Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Sonics/Mavs Thoughts

I'm very impressed by tonight's win. I honestly thought, coming into this game, that Dallas was ripe for a letdown. I really hated that too, considering this game was on TNT. By the way, TNT's coverage has only gotten worse. How sad that we will have to put up with that kind of production when the playoffs roll around. You have to love how Barkley hedges his bet. To start the night he says that this should be a close game because the Mavs can't defend or rebound (a lot of research there). I mean, it couldn't possibly be because they are on the road still and playing a back to back. So if Dallas loses, he says, "I told you so." If they win, he says, "I told you so." The only chance they had was a blowout, and why do I have the feeling that if Dallas had won by 30, he would have said, "Dallas should win by that much. Seattle is a terrible team. But the Mavs can't win because, number one..." Ok, I've gotten way too specific...

Anyway, back to the point, I thought this team showed a great deal of resolve and mental toughness to come back and win that game after being down so big so early.

I would like to take a moment here to once again give kudos to Avery Johnson. First of all, I'm glad that he's going to be coaching the Western All-Stars, but I love what he's doing with this team. He really demanded the guys play hard and not give in tonight, and he's done that several times this season. I make that point because as the game was getting off to that awful start for the Mavs, I was remembering all of the games that Nellie just got kicked out of early. Instead, the team was able to grind it out.

Along those same lines, I think the players deserve just as much credit. You can see that this team is maturing. They understand what is at stake, and they refuse to give in to the letdown. I've said it before, but as I watch this team at times I really feel like I'm watching something special.

The Seattle players, coaches, and crowd seemed awfully annoyed tonight. I didn't really see it. The calls they were complaining about were pretty obvious.

Diop had 3 blocks and 5 boards in 17 minutes. He's gotten himself into a little foul trouble lately, but I'm not too upset by it. For one thing, I think he's doing a pretty good job of committing good fouls that keep opponents from getting an easy dunk or layup. As long as he plays hard (and he always seems to), he makes a positive impact on the team.

I chuckled tonight when Kerr and company brought up Dampier's comments about being the second best center in the league. They laughed about how Dampier was only the second best center on his own team. Obviously, they haven't been watching much. I'm as proud of Diop as anyone, but I think most of us realize that Dampier is still the best center on this team. I have been very proud of how Damp has responded to his new role. He hasn't complained, and he's really been producing. I thought he was a huge key to the game tonight. When he came into the game, along with some other guys from the bench, the game turned in the Mavs favor. Dampier absolutely controlled the paint though. 7 points, 9 boards, 4 blocks, and a couple of pretty nifty passes. As far as I'm concerned, he had a great game...again.

Someone commented that Dirk was struggling tonight. I guess I didn't see much of that. Granted, he didn't shoot as well as he always does, but then again, no one was shooting that well for the Mavs. You aren't even supposed to shoot as well at the end of a long road trip and second night of a back to back. All I know is that Dirk hit a lot of big shots and seemed to grab every big rebound. He was also doubled every time he tried to catch the ball in the post. Somehow he got 29 and 12. That's not struggling. That's an MVP, with all due respect to our former point guard.

Van Horn is coming along and getting back into the swing of things. 9 points, good shooting, and 3 boards in limited minutes.

Josh Howard, I thought, was struggling again on the road. Then I noticed him limping and moving gingerly. Suddenly, all was forgiven. Instead, I was very impressed with his toughness. He really worked hard in his time on the floor, and he played good defense on Rashard Lewis at times. Lewis was very impressive, by the way. He had a great night and was very efficient. There were times that Josh and company really did a good job of denying him scoring chances. In the end, I thought Josh's game was kind of indicative of how the entire team played. They just did what was necessary to get the win.

Jerry Stackhouse proves again why he is such a huge part of this team. Stack was the main reason this team went on that big 18 point run in the second quarter. He just attacked and really showed this team that no one was going to lay down and take the loss. That's leadership. He also hit a couple of clutch 3s and generally made some huge shots - including a circus "and one" chance. But what impressed me most was the job he did at different times on Ray Allen. He really battled Ray. Now, Allen missed some shots that he usually makes, and if he would have shot a few less 3s the game might have been different. But I admire Stack's competitiveness. How about that big block on Wilkins?

I really missed Devin Harris tonight. I thought the whole team did in the first half. Thankfully, Darrell Armstrong just knocked off the cobwebs and rust and did his thing. He, along with Stack and Damp, really turned the tide in this game. When DA came into the game, Terry had been letting Murray abuse him. The Sonics were getting whatever they wanted. DA started pressuring the ball. Avery changed up the defense and started trapping, and the team really went on a run. I thought Armstrong's energy and defense really helped Dallas though. That guy absolutely brings a football mentality to the team too. He showed a ton of heart in saving that ball going out of bounds. Unfortunately, he took a nasty spill and seemed pretty shaken up. Hopefully he'll be fine. By now, I think we all know how tough he is.

Jason Terry actually had a pretty nice game tonight. If I sound surprised it's because I kind of am. We know he likes the big lights, and he likes playing at home. But Terry really struggled to begin the game - again. That's becoming a nasty little habit. But, as is also becoming habit, he bounced back to play much better later. In the second half, Terry hit some big shots to help the team get the win.

What a great job t go 5-0 on this road trip. That's never an easy thing to do, and this team just did it. They did it without being at full strength, and they also did it with defense, believe it or not. Maybe everyone can get back healthy soon, and we can start to see what we have when everyone is available. In the meantime, keep the wins coming.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I think Barkley actually has a profound understanding of the game. You'd just never know it to listen to him because he doesn't actually watch the games. I mean, defense is one thing (even though they certainly CAN defend) but they can't rebound? Give me a break.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm watching this game I'm thinking "the Sonics sure are easy to play without Evans, Fortson, James and Collison". Those guys never got enough credit for what went on last year in Seattle. Allen, Lewis and Radmonovic could fire away at will because those four players were chasing everything down.

Petro and Swift may me decent some day but right now they're terrible.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 AM   #4
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I really dislike Mikki Moore. There's a perfect word to define him, but i know i'd get banned for saying it. And was it me, or did he travel everytime he tried to score?

Anyway, i want to thank god for Stackhouse. I was one of those people that doubted his role on this team when coming back from his injury, but he's been all that and a bag of chips.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I really dislike Mikki Moore. There's a perfect word to define him, but i know i'd get banned for saying it. And was it me, or did he travel everytime he tried to score?

Anyway, i want to thank god for Stackhouse. I was one of those people that doubted his role on this team when coming back from his injury, but he's been all that and a bag of chips.
No kidding. If only we can get out of this cycle of losing a key player everytime we get on a roll...
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Everytime I saw Mikki Moore, I literally cracked up... b/c in the 1st quarter he was all laughing it up and being cocky and when we got the lead back, he was all serious and pissed off and yelling and the entire game after that nothing was going his way

I dunno.. just cracked me up
WraithXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
Everytime I saw Mikki Moore, I literally cracked up... b/c in the 1st quarter he was all laughing it up and being cocky and when we got the lead back, he was all serious and pissed off and yelling and the entire game after that nothing was going his way

I dunno.. just cracked me up

Which goes perfectly to the word i want to call him. But it takes a lot of arrogance to lose a 17 point lead in 4 minutes, b/c arrogance normally comes back and bites you in the but. Example, our 1st game.

This game in general cracked me up. From one team being inconsistent to the other. From stretches of the whistle benefiting one team to the other. From the commentating to the analysis. This game couldn't have come at a better time for me.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Moore's quote about Dirk after the game:

Quote:
"They need to put a Pamper on that kid," Moore said. "Because they be babying him. It's hard to guard somebody when you can't even breathe on them."

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Amazing comments from a 8 year vet of the End of the Bench.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

...and one from Bob Hill

Quote:
"I didn’t realize (Dirk) Nowitzki had that much respect from the officials."

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-27-2006 at 10:37 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Moore's quote about Dirk after the game:
that just goes to show that Moore has not actually played in the NBA enought to know that you can't hack stars and have it go unnoticed...that and he's an idiot.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Mikki who the hell? Actually, this was pretty funny, until tonite, I honestly thought his name was pronouced "mickey"
Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

it should be

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

what the hell bob hill

Contact Me
Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Rashard Lewis got all the calls. That's really what kept them in the game.

~The Salesman
Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I figured the Sonics would be upset about the officiating. They let it bother them all night, and it's one of the reasons they lost their cool. They showed their immaturity. The funny thing is, some of the crap they were whining about was blatant.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #17
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

If someone has some time, I would love to see Rashard's averages ever since he turned down our MLE and resigned with Seattle. He murders us, I swear he must get about 30 every time. For some reason, he must feel that we are at fault for getting him more cash.

