Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
MFFL4113

MFFL4113 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Trouble in Texas

The Rangers are in big trouble. Hopefully Boston loses tonight, but regardless, like I have been saying all year long, here comes Anaheim. I am as big as the biggest die hard Rangers fan there is, but allow me to step out of my biast cave...They are in big trouble! Aside the fact that they are dealing with Boston, Oakland, and Anaheim, and maybe even the Yankees, for playoff spots, but they still play 19 games against those teams, zero against New York, but it is unlikely they lose the division lead. Yes, they have a great bullpen, and their bullpen has been a polar opposite from last year, but the fact of the matter is that they are overused. Their starters aren't going long enough, especially the ones they need to do so, and that they expect to do so, Drese and Rogers. Drese is coming off a good start but look at his past five...enough said. Same goes for Kenny...man has he fallen off. Ricardo was a huge loss, and it does look like Mickey Callaway is somewhat servicable, but even he only went 5 and 2/3 against KC. The only good thing about Erickson is his wife, Lisa Guerrero, and bussing guys back and forth from the minors and the majors wont work. The only real bright spot of late has been Joaquin, but he has showed that after 5 great innings, the flood gates will open, and he didn't do too well today. You cant use Almanzar and Franky every night. They just lack depth in the worst places at the worst times! They don't have a true cleanup, and are having trouble settling on a lineup. I would love to see them pull this out, but unfortunately, things aren't looking good!
Old 08-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Big Trouble in Texas

The goal for the Rangers to start the season had to be not finishing in last place. After all they did that for four consecutive years. THe second goal was to develop at least one pitcher and they have done that. Ryan Drese has been spectacular for the Rangers a 3.33 ERA and 11 wins he could have 15 or 16 wins except he hasn't had the run support. I thought they were out of it last week but they have wonn 8 of 9 and are still a half game behind Oakland. Oakland lost today, Anaheim won and Red Sox play tonight.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
MFFL4113

MFFL4113 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Big Trouble in Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
The goal for the Rangers to start the season had to be not finishing in last place. After all they did that for four consecutive years. THe second goal was to develop at least one pitcher and they have done that. Ryan Drese has been spectacular for the Rangers a 3.33 ERA and 11 wins he could have 15 or 16 wins except he hasn't had the run support. I thought they were out of it last week but they have wonn 8 of 9 and are still a half game behind Oakland. Oakland lost today, Anaheim won and Red Sox play tonight.
I see what you are saying but Drese has not been spectacular. He has been good...big difference. He has lacked the ability to go deep in games and has had high pitch counts of late, however he did have gr8 pitch counts to begin the year. True run support hasn't been there at times. but he has had 3 losses which have been purely his fault, meaning, he had the lead past the 4th inning, 2 times by more than one, and lost. He has been spectacular in terms of what they expected from him, but he has been a good pitcher, noting spectacular.

Yes, they accomplished goals such as improve, gain experience, and develop, but how do you tell that to these guys. I said at the beginning of the year that the Rangers win 90 games. I wouldn't have bet a ton of money on that, but I said it. Why? Because they are a young group of players, the core is, and some surrounding players, with some veterans for leadership, but the core, the tex's, the hanks, and alfonsos, and mikey y's, the francisco's (both), and Drese and Ricardo for some time, are young.Everyone knew they could all play, they all had something, maybe with the exception of Drese, that many teams wanted. Those names include many all stars and some hall of famers, but thats not it. They are young and don't know any better than to go out and play hard night in and night out. Some players like GM2 and Laird and Barajas could have been playing for the future, and Mench as well, which is always dangerous. If A-Rod, who I still love, taught this team anything, it was give your all every second of the game, and the season for that matter.

What do you think the team would say if some media guy said, 'You guys had a great year [b]considering what was expected out of you. Does it really matter if you make the playoffs, just because no one expected to at the beginning of the year? [B/]

If they would have fallen apart earlier things may be different, but they have stayed in this thing. All this about they weren't supposed to be here and it doesn't matter is junk. Buck is managing to win and the players have their eyes on the playoffs, and you don't think it matters to them, or even their fans?