduce as bills. The Governor appoints the Secretary of State, as well as members of boards and commissions who oversee the heads of state agencies and departments.

The constitutional and statutory duties of the Governor include:

* Signing or vetoing bills passed by the Legislature.
* Serving as commander-in-chief of the state's military forces.
* Convening special sessions of the Legislature for specific purposes.
* Delivering a report on the condition of the state to the Legislature at the beginning of each regular session.
* Estimating of the amounts of money required to be raised by taxation.
* Accounting for all public moneys received and paid out by him and recommending a budget for the next two years.
* Granting reprieves and commutations of punishment and pardons upon the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles and revoking conditional pardons.
* Declaring special elections to fill vacancies in certain elected offices.
* Appointing qualified Texans to state offices that carry out the laws and direct the policies of state government. Some of these offices are filled by appointment only. Others are ordinarily elected by the people, but the Governor must occasionally appoint individuals to fill vacancies in those offices. The Governor also appoints Texans to a wide range of advisory bodies and task forces that assist him with specific issues.
Quote:
The Governor's Appointment Responsibility

The authority to make governmental appointments is one of the powers given to the Governor of Texas by the state's constitution.

During a four-year term, a Governor will make about 3,000 appointments.

Most appointments are one of the following:

1. State officials and members of state boards, commissions and councils that carry out the laws and direct the policies of state government activities;
2. Members of task forces that advise the Governor or executive agencies on specific issues and policies; and
3. State elected and judicial offices when vacancies occur by resignation or death of the office holder.

To apply with the Governor Perry Administration, please read about the Appointment Process prior to completing the Appointment Application. The majority of these appointments are volunteer positions, representative of our citizen government. Most appointees are entitled to standard travel expenses and/or per diem to attend meetings and conduct business of the board or commission.

The List of Appointments details all appointments made by the Governor and the number of appointments made to each entity. The Appointment Opportunity List reflects those boards or commissions with positions whose terms expire during 2004.
Quote:
Appointed Positions
This is a list of all entities to which the Governor makes appointments and the number of possible appointed positions for each entity.

More detailed information on each entity is available via the Texas Records and Information Locator (TRAIL). TRAIL provides links to most agencies' background information, web pages, and the text of statutes.
Entities Number of Appointments
A&M University System, Board of Regents, Texas 9
Accountancy, Texas State Board of Public 15
Acupuncture Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Adjutant General of Texas 1
Adjutant General of Texas for Air, Assistant 1
Adjutant General of Texas for Army, Assistant 1
Administrative Hearings, State Office of 1
Aerospace & Aviation Advisory Committee 7
Affordable Housing Corporation, Texas State 5
Aging & Disability Services Council 9
Agricultural Finance Authority, Board of Directors, Texas 7
Agricultural Resources Protection Authority 6
Agriculture & Wildlife Resources & Management Advisory Committee 6
Aircraft Pooling Board, State 1
Alcoholic Beverage Commission, Texas 3
Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders, Texas Council on 4
Angelina & Neches River Authority, Board of Directors 9
Animal Health Commission, Texas 13
Anniversary Remembrance Day Medal Committee, State of Texas 7
Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board, Texas 9
Architectural Examiners, Texas Board of 9
Arts, Texas Commission on the 17
Assistive & Rehabilitative Services Council 9
Athletic Trainers, Advisory Board of 5
Austin State University, Board of Regents, Stephen F. 9
Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Interagency Council on 7
Automobile Theft Prevention Authority 7
Barber Examiners, State Board of 7
Blind and Visually Impaired, Governing Board of the Texas School for the 9
Border Commerce Coordinator 1
Brazos River Authority, Board of Directors 21
Building & Procurement Commission, Texas 5
Canadian River Compact Commissioner 1
Cancer Council, Texas 5
Cemetery Committee, State 3
Charitable Campaign Advisory Committee, State Employee 8
Charitable Campaign Policy Committee, State Employee 4
Childhood Intervention, Advisory Committee to the Interagency Council on Early 24
Childhood Intervention, Interagency Council on Early 8
Chiropractic Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Climatologist, Texas State 1
Coastal Coordination Council 4
Coastal Water Authority Board of Directors 3
Colorado River Authority, Central 9
Colorado River Authority, Lower 15
Colorado River Authority, Upper 9
Communities in Schools Advisory Committee 3
Community Development Review Committee, State 12
Conservatorship Board, State (appointed as needed) 1
Correctional Managed Care Advisory Committee 3
Cosmetology Commission, Texas 7
Counselors, Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional 9
Credit Union Commission 9
Crime Stoppers Advisory Council 5
Crime Victims Institute Advisory Council 16
Criminal Justice, Texas Board of 9
Critical Infrastructure Protection Council 1
Deaf, Governing Board of the Texas State School for the 9
Demographer, State 1
Dental Examiners, Texas State Board of 15
Dental Hygiene Advisory Committee 6
Developmental Disabilities, Executive Committee of the Office for the Prevention of 3
Developmental Disabilities, Texas Council for 25
Diabetes Council, Texas 11
Dietitians, State Board of Examiners of 9
Disabilities, Governor’s Committee on People with 12
Drought Preparedness Council 1
Economic Development Corporation 5
Economic Development Stakeholders 3
Economic & Tourism Office, Executive Director 1
Education Commission of the States 6
Education Coordinating Board, Texas Higher 9
Education, State Commissioner 1
Education, Texas State Board of, Chair 1
Educator Certification, State Board of 11
Emergency Communications Advisory Commission of State 5
Emergency Medical First Responders' Star of Texas Advisory Committee 3
Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council 15
Emergency Services Personnel Retirement Fund, Texas State 9
Emissions Reduction Plan Advisory Board, Texas 5
Employees Retirement System, Texas Board of Trustees 1
Energy Board, Southern States (Members for Texas) 1
Energy Planning Council, Texas 23
Engineers, State Board of Registration for Professional 9
Environmental Education Program, Texas 10
Environmental Quality, Texas Commission for 3
Environmental Technology, Texas Council on 11
Ethics Commission, Texas 4
Evergreen Underground Water Conservation District Board of Trustees 1
Family Practice Residency Advisory Committee 3
Family & Protective Services Council 9
Finance Commission of Texas, The 9
Fire Ant Research & Management Account Advisory Committee 3
Fire Fighters' Star of Texas Advisory Committee 3
Fire Fighters’ Pension Commissioner 1
Fire Protection, Texas Commission on 13
Funeral Service Commission, Texas 7
Galveston County, Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Ports of 5
Genetic Services, Interagency Council for 2
Governor's Clean Coal Technology Council 13
Grants Database Advisory Committee 9
Group Benefits Advisory Committee 1
Growth Fund Board of Trustees, Texas 4
Guadalupe River Authority, Upper 9
Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, Board of Directors 9
Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation Board of Directors, Texas 9
Gulf Coast Waste Disposal Authority, Board Directors 3
Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council Nominates
Gulf of Mexico Program, Citizens Advisory Committee 5
Gulf of Mexico Regional Dredge Team, Texas on the Western 2
Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission 1
Health and Human Services, Commissioner of 1
Health and Human Services Transition Legislative Oversight Committee 7
Health Coordinating Council, Statewide 12
Health Disparities Task Force 3
Hearing Instruments, State Committee of Examiners in Fitting and Dispensing of 9
Historical Commission, Texas 17
Historical Records Advisory Board, Texas 3
Historical Representation Advisory Committee 4
Home and Community Support Services Advisory Council 13
Homeless, Texas Interagency Council for the 1
Housing and Community Affairs, Texas Department of 7
Human Rights Commission 7
Humanities, Texas 5
Inaugural Committee 2
Inaugural Endowment Fund Committee 1
Incentive and Productivity Commission, Texas 5
Independent Living Council, State 15
Indigent Defense, Task Force on 5
Industrialized Building Code Council, Texas 12
Information Resources Board of Directors, Department of 7
Inspector General, Health and Human Services 1
Insurance Counsel, Office of Public, Public Council 1
Insurance, Commissioner of 1
Interstate Adult Offender Supervision, Texas State Council on 3
Interstate Agreement on Detainers, State Administrator for the 1
Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission 1