Those comments are rediculous. Hey Hill, their's a reason why no one gave you a chance since your last coaching job, you putz.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I always hold my breath when watching the Soncis in a close game.....because I always have the feeling that they're going to drop like 3 threes on us at anytime....

Ray Allen is one of the few star players in this league that I actually like watching....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ray Allen is one of the few star players in this league that I actually like watching....
Allen does have one of the prettiest shots in the league. BUT....

I've seen him play three times recently--the two Mavs games, plus a game against the Knicks a couple of weeks ago, and in each game his productivity has fallen off markedly in the crunch time of close games.

Starting to think of him as more of a performer than a producer.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Allen does have one of the prettiest shots in the league. BUT....

I've seen him play three times recently--the two Mavs games, plus a game against the Knicks a couple of weeks ago, and in each game his productivity has fallen off markedly in the crunch time of close games.

Starting to think of him as more of a performer than a producer.
then again...he did just win that 2 OT game on a last second three a couple nights ago...

but I know what you mean...he's not the type of guard I build a Championship team around...

Last edited by sike; 01-27-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #21
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
then again...he did just win that 2 OT game on a last second three a couple nights ago...

but I know what you mean...he's not the type of guard I build a Championship team around...
i hope he plays for USA though - we need shooters in the worst way for our national team

edit - he may not get along well with kobe though will he?

Last edited by Scoobay; 01-27-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #22
alby
Guru

ray allen is the definition of forced threes

Contact Me
Old 01-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
ray allen is the definition of forced threes
this post made me smile.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Really stupid refereeing comments from a bunch of losers.

Bob Hill especially should look behind him because of his stupidity. A 20-3 run by dallas and the moron is waiting for a TV timeout, idiot.

It's one thing for a stupid player to whine about the refs (just being stupid) it's quite another for a coach to let his team know that it wasn't THEIR fault they got beat, it was the refs.

Loser and will be fired by end of year probably.

Even the newspapers got into the act of excuse making. I think I need to go put some money on Pittsburgh to kick Seattle's losing rear-end. With an atomosphere of o' woe is me around, they'll jump on the first bad call as an excuse to not play.

From the PI
Quote:
Nowitzki was the key to the Mavericks' second-half surge, scoring 19 of his 29 points. He also made 10 of 11 free throws as Dallas began pounding the ball to the 6-foot-11 forward and he received some gracious calls.
Yea they pounded it to him and he kicked the sonics butts. Grow up and deal with it.

Then you look at the box and the FTA's are 30-29 dallas. Wow...Maybe they should film "Let's make an excuse" up there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-27-2006 at 07:17 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Really nice post from adyer on the dallasbasketball.com board.

Quote:
What I saw in last night's game When the opponent comes out of the chute hitting all shots you know they are running on early momentum and it can be stopped. The questions is knowing how to stop it.

The Mavericks of old did not know how. They preferred to fight fire with fire...hope the opponent cools off before you heat up. Last night showed how different this team is.

When you have Dirk Nowitzki regularly running his ass off on a full-court trap you have a different team. When you have Dirk hitting the deck after being fouled on a drive, getting up to argue with the ref, then running downcourt to block the shot before continuing to plead with the ref...you have a different team.

I saw consistent challenges at the rim and good hard fouls to make the Sonics do the job from the FT line. They hit their FTs but lost their momentum. I saw two serviceable centers spelling each other and winning the battle of the boards against one of the best rebounding teams in the league. Most of all, I saw no letup in defensive intensity. The Mavs seemed to understand what they had to do, rather than just huffing and puffing and hoping. That's significant.

I also think that, just because no one saw this coming in the off-season, it doesn't mean this team is overachieving. (Almost no one saw Detroit coming in 2004.) Especially when Derek Harper is one breath away from saying Dampier is STILL a bust for this year. Devin is still finding it's not easy being green. Terry is still not being a solid playmaker. Josh is drifting in and out of games, lately. Quis is still...er...where is he exactly?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #26
alby
Guru

detroit 2004 is pretty similar
larry brown comes in, preaches defense

granted aj had an early start
but he comes in, and preaches defense

maybe, just maybe...

Contact Me