Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk and Nash SI article

Taken from db.com...

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - DECEMBER 13, 2004 ISSUE -- HITS NEWSSTANDS STARTING WED., DECEMBER 8

DOING FINE WITHOUT YOU

Though saddened by their breakup, the former Mavs running mates, are, surprisingly, playing even better apart

By Ian Thomsen

They had met for hundreds of lunches in Dallas, but this one was different. The conversation had an edge that neither wished to acknowledge. It was as if they were meeting after a friendly divorce. ¶ “So I’ll see you at the game,” Steve Nash said, smiling, as he was about to leave. ¶ “Absolutely,” answered Dirk Nowitzki, with a grin just as big. “Get ready.” ¶ That evening at American Airlines Center, Nash dribbled toward his best friend. “I knew what was coming,” says Nowitzki. Though Nash now came wrapped in an odd, purple uniform, the point guard’s every move was familiar from the countless hours they’d played together: the rhythm of the ball bouncing between his legs, the tantalizing head and shoulder fakes, the gray eyes scanning the periphery for cutters.

Then, in a blink, Nash’s flurry ended. The 7-foot Nowitzki turned to watch the jump shot drop through the rim like a door slamming shut.

During their six years together on the Dallas Mavericks, Nash and Nowitzki grew to appreciate each other as much as any teammates in any sport. They spent thousands of hours in the gym developing their skills and their camaraderie, both of which helped transform the Mavs from charmless losers into NBA title contenders. “That’s why it’s so sad,” says Nowitzki. “I thought we were going to finish together like Stockton and Malone. I never thought we’d break up.”

Nash walked away last summer, signing a five-year, $53 million free-agent contract (which includes a partially guaranteed sixth year at $13.1 million) with the Phoenix Suns, the team that drafted him in 1996. The early returns on that investment *couldn’t be better. With Nash averaging an NBA-high 10.9 assists, many times dishing to 22-year-old power forward Amare Stoudemire (25.6 points per game), the streaking Suns were 14–3 at week’s end and led the league in scoring (107.8 points). The 30-year-old Nash has emerged as an early-season MVP candidate for elevating a team that went 29–53 last year—even though he’s not entirely comfortable in his new surroundings. “I told [the Suns] that I really wanted to stay [in Dallas] and finish what we started,” says Nash. “Starting from scratch, unfamiliar with everything, trying to get a whole new career going again—it’s been difficult.”

Nowitzki has flourished too, averaging a league-leading 27.4 points through Sunday to propel the Mavs to a 12–6 start despite injuries to forward Michael Finley, center Erick Dampier and guard Jason Terry (who was acquired from the Atlanta Hawks in a four-player trade to serve as Nash’s replacement, along with rookie Devin Harris). Last Thursday, in a 113–106 overtime defeat of the Houston Rockets, he erupted for a franchise record 53 points, the highest total in the NBA this season. While he’s saddened that he can no longer dream of winning a championship with Nash, the 26-year-old No*witz*ki burns with a desire to get the best of him. When Nash scored 17 points and handed out 18 assists in the Suns’ 107–101 victory in Dallas on Nov. 16, No*witz*ki walked off the floor without speaking to him. “I was so pissed, I went home right away—I *didn’t want to see anyone,” No*witz*ki says. “Then he calls me up from the airport. I saw the caller I.D., and I was, like, I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

What he fails to mention is that he had left a congratulatory message on Nash’s phone a few minutes earlier. Eventually No*witzki returned Nash’s call, and they had a pleasant conversation. “The good thing,” says Nowitzki, “is we’re going to remain friends the rest of our lives.”

They met at a press conference in June 1998, shortly after the Mavericks traded first-round draft choice Robert (Tractor) Traylor, the sixth pick, to the Milwaukee Bucks for Nowitzki (the No. 9 choice) and Pat Garrity (No. 1 . Dallas shipped Garrity, two other players and a first-round pick in ’99 (which would be used on Shawn Marion) to Phoenix for Nash, who was then a second-year backup to Jason Kidd. “He had bleach-blond hair at the time,” Nowitzki says. “But he *hadn’t bleached it in a while so the top inch or two were blond, and you could see underneath it was brown. It was awful.”

Nash was a 6'3" Canadian whose only U.S. college scholarship offer had come from Santa Clara, where he’d starred for four years. Nowitzki was a skinny 20-year-old from Würzburg, Germany, with a bowl haircut and a fondness for three-pointers. “Those were the days before he had his rabbit [buck] teeth knocked out and had them cosmetically replaced,” says Nash. “I felt for the guy. He was really shy.”

In the morning after the draft No*witz*ki woke up shocked to hear that he had been a lottery pick. He had warned NBA teams that he planned to remain in Europe for at least one more season to develop his game. Though the Mavs persuaded him to change his mind, Nowitzki was almost grateful when the owners locked players out to start the 1998–99 season, which enabled him to continue suiting up for the Würzburg X-Rays. “Then it was the end of January, and one morning I looked on the news, and it said, ‘Season Saved,’” says Nowitzki. “I said, ‘Ohhhh, no.’ I started sweating. I *wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go.”

After an abbreviated 15-day training camp, Nowitzki made his debut as the Mavs’ starting small forward. Too green to exploit his height advantage on offense and too slow to keep pace defensively, he was benched just a week after coach Don Nelson had touted him as Rookie of the Year. Nash provided his most important assists to Nowitzki off the court that year. “He was so down on himself,” says Nash. “He thinks he’s a realist, but I think he’s a pessimist in so many ways. I’m sure that’s part of the psychology that makes him great—that insecurity that drives you. But there were a lot of times when I would have to pump him up.”

Even now Nowitzki admits that he sees himself less as a three-time All-Star than as an immigrant still struggling to succeed. “After a bad game I’m telling myself the next day, You’ve got to come in, you’ve got to shoot, you’ve got to lift at night, do cardio, you’ve got to get your game on track,” he says. Imagine, then, the anxiety he felt as a rookie when he averaged only 8.2 points in 20.4 minutes—and imagine too how grateful he was to have a new friend and teammate who lived in the same apartment complex and was just as eager to work on his game. Back then the Mavs practiced in a gym that was open to the public at night. College students and paunchy businessmen would routinely occupy the one full court, leaving Nash and Nowitzki to practice in cramped quarters on a side basket. “We would play running H-O-R-S-E, a lot of shooting games, tons of one-on-one,” says Nowitzki. “Sometimes we would play in the post where I had a mismatch; then we would take it outside where he had it easier.”

The odd thing is that they rarely worked on what would become their signature play: the pick-and-roll. Its choreography evolved during games. “Steve was just so smart at using the picks,” says Nowitzki. “My guy would have to hug me, and Steve was able to get into the lane. I watch him now, and he’s doing the same things in Phoenix.”

Nash’s selflessness that first year in Dallas also kept him from dwelling on his own difficulties. He was suffering from a stress fracture in his back, a painful injury that diminished his quickness and often rendered him ineffective. Disappointed Mavs fans spent one game booing Nash whenever he touched the ball. That only motivated him. “It shows how ballsy Steve is,” says Nowitzki. “He gets the ball while they’re booing him, and he makes a three. I probably would have thrown it away.”

Over the next five years Nash and No*witz*ki would share rides to games and practices and dine together on the road. Their cars grew progressively nicer, as did their quarters. In 2000, Nash bought a town house; two years later Nowitzki bought a place eight minutes up the road. An injury to Gary Trent in 1999–2000 led to Nowitzki’s being shifted to power forward full time, where he discovered his ability to create mismatches by raining threes over brutes who preferred bodying up in the paint. Nash recovered from his injury and along with Nowitzki led Dallas to four consecutive playoff appearances. Though they came within two games of reaching the Finals in 2003, losing in six to the eventual champion San Antonio Spurs, the Mavericks were stricken with a terminal affliction of porous defense, which always left Nash and Nowitzki imagining how much further they could have gone with an intimidating, shot-blocking center. Then last summer one became available: Shaquille O’Neal.