Interstate Parole Compact Administrator 1
Jail Standards, Commission on 9
Jefferson & Orange County Pilots Board 5
Judicial Conduct, State Commission on 4
Judicial Council, Texas 6
Judicial Districts Board 1
Judicial Regions, Administrative Presiding Judge 9
Juneteenth & Historical Commission, Texas Emancipation 5
Juvenile Justice Advisory Board 15-33
Juvenile Probation Commission, Texas 9
Juveniles, Administrator of the Interstate Compact on 1
Land Surveying, Texas Board of Professional 9
Lavaca-Navidad River Authority, Board of Directors 9
Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education, Commission on 9
Lease, Board for - Texas Criminal Justice 1
Lease, Board for - Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission 1
Library and Archives Commission, Texas State 7
Licensed Court Interpreter Advisory Board 9
Licensing and Regulation, Texas Commission of 5
Lottery Commission, Texas 3
Lower Neches Valley Authority 9
Manufactured Housing Board 5
Marriage and Family Therapists, State Board of Examiners 9
Mathematics & Science Advisory Board, Texas Academy 1
Medical & Mental Impairments, TDJC Advisory Committee on Offenders with 9
Medical Examiners District 1 Review Committee, State Board of 5
Medical Examiners District 2 Review Committee, State Board of 5
Medical Examiners District 3 Review Committee, State Board of 5
Medical Examiners District 4 Review Committee, State Board of 5
Medical Examiners, Texas State Board of 19
Medical Physicists, Texas Board of Licensure for Professional Medical 9
Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Texas Board of 9
Midwestern State University, Board of Regents 9
Military Facilities Commission, Texas (National Guard Armory Board) 6
Military Preparedness Commission 9
Mining Compact Commissioner, Interstate 1
Motor Vehicle Board, Texas Department of Transportation 9
Municipal Retirement System, Board of Trustees, Texas 6
Mutual Insurance Company, Texas 1
Neches Municipal Water Authority, Upper 3
Nonresident Violator Compact Administrator 1
North Texas Tollway Authority 1
Nueces River Authority, Board of Directors 21
Nurse Examiners, State Board of 9
Nursing Facility Administrators Advisory Committee 9
Nursing Facility Quality Assurance Team 9
Nutrition & Health in Public Schools, Interim Study on 6
Occupational Therapy Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Office of Rural Community Affairs 3
Oilfield Cleanup Fund Advisory Committee 1
One Call Board 12
Online Authority, Texas 13
On-Site Wastewater Treatment Research Council 11
OneStar Foundation 15
OneStar National Service Commission 15-25
Optometry Board, Texas 9
Orthotics & Prosthetics, Texas Board of 7
Outer Continental Shelf Policy Advisory Committee 1
Pardons & Paroles, Texas Board of 17
Parks and Wildlife Commission, Texas 9
Peace Officers' Star of Texas Advisory Committee 3
Pecos River Compact Commissioner 1
Pension Review Board, State 7
Perfusionists, Texas State Board of Examiners of 9
Pest Control Board, Texas Structural 6
Pharmeceutical & Therapeutics Committee 11
Pharmacy, Texas State Board of 9
Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy Examiners, Executive Council of 1
Physical Therapy Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Physician Assistant Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Plumbing Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Podiatric Medical Examiners, Texas State Board of 9
Poet Laureate, State Musician, & State Artists Committee, Texas 1
Polygraph Examiners Board 7
Prepaid Higher Education Tuition Board 2
Preservation Board, State 1
Primary Care Residency Advisory Committee 1
Private Sector Prison Industries Oversight Authority 9
Private Security Board, Texas 7
Produce Recovery Fund Board 5
Product Development & Small Business Incubator Board 8
Geoscientists, Texas Board of Professional 9
Psychologists, Texas State Board of Examiners of 9
Public Finance Authority, Texas 7
Public Safety Commission 3
Public Utility Commission of Texas 3
Public Utility Counsel 1
Purchasing from People with Disabilities, Texas Council on 9
Racing Commission, Texas 7
Radiation Advisory Board 18
Real Estate Commission, Texas 9
Real Estate Research Advisory Committee 9
Red River Authority of Texas, Board of Directors 9
Red River Compact Commissioner of Texas 1
Regional Health Care Delivery Networks Advisory Committee 13
Regional Mobility Authority 1
Regional Review Committees (28) 12 per region
Rehabilitation Council of Texas 21
Residential Construction Commission, Texas 9
Retirement System Board of Trustees, Texas County & District 9
Rio Grande Compact Commissioner 1
Rio Grande Regional Water Authority 9
Risk Management, State Office of 6
Sabine River Authority of Texas 9
Sabine River Compact Commission, Texas 2
San Jacinto Historical Advisory Board 3
San Jacinto River Authority 6
School Land Board 1
School Safety Center Board, Texas 10
Secretary of State 1
Securities Board, State 5
Seed and Plant Board, State 6
Selective Service System, Director 1
Sex Offender Treatment, Interagency Council on 7
Skill Standards Board, Texas 11
Small Business Industrial Development Corporation
Small Business Stationary Source Assistance Program Compliance Advisory Panel 2
Social Workers, Texas Board of Examiners 9
Soil & Water Conservation Board 2
Southern Regional Education Board 4
Special Education, Continuing Advisory Committee for 17
Speech Language Pathology and Audiology, State Committee of Examiners for 9
State-Federal Relations, Office of Director 1
State Health Services Council 9
Sulphur River Basin Authority Board of Directors 6
Tax Professional Examiners, Board of 5
Teacher Retirement System of Texas Board of Trustees 9
Telecommunications Planning & Oversight Council 4
Texas Southern University Board of Regents 9
Texas State Technical College Board of Regents 9
Texas State University System Board of Regents 9
Texas Tech University Board of Regents 9
Texas Woman’s University, Board of Regents 9
Transportation Commission, Texas 2
Trinity River Authority Board of Directors 24
Uniform State Laws, Commission on 9
University of Houston Board of Regents 9
University of North Texas Board of Regents 9
University of Texas System Board of Regents 9
Veterans Commission, Texas 5
Veterans Land Board 2
Veterinary Medical Examiners, State Board of 9
Violent Gang Task Force, Texas 4
Water Advisory Board, Texas 3
Water Development Board, Texas 6
Water for Environmental Flows, Study Commission on 15
Western States Water Council 3
Women, Governor’s Commission for 15
Workforce Investment Council, Texas 5
Worker’s Compensation Commission, Texas 6
Workforce Commission, Texas 3
Youth Commission, Texas 7
Quote:
Appointments

If you are looking for an appointment announcement published on a particular date you may find that using the calendar on this page is helpful.

If the appointment that you seek is on a particular subject you may find the search field on this page helpful.

The latest appointments are also available via our RSS news feed. You will need a syndicated news reader to take advantage of this feature.
Jul. 07, 2004

* Governor Appoints Morrow to Texas Information Resources

Jul. 07, 2004

* Gov. Perry Announces Appointment of Bradford, White To Finance Commission of Texas

Jul. 07, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Angelo To Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists

Jul. 07, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Shannon to Texas Juvenile Probation Commission

Jun. 28, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Ellis, Schiermeyer to Texas Public Finance Authority

Jun. 28, 2004

* Gov. Perry Announces Appointment of Three Individuals To Midwestern State University Board of Regents

Jun. 28, 2004

* Gov. Perry Names Murfee to Study Committee of Processing of Permits At Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Jun. 28, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Gibson To Texas Southern University Board of Regents

Jun. 28, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Saenz as Border Commerce Coordinator

Jun. 23, 2004

* Gov. Perry Appoints Thomas and Grier to Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority Board of Directors
There are 30!! more pages of this.

Your point is ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #29
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Your point is ridiculous. Just go the governor site and honestly tell me that a trial-lawyer ( or kerry for that matter) comes close to having this much responsibility. Your comment about the "realtive" power of the governor seems to be correct, but the size and scope is not factored into that at all.
My point was that Bush and Kerry had the same amount of tenure in office. I think you agreed with me on that. Any other "point" is your own making.

I appreciate your admission that I correctly called the Governorship of TX a weak position relative to what we typically see the office as having. You sure used a ton of bandwidth after agreeing with my assertion...

You seem very hung up on first not referring to Edwards as a Senator but by what I must assume is a perjorative use of the label "trial lawyer", and second that the Senator is more cushy and less work than being the TX Governor.

So are we to call the candidates by their prior occupations? Would that be "former sports club owner George Bush"? Why do you have an issue with respecting the office by not referring to him as Senator John Edwards?

As for the hardest working (or conversely easiest) position, I'd have to say that being a Senator is a darn good life and by far an easier job. You do get to hand out about a hundred well paying jobs to your friends as Governor, and the citizens expect more out of the governor's office.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Oh Lord....being called out by reeds????

The king of nothing?

Pathetic.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:32 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

I know your point was that they served the same number of years MD, but as I asserted the point is irrelevant. They were also both men, but that is also irrelevant.

I looked at your link, it was kiinda interesting but also kind of simplistic IMHO so it illicited little response from me. If the governor of texas had a line item veto for example then he would be just as weak as........the president of the US. I would have to look at it in context to make more of it.

I'm not hung up on him being a senator or a trial-lawyer, that's just all he's ever been. Sure I'll put george bush's professional career up against either of the senators (i.e. war protesor/trial lawyer) anytime. Sure oil company prez, prez of texas rangers, two term governor of texas, president of the united states. MBA from Harvard. You pick'em...

I don't know why you don't think that being a governor is hard work. It's certainly one of the reasons (IMHO) that clinton was viable. Being a governor is the closest thing to being a president that we have in this country, period. Not VP, senator, ceo, anything prepares you for the presidency like a governorship.

I know, I know being a 6 year senator from north carolina(I think) in a state where you can no longer win election (in a position that is more secure than the politburo) is a much better moulder of experince for being president than a two term governor of the second or third largest state in the union. Silly me, it's so obvious.