Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worst movie at the theater (A Warning Thread)

Or, if you are into really bad movies, this could be a recommendation thread.

Somehow I've managed to miss a lot of bad movies at the theater (thank you rottentomatoes). But last night I went in with very little information, and ended up watching:

Idiocracy.

With Luke Wilson and Mya Rudolph (if I had known she was in it, I wouldn't have gone, but she did a fair job). The movie has an "almost good" central idea. It's about an average Joe (Wilson) who volunteers for an army experiment and wakes up after 500 years of suspended animation to find that he's the smartest person on earth. Evolution has allowed the dumbest of the dumb to procreate and populate the earth for centuries and what results is an endless string of "look how dumb these people are" jokes. Unfortunately, I think the producers must have gone into this future to find cheap script-writers.

1 star, despite what could have been nice commentary on what FoxTV and Pro Wrestling will do to people's brains.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I LOVED this movie. It was completely ridiculous, but the entire premise was humorous, and I thought the future world was freaking hilarious.

Now, I will admit, I was predisposed to like this movie. I went to see it because Mike Judge was the director (Office Space).

As an official Office Space nerd, it was almost a given that I would see and enjoy a low budget comedy directed by Mike Judge that wasn't going to be widely released, and would probably be ignored by the majority of the public.

I'll be interested to see how many people I know see this movie and enjoy it. I do not enjoy stupid comedies, in general, but there was so many small, funny details to this movie that it just killed me, and the satire about the current culture was just great.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 09-05-2006 at 12:58 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - I was an extra in this movie when they filmed it in Austin, under the working title of 2001: A Space Idiot... I thought they shelved it...

Nothing interesting ever happens as an extra, so I have no stories to tell - I got to meet Mike Judge & Luke Wilson, but we were working, so whatever... It was fun to do, but I couldn't tell if it would be a very good movie... I haven't seen it yet - I'm going to wait until it's out on DVD... I wonder if I'll be able to spot myself wandering around the streets like a complete idiot? (like I said - it was fun to make!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-05-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, UL, it's not surprising that you knew nothing about this movie. Their production company has not promoted it AT ALL. Literally. Not even press kits. There's a lot of rumors floating around that they caved to corporate pressure from companies like Starbucks, FuddRuckers, and Costco, because they didn't apprecite the satire at their expense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Here's a great review, just in case anyone is interested. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on this simply because it isn't being promoted. It was only released in 7 cities across the country.

http://www.filmjerk.com/reviews/article.php?id_rev=917

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Haha - I was an extra in this movie when they filmed it in Austin, under the working title of 2001: A Space Idiot... I thought they shelved it...

Nothing interesting ever happens as an extra, so I have no stories to tell - I got to meet Mike Judge & Luke Wilson, but we were working, so whatever... It was fun to do, but I couldn't tell if it would be a very good movie... I haven't seen it yet - I'm going to wait until it's out on DVD... I wonder if I'll be able to spot myself wandering around the streets like a complete idiot? (like I said - it was fun to make!)
how the hell did you become an extra?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

must leave work and go see movie immediately
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Have any of you seen the movie Accepted? Does anyone know if it's good?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
BTW, UL, it's not surprising that you knew nothing about this movie. Their production company has not promoted it AT ALL. Literally. Not even press kits. There's a lot of rumors floating around that they caved to corporate pressure from companies like Starbucks, FuddRuckers, and Costco, because they didn't apprecite the satire at their expense.
The other rumor I've read is that they are trying to non-promote a crappy movie into cult status.

But I didn't mean this to be a thread just about this one movie, rather, I was hoping for a thread about any crappy movie anyone wants to advise anyone else against.

I've noticed a similar lack of promotion for The Illusionist. It just kinda appeared at some theaters. It's got Edward Norton in it, so along with the lack of promotion, I'm going to guess: CRAPPY MOVIE!

I've heard that Wicker Man is unintentionally funny, but I haven't seen it.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
The other rumor I've read is that they are trying to non-promote a crappy movie into cult status.

But I didn't mean this to be a thread just about this one movie, rather, I was hoping for a thread about any crappy movie anyone wants to advise anyone else against.

I've noticed a similar lack of promotion for The Illusionist. It just kinda appeared at some theaters. It's got Edward Norton in it, so along with the lack of promotion, I'm going to guess: CRAPPY MOVIE!

I've seen previews for the Illusionist at the theaters and on tv.

BTW, for what it's worth, Idiocracy is doing fairly well with critics, although not many have reviewed it yet. It's sitting at 67% at RottenTomatoes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Only one part when the village is doing something (that's all I say) to Nick Cage and he almost comedically says, "No! my legs!"

Pretty funny stuff.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Aaargh!!! Idiocracy is sticking with me. I did laugh out loud a couple times in the theater. And the folks who played police officers were great. After a couple of days, I'm having to try pretty hard to remember some of the scraptastic acting and just plain bad scripting, but some of the better stuff is staying with me. Overall, the thing still reminds me of a mediocre episode of futurama.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
how the hell did you become an extra?
I lived in Austin at the time & I have several years of light-acting experience (mostly bit roles, voice-overs & English dubs for anime - nothing spectacular... Except I DID get to play a Chocobo in Final Fantasy: Unlimited... )

Last edited by Underdog; 09-06-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Aaargh!!! Idiocracy is sticking with me. I did laugh out loud a couple times in the theater. And the folks who played police officers were great. After a couple of days, I'm having to try pretty hard to remember some of the scraptastic acting and just plain bad scripting, but some of the better stuff is staying with me. Overall, the thing still reminds me of a mediocre episode of futurama.
Brawndo! It's what plants crave! It's got electrolytes!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
Underdog

Crappy movies? How about Snakes on a Plane??? Just because the creator of a bad movie calls it a "cult hit", doesn't really make it so... The audience decides what's "cult" or not - anyone who claims to have a cult hit on their hands BEFORE people see the movie is obviously trying to hype it up because they expect it to bomb... Snakes on a Plane has NO redeeming camp value - it takes itself a little more seriously than the typical tongue-in-cheek cult classic (think Evil Dead vs. Evil Dead 2, but without the innocence of inexperience...)

Disagree with me if you will - your tastes & mine differ, so we'll have to agree to disagree...

Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

when in rome...hahah....nah snakes on a plane bombed!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Uhm... Devil wears Prada? Absolutelyno dudes in this theater! Only Women and those who wants to be a woman.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #18
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Uhm... Devil wears Prada? Absolutelyno dudes in this theater! Only Women and those who wants to be a woman.
Is that why you went?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 09-07-2006 at 09:54 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Yep!

You too were there! Oh ok.. you weren't!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #20
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Crappy movies? How about Snakes on a Plane??? Just because the creator of a bad movie calls it a "cult hit", doesn't really make it so... The audience decides what's "cult" or not - anyone who claims to have a cult hit on their hands BEFORE people see the movie is obviously trying to hype it up because they expect it to bomb... Snakes on a Plane has NO redeeming camp value - it takes itself a little more seriously than the typical tongue-in-cheek cult classic (think Evil Dead vs. Evil Dead 2, but without the innocence of inexperience...)

Disagree with me if you will - your tastes & mine differ, so we'll have to agree to disagree...

Could you explain to me how you thought Snakes on a Plane took itself seriously?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Could you explain to me how you thought Snakes on a Plane took itself seriously?
Well, I haven't seen it, but the director certainly took himself seriously in every interview I read. He wanted no part of the campy movie bit.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Yeah, the movie itself wasn't serious, but it certainly wasn't campy, nor did it take the time to make fun of itself... I dunno, I just think Snakes on a Plane was a horrible film that tried to legitimize itself with a clever PR campaign - no better or worse than all the other dreck that goes straight to DVD...

Old 09-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

oooh, this looks like a contender:

Quote:
'The Black Dahlia' Is Extremely Bad [John Podhoretz]
To describe The Black Dahlia as one of the worst movies ever made is an insult to many of the worst movies ever made. And it has what may be the single most ridiculous climax I've ever seen. It's almost worth seeing so you can stare open-mouthed at the screen in abject disbelief as the movie proposes its risible solution to the real-life unsolved murder that obsessed Los Angeles 60 years ago. Notice I said "almost." It's not worth seeing. Under any circumstances. Ever.
(from corner.nationalreview.com)
Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Incidentally, Idiocracy is up to 75% at RottenTomatoes.com.

Not a bad movie, at all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #25
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Incidentally, Idiocracy is up to 75% at RottenTomatoes.com.

Not a bad movie, at all.
cognitive dissonance
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #26
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was going to be about Ice Age 2.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote