Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dirk getting double-teamed when Duncan is in foul trouble

I know i'm not the only one that noticed this yesterday -- When Duncan was in foul trouble, they were bringing Tony Parker as the doubler.

All Dirk has to do is start driving to the bucket, away from Parker and he should be able to get an easy bucket or make a pass for a layup every time. It creates havoc for SA's defense.

He did this ONCE yesterday and Van Horn got a layup. On all the other occasions, he was standing and trying to make a pass over the top.

Let's hope the mavs pull this one out. I don't know if I can go through the offseason hearing from spurs fans at work about how we choked.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

The only problem I have with Dirk is his passing out of the double team. He really needs to work on that in the off-season. Watch the way Duncan passes out of the double down, and watch how Dirk does it. More times than not, Dirk throws the ball away, and we can't have that, and I think that's why they keep double teaming Dirk. His passes..

Having said that, the Spurs were given a Christmas present when Terry was suspended, because they knew that we didn't have any consistant shooters in the game, and when you have those shooters, you can't be doubling down on folks. We tried to put Van Horn in and he was a good shooter, but his defense was pathetic.

So the Spurs moved their players closer to the basket because of the lack of a threat on the perimeter, and when Dirk get's the foul line pass, they can double him, and no one can knock down the open jumper.

Last edited by mavsjunkie; 05-20-2006 at 10:36 PM.
mavsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan usually passes out of the double more easily because he's in the low post distributing it to 3 point shooters; Dirk's passes are while he's on the elbow or perimeter mostly, which is a bit harder. Watch his turnovers again and see where they're happening.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Then something needs to be changed. And it wouldn't hurt for the Mavs to send Dirk deep in the post sometimes. Maybe now that Van Horn is back, we can have KVH and JT on the court at the same time, and send Dirk in the post and let him abuse their big guys and small guys.

Also, Dirk has to be more careful, because they are double teaming him as he makes his spin move, he should probably not do much spinning, and either do his pump fakes and shoot, or take it strong.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk was brilliant at passing the ball in the 4th. I believe he had 4 assists in the 4th to go along with two passes that resulted in FT's and another 2 passes that resulted in missed layups.

The Mavs attacked the Spurs perfectly in the 4th when they doubled Dirk. The problem was that when the offense wasn't running through Dirk in the 4th, the Mavs didn't do a thing.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
BaselineBum

BaselineBum will become famous soon enoughBaselineBum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
I know i'm not the only one that noticed this yesterday -- When Duncan was in foul trouble, they were bringing Tony Parker as the doubler.

All Dirk has to do is start driving to the bucket, away from Parker and he should be able to get an easy bucket or make a pass for a layup every time. It creates havoc for SA's defense.

He did this ONCE yesterday and Van Horn got a layup. On all the other occasions, he was standing and trying to make a pass over the top.

Let's hope the mavs pull this one out. I don't know if I can go through the offseason hearing from spurs fans at work about how we choked.
I must admit, that is what pisses me off the most about the way the Spurs defend Dirk. They double team him on the perimeter and sombody gets an uncontested 15 footer that goes down 90% of the time. You would think Pop would have learnd his lesson after the 2 games in Dallas but no, he stays with it. Me personally, I would rather have Dirk go off for 50 but everyone else shut down. But that's just me.

Last edited by BaselineBum; 05-21-2006 at 01:02 PM.
BaselineBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Game 7:

If Howard continues to stay on Parker, and Terry covers Bowen/Finley/Barry, then Harris will have to take Manu. How will this matchup turn out?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
Game 7:

If Howard continues to stay on Parker, and Terry covers Bowen/Finley/Barry, then Harris will have to take Manu. How will this matchup turn out?
I love that matchup. Terry can cover guys who aren't going to do a damn thing, and Devin can stay with Ginobli. I don't see how Howard was able to stay with the lightening fast Parker, but if it works, then stay with it.

Also, Diop and Damp need to play Duncan exactly how Damp played him the other night. Back off when he wants to go straight to the bucket, and force him to turn inside. Don't try to body him up, or he will draw a foul. You barely touch Duncan a whistle will blow.

But if you have to foul him, try to take his arms off (with a hard foul) and don't give him any continuations.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see Damp pull the chair on Duncan a couple of times....... I wonder if that's a foul as well in this series?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be a foul on Damp.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:49 AM   #11
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

just take a hard foul on him. make him at least work for it, cause you know he's gonna get a foul call even if he barely touches damp. make him work for it from the line instead of getting the 3 pt. play.