Nash and Nowitzki were on vacation attending Wimbledon when they heard rumors that Nowitzki would be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers for Shaq. Nowitzki was jarred by the possibility of leaving Dallas. “To get the most dominant player in the world?” he says. “I probably would have done it if I were the Mavericks.” Hearing the news made No*witz*ki realize how much he treasured his relationships not just with Nash but also with Finley and Nelson, and how badly he wanted to keep things just as they were. Then team owner Mark Cuban sent word that there would be no trade. Nowitzki wished Nash good luck as his friend flew to Dallas to negotiate a new deal.

There had been reports all season that Nash would be recruited by the Suns, among others. But Cuban was known to spend big for talent, and Nash was a top point guard whose last contract (five years, $35 million) had been a relative bargain. Says Finley, “I thought the Mavericks would do whatever it took to keep him around.”

Cuban made an initial proposal of $36 million over four years. Though he was willing to go higher, he believed he would jeopardize the Mavs’ future by getting into a bidding war with Phoenix, which was willing to pay Nash $12.3 million in the final year of the contract, when he’d be 35. After Nash accepted the Suns’ offer, his first call was to Nowitzki.

“‘I don’t know what happened,” Nash said, “but I had to do it.”

“Absolutely,” Nowitzki replied, “if you felt they *didn’t want you here anymore, then you made the right decision.”

For the remainder of the summer No*witz*ki refused to answer or return calls from the Mavericks’ front office. “I was really mad,” he says. “I was saying, ‘What are we trying to do? Not make the playoffs anymore?’ We just gave up our point guard, who was one of the best in the league, and we just let him walk away like he was nobody.”

Nash is growing more comfortable in Phoenix. He has a home in Scottsdale, where he lives with his girlfriend, Alejandra, who gave birth to twin girls, Lourdes and Isabella, in October. His parents, who live in Victoria, B.C., also have a house a few blocks away. The Suns believe that Nash will help the 6'10", 245-pound Stoudemire become a dominant player by spreading the floor, drawing the defense and delivering him the ball where he can do the most with it. “We needed leadership and basketball IQ and a point guard who can shoot—and Steve is exactly that,” says Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni. “Now Amare makes Steve a better player too. Did Stockton make Malone, or did Malone make Stockton? I don’t know which came first, and it really *doesn’t *matter.”

It’s as if Nash is overseeing a younger version of his former team, with Stoudemire serving as a less versatile but more imposing version of Nowitzki, Marion (19.5 points per game at week’s end) in the role of Finley, and Joe Johnson (14.9) and Quentin Richardson (13. taking turns providing Nick Van Exel’s old firepower. The Suns are amazed that Nash can distribute the ball better at full speed than most point guards can while walking it up. Nash credits his friend in Dallas for that. “I owe a lot to Dirk and all that time we spent working together,” he says. “He was a better player than me, more talented, and I had to keep finding ways to keep up with him.”

While Phoenix runs its offense at warp speed, Nowitzki finds himself coming off screens and having to call for the ball. Dallas tries to push tempo and in spite of its injuries, is ranked seventh in the NBA in scoring through Sunday (99.3 points per game). But without Nash’s flair, vision and timing, the half-court offense is rather pedestrian—and much sloppier. After having the league’s fewest turnovers for three seasons running, the Mavs ranked 13th at week’s end. “There really is no rhythm,” Nowitzki says.

“You can load up and scheme them in ways that Steve *wouldn’t allow,” says Suns assistant Alvin Gentry. “He would run things you never saw before, like a screen-and-roll with Dirk handling the ball and Steve as the screener.”

With Nash gone, Dallas has asked No*witz*ki to embrace a leadership role. To a man the Mavs believe that he has raised his level of play, and last month he showed heart by missing only one game with a sprained left ankle that was expected to sideline him for a week. The combination of veterans Finley, Terry and swingman Jerry Stackhouse with promising youngsters Harris, forward Josh Howard and guard Marquis Daniels gives Dallas a core group that can contend for some time. Most of all, the long-awaited arrival of a true center—the 29-year-old Dampier—has freed Nowitzki from having to defend the middle and lifted his spirits.

“It’s time for Dirk to grow up, so to speak,” says Finley. “I’ve always told him that great players in this league have to have a little selfishness, and this year he has to have that. Sometimes you have to care less what teammates think and just be that dominant player.”

There are times when Nowitzki feels like a rookie again, uncertain where to turn, especially on the road. “I still go out to dinner once in a while,” he says. “I read, I listen to my I-Pod.” But might the departure of his best friend have a bright side? Could it turn Nowitzki into the sort of ruthless leader the Mavericks need to win the NBA title? “I’m trying to see it [that way],” he says. “But I don’t really want to look at it.”
Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dirk and Nash SI article

I'm kind of tired of all this talk. It's just elevating a fact of life into a mythology.

Both guys are thriving. Good.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dirk and Nash SI article

I thought it was a really good article. It certainly brought out some interesting points that we had to speculate about before now.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great article. Thanks for posting it, KG. I found this both interesting and alarming though:

Quote:
For the remainder of the summer No*witz*ki refused to answer or return calls from the Mavericks’ front office. “I was really mad,” he says. “I was saying, ‘What are we trying to do? Not make the playoffs anymore?’ We just gave up our point guard, who was one of the best in the league, and we just let him walk away like he was nobody.”
Shades of Dirk's supposed 11th hour phonecall to Cuban two Summers ago, telling Mark that if the Mavs proceeded to trade Nash to the Pacers (in a prospective Brad Miller deal), 'you might as well trade me'...
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

great article...a good read on two good guys.....
I also very much liked this:
Quote:
says Finley: “I’ve always told him that great players in this league have to have a little selfishness, and this year he has to have that. Sometimes you have to care less what teammates think and just be that dominant player.”
just keep telling him that Fin.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Cool article KG. Thanks for posting it........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I heard there's an SI article about Nash and Dirk... thanks for posting it here.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I'd like to see both Dirk and Steve win championships--that really would complete a legend.

But I'd like to see Dirk win it first.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
I'd like to see both Dirk and Steve win championships--that really would complete a legend.

But I'd like to see Dirk win it first.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'd rather Dirk win 2 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer

I'd rather Dirk win 2 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'd rather Dirk win as long as he's a Mav witch will hopefully be a lot more than 2. Nash can win one by voiding his contract and coming back to the Mavs at the vet minimum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Great article. Thanks for posting it, KG. I found this both interesting and alarming though:

Quote:
Shades of Dirk's supposed 11th hour phonecall to Cuban two Summers ago, telling Mark that if the Mavs proceeded to trade Nash to the Pacers (in a prospective Brad Miller deal), 'you might as well trade me'...
Great minds (me and dirk) think alike. Now the kid who was supposed to take stevie's place can't get on the court.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Great article. You really do have to feel for those guys, if they sincerely wanted to finish it out together like Stockton and Malone. And as we all well know, they did both mature as players incredibly well together.

And yes, that was pretty scary reading how pissed Dirk was for a while. It makes you realize how close Cuban could have been to making an absolutely horrendous business decision, in an effort to make a good one. I don't know...I think Cubes had a bad night on July 1. Let Nash go without even talking to Dirk first? If that morning he really thought he was going to sign Nash up, and by that night he had lost him and risked turning Nowitzki against him...well, I think he was lucky to come out of it smelling so clean.

But I think it's a testament to the organization that Dirk remained in good spirits through it all, and is now playing so well. Someone is keeping the Big German happy. I get the feeling that he doesn't have any strong to ties to the community here. It's the organization that he seems to care about.

I started to miss Nash a little while reading that article. We definitely could use some better point guard play these days...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #13
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

How about 12.5 million $ this year?

;-)
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Wurzberg x-rays, who's got a picture of that uniform?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #15
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Great article. Thanks for posting it, KG.

How ironical that Nash & Nowitzki, the great friends that they are, never were close to being league leaders together... now that they're apart, they lead the league in Assists and Points respectively. Hope they finish that way with Nowitzki beating his little friend in the WCF on his way to a championship.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #16
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

The article make me a little misty eyed for the good old days, but recognizant of the fact that Dirk, and the Mavs, are better off with the ball in Dirk's hands. I don't think they would have been better this year with Nash, and I think with the development of Dirk HAVING to be the "man", they will be better off in the future.

Likewise, the Suns are MUCH better off with Stevie.

They will remain friends, just like I will remain friends with people I no longer live with.

Life goes on, my friends.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think dirk would have been "the man" this year irregardless. All he needed last year was to get rid of walker/jamison and have a decent center. last year was a cluster. Steven and Dirk leading the league seperately just proves it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-09-2004, 02:33 AM   #18
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

This article seems bias in steve's favor imo. Little things they spin. If dallas had won that night, they would be making dirk out to be the god not nash. Nash's day is coming. I look forward to seattle kicking the suns teeth in. .

Old 12-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #19
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I guess I am the only one that doesn't miss Steve here. It was great but it was also time to move on for the sake of the team and our title hopes.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #20
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

If Dallas faced Phoenix in the playoffs...think of the drama!!!

Wow especially the face of the loser of the two at the end of it all.... bet there would be a big hug and tears [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #21
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
The article make me a little misty eyed for the good old days, but recognizant of the fact that Dirk, and the Mavs, are better off with the ball in Dirk's hands. I don't think they would have been better this year with Nash, and I think with the development of Dirk HAVING to be the "man", they will be better off in the future.

Likewise, the Suns are MUCH better off with Stevie.

They will remain friends, just like I will remain friends with people I no longer live with.

Life goes on, my friends.
Same here. I read every single word in the article. It's a great read. NBA.com didn't tell us what Dirk's reaction was (or at least I didn't find anything about Dirk's reaction). All I heard is that people think Nash is a traitor. I am glad Dirk was very pissed. Their friendship is a lot more closer than I thought. I used to suspect that their friendship is "fake". LOL Like the media made up this friendship thing.... lol

Anyway, it is quite pleasing to know that both Dirk and Steve are doing great. One leads in scoring and another leads in assist. I wish they could meet in the playoff and create the biggest playoff story this year.

ps: But I still wish Nash could stay with Mavs... sigh.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #22
jibikao

Another thing I want to say is that Friendship in professional sports has become very rare. Look at Kobe and Shaq situation. It's just simply sad. They could have stayed together and earn more championship together but they just don't want to get alone.

I wonder who is Dirk's best friend now? Finely?

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 01:42 AM   #23
dirk41nowitzki

dirk41nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Great article.
Just wanna throw in my 2cents.
I know we shouldn't be talking about this anymore, but I really miss Nash in a Mavs uniform. If Sprewell thought his deal offered by the Wolves was insulting, then how insulting is 9mil a year for Nash? For all he has done for Dallas, his previous contract was 7mil a year, far below his value. All the other point guards who I feel are in the same class as Nash at that time, Marbury, Baron Davis.. etc are all getting max or near max contracts. I understand the age concern, but you don't overpay everyone from Finley to Lafrentz to Dampier and then not paying Nash, your second best player and arguably most valuable player, enough. If Dampier can get 70mil for 6 years (or was it 7 years?), why can't Nash get that? They are about the same age. After reading that article, I feel Cuban is very lucky Dirk didn't demand a trade. Look at all the players who are demanding trades because they are pissed at the management? Kidd, Carter, McGrady (who got his wish), Peja, the list goes on and on.
Imagine if Nash was still with Dallas, I still think Dirk would be producing the numbers he is, and Nash could still rack up the assists now that Walker the ball hog is gone. The Mavs would have the league leader in points and assists. I don't know if that's been done before, but at least the Mavs would be the one with the best record and we'd not be talking about Phoenix as a contender and Amare Stoudemire wouldn't be as dominant as he is. And if the Mavs still have Nash, they probably wouldn't trade Jamison for Stackhouse and Harris. I know the payroll would sky rocket, but Cuban shouldn't have given Dampier such a big contract anyways.
C-Dampier/Booth/Bradley
PF-Nowitzki/Henderson
SF-Jamison/Howard
SG-Finley/Daniels
PG-Nash/Terry
I think that's the best lineup in the NBA.
I apologize if you think we should move on without Nash and forget about him, but I can still dream about him in Mavs blue can't I.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM   #24
philb7777

philb7777 is on a distinguished road

The thing that irritates me is that with Dirk's career peaking for the next 4 years or so, its a 'win now' situation. What do we do, wait 3 - 4 years ofr Devin Harris to come around? Clearly Terry and Armstrong are not the complete answers. Our offense was based upon transitions and quick strikes, not a half court game. It never will be - we can't force change.

Cuban thought Nash was the weakest link that needed more money than he was worth. I wonder what he thinks now. Burdening Dirk with needing to score of himself creating shots will burn him out physically over the long haul. The shameful fact is that Dirk, Fin and Nash never got a chance to at least do it with a true athletic center.

To me right now the mavs are no better if not worse than the last two years. They are certainly less entertaining and fun to watch as a fan, win or lose. That should be a lose - lose for both the fans and Cuban.
philb7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #25
jibikao

philb7777

You said it very well. Waiting for Harris is NOT a solution. Dirk is at his peak now and if we don't push it, it will be too late.

I am glad you guys think the same way I do. Is Nash really the weakest link or Nelson?? Think about that.... who brought in Jamison and Walker? Who kept changing the lineup and confuse his players? Walker was alright in the beginning but later he was as confused as Terry. Should he play center or POINT FORWARD??? Should he shoot 3 or pass out? He was clearly confused and frustrated. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Walker fits the team at all because he is a volume shooter. Jamison is much better but if we need him to get other guys, we should trade him away.

Overall, I think Cuban f@ucked this time. You watch... if Mavs lose in the first round of playoff, there will be a disaster. If Mavs doesn't even have a chance to get into the playoff, Nelson WILL BE fired.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #26
jibikao

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk41nowitzki
Great article.
I know we shouldn't be talking about this anymore, but I really miss Nash in a Mavs uniform. If Sprewell thought his deal offered by the Wolves was insulting, then how insulting is 9mil a year for Nash? For all he has done for Dallas, his previous contract was 7mil a year, far below his value. All the other point guards who I feel are in the same class as Nash at that time, Marbury, Baron Davis.. etc are all getting max or near max contracts. I understand the age concern, but you don't overpay everyone from Finley to Lafrentz to Dampier and then not paying Nash, your second best player and arguably most valuable player, enough. If Dampier can get 70mil for 6 years (or was it 7 years?), why can't Nash get that? They are about the same age. After reading that article, I feel Cuban is very lucky Dirk didn't demand a trade. Look at all the players who are demanding trades because they are pissed at the management? Kidd, Carter, McGrady (who got his wish), Peja, the list goes on and on.
Imagine if Nash was still with Dallas, I still think Dirk would be producing the numbers he is, and Nash could still rack up the assists now that Walker the ball hog is gone. The Mavs would have the league leader in points and assists. I don't know if that's been done before, but at least the Mavs would be the one with the best record and we'd not be talking about Phoenix as a contender and Amare Stoudemire wouldn't be as dominant as he is. And if the Mavs still have Nash, they probably wouldn't trade Jamison for Stackhouse and Harris. I know the payroll would sky rocket, but Cuban shouldn't have given Dampier such a big contract anyways.
C-Dampier/Booth/Bradley
PF-Nowitzki/Henderson
SF-Jamison/Howard
SG-Finley/Daniels
PG-Nash/Terry
I apologize if you think we should move on without Nash and forget about him, but I can still dream about him in Mavs blue can't I.

Nash was that under-paid??!! Well, Nash just got Player of the Month.... sure, he sucks...and he is the weakest link. Whatever...

If Nash is old, what about Spree? I mean T-Wolves was great but not THAT great yet.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

It's obvious that in this case Cubes and Donnie were the weak link, not nellie.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk41nowitzki
Great article.
C-Dampier/Booth/Bradley
PF-Nowitzki/Henderson
SF-Jamison/Howard
SG-Finley/Daniels
PG-Nash/Terry
Right on' brotha'. However with all that said, it's either move on or move out, no one gives a dang about what might have been.