Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Old habits die hard for some Mavericks

Old habits die hard for some Mavericks

New Mavericks find it challenging to adjust to Johnson's system

03:56 AM CDT on Monday, October 23, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Devean George underestimated the impact that seven seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers had on him.

Not that he took three championships in his first three seasons for granted. Or the opportunity to play with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

But he's realizing how much playing for coach Phil Jackson affected him. It was a great experience, don't get George wrong. But he still goes to sleep seeing triangles in his head, a result of the offense that Jackson relentlessly ran.

"I like my role here, like it a lot," George said. "But I'm still struggling in breaking some of my old habits. I didn't really realize how much I was programmed."

George, the 6-8 swingman, has had a modest preseason statistically. But he has put most of his effort into learning the terminology and the intricacies of coach Avery Johnson's system.

In Los Angeles, George often was the third point of the triangle that funneled most of the offense to Bryant or O'Neal. Spotting up for jumpers was a big part of George's responsibility.

The Mavericks' system stresses more player and ball movement, and it is an adjustment Johnson saw coming – not only for George, but all of the new Mavericks.

"It doesn't happen overnight," Johnson said. "It's quicker for some players than others, but there are so many little things about the way we like to play. It just takes time for new guys to get comfortable."

George, like Austin Croshere and Anthony Johnson, has been in the NBA Finals, which is a major reason why the Mavericks pursued them in the off-season.

But with all of them, including Greg Buckner, expected to be in the playing rotation, the Mavericks don't expect to resemble a well-oiled machine in the early portion of the regular season.

"This preseason, it's crazy how programmed I was," George said. "I think everything is totally opposite from what I'm used to doing. But it'll work its way through. That's why we have preseason. Everyday it gets a little better."

Testing, testing: The Mavericks had a test on pages 23 through 59 of the playbook Sunday. Jason Terry said some of the new Mavericks have had a little trouble with the exams.

"If you're familiar with the system, it's not that tough," Terry said. "I haven't coughed up any [money] yet. But I'm pretty sure some of the rookies have."

Fines – higher for veterans, lower for new Mavs and rookies – are doled out to those who don't pass the test.

Lighten up: Johnson has said too much attention is being paid to Devin Harris' perimeter shooting.

"He is not a shooter," Johnson said. "His primary role is to be a playmaker and a penetrator. I don't know why everybody is focusing on him shooting the ball. He made it in the league as a scorer, but primarily as a penetrator. That's how he helped us in the San Antonio series.

"We want him to focus on penetrating and passing. And then if there's nothing there, take your shot."

Harris said although he's worked hard on his shooting, he knows what style fits him best.

"We're not going to win and lose games on my jump shot," he said. "I'm a penetrator. That's what I do. If that's what they take away, then you do other things, and that's where the jump shot comes in."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links