Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need wedding advice: Married people click here

I need some advice.

My blushing, lunatic, raging mad, beautiful bride and I are getting married on Feb 17th. And the list of things to do is growing very short....

Please post little things that came up at the last minute for you guys, what went wrong? what would you have done differently? I'm talking preparation, logistics, etc....

(and yes I know it's gay to ask a group of prodominantly men this question....)
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Bob and Dan....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

get the best photographer you can afford...when all is said and done...the video and pictures is what'll you have....that and way too many toasters

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

I know this sounds a little silly....but do all you can to make sure that she enjoys the day...don't let all the crazy prep work get to her and wear her down...do whatever you can to make sure its the greatest day of her life.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys want to have kids right off(which I highly recommend).... forget the condoms.

Seriously though..... my wife, God bless her, was very into the preparations. The only "problems" we had were unavoidable (the lushes at the reception killed 2 kegs in a little over an hour so we had to send out someone to go get more) and one was my fault (didn't get Groomsmen/Best man gifts - but once that was discovered my wife had a quick answer for that as well).

So order gifts for your Groomsmen and order more Beer.

Is that helpfull?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Congratulations!!!! Give your Fiancé my condolences.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I interviewed something like 4 or 5 photographers. It's amazing that some people call themselves professional photographers, when their pictures look like crap, and their house is a mess, etc, etc...

We ended up with a guy we like really well. She did her bridal portraits already and I guess she's seen some of them, and she's happy (she won't let me see them)
Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Also, Congratulations!!!! Give your Fiancé my condolences.
lol. thanks.

she's been really good so far with the planning....we got engaged last xmas, so I figured 14 months would be enough time to set all this stuff in order, but something new comes up all the time.

What did you get your groomsmen (if you dont mind sharing)?

I'm still having a hard time with that. I only have 2, and we're all pretty fresh out of college (last year or year before), and I don't like any of the traditional "groomsmen" gifts they suggest in books, like watches and flasks and money clips....
Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I interviewed something like 4 or 5 photographers. It's amazing that some people call themselves professional photographers, when their pictures look like crap, and their house is a mess, etc, etc...

We ended up with a guy we like really well. She did her bridal portraits already and I guess she's seen some of them, and she's happy (she won't let me see them)
its super important...sounds like you did well here, sport, champ, tiger.

oh...and this might sound silly, but if you have a couple lbs to lose...do it. it'll show in the pics...

Last edited by sike; 12-06-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I don't like any of the traditional "groomsmen" gifts they suggest in books, like watches and flasks and money clips....
man, I just ignore all the suggestions and give your boys something that you know they'd like.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

a really expensive bottle of tequila it is then

Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think groomsmen's gifts are an utter waste of time. Pay for some or all of the guys' tux rentals if you want to do something nice for them.

Adult men buying other adult men "party favors?" - Gay.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
I personally think groomsmen's gifts are an utter waste of time. Pay for some or all of the guys' tux rentals if you want to do something nice for them.

Adult men buying other adult men "party favors?" - Gay.
Yeah...I was thinking Mavs tickets. Would that be gay?

Im already paying for the damned tuxs....
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

tickets are never the wrong way to go...

Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
get the best photographer you can afford...when all is said and done...the video and pictures is what'll you have....that and way too many toasters
This is actually some pretty good advice which is shocking since it came from sike.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I know this sounds a little silly....but do all you can to make sure that she enjoys the day...don't let all the crazy prep work get to her and wear her down...do whatever you can to make sure its the greatest day of her life.
ok. Who are you and what have you done with sike?

Another piece of good advice.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good man. I don't see why you have to get them anything. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Groomsmen's gifts are a result of women projecting their friend-values onto guys. Women love to get each other stuff. We don't want to get each other stuff.

Some of my buddies and I were discussing this while eating out the other night. Does any group of guys ever NOT split the check?

If we didn't split the check, we'd all keep running tabs of who owed whom $13 for the next six months.

Last edited by Rhylan; 12-06-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

oh and run like there is no tomorrow.

Run far far away and when you collapse...get up and run some more.

If she finds you after that you will have to marry her.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
oh and run like there is no tomorrow.

Run far far away and when you collapse...get up and run some more.

If she finds you after that you will have to marry her.
I tried for 5 years doc.

I'm tired...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I got my groomsmen glass Stein's that were personalized with their name, event name (the wedding, of course), their function in it and the date.

They all thought it was cool.

And a Beer drinking device? Not Gay.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I tried for 5 years doc.

I'm tired...
high school sweet heart?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
high school sweet heart?
almost.... different high school, same church. more like college freshman sweethearts

and you made me use the word "sweetheart"

you must die
Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

haha, you must die...haahahha
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #24
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Don't get in a fight with your new mother-in-law.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #25
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
So no one has any funny "all this sh%t went wrong on my wedding day" stories?
I think this is the appropriate place for this question......

idiot.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
idiot.
I've been called worse....today....before 8am actually.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Congratulations to you, first and foremost.

Make sure you find some reliable friends/relatives to do stuff like ushering, setting up the PA system, emcee-ing etc. These need to be planned early. Go through the things that they're suppose to bring to the reception with them (equipment, seating charts etc) and DO NOT assume that things will handle themselves or you'll end up with a lot of last minute scrambling on the day of the wedding.

If you're going to have a best man, make sure you find somebody will help remind you about things that you need to do/bring to the wedding. Believe it or not, things like rings and bouquets get left behind when you have a million things going on in your mind that day.

Put a map in your invitations if the destinations are somewhat tricky to find. You don't want a million people calling your cell phone asking for directions to the church or restaurant.

Prepare a list of things to do and review it often and early to make sure that things are taken care of accordingly.

Last but not least, enjoy this experience and don't get too stressed out!
TripleDipping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

horrible advice, TD.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #29
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
horrible advice, TD.
Err... OK then.

Show up at the church sh*t faced, flirt with the bride's maids, drink the champagne off the bottle, tell your mother in law how you like that wig she's rocking during the reception toast, and interrupt the reception dance occasionally to update your guests about the Mavs game score.

Yeah, that covers it all.
TripleDipping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

now you're talking!

who would forget that day?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #31
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
I got my groomsmen glass Stein's that were personalized with their name, event name (the wedding, of course), their function in it and the date.

They all thought it was cool.

And a Beer drinking device? Not Gay.
Drinking beer out of something that has "Valerie and Rick's Wedding, June 7, 2000, Groomsman #3" printed on it? Gay.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #32
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Drinking beer out of something that has "Valerie and Rick's Wedding, June 7, 2000, Groomsman #3" printed on it? Gay.
Not if you cared about the people that were getting married. If you don't, then sure. But I was pretty tight with the guys that helped me and I did it because I wanted to. So call me Gay, I guess. But I'd do it again.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-06-2006 at 03:34 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #33
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
Err... OK then.

Show up at the church sh*t faced, flirt with the bride's maids, drink the champagne off the bottle, tell your mother in law how you like that wig she's rocking during the reception toast, and interrupt the reception dance occasionally to update your guests about the Mavs game score.

Yeah, that covers it all.
Filed for future reference.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #34
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I will start by telling my very own 'holy shit, i can't believe that happened story'. This is the advice I have for you in order to prevent what I am about to share.... Make sure that if you have caterers for your reception that they don't light any candles BEFORE the reception starts. Our genius caterers decided to light the candles during our ceremony. We had an outside wedding, but our reception was underneath a pavilion, up the hill, behind the ceremony. Well, guess what? Our freaking cake caught on fire! The best part about it was the wedding party watched the cake go up in flames while my wife and I (our backs turned toward the front) went on with our vowels. Well, the cake was on pedestals and that melted, which was why the flames were so high. Anyway, that is my OH MY! moment.

I agree with Sike on the video/pictures. Spend the money to get it done right. I am almost positive the guy we hired showed up high as shit. He almost fell asleep leaning against the wall. I had to go over and tell him, "would you mind taking some pictures?"

Get the groomsmen bottles of Crown or something... It doesn't have to be a money clip or a pen. Yes, that is gay!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #35
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Decide that nothing else really matters as long as you, your bride and the minister end up in the same place at the same time. This will help you laugh when the wrong, hideous flowers arrive. It will also help you not hyperventilate when the photographers are late.

