Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavericks report card

Mavericks report card

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Staff Writer Eddie Sefko offers his grades through the All-Star break. As always, grades are based on production vs. expectations.

Starting frontcourt (Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, DeSagana Diop)

Grade:
B+

Comment: Howard is exceeding expectations at small forward. Nowitzki is in the MVP discussion. Need you ask why this group did not come away with an A? Yes, it's the center. But moving Diop into the lineup at least gave the position a "rebound and block shots" mentality. That's all the Mavericks need. Diop just has to do it more consistently.

Looking ahead: This group needs to keep doing what it is doing. Diop has lagged somewhat in the last couple of weeks. But they are 15-1 with him as a starter. If Howard cuts down on his off nights, this front line is primed for a big playoff run.

Your grade?

Starting backcourt (Jason Terry, Adrian Griffin)

Grade:
A-

Comment: Before the season, Avery Johnson said he wanted Terry to score in the high teens. Mission accomplished, as long as you consider over 16 points as the high teens. Griffin wasn't even on the radar before the season. But he's been like glue since arriving, giving them all the dirty work they need and a locker-room presence.

Looking ahead: Can you win big with two offensive afterthoughts in the starting lineup (Griffin and Diop)? San Antonio does it with their center and small-forward positions. Griffin is the key. For some reason, having one scorer and one defender in the backcourt seems logical.

Your grade?

Frontcourt reserves (Erick Dampier, Keith Van Horn, Marquis Daniels, D.J. Mbenga)

Grade:
B

Comment: Some nagging injuries have hurt Van Horn and Daniels, but when they've been healthy, they've done the job. Nothing has been better for Dampier than the move to the bench. As a reserve, he has averaged 9.6 rebounds in 16 games. Daniels had a strong start, and Van Horn has come alive lately offensively. Both need to concentrate defensively.

Looking ahead: Staying healthy is critical. If Daniels can get back to his early-season form (13-point average before a neck injury), he'll regain playing time. Dampier must embrace being the finisher in the playoffs, not the starter.

Your grade?

Backcourt reserves (Jerry Stackhouse, Devin Harris, Darrell Armstrong)

Grade:
A

Comment: Though he missed the first 26 games, Stackhouse has posted Sixth-Man-of-the-Year numbers. The beauty of it is he can get 20 points one night and seven assists the next. Harris still makes energetic mistakes, but he's so aggressive and skilled that his errors can be tolerated. Armstrong is good for the occasional change of pace.

Looking ahead: Harris needs another growth spurt in the final months of the season. He's too talented not to be picking up a few more assists than 3.2 per game. Stackhouse needs to relish his role and make opposing backups pay when he gets the opportunity.

Your grade?

Coaching/management (Avery Johnson, Donnie Nelson, Mark Cuban)

Grade:
A+

Comment: Everybody said Johnson was a natural coach, but 57-13 through 70 games is ridiculous. Anybody who thought the 16-2 finish last season after he took over was a fluke has been summarily hushed. Nelson and Cuban deserve credit for the flurry of deals and signings that built this team, then realizing how good it could be and leaving it be.

Looking ahead: By no means should they be tempted by any smoke-and-mirror trade offers. If it isn't Kevin Garnett-for-Josh Powell obvious, don't do it. This group has proven it deserves the chance to dethrone the Spurs.

Your grade?

Time to nitpick: On defense

If you want to target some potential problem areas for the Mavericks come playoff time, look no further. We'll be the bad guys.

1. Guarding penetration: Everybody has trouble with it. The Mavericks were terrible at it early and have made it the No. 1 issue in their defensive philosophy. Improvement is starting to show.

2. Guarding the pick and roll: Maybe it doesn't seem that important now, but if they see Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire in the playoffs, this will become a huge point of emphasis.

3. Avoid the big number: In golf, one bad hole can ruin you. Same applies here. They can't allow 62 points by Kobe Bryant. Good sign: They recently held Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen well below their averages.

4. Rebound and run: A good offensive possession starts with a defensive rebound. When they have struggled, they usually give up lots of offensive rebounds. That must stop.

5. Swallowing egos: Rebounders rebound. Scorers score. Everybody helps in their own way. If the ball keeps moving and nobody cares who shoots it, this will work. By the playoffs, it'll be an eight-man rotation – a different eight each game.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with all, and I really agree with the last statement. We are so deep that we have to use all the guys on the bench. If we go to the customary 7 man rotation in the playoffs, we have already lost. The depth is our big advantage.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Bench A when you score twice as much as you opponent off the bench your good.

Centers
Dampier,Diop and DJ
In the role players world at center are very good. Collectively are capable of putting up double-doubles nightly. Along with 2 or more blocks.

Forwards
Dirk is having his best shooting year in his career. His true field goal percentage is 58.3 percent. His minutes are down and his rebounds are down. However the team is so much better around him. A

Forward
Josh Howard
He is terrific at home, but okay on the road. He is the mavericks Tayshaun Prince. Howard's handle is so much better. A-

Guard
Griffin
He is suprisingly strong. He is an excellent defender. The best in season acquisition in the league. B

Jason Terry
His assists are way down, but his scoring his up. He is Nick Van Exel 2.0
He is so clutch. He is capable of putting up big numbers. Against Houston and Phoenix last year he was awesome. B+

Last edited by jayC; 02-21-2006 at 03:08 PM.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I'm a little disappointed by the media reaction to Damp's recent production. The guy has been an absolute beast on the boards and the other things he brings to the game (picks, blocking out, shot blocking) go unrecognized by the media who seem to expect him to regain his 12 ppg/12 rpg form. Granted, our/my view might be a little skewed based on the enormous Relative improvement seen since the first half of the season but alot of these guys are taking it a bit far. For example, Dee Brown on ESPN recently put Damp in the same category as Michael Olowokandi as a complete and utter bust...redirkulous. Damp is going to be a critical part of our championship run and people should recognize that while Diop is starting, Damp is still our primary center.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-21-2006 at 12:38 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
For example, Dee Brown on ESPN recently put Damp in the same category as Michael Olowokandi as a complete and utter bust...redirkulous..
you really can't take what Dee Brown has to say seriously. Remeber, he won that stupid anchor job off their crappy TV Show. If any one was a bust in the NBA, it was him. The only thing I remeber about his career was the no look dunk. yep, thats about it.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
you really can't take what Dee Brown has to say seriously. Remeber, he won that stupid anchor job off their crappy TV Show. If any one was a bust in the NBA, it was him. The only thing I remeber about his career was the no look dunk. yep, thats about it.

Haha...I completely forgot about that ESPN reality show. I was wondering how that guy got his job, he is just awful. I can barely decipher what he's saying most of the time and his logic is...well...simply awful.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw

That's pretty funny.

But the analysis Krid posted seemed dead on.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

How do the guards get a higher grade then the forwards??? I dont really mind but just curious.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

This is the topic of my latest blog entry: http://www.wescx.com/sports/2006/02/...-at-the-break/
Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
Jason Terry
His assists are way down, but his scoring his up. He is Nick Van Exel 2.0
He is so clutch. He is capable of putting up big numbers. Against Houston and Phoenix last year he was awesome. B+
I think its avery's descison, wether he wants him to bo more agressive on offense and average 16 and 3, or be more of a playmaker and average 12 and 5 like he did last season. If it was terry's choice he would average 26 and 2.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 02-21-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:38 AM   #11
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfan + Ravenfan
I think its avery's descison, wether he wants him to bo more agressive on offense and average 16 and 3, or be more of a playmaker and average 12 and 5 like he did last season. If it was terry's choice he would average 26 and 2.
I don't really agree with that. Despite his reputation as a "score first" tweener guard, I think Terry maintains a high propensity to pass. He's hit his lowest assists average ever this season so I'm inclined to believe he's not reaching potential there. Last year, he definitely wasn't comfortable with the system but I think we can pencil in 16 and 4 in the future (he's closer to 4 apg right now than 3) assuming his minutes stay about the same, which isn't bad at all.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
For example, Dee Brown on ESPN recently put Damp in the same category as Michael Olowokandi as a complete and utter bust...redirkulous. Damp is going to be a critical part of our championship run and people should recognize that while Diop is starting, Damp is still our primary center.
Well Randy Galloway calls both centers together trash. You have to remember that media types aren't necessarily the brightest bulb.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote