Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default LT the TD machine

LaDainian Tomlinson has scored 4 TDs in two consecutive games (ties an NFL record), has scored 19 TDs in six games (NFL record) and now has 100 career TDs in only 89 games (4 fewer games than either Jim Brown or Emmitt Smith).

Question #1: Is LT the best RB in the NFL this season?
Question #2: Do you think LT could become the best RB in the history of the NFL?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

#1 - yes
#2 - totally depends on injury.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i may be burned at the stake for saying this, but I think LT is a better all around back right now then emmitt ever was.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will be burned for saying that. The guy catches like a receiver and throws like a quarterback on top of putting up crazy yards and scoring numerous touchdowns. He could very easily be considered the greatest RB of all time if he continues to do this. He is definitely on pace to break some major records.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet he can't dance with the stars though.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I don't think you will be burned for saying that. The guy catches like a receiver and throws like a quarterback on top of putting up crazy yards and scoring numerous touchdowns. He could very easily be considered the greatest RB of all time if he continues to do this. He is definitely on pace to break some major records.
I agree with everything there.

The guy is an amazing freak of a human being.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

LT> Emmitt hands down
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Emmitt just ahems, looks up and says SCOREBOARD.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Some things LT doesn't have:
1) A Super Bowl ring
2) The NFL all-time yardage record

He may get any or all of these, but until he does, you can't really compare him to Emmitt. What I will say is that LT is the best back in the NFL right now and approaching consideration for best back of his generation. Longevity and post-season success will be the key for him building his legacy.

Those four touchdowns may have been enough to get by the Broncos, but they weren't enough to get by my fantasy team! 9-2 Biatch!

Last edited by Darth Ape; 11-20-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
LT> Emmitt hands down
Ummm. No. Is there an argument to be made for it? There is. But to say hands down is ridiculous. There is NO ONE that is > Emmitt "hands down". I dont mean to say that emmitt is necesarrily the best rb in the history of the nfl or anything but he has an argument for being better than any other rb. You know why? Because he has more rushing yards, rushing tds, and total tds than any other rb. That is in and of itself a legit argument and since he has an argument its not hands down.

As for how I feel about this, I think right now LT is probably as good/better than emmitt ever was but emmitt was SO good for SO long and I really think people have begun to forget how utterly great emmitt was...

LT is basically, Barry's cutting and speed with Emmitts vision and power. Its a sick combination but give it some time before you rank him over emmitt. I would rank him top 5 of all time already though...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Ummm. No. Is there an argument to be made for it? There is. But to say hands down is ridiculous. There is NO ONE that is > Emmitt "hands down". I dont mean to say that emmitt is necesarrily the best rb in the history of the nfl or anything but he has an argument for being better than any other rb. You know why? Because he has more rushing yards, rushing tds, and total tds than any other rb. That is in and of itself a legit argument and since he has an argument its not hands down.

As for how I feel about this, I think right now LT is probably as good/better than emmitt ever was but emmitt was SO good for SO long and I really think people have begun to forget how utterly great emmitt was...

LT is basically, Barry's cutting and speed with Emmitts vision and power. Its a sick combination but give it some time before you rank him over emmitt. I would rank him top 5 of all time already though...
thank you - i think longevity will be a key - Terrell Davis was tearing up the league for a few years and people started to talk him up. Unfortunately he got injured but that's part of the measure of a great RB. Otherwise we'd be discussing Earl Campbell, Gale Sayers, etc.

That said, LT is pretty amazing. Who's closest to him right now? Larry Johnson? Tiki?
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

im just comparing the two at their absolute peak, not the body of work.

i think if you look at body of work, emmitt is better. but comparing the two right now, LT is just an incredible machine.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Emmitt also had the greatest line ever.

IMO, LT at his peak trumps Emmitt. However, Emmitt's durability was off the charts and we'll see if LT can measure up there. If so, records will be smashed.

I think Jerry's records are safe but we'll see.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
im just comparing the two at their absolute peak, not the body of work.

i think if you look at body of work, emmitt is better. but comparing the two right now, LT is just an incredible machine.
I don't think there's any question.

Watch the guy run, watch him catch, even watch him pass!! Emmit did not move like that.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Emmitt also had the greatest line ever.

IMO, LT at his peak trumps Emmitt. However, Emmitt's durability was off the charts and we'll see if LT can measure up there. If so, records will be smashed.

I think Jerry's records are safe but we'll see.
The greatest line ever? Yes that oline was amazing but Im so tired of hearing that argument when that Oline will have MAYBE 1 hofer... Dont forget Larry Didnt get here until 95... If you want to make that argument its fine but they need 3 or 4 hofers then which we all know has 0 chance of happening...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LT will look back on his career say ahem look up and say scoreboard.

The kid is the best and I hold Barry Sanders slightly over Emmitt and Brown in that race. Once all is said and done it will be LT for all the reasons that Dan said above.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
LT will look back on his career say ahem look up and say scoreboard.

The kid is the best and I hold Barry Sanders slightly over Emmitt and Brown in that race. Once all is said and done it will be LT for all the reasons that Dan said above.
Oh I think barring injury he will most likely go down as the best but its not quite time for that yet. Now as for right now, hes having probably the best season in nfl history...
Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he has about 10,000 more yards to go yet. Come back when he's cut that in half.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

5-0 and dude....I understand and do not disagree in principal, but if the man stays healthy...he has to get the vote for all the reasons that Dan posted above.

Plus he is a local fella and I know his family.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

He had Pro Bowlers littered up and down that line. Nate, Step, Gogan, Ron Stone, Williams, Tui, Allen. It's ridiculous how stacked that line was.

You don't need HOFers to make the greatest line ever. It was definitely the best line of the modern Super Bowl era.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some data that compare Emmitt and LT at comparable times in their careers. Note that LT still has 6 more games to play this season:

Emmitt (1990-1995; 93 games)
Att: 2007 Yards: 8956 Y/A: 4.46 TD: 96 Rec: 301 Yards: 1951 Y/R: 6.48 TD:4

LT (2001-2006: 89 games)
Att: 1913 Yards: 8952 Y/A: 4.4 TD: 91 Rec: 389 Yards: 2843 Y/R: 7.3 TD: 11

LT is on pace to match or exceed Emmitt's regular season records if he stays healthy (pretty much what most of you are saying). However, as Ape suggested LT has no Super Bowl rings. Also Emmitt has a variety of postseason records that will be difficult for LT to match.

I don't know if any of you watched the Chargers vs Broncos game last night. It was amazing to watch LT at the end of the game. Everyone in the stadium (and watching at home) including the Broncos defense knew he was going to carry the ball, but they just could not stop him. Even when they put a good hit on him, LT was able to break free and keep moving forward. Awesome. LT has a long way to go yet, but he sure is fun to watch.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

He's definetly the best back in the NFL this year, and if he continues this and stays healthy he could easily be in the conversation of best RB of all time.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #23
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

I went to SMU and don't particularly care for TCU athletics.

That said, LT is a badass. He's the best running back I've ever watched play. Of the RBs that I'm old enough to have watched in the NFL, he only compares to Sanders, IMO.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that helps Emmitt's case is that he was doing what he did against a dominant NFC East competition whereas LT is doing the majority of his damage versus a weak AFC West.

And when it comes to talking about Emmitt's offensive line...just remember that many of those guys were considered mediocre until Emmitt came along.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

good stats purple frog. thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
I don't know if any of you watched the Chargers vs Broncos game last night. It was amazing to watch LT at the end of the game. Everyone in the stadium (and watching at home) including the Broncos defense knew he was going to carry the ball, but they just could not stop him. Even when they put a good hit on him, LT was able to break free and keep moving forward. Awesome. LT has a long way to go yet, but he sure is fun to watch.
That is awesome...And it happened almost every week with emmit.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #27
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
That is awesome...And it happened almost every week with emmit.
No doubt about that!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

The one thing I dont get is why Emmitt never gets credit for winning. Every other position in every other sport comes down to winning. Dirk has put up numbers fairly comparable to larry bird but hes ranked a good bit lower because he doesnt have a ring. Mannings numbers dwarf bradys but brady is considered to be on the same level. Emmit has better numbers than anyone and 3 rings but we consistently here guy with lesser numbers and less rings ranked above him which makes no sense to me...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

On the Emmitt vs Barry debate, Emmitt was Duncan to Barrys KG. We all know who is better out of TD and KG...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #30
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

#1- Is there any doubt about it? No one else is in the league can even carry his jockstrap.
#2- With much due respect to Emmit, Barry, and Jim Brown I have to say that if LT keeps this up for another 3 or 4 seasons there is no question that he is the best ever.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #31
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
On the Emmitt vs Barry debate, Emmitt was Duncan to Barrys KG. We all know who is better out of TD and KG...
It's a little different since football is much more of a team sport than basketball. IMO you can't compare the two. If Barry had Troy and Micheal with the line and defense that Emmit had that could have changed a lot of things.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
It's a little different since football is much more of a team sport than basketball. IMO you can't compare the two. If Barry had Troy and Micheal with the line and defense that Emmit had that could have changed a lot of things.
Yeah but you can make the same argument in every sport.... IF Dirk had Mchale and Parrish, IF Manning had Belicheck and so on and so forth. Emmitt deserves more than a little credit and he played a style that is more condusive to championships than Barry imo. Homerun threats are great but a guy who can get you the tough yards is much more valuable...
Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 AM   #33
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

The 'greatest?' Not yet

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
December 15, 2006

Let's start this by saying that San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson is a truly great player. He is the clear choice for Most Valuable Player and the 30-something touchdowns he's likely going to finish with are simply remarkable.

But to all those people, including San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer, who call Tomlinson the best ever, let's just wait a second. Tomlinson is a splendid player who has just about every skill you could imagine, including the ability to throw passes when necessary.

Tomlinson has a great chance to set all sorts of records if he stays healthy. But in terms of singular greatness, he still hasn't surpassed the work of Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Brown, who was ahead of his time, was an amazing combination of size, speed and power.

Payton had every move that Tomlinson possesses and performed at that level for a longer period of time. The same goes for Sanders, although there's a good argument to be made that Tomlinson is a better power runner than Sanders.

This is not to say that Tomlinson won't get there, but to anoint him now because he happens to have broken the NFL's touchdown record in only 13 games and has had a very impressive six-year start to his career is getting ahead of the issue. While clusters of folk (media, fans or even coaches) seemingly don't have the patience to wait, the coronation of Tomlinson still has to play out.

It also requires a little examination. Take the touchdown record, for example. What Tomlinson has done is an impressive feat. He has a record 29 in 13 games and could put the mark well out of sight. At least for awhile. But the touchdown record in football has become like the home run numbers in baseball from the late 1980s to now. In short, the numbers have exploded since the beginning of 2000. Over the past seven seasons, the touchdown record has been broken four times. That began with Marshall Faulk scoring 26 in 2000. Priest Holmes had 27 in 2003. Last year, Shaun Alexander had 28 with Seattle.

Beyond that, the 20-touchdown season is becoming a yearly standard. There have been at least nine times in which a running back has scored 20 touchdowns or more in the past seven years. By comparison, there were only 12 such seasons over the first 68 years that the NFL kept records.

A major reason for the recent explosion is the changes to the game, in particular the advent of wide-open offenses. A quick look at the four backs that have set the record over the past seven years is a good explanation. Faulk, Holmes, Alexander and Tomlinson are more slasher-type runners than power backs.

The reason that works well is that in today's game, the field is more spread out with three- and four-receiver sets. In fact, Faulk customarily lined up in the slot with the Rams and Alexander is the only one in the quartet who hasn't had a 70-catch season. With so many receivers on the field, holes are created in the defense.

Another factor is the decline in tackling skills of defensive players. With more coaches doing whatever they can to preserve their players in practice, defensive players simply don't get the work at hitting and tackling that they need to be sharp. That's particularly the case in working against the running game, leading to increased success for backs.

Especially for ones as talented as Tomlinson.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #34
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
The 'greatest?' Not yet

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
December 15, 2006

Tomlinson has a great chance to set all sorts of records if he stays healthy. But in terms of singular greatness, he still hasn't surpassed the work of Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Brown, who was ahead of his time, was an amazing combination of size, speed and power.
Interesting to not mention Emmitt...

on a side note, LT certainly is awesome to play with on Madden!
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM   #35
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, LT is setting more records -

Quote:
The longest run of Tomlinson's career:

-- Gave him 186 points, extending the single-season record he set in the first quarter. With a 15-yard TD run on San Diego's opening drive, Tomlinson broke Paul Hornung's 46-year-old NFL season record of 176, set with the Green Bay Packers in 1960. Hornung was a kicker as well as a halfback for Green Bay.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_y...217024&prov=ap

I'm going to start calling him "Bird Flu" cause that dude is sick.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
Interesting to not mention Emmitt...
If by interesting you mean incredibly stupid you are correct.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #37
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

is it just me or does LT seem to be getting faster each season? he pulled away from a lot of people last night and i dont remember him doing that at TCU
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #38
purplefrog
Platinum Member

His speed will surprise you. When LT played at TCU the observation was made that no one ever caught him from behind. Not sure if it that's true. But at any rate that 85 yard run last night was pretty amazing.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM   #39
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I'm pretty sure he had sub 4.5 speed at the Draft combine.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

correct me if im wrong but wasnt the linebacker he ran away from DJ from UT? If so that is pretty darn impressive.