On that note: Make sure that your minister has someone to step in for him if he ends up hospitalized, too sick to stand, or whatever. Our priest was transferred the week before our wedding. At first, he was still going to come back and do our wedding, then he found out he "had" to fill in for the priest he was replacing in Arlington!!

Luckily, we had another priest at our church who wasn't booked and stepped in to save the day, but we still got a good laugh when he thought my groom was "the father of the bride". LOL

If your bride decides to twirl in her dress on the grass, run out to join her. She'll lose her balance, and you can save her from falling down and getting grass stains on her dress.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #36
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Speaking of "blushing, lunatic, raging mad, beautiful bride":

Don't let anyone push your bride to invite more or less people than she wishes. This item alone nearly prompted me to call of the wedding and just elope. Truthfully, that's what i wanted to do anyway.

If your bride stays at a resort hotel in hopes of having more restful nights/naps than she'd get at home: Make sure it's not Texas/OU weekend when fans will be raising he!! all night. I realy wasn't mad until the afternoon before the wedding. I called the front desk 4 times to have housekeeping quiet down (since a nap can solve a bad night's sleep). By the 3rd call I was every bit the sobbing and confrontational bride! :|

Last edited by Smiles; 12-06-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Thanks for all the good info people, keep it coming.

We're pretty much set on almost everything. We're down to the nitty gritty now....reception favors and whatnot. We're making CDs with music from the wedding and songs we like and yadda yadda.....blah blah.

The guest list was pretty easy actually, Smiles. We have no shame in not inviting some people, and have pretty much had the "this is our wedding, we don't care about what other people think" attitude. And our parents have been so cool in not trying to control anything.

Nemesis: Holy shit dude, your cake caught on fire? see that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Our reception is inside at a golf country club though....so hopefully no fires inside!

TD: I photoshopped the map myself, and the invitations went out this weekend. But I like your other advice better....one problem...the Bridesmaids are her sister, and my sister. So...no dice there.

thanks everybody
keep it coming

and don't listen to sike
Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #38
sike
The Preacha

I hate you all......except smiles...her I like a lot.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #39
Smiles
Diamond Member

Thank you sike. I don't blame you for hating "them".

The burning cake story was hilarious! I'd have loved that!

Around the time my reception was ending (4 or 5pm), we'd told the coordinator they cuold start setting up for the next reception. slipped away for a minute, and on my way back, I saw the remander of my cake in boxes sitting on a cart in the hallway. A dozen of the chocolate covered strawberries were all sitting there on a platter, and I thought "What a shame for these to go to waste. I think I'll finish them off!"

Right as I bent over to take a bite, I noticed one of the cake boxes was partially open... and the big layer wasn't cut into... and it wasn't my cake.

I almost ate another brides cake decoration! Can you imagine if someone had walked in and a bride scarfing ALL of another brides decor?! I nearly died! I ran out of there, but have laughed about it a lot since then.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #40
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely good advice from everyone.

I agree on groomsman's gifts. Don't just get an "acceptable" gift. Get something that represents you and them.

I've played basketball all my life. And my best man (brother) and groomsmen (college roommates) know that and have played pickup with me on many an occasion. So in the weeks leading up to the wedding, I asked them what their favorite color was (guys don't know that about their friends offhand). I got them each a nike sports bag in that color, a basketball (not a cheap outdoor one), and a handheld air pump. They thought it was awesome.

On to actual advice for the big day. I don't know your budget, but hiring a wedding coordinator was the smartest thing we ever did. Took so much pressure off of us the day of the wedding. We had ours during the planning stages as well(to suggest photographers, florists, etc.), but you can hire them just for the day of. One of our friends did that, and she says it was the smartest thing she did. She planned everything herself, but the coordinator took care of everything the day of, so she didn't have to worry and be distracted.

Also, make sure your photographer knows the logistics of the day. Where people will be, what you want pictures of. Our photographer was awesome, but we forgot to tell her one thing. We got married at a hotel in Nashville that is an old rail station (Union Station). It has a HUGE lobby. When my wife came out, she was escorted by her dad along a balcony on the third floor, with everyone standing and looking up at her. Not to sound gay, but it was breathtaking. There was definitely some dust in my eye then. Anyway, stupid us forgot to tell the photographer she would be doing that. Lucky we got it on our DVD. But no official photo of it.