Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough
Default the media's stupidity

alright so i was watchin some basketball game on espn. at half time they had some dumb guy talkin about his mvp. he said he thinks it should be kobe. heres the part that gets me...his reason was..."well kobe has one thing the other mvp candidates such as nash and wade don't have (of course he didn't even mention dirk as a candidate) is a championship." so basically he is saying since kobe has a few rings he should be mvp.

did anyone else hear this idiot talk or is it just me???
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

the media is stupid.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
the media is stupid.
Incredibly so.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
the media is stupid.
the Pope is Catholic. both extremely obvious remarks.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

The media needs to pick up its nuts.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

The national media is asleep by the time most Mav games begin.

Dirk is the MVP, but the Mavs must win the West for Nash not to get the title.
(Nothing new here)
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine its bj armstrong that was talking because he has been all on kobe like awesome on chuck norris since the 81 point game.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I would imagine its bj armstrong that was talking because he has been all on kobe like awesome on chuck norris since the 81 point game.
Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris
Old 03-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
toucandave

toucandave is on a distinguished road

The pope is what????

Oh sh!t. No wonder those nuns didn't like my pope jokes.

Live and learn I guess.
toucandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Zero votes for Dirk. ESPNers couldn't be stupider: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2379911

They have double standard. Coming into the POs, the Dallas team isn't good enough to go further; coming into the MVP race, the Dallas team is too good to need a MVP Dirk.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

We could each take out a media member that's unwilling to vote for Dirk until it's a consensus as to who the MVP is...
Who's in?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
We could each take out a media member that's unwilling to vote for Dirk until it's a consensus as to who the MVP is...
Who's in?
Me and my boy got yo back Murph.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Who's in?
I'm in...I want a piece of that goofball walton!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'd galdly punch the snot out of Steven A. Smith...not sure he gets a vote.....but I'll knock the snot out of him just in case....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, listen, last year how many guys did you hear saying they were going to vote for Nash? My theory is that most people are going to give their votes to Dirk, though they may not be wholly comfortable admitting that in public at this point.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Hey, listen, last year how many guys did you hear saying they were going to vote for Nash? My theory is that most people are going to give their votes to Dirk, though they may not be wholly comfortable admitting that in public at this point.
Well I watched sportscenter to see the suns get spanked and nothing..
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, dummy....I mean chummy.....I get the impression that its Dirk's year.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-28-2006, 12:50 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Well I watched sportscenter to see the suns get spanked and nothing..
Meh (apologies, Rhylan!), I dunno. I've been watching tonight, and I saw some analysis that showed how off STAT is. The guy looked horrible on the highlights I saw, and they were pointing that out.

Besides that, I don't know how much hoopla you can expect from the Suns getting the shit kicked out of them on a slow Monday sports night. No one really puts them at the top of the league (that precious shelf is reserved for Timmy and the East-Coast team), so no one gets all that ruffled when they show their ass.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the ESPN poll is that they only voted for 1st place. In reality each voter can list five names with the votes counting for 10,7,5,3 or 1 point depending on where the player finished.

Dirk doesn't have to get the most first place votes, he only needs to amass the most points. It's conceivable (though admittedly not likely) that he could have won had this been an official vote.

I've said from day one that if the Mavs win the West he'll win the MVP and I still believe it. I don't think he has enough buzz to win it without that though.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

"I don't think he has enough buzz to win it without that though."

I've heard more "buzz" about Dirk from national media than anyone else lately...

Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #21
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

If we are taking out announcers, I want the TNT guy who roams the crowd in the bright gold suits.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #22
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

What's stupid to me is the whole MVP system. Determining a MVP before the playoffs? You do it after the playoffs is over so you can have true candidates and not the Kobe and Lebron's of the world who I enjoy watching but they have no business in the discussions. Atleast not now.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #23
sike
The Preacha

ok so the list so far goes:
sike: putting the smack down on Stephen A.
G-Man: gutting bad jacket guy (Craig Stager) help me?
dude: climbing a ladder to punch Walton....

anyone else?

Last edited by sike; 03-28-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, Dtown. If the MVP award were given out after the playoffs, then it would always just go to whoever won. And it would also make the finals MVP award kind of pointless.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

I think that reflects the misconception people have in general when it comes to championships, as though they are the end-all and be-all. Truth is, there is still amount of variance in play. Not as much as there is in the NCAA's, when advancing happens based on one game as opposed to a best-of-seven, but still enough.

You hear so many people point to championships as the ultimate indicator of the better team, and frankly, it's not certain that's the case.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I disagree, Dtown. If the MVP award were given out after the playoffs, then it would always just go to whoever won. And it would also make the finals MVP award kind of pointless.
Well to me the finals MVP is nothing but the player of the game with a trophy anyway. I was saying I think the MVP should be given after the playoffs. Not necessarily to the champions but atleast consider what was done throughout the regular and post season. Guy's like Kobe and Lebron shouldn't be the main candidates for the award IMO. But that system probably would be flawed since like you said it would probably just go to the champions star player which isn't something i'm immune to but I can see why someone would have a problem with it.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im in on the getting media members. Ill take tim legler. Geez i hate him.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

I get the impression that you guys are complaining about the media not being in love with the Mavs. Get over it...
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #29
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
I get the impression that you guys are complaining about the media not being in love with the Mavs. Get over it...
I get the impression that 95% of your posts are intended to criticize other posters. Get over it...
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #30
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
I get the impression that 95% of your posts are intended to criticize other posters. Get over it...

well my point is why worry over it? why waste energy in worrying why the media hates the mavs.. sheesh

Last edited by George Gervin; 03-28-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #31
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fans want their team to be appreciated. I would think that Spurs fans would understand that after getting no respect for their "asterisk" championship.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #32
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Fans want their team to be appreciated. I would think that Spurs fans would understand that after getting no respect for their "asterisk" championship.

well to clarify that the only people not respecting it were the fans of opposing teams..of course had thier respective team won they would have defended the title.. the media never disrespected the spurs in 99 only other fans..

Last edited by George Gervin; 03-28-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It figures that Bicurious George would infest a thread about stupidity.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #34
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

The reason the Mavs get disrespected is because our superstar is a 7 ft German white dude. We don't have some flashy black shooting guard player that performs magnificent dunks or can break down people off the dribble. That is it. and everyone thinks Dirk is soft, so the team must be soft. That is it, plain and simple, and it might be hard for a lot of people to swallow, but the truth nonetheless. And the other fact is Cuban, people do not like him outside of Dallas and especially the media. They love showing him whining in the crowd about a call or jumping around about something. That is the reason. Mabey if they win and championship, mabey, just mabey, they will quiet down.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #35
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

The Cavs, they suck, but they have Lebron and he gets all the praise in the world.
The Lakers, they suck but Kobe gets alot of praise and even MVP consideration
The Wizards, they suck, but everybody raves over Gilbert and how good he is
The Heat, decent team, but Dwayne gets tons of praise even when they suck
Old 03-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #36
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
It figures that Bicurious George would infest a thread about stupidity.

and you did as well! I am enjoying your company and your stupidity..
Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #37
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and you did as well! I am enjoying your company and your stupidity..
We've all been enjoying Doc's stupidity for many years.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote