Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life is on a distinguished road
Default Rockets in 7

I really think Yao/Mcgrady will step up and pull out this series. The <u>KEY</u> to both teams is the benches.

I know our weakness is PF, but our combo of Weatherspoon/Padgett/Bowen and whoever will stop Henderson and Nowitzki.

Here's my breakdown:

- Center

Rockets - Yao
Mavericks - Dampier

ADVANTAGE - <u>Rockets</u>

- PF

Rockets - Weatherspoon
Mavericks - Nowitzki

ADVANTAGE - <u>Mavericks</u>

- SF

Rockets - McGrady
Mavericks - J. Howard

ADVANTAGE - <u>Rockets</u>

- SG

Rockets - D. Wesley
Mavericks - M. Finley

ADVANTAGE - <u>EVEN</u>

- PG

Rockets - B. Sura
Mavericks - J. Terry

ADVANTAGE - <u>EVEN</u>

Bench

Rockets - Mutombo, M. James, R. Bowen, S. Padgett, J. Barry, T. Braggs, C. Ward - the last 2 I just added on, but the 1st 5 are enough.
Mavericks - M. Daniels, D. Harris, Van Horn, Stackhouse, Stickman Bradley, and D. Armstrong

ADVANTAGE - <u>Slight advantage to the Rockets - Rockets have more front-line power w/ Mutombo, Padgett, and Bowen</u>

Mav Fans, go ahead and flame. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rockets in 7

Quote:
I know our weakness is PF, but our combo of Weatherspoon/Padgett/Bowen and whoever will stop Henderson and Nowitzki.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Without commenting on your positional analysis, I think you ought to re-think one thing.

How many Game 7s have been won by the road team? I can't remember the historical stat, but it ain't many.

If the Rockets win it, they're going to have to do it in 6 or less.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Rockets in 7

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rockets34Life
Rockets - Mutombo, M. James, R. Bowen, S. Padgett, J. Barry, T. Braggs, C. Ward - the last 2 I just added on, but the 1st 5 are enough.
Mavericks - M. Daniels, D. Harris, Van Horn, Stackhouse, Stickman Bradley, and D. Armstrong

ADVANTAGE - <u>Slight advantage to the Rockets - Rockets have more front-line power w/ Mutombo, Padgett, and Bowen</u>
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Killer and Stack alone would put our bench ahead of the Rockets.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Classic post. And that's why I'm in favor of a jokes section on the forums.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Now, to comment on your positional analysis:

I think Terry's playing better ball than Sura and I think Dampier's better than you're giving him credit for, but otherwise I don't have a huge problem with your analysis of the starters. As for the bench, however, I respectfully disagree. You have a solid bench with James, Barry, and Mutombo, but the Mavs are stacked off the bench (no pun intended) with Stackhouse, KVH, Harris, and Bradley. Marquis Daniels would undoubtedly get substantial playing time for Houston (might even start). He can't crack the rotation here right now.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This guy just announced he created this thread to all of Clutchcity.net. He is just trying to get us riled up.

Link(scroll down to the bottom of the thread)
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I have news for you. This isn't Mavtalk.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This guy just announced he created this thread to all of Clutchcity.net. He is just trying to get us riled up.
Oh, no doubt. His motives could hardly have been more transparent by his decision to: 1) start a new thread in the first place, and 2) title it as he did.

I'm really glad the playoffs are finally here.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Rockets34Life

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
And I'm not trying to portray it as MavTalk.

And so what if I'm starting a thread on your forum and I told my fellow Rockets fans about it.

I just figured I would state our Rockets points in why we will win this series.

Quote:
How many Game 7s have been won by the road team? I can't remember the historical stat, but it ain't many.
kg_veteran, don't forget the Conf. Semis in 1995 against Phoenix. That's why we're called Clutch City.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
Rockets34Life

You can also see a comparison breakdown on our Clutchfans.net site:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1195
Old 04-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:

And so what if I'm starting a thread on your forum and I told my fellow Rockets fans about it.

Quote:
kg_veteran, don't forget the Conf. Semis in 1995 against Phoenix. That's why we're called Clutch City.
Hakeem is retired now. He is never coming back. Try your best to move on.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

For as good as their defense is supposed to be, the Rockets had better work on a plan to stop Dallas. Throwing out the final game of the year when Dallas was missing Dirk, Finley, and Dampier, the Mavs have shot over 47% on the season against Houston and averaged 109 ppg or so.

Also, the Rockets had better work on some ways to generate enough offense to beat Dallas. Even if Tracy McGrady goes nuts and has a great series, who else is going to score points for the Rockets? Yao Ming has struggled against the defense of Erick Dampier and Shawn Bradley this season, and it's sort of blind faith to expect that he will suddenly dominate that matchup. It's also blind faith to expect that the Mavs will just let the Houston guards stand around on the perimeter and bomb away. Dallas leads the league in 3-point FG% defense. They're going to run those guards off the line and force them to floor the ball and create, something that none of the Houston guards except for perhaps Mike James excel at.

It'll be a fun matchup to watch, but I think Dallas has the decided edge.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

*yawn*
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:17 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Rockets34Life - What does the 1995 team have to do with the 2005 team? If you had Hakeem, Clyde, Horry, OT, and the original Jet, I might be a little more worried.

But you don't.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:17 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Josh Howard is 6'10". TMac is universally known for currently having the quickest first step in basketball. IMO, nobody taller than TMac is going to be able to hold him. He will just drive by Howard at will. Where I am concerned with that possbile matchup is with rebounds, however. Howards is an exceptional rebounder on both ends of the floor and may be able to ignite their fastbreak or get second chance opportunities from that position.
and I found that exceptionally funny.

Quote:
Dallas doesn't have the team defensive concept and rotations to stop the superstud swingmen.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

how many guys off your bench have ever averaged 30 points a game? how many 6'10 swingmen who can shoot from anywhere on the floor do you have on your bench? how many matchup problems like Daniels do you have off the bench?

besides, has Ryan Bowen ever made a jumpshot? don't you have a quarterback as a point guard? Scott Padget??? who is Braggs?

nice try, man. nice try. Dallas has the best bench in the league, let alone this SERIES. and those scrubs stopping Dirk? Dirk torched your STARTER and the rest of your team for 53. remember that?

do you really believe Houston will win this series?

p.s. just a comparison of the top 5 bench players between teams...

Bowen - 1.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, .3 apg
Padgett - 4.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg, .8 apg
Weatherspoon - 3.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, .4 apg
James - 11.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.6 apg
Barry - 6.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.4 apg

Stackhouse - 15 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.3 apg
Van Horn - 11.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.2 apg
Daniels - 9.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.9 apg
Harris - 5.7 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2 apg
Bradley - 2.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, .84 bpg
Old 04-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Josh Howard is 6'10". TMac is universally known for currently having the quickest first step in basketball. IMO, nobody taller than TMac is going to be able to hold him. He will just drive by Howard at will. Where I am concerned with that possbile matchup is with rebounds, however. Howards is an exceptional rebounder on both ends of the floor and may be able to ignite their fastbreak or get second chance opportunities from that position.
and I found that exceptionally funny.

Quote:
Dallas doesn't have the team defensive concept and rotations to stop the superstud swingmen.
That's almost as much of a knee slapper as saying that Weatherspoon's going to stop Dirk.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Rockets34Life ...That's why we're called Clutch City.
I thought the moniker was a direct reference to your city's polluted skies - Houstonians are forced to "clutch" their mouths & noses to prevent permanent brain damage and lung failure.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:25 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I liked this matchup comparison posted by Jeff Balke at ClutchCity:

Quote:
Yao Ming vs. Eric Dampier
Advantage: Houston

Dampier is a tough defensive player and we'll also see Bradley defend Yao for stretches, but Yao plays well against Dallas and they will have to double team Yao to prevent him from dominating the paint.
Yao shoots 40% on the season against Dallas and 35% when Dampier plays. He posts decent numbers (15/9), but it's a pretty big stretch to say that Yao plays well against Dallas or that Dallas will have to double him to prevent him from dominating.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #21
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I beg of you, please come back after the Rockets lose in 5, don't be bashful. We won't rip you to hard.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
Rockets34Life

Quote:
Rockets34Life - What does the 1995 team have to do with the 2005 team? If you had Hakeem, Clyde, Horry, OT, and the original Jet, I might be a little more worried.

But you don't.
kg, I was answering your question about Game 7's. I will agree with you that the 1995 team doesn't compare to this 2005 team. I think the Rockets have a good chance of knocking off the Mavs.

If we lose, that's fine. I know we'll put a fight and won't go down easily.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

We'll all welcome you back after the Mavs stomp the Rockets.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i think what we've seen over the years in the playoffs is that for the most part, the team with the superior superstar usually ends up winning the series.

i don't think this will be any different.

mavs in 6.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
MFFL41

MFFL41 is on a distinguished road

If everyone wants to get into experience, well then lets get into experience.

First: The Star Players
Yao/Tmac--never out of the first round
Dirk. Western Conference Finals Twice (I think)

Advantage: Mavs

Rest of starters:

Houston

Sura/Weatherspoon/Wesley (Weatherspoon-first round only, Sura: {[~I don't know maybe someone can fill me in.~}], Wesley {[~same thing as sura but I believe hornets got to the second round~]}**

Dallas: Dampier/Terry none. Howard (first round only) Finley (Same as Dirk of course)

Advantage: Dallas (for now until someone ques me in on Sura/Wesley)

Bench:

Houston:
James: Championship with Pistons
Mutombo: NBA Finals (lost)
Barry: Unsure (help again)
Padgett/Bowen/Braggs: First round for Padgett, not sure about the others

Dallas:
Stackhouse: Second round (I believe)
KVH: NBA Finals x2
Bradley: WCF
Daniels: First round only
Armstrong (same as wesley would have)
Harris/Hendu: none

Advantage: Even. Maybe a slight edge to houston for m. james

Coaching:
JVG: NBA Finals a couple times with the Knicks.
Avery: none but has a championship with the spurs and basically was the on-the-floor coach.

Advantage: Rockets

I still say the mavs will iwn handidly in 5.

**PM please if you have the answer

Old 04-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #26
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

additional points: about your positional analysis, i don't have a problem with much of what you said, except in a couple of areas.

Quote:
I really think Yao/Mcgrady will step up and pull out this series. The <u>KEY</u> to both teams is the benches.

Here's my breakdown:

Bench

Mav Fans, go ahead and flame. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
weatherspoon/padgett/bowen would be lucky to even be able to make our playoff roster let alone play in crucial games in a playoff series. i'd venture to say that of your bench only james, barry, and mutumbo would even have a chance of beating anyone out in the current mavericks bench rotation. to use the term "power" with any front line consisting of scott "chachi" padgett and ryan "napeoleon dynamite" bowen is so laughable, i don't know whether or not i should take you seriously.. weatherspoon is a tub of lard, and hasn't hit an open jumper since the Clinton administration. effort guys coming off the bench are nice, but they only take you so far.

to make use of a nice analogy by shaq, the mavs bench is like a benz S class with 20" rims, black on black, chromed out. if we want multi-talented players, we can bring them off the bench. we want a change of pace guy, we can bring him off the bench. in fact three of our bench players could probably start for the rockets: stackhouse, daniels, and van horn.

the houston bench is the 1989 hyundai excel of the nba. cheap, old, and breaks down easily. i'd grant that mutumbo and bradley provide similar things off the bench for each team, and i also concede that mutumbo does his job better. i also grant that james is better than our 12th man darrell armstrong. the rest is a big, flaming, stinking, bacteria infested, disease ridden, pile of no good, regurgitated, recycled dog crap.

if you truely believe that the bench will be the key determining factor in this series, then the outcome is pretty damn clear. mavs in 6.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #27
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Always nice to hear from the fans of other teams in this forum, especially when they conduct themselves with some respect.

Having said that, I disagree that Houston's frontcourt bench has more "firepower" than Dallas'.

In fact, adding up their averages on 3 key stats, it actually shows otherwise:

-- Points per game: Houston's (Bowen/Padgett/Mutombo) = 9.5 v. Dallas' (Van Horn/Henderson/Bradley) = 17.4
-- Rebounds per game: Houston's = 9.2 v. Dallas' = 12.0
-- Blocks per game: Houston's = 1.47 v. Dallas' = 1.69

So, if your contention is that the bench is what will make the difference because of your frontcourt, then I'm sorry to say that the true edge goes to Dallas.

Can't wait for this match-up. Bring on the play-offs!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #28
MFFL41

MFFL41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
to make use of a nice analogy by shaq, the mavs bench is like a benz S class with 20" rims, black on black, chromed out. if we want multi-talented players, we can bring them off the bench. we want a change of pace guy, we can bring him off the bench. in fact three of our bench players could probably start for the rockets: stackhouse, daniels, and van horn.

the houston bench is the 1989 hyundai excel of the nba. cheap, old, and breaks down easily. i'd grant that mutumbo and bradley provide similar things off the bench for each team, and i also concede that mutumbo does his job better. i also grant that james is better than our 12th man darrell armstrong. the rest is a big, flaming, stinking, bacteria infested, disease ridden, pile of no good, regurgitated, recycled dog crap.
Funny stuff. What about TV monitors in the back seat so people behind you can watch? Does the MOB have it?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #29
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure if this post was a joke..

There is no way in hell that Dirk lets the mavs lose in the first round..He will personally see to it that the mavs advance. This isn't Garnett we're talking about.

McGrady knows what it feels like to be in the 2nd round, but he's never been there physically.

Brilliant!

mavs in 5..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #30
mr_boo

mr_boo is on a distinguished road

Another Rockets Fan here...I'll give the Mavs credit that they are indeed a very very deep team and they have significantly improved since last year. As I noted in one thread at my home, ClutchCity, the Mavs have the capability to run, score, play big or play small, and their defense has improved....but I really think it's going to be a dog fight, not like how some of you here think. The thing I like about our chance though, is JVG. I'm not gonna say I know everything about Avery Johnson or about the job he's done so far, but I would say that JVG has a distinct advantage over Avery, and to me that is the difference maker. For all I care, the playoffs are a totally different animal than the regular season and what I expect from JVG, something Avery might not be too adept to do, is make adjustments game after game. I admit, if you guys had Nellie as the head coach still, it would definitely compound things more for the Rockets. BTW, in your opionions, who was the preferred matchup for you guys, the Kings or my Rockets? Cause, at ClutchCity, a lot us think that the Queens dodged you guys on purpose by dropping the Utah game.
mr_boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #31
Rockets34Life

Quote:

[L=http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1195[/L]
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #32
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Thankyou for educating me.

We need a thread Hall of Fame here...
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #33
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

MrBoo, did you choose that name because it will be so easy to change it to MrBooHoo after the mavs stomp your rockets?
Ha ha, hoo.

I'm a bit worried about Avery in the playoffs, too. Of the "new to the playoffs" positions on the mavs (coach, pg, and center), coach definitely has to be more important. But Avery's probably the most experienced no-experience person on the planet. As someone mentioned before, he was the on-floor leader for the champion Spurs, and has pretty much been player-coach for years. Plus he's got some very good assistants. He'll pull out the win.

Also, the general consensus on this board has been that the kings would be a much softer opponent, but that beating the crap out of the Rockets would be a better warm-up for later rounds.

Finally, I seriously hope the Mavs are taking the Rockets more seriously than most of us fans are.

Mavs in 5, baby!!!! Woo Hoo!!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Quote:

[L=http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1195[/L]
Anyone who thinks that Houston has a better bench deserves

Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #35
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mr_boo
The thing I like about our chance though, is JVG. I'm not gonna say I know everything about Avery Johnson or about the job he's done so far, but I would say that JVG has a distinct advantage over Avery, and to me that is the difference maker. For all I care, the playoffs are a totally different animal than the regular season and what I expect from JVG, something Avery might not be too adept to do, is make adjustments game after game.
Other than the McGrady edge, I believe JVG's play-off coaching experience is the only other edge to the Rockets that I agree with.

This will be a trial by fire for the little general. If the Rockets beat Dallas, then I'm sure this would be a factor in the loss. Afterall, there is no substitute for play-off experience.

The only thing I would say to counter that, is that it is not as if Avery has never been there. He knows as a player what it will take to win it all, but the question is will he be able to translate that player experience to his coaching. From what I've seen from him so far, I believe he can, but we'll see. Bring on the play-offs!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #36
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Does anybody else smell that? That weird odor in the distance? That's the smell of fear and it's coming from Houston.

Houston has 2 weapons TMac and Yao. They have a 3rd weapon who has herpes and is done for the season so I wil not count him.

The Mavs have 9-10 legit weapons.

Ahem (clearing my throat) brethren, please get out your brooms...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #37
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

The Houston Rockets are the best team in the league by far. I don't think anyone can beat them.

Yao&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Shaq
TMac&gt;&gt;Jordan in prime
Padgett=Rodman
Sura is the white version of Magic

and their bench is as good as Shaq, Jordan, Rodman, and Magic.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
*yawn*
Exactly...and I feel that I have wasted a perfectly good yawn.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #39
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road

All Rockets fans should take careful note of Dirk Nowitzki's historical performance in the plaoffs, and reconsder their position. I just don't believe the Rockets have what it takes to take it all the way to a seven-game series, and win.
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #40
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: mr_boo
Another Rockets Fan here...I'll give the Mavs credit that they are indeed a very very deep team and they have significantly improved since last year. As I noted in one thread at my home, ClutchCity, the Mavs have the capability to run, score, play big or play small, and their defense has improved....but I really think it's going to be a dog fight, not like how some of you here think. The thing I like about our chance though, is JVG. I'm not gonna say I know everything about Avery Johnson or about the job he's done so far, but I would say that JVG has a distinct advantage over Avery, and to me that is the difference maker. For all I care, the playoffs are a totally different animal than the regular season and what I expect from JVG, something Avery might not be too adept to do, is make adjustments game after game. I admit, if you guys had Nellie as the head coach still, it would definitely compound things more for the Rockets. BTW, in your opionions, who was the preferred matchup for you guys, the Kings or my Rockets? Cause, at ClutchCity, a lot us think that the Queens dodged you guys on purpose by dropping the Utah game.
Avery has a direct line to Nellie if he needed any advice about game planing or matchups. For in game adjustments, he'll have Del Harris who's been the Mavs for quite a bit. So JVG might not have that large of an advantage as presumed.