Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Howard's stock soared since days as overlooked rookie

STAR ON THE RISE

Howard's stock soared since days as overlooked rookie

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS — Josh Howard has experienced quite a bit in a career not even four years old. ■ He watched almost an entire first round of the NBA Draft go by despite an All-American career that included ACC Player of the Year honors. ■ He sat as a rookie, only to have his playing time increase as the season went on. He became a starter the following year and went through a coaching change. ■ He's seen large chunks of his season wiped out by injury. He's seen good friends (one who would become a two-time MVP) move on to other teams. ■ He tasted disappointment in the first round, second round and the NBA Finals. He's made mistakes on the ultimate stage that he doesn't forget. ■ He's been rewarded financially, becoming the most valuable Maverick this side of Dirk Nowitzki.

Today, he'll be a part of something new. When he steps into the Thomas & Mack Center locker room, he'll be an All-Star.

"It's been a long road for me to be able to grow these last four years and make it to this level," he said.

The All-Star moniker carries extra responsibility. Howard admits it's one accepted by "big-game guys." It also changes the way those who put on their first All-Star uniform view themselves.

Doug Collins remembers walking into the Spectrum locker room as a first-time All-Star in 1976. Drafted three years earlier by the Philadelphia 76ers, Collins looked around at all those players he emulated, and it clicked.

"I had a feeling all of a sudden that I belonged," said Collins, currently a TNT analyst. "I'm with this group. I've made the All-Star team, and now I feel I can look at these guys eye to eye and feel that I'm a part of this.

"There is something that goes through you as a player, a jolt of confidence."

The Mavs would have had a hard time convincing anyone that Howard was All-Star material after he slipped to the 29th pick in 2003.

Though he enjoyed a stellar career at Wake Forest, Howard wasn't on the radar in a talent-rich draft that featured LeBron James, Darko Milicic, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade at the top.

All but Milicic are in Vegas today.

"We've arrived big-time," Wade said of the Class of '03.

Howard included.

"He was overlooked in the draft," said Mavs teammate Jerry Stackhouse, a former two-time All-Star. "There were a lot of players that went ahead of him. This is a testament of his work. He wasn't an All-Star player when he came into this league."

Howard became one by constantly adding to his game. He got on the floor during his rookie season under former coach Don Nelson with ball-hawking defense and a willingness to throw his body around.

His offensive talents began to unfold in the years to come. Primarily a slasher and finisher at first, Howard's confidence in his jumper has taken him past the 3-point line.

Far from a finished product, Howard has progressed to a point where opponents need to scheme for him at both ends. He's versatile enough to guard anyone from Steve Nash to Kevin Garnett and explosive enough to score 30.

"He was deserving to be on the team without being a replacement," Nash said. "It's a tremendous tribute to how hard he worked and what a great player he's become. He's a great competitor who plays hard all the time. He's a deserving All-Star."

Nowitzki hadn't played with a fellow All-Star since Nash left.

"The way he's developed himself," Nowitzki said, "I knew we had another [All-Star] sidekick."

Though the initial "snub" of not being named a reserve by West coaches stung, Howard is used to being passed over. It's the reason he can't seem to get that chip off his shoulder.

"He has that burning desire to be good," Stackhouse said. "It's just a passion. I think it comes from his upbringing, his grandmother and what they instilled in him to work hard.

"Coming from North Carolina, everything that I've seen, he's seen. Nobody is going to give it to you. He understands that and accepts it."

While it might be easy to focus on the negative, Howard is proud of being named an injury replacement by commissioner David Stern.

He's an All-Star now — and wants to remain one.

"I'm always looking to improve," Howard said. "Every year I'm trying to get better at some aspect of my game, so this is going to help me concentrate even harder."

So what will happen when he steps inside the locker room today with Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Garnett and the others he once watched on TV from Winston-Salem?

"We all know Josh is a very confident man himself," Nowitzki said. "I don't know how he's going to react. I'm just going to tell him to have some fun, enjoy the company and the whole weekend."

Howard is ready for it.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
RizAmlani

RizAmlani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"I'm always looking to improve," Howard said. "Every year I'm trying to get better at some aspect of my game, so this is going to help me concentrate even harder."
Its good to see Josh is still working harder and harder. I want to see him get better with his decision making and mind. I think that he has worked on his physical tools and just needs to become a smarter basketball player.

Interviewer: Was it a little ridiculous how Dwyane Wade got all the calls?

TMac: Yeah, yeah it really was. I'll tell you man, it seems if you were watching that game, seemed like it was rigged. Seriously. I know the NBA.... (cut off by interviewer)
RizAmlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Josh is used to being passed over, that's why I know he will continue to become great. And one day, he will give all those who snubbed him or overlooked him something to terribly regret for doing such.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 02-19-2007 at 11:06 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Josh is used to being passed over, that's why I know he will continue to become great. And one day, he will give all those who snubbed him or overlooked him something to terribly regret for doing such.
most of them already do q=))
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
most of them already do q=))

Im not looking for most, I want all! Haha

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote