Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default This loss was unnecessary

Nevertheless, we would have won this game if one of these things happened

a) the refs would call the fouls that went Duncan's way on the other side as well

b) Dirk gets the foul with approximately 1 minute to go

c) Dirk finds his rythm again (we all know that he doesn't like long breaks)

d) Dallas shoots their average FT percentage

e) we get at least some kind of production after we secure an offensive rebound (give the damn ball back to the point guard and play a system)

f) Crawford dies at halftime due to a true martyr fan

g) any of our players flops and whines in front of the refs like Duncan and Ginobilli or Popovic

h) Stackhouse doesn't turn around his very good performance during the last seconds and either takes the ball to the hoop after he secures it or just takes the timeout

i) Terry plays like he normally does

j) Dan Crawford dies right before the 2 minute mark.

There are number of possibilities left, but you can find them yourself. I'm very confident that we can win the next game and then take the series in six games.

We lost by a hair while putting on a sorry offensive performance. We'll win 4 other once nevertheless.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'd expect something like this from a Spurs fan. I'm sorry but the Mavs didn't lose this because of the refs.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne

a) the refs would call the fouls that went Duncan's way on the other side as well
I'm not a fan of blaming the refs. I will join in the bitchfest about them during a game at times but this isn't where to aim the blame in the vast majority of cases, including today. The fouls were in favor of the spurts 24-20, which isn't really all that much out of whack.

Quote:
Hard to argue with this one. This would have at least changed the game dynamic.

Quote:
OK. I can agree. I think there is much involved in this starting with Avery Johnson though.

Quote:
Noone should argue this, unless they are saying it is the only reason we lost which would be silly.

Quote:
e) we get at least some kind of production after we secure an offensive rebound (give the damn ball back to the point guard and play a system)
We lost a whole lot of opportunities after getting the offensive board today. I don't know what the stats are but I bet we converted under 50%. Sickening.

Quote:
I hate Crawford too...are you volunteering?

Quote:
g) any of our players flops and whines in front of the refs like Duncan and Ginobilli or Popovic
Naw...that just makes us look stupid. The spurts have that down somehow and that won't likely change.

Quote:
h) Stackhouse doesn't turn around his very good performance during the last seconds and either takes the ball to the hoop after he secures it or just takes the timeout
That last second play was a brain fart but I am not willing to tag this game on Stack, who was the primary reason the Mavs were in the game to begin with. You do realize he was our leading scorer and probably most efficient player today right?

Quote:
No kidding. Terry sucked balls so hard today that Reggie Evans tried to grab him.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
There are number of possibilities left, but you can find them yourself. I'm very confident that we can win the next game and then take the series in six games.

We lost by a hair while putting on a sorry offensive performance. We'll win 4 other once nevertheless.
I, like you, continue to think that the Mavs will win the Championship this year. I have no doubt the Mavs will win game 2.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-07-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

We just got beat.

The mavs were inconsistent in every aspect of the game - inside the arc defense, freethrows, unnecessary turnovers, total lack of bench support, JASON TERRY, Dirk's shots at the elbow - all contributed to this loss. No need to knee jerk about this loss. Even the consistency of Stack was for nothing because of the bone-headed play at the end, but it should have never come to that.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be a dick but is there ever a necessary loss?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Could the mavs have played better? YES. SHould they have played better? YES. If the officials had called the game evenly and the mavs and spurs played at exactly the same level they played at today would the mavs have won this game? YES. Yeah the mavs could have overcame it but terrible officiating in a 2pt game is the reason they lost. Yes bad shooting and ft shooting can also be called the reason they lost but they played better than the spurs did they just didnt play enough better to overcome the officiating. So yes the officiating was at the very least a MAJOR reason the mavs lost this game.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

BTW all of those things said this was game 1 and even with the bad officiating we had a chance to win it at the end. They havent even held serve yet so lets not go to far on the sky is falling ideal.

Edit - oh yeah, we HAVE to get at least one player who can feed the post. We are without question the worst post entry feeding team in the nba.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-07-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Good point.

5-0. Sorry, but 24-20 isn't that out of whack. We would have won had we executed our game. We did not.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

The problem was that it was extremely inconsistent. Duncan got away with at least 7 fouls based on the way they were calling dallas presumably because of verticality BUT on the other end the mavs get no verticality. The FTs would have been nice but it would have put duncan in foul trouble which would have been much more important. That and dirk got fouled on both of the last 2 possessions.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I agree that inconsistency and little equity in the type of call was there. I do. It was a contributing area of the loss. I just cannot assign blame to the refs when our lack of execution was so apparent.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-07-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Like i said there were obviously other areas to blame and the mavs could and should have still played well enough to win but if the game was officiated equitably the mavs win this game. That said again they won one game that the mavs played like crap in by 2 points. The sky isnt falling.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
That said again they won one game that the mavs played like crap in by 2 points. The sky isnt falling.
Exactly. We need to win only one game in SA to win the series because they won't get nothing in our house. How big are the chances that Dirk and Jet again both play subpar games while Duncan has one of his best games of the season? What are the odds that the team again makes 10% fewer fts than they normally make? And they still only lost by 2. Three more chances. And they look very good.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Possibly. If this loss shows the Mavs that this series won't be a cakewalk like the Memphis one and ignites the fire in every one of the Mavs' bellies, then I'd say it is a necessary loss. It wasn't our day. It happens. But, if the Mavs are going to be champs this year they can't afford another bad day. With that said, F' the Spurs. We pretty much sucked today and they only beat us by 2.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Long time, no see. But it is good to be back. I totally agree that the refs were very inconsistent today. Some of the fouls on the Mavs' centers were ridiculous - they got fouls when Duncan created the contact, pushed off, etc. I guess that is just typical NBA super start treatment.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
ramblingBling
Banned

ramblingBling can only hope to improve

If I told you before the game that DJ Mbenga would play , how many points would you think the Mavs were going to lose by?
Granted he did only play briefly . But, they did have a shot at the win at the buzzer.
Not bad. We'll see Tuesday
ramblingBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

This sucks! So much for using the Mav's as motivation to study for my final!! I went for run to relieve the anger, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
Obi Wan Ginobili

Obi Wan Ginobili is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne

You forgot :

k) mavs score more points that the spurs.

Yep, totally the refs fault the mavs lost.

I dont know how this series will end, but mavs are tough and will be either spurs or mavs taking on the hated pistons. If we cant make it, i will cheer the mavs on.

Something to keep in mind though as you dont get to see the spurs play 80 games in a season as we do. The spurs are masters at executing and closing big games. We see it all the time.

Last edited by Obi Wan Ginobili; 05-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Obi Wan Ginobili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Obi Wan Ginobili

hmmm. that quote got messed up
Old 05-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #19
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Too bad Dallas fans use the refs as excuses. I saw a bunch of no-calls on both teams.

What kind of game did Dirk have in the second half? What were his stats?

Dirk is the go-to player for the Mavs like Tim is for the Spurs.

Why is it so hard to just say it: Dirk had a bad second half. Bowen is the reason why--even AJ stated that in the post-game press conference.

Still--as bad as his game was, Dallas led most of the game and lost only by 2.

Its going to be a great series.

When the Spurs lose, I'll admit it and give props to the Mavs. (And they will lose--I predict this series goes to 7 games).
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Must be TwoDeep's Spur alter ego.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

To the people that say well dirk played poorly and duncan didnt, reverse the calls and see who plays poorly. Duncan did play well but he got at least 4 completely BS calls and dirk had at least 3 obvious missed calls against him. Correct those calls and they played remarkably similar games. The problem with the spurs is they get more calls than any team except maybe detroit so when a game is called even close to evenly they think it was horrendous. Duncan doesnt help when he whines after he commits his 7th foul of the game and gets called for his second. I hate that guy. I really do. I used to like him and i still respect him as a player but good lord he is a bitch.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #22
Obi Wan Ginobili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
To the people that say well dirk played poorly and duncan didnt, reverse the calls and see who plays poorly. Duncan did play well but he got at least 4 completely BS calls and dirk had at least 3 obvious missed calls against him. Correct those calls and they played remarkably similar games. The problem with the spurs is they get more calls than any team except maybe detroit so when a game is called even close to evenly they think it was horrendous. Duncan doesnt help when he whines after he commits his 7th foul of the game and gets called for his second. I hate that guy. I really do. I used to like him and i still respect him as a player but good lord he is a bitch.
Lame. For every "BS call" against the mavs i could point to one made against the spurs, and so it is in every NBA game. There is not an NBA player in history that has ever commited a foul. The calls usually even up in games. The one exception that comes to mind - the complete travesty that stole the superbowl from Seattle.

Truth is, if there had been execution (and i am saying this for any team) for 4 quarters, a couple of bad calls or missed free throws dont matter. Course Spurs have another level to this problem, they are a crappy freethrow shooting team and it is not uncommon for them to miss 12 freethrows a game - that loses games.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #23
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Ginobili
Lame. For every "BS call" against the mavs i could point to one made against the spurs, and so it is in every NBA game. There is not an NBA player in history that has ever commited a foul. The calls usually even up in games. The one exception that comes to mind - the complete travesty that stole the superbowl from Seattle.

Truth is, if there had been execution (and i am saying this for any team) for 4 quarters, a couple of bad calls or missed free throws dont matter. Course Spurs have another level to this problem, they are a crappy freethrow shooting team and it is not uncommon for them to miss 12 freethrows a game - that loses games.
I think the main difference between the 2 is that, yeah there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but the Mavs don't cry like girl bitches when a call goes against them. They give the ball to the ref and walk to the other end of the court. I could really care less about everytime we go to commercial we see Duncan or Bowen or Ginobli crying like they just lost their mother at the refs. Makes me freakin sick. The Spurs won because of a bad decision made by Stack in the last 4 seconds of the game. I hope that makes all the Spurs fans happy. A mistake that won't happen again got you the win. Be proud Spurts.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Yes the mavs still should have won and it is on them to play better. I have said that forever but in a 2 pt game the officiating is extremely important and it without question favored the spurs today.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
Obi Wan Ginobili

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
I think the main difference between the 2 is that, yeah there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but the Mavs don't cry like girl bitches when a call goes against them. They give the ball to the ref and walk to the other end of the court. I could really care less about everytime we go to commercial we see Duncan or Bowen or Ginobli crying like they just lost their mother at the refs. Makes me freakin sick. The Spurs won because of a bad decision made by Stack in the last 4 seconds of the game. I hope that makes all the Spurs fans happy. A mistake that won't happen again got you the win. Be proud Spurts.
Mavs dont seem to whine much true, but again, for everytime you see duncan complain i can show you a mav complaining. The two teams seem to be classy without excessive whining.

Here is the deal, and i see it on most boards, the Spurs win and dont make excuses or call the league office after losses. They have been in the playoffs 9 straight years and have won 3 championships in 6 years. People hate that. I live and die with the Cowboys, but it is the same way there... everywhere i go people STILL hate the Cowboys, and the Cowboys have mostly been a class act. That will change with the TO deal, but that is another topic. Other fans HATE successful, winning teams and look for reasons to hate them which can be fabricated quite easily.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

The spurs are not classy. Bowen is a piece of crap who will sadly be exposed in global competion if he makes the US team. I hate that because i want the US team to do well BUT we have seen as with duncan that spurs players dont seem to do as well in international play without the terrible nba offciating. Bowen is bad for the game of basketball and its a shame that they let him get away with the crap he pulls. I have said this long before they decided to put him on dirk btw. His little habit of putting his feet uner other peoples feet as they land for jumpers is disgusting and when he tries it in this series if one of the centers doesnt commit an EXTREMELY hard foul i will be pissed.(not trying to injure him because i dont ever want anyone to get hurt but a nice solid elbow to the nose and face region would work. As for them not complaining, they get more calls than anyone. What the hell do they have to complain about?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-08-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #27
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down

Quote:
Mavs dont seem to whine much true, but again, for everytime you see duncan complain i can show you a mav complaining. The two teams seem to be classy without excessive whining.
Here is the deal, and i see it on most boards, the Spurs win and dont make excuses or call the league office after losses. They have been in the playoffs 9 straight years and have won 3 championships in 6 years. People hate that. I live and die with the Cowboys, but it is the same way there... everywhere i go people STILL hate the Cowboys, and the Cowboys have mostly been a class act. That will change with the TO deal, but that is another topic. Other fans HATE successful, winning teams and look for reasons to hate them which can be fabricated quite easily.
Ok first, the Spurs are not classy at all. They excessively complain about calls. EVERY CALL.
Second, do you associate what Cuban does with every Mavs fan? If so, then you my sir are a dumbass.
This is what I see when I watch basketball games, and this has been all season long. When the SPurs get called for a foul, they wave their hands in the air, they run over the the refs, Duncan does his little hold the ball under your chin with your elbows sticking out and pout on national TV. When I see the Mavs get called for a foul, I see them mabey get pissed and walk over to the ref and say something. Then that is it.
I don't hate the Spurs for winning 3 championships, they deserved them. I don't like Spurs fans who think that they deserve this championship, or the next one.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #28
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't agree with this. The Spurs seem to be big on complaining to officials. Even Kings fans were surprised be the amount of whining they did during the first round. As far as whining goes, they are some of the worst in the league.

Quote:
Here is the deal, and i see it on most boards, the Spurs win and dont make excuses or call the league office after losses.
That's just funny. I guess you've forgotten the petitioning and mayhem that ensued after Derek Fisher's 0.4 second shot.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-08-2006 at 09:14 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #29
Obi Wan Ginobili

Quote:
Ok first, the Spurs are not classy at all. They excessively complain about calls. EVERY CALL.
Second, do you associate what Cuban does with every Mavs fan? If so, then you my sir are a dumbass.
This is what I see when I watch basketball games, and this has been all season long. When the SPurs get called for a foul, they wave their hands in the air, they run over the the refs, Duncan does his little hold the ball under your chin with your elbows sticking out and pout on national TV. When I see the Mavs get called for a foul, I see them mabey get pissed and walk over to the ref and say something. Then that is it.
I don't hate the Spurs for winning 3 championships, they deserved them. I don't like Spurs fans who think that they deserve this championship, or the next one.
OK, the "pouty" thing tim does, is not pouting... it is some ritual thing he has, he does it before the opening tipoff of every game...before a call has been made. Have heard it relaxes him.

But you are right, Spurs complain all the time about every single call, and the mavs NEVER complain. Spurs get all the calls, mavs get none. Spurs dont deserve to win.....those cheating bastards.

I am done with this topic, typical Spurs hate-fest. As a former Richardson-ite i expected more from Dallas fans.

Last edited by Obi Wan Ginobili; 05-08-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #30
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
MABEY you didn't hear me. I am not hating on the Spurs, they deserved to win those Championships. I think though that they are little BITCHES because they complain so much. And I just love how you Spurs fans think you deserve this champion ship without even playing the good teams yet except for now.

Last edited by sixeightmkw; 05-08-2006 at 09:23 AM.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #31
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody said the Mavs NEVER complain...but its not their typical behavior. The Spurs are habitual about it.

It'd take a blind eye not to admit to this.

Quote:
I am done with this topic, typical Spurs hate-fest. As a former Richardson-ite i expected more from Dallas fans.
I suspect the reason you are done with this topic is that you are unable to substantiate your claims, and its just easier to bail out when you back yourself into a corner like this.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-08-2006 at 09:26 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #32
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
OK, the "pouty" thing tim does, is not pouting... it is some ritual thing he has, he does it before the opening tipoff of every game...before a call has been made. Have heard it relaxes him.
I've always wondered why he did that. Glad you cleared it up. However, that's not what I see him do when he gets called for a foul. I see him put his hands on his head and shake his head staring at the official like, "How dare you call a foul on me. I'm TIM DUNCAN." Whatever.

The Mavs during Nellie's day were just as bad as the Spurs when it comes to whining IMO. However, the only Mav that I see whine excessively now is Howard. He needs to stop. As many have stated, it just makes you look like a bitch. (I feel dirty for using that word.)

And on the classiness issue, I find the Spurs to be respectable. If they didn't whine they way they did, I would almost find them classy. They are a very good team. The Mavs have their work cut out for them. BUT, I don't think Duncan deserves the star treatment he is getting and has been getting over the past few years. NO player deserves to be treated differently by the refs. That's just bs.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.

Last edited by raefformvp; 05-08-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #33
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok first, the Spurs are not classy at all.
excluding the Mavs, what franchise has been more classy than the Spurs?

Quote:
I don't like Spurs fans who think that they deserve this championship, or the next one.
this is like not liking water because it's wet....fans are eternal optimists and almost invariably have very high expectations.

I agree that Duncan has never committed a foul in his life (if you ask Timmy), but he ain't the first and he won't be the last player to do this. I like that the Mavs players are doing less whining and more playing -- I'd like to see them take this position to the extreme... but all the same, Avery needs to work the refs hard, that's just part of the game.

cheers
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Obi Wan Ginobili

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I've always wondered why he did that. Glad you cleared it up. However, that's not what I see him do when he gets called for a foul. I see him put his hands on his head and shake his head staring at the official like, "How dare you call a foul on me. I'm TIM DUNCAN." Whatever.

The Mavs during Nellie's day were just as bad as the Spurs when it comes to whining IMO. However, the only Mav that I see whine excessively now is Howard. He needs to stop. As many have stated, it just makes you look like a bitch. (I feel dirty for using that word.)

And on the classiness issue, I find the Spurs to be respectable. If they didn't whine they way they did, I would almost find them classy. They are a very good team. The Mavs have their work cut out for them. BUT, I don't think Duncan deserves the star treatment he is getting and has been getting over the past few years. NO player deserves to be treated differently by the refs. That's just bs.
Thx for rationally replying. I guess each fan sees the game thru their own prism. We see fouls on us others don't, you see fouls other fans dont. If you watched 80+ spurs games you would see TD getting pounded in the paint continuously, many not called. Hell, in one game he had the ball on the sideline and was pushed (hard) from behind, sending him reeling out of bounds... Bavetta (we hate this guy as he has sooooo many poor calls) called travelling on DUncan

So, i expect he gets frustrated like any other player. As for ref favortism, look to Kobe or Shaq - that is excessive start treatment.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

I fully agree that the mavs used to whine as much if not more than anyone back in the nelson and nash days. The problem is duncan does get every bit as much star treatment as the two guys you mentioned. Oh well it was an entertaining if not well played game and I expect 5 more entertaining games. Should be fun. The spurs won. The mavs lost. Now the mavs need to win game 2.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #36
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Thx for rationally replying. I guess each fan sees the game thru their own prism. We see fouls on us others don't, you see fouls other fans dont. If you watched 80+ spurs games you would see TD getting pounded in the paint continuously, many not called. Hell, in one game he had the ball on the sideline and was pushed (hard) from behind, sending him reeling out of bounds... Bavetta (we hate this guy as he has sooooo many poor calls) called travelling on DUncan

So, i expect he gets frustrated like any other player. As for ref favortism, look to Kobe or Shaq - that is excessive start treatment.
Oh, I have no doubt he gets hammered continuously. I've seen it. But, you have to admit that he does his share of fouling. There were many calls yesterday against a Mav where Duncan pushed off and it could have gone either way. Same thing happens to Dirk though. It is the nature of the game. Just wish Duncan could get the whining thing under control. He's an amazing talent, and that just detracts from how great he is. Since we are on the topic of Duncan, that guy travels A LOT. I've always noticed it. Especially on transition when he catches the ball at the top of the key when trailing. He takes like 4 steps. Why is that allowed? Just curious.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bavetta (we hate this guy as he has sooooo many poor calls) called travelling on DUncan
funny....i actually figured the Mavs chances depend upon how many games Bavetta calls the game rather than Joey Crawford...

Bavetta -- good for mavs
Crawford -- bad for mavs

reading your comment makes me think Bavetta is a must for the Mavs....
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #38
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

SMH@guys thinking the Spurs aren't classy because they dispute calls. As if the Mavs or no other team in the league complains about calls. Let them do it. Usually it results into 3 or 4 on 5 disadvantages. That benefits the Mavs.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Because he has a reputation for great footwork. THe funny thing is its a catch 22. he looks like he has great footwork because he travels but he doesnt get called for traveling because of his footwork.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #40
Obi Wan Ginobili

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
Oh, I have no doubt he gets hammered continuously. I've seen it. But, you have to admit that he does his share of fouling. There were many calls yesterday against a Mav where Duncan pushed off and it could have gone either way. Same thing happens to Dirk though. It is the nature of the game. Just wish Duncan could get the whining thing under control. He's an amazing talent, and that just detracts from how great he is. Since we are on the topic of Duncan, that guy travels A LOT. I've always noticed it. Especially on transition when he catches the ball at the top of the key when trailing. He takes like 4 steps. Why is that allowed? Just curious.
Yes, Duncan does do that at the top of the key... a lot. I guess it isnt called as there is no impact on the play he is just catching the ball and takes an extra step or two to stop. I see it all the time and think, "one day they will call that" but as i said not impact. It is kinda like when the players inbounding the ball after a basket only get one foot over the line... completely unrelated to any play.

But, as another person posted, Duncan has great footwork in the paint for a big man... "the Big Fundamental" the announcers call him.