Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all
Default James Jones To Portland

I read this and then i found out who i think the player will be.... It will be announced in July...

-----------------------------

Kevin Pritchard told the Portland media last night that the team has essentially completed another trade that can not be announced owing to league restrictions.

"I'm probably getting fined already," he says, in press conference audio on Oregonlive.

For Portland, Pritchard says the move will bring a small forward.

Pritchard's "cap expert," assistant GM Tom Penn, adds that "we have to formally complete the New York trade before we can finish another trade that we hope will happen." Penn estimates that will take a week to ten days for all this to be announced.

Later in the same press conference, someone asks about the teams's decision to draft Rudy Fernandez, and Pritchard says "that's part of the thing I'm not supposed to talk about, so I apologize for maybe letting it out a little bit."

I'm no expert on the collective bargaining agreement, but I'm guessing that this means something has to happen with Channing Frye (moving on?) or Steve Francis (being bought out?) before Rudy Fernandez can be shipped (with Frye, Pryzbilla, Jack, Koponen ... who knows?) somewhere for a small forward.

----------------------------------------------

All i can say is Portland is really trying and they are a darn good young team. They have really shook things up. I know James Jones is not real major but what does Phx have up their sleave in July? Are they going after Yi? They do not have a pg for Milwaukee or maybe some of these guys that Portland traded for, one is comming to Phx.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, there was one other move you didn't hear about, and it won't be made official for about a week. The Blazers, in conjunction with the trade to New York, used a trade exception to purchase the Fernandez pick (which you did hear about) and will also acquire Phoenix's James Jones. Jones is a good outside shooter and was very solid with the Suns the past couple of seasons.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Portland/Phx

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92451

-------------------------------------------------------

This is rumor i am posting next and people talking....

The Jones trade is known--and there's no reason, other than a physical, that it has to wait for July 11. The speculation is there is another trade in the works, involving someone that the Blazers acquired on draft day (rumors include Fernandez, Frye, and Francis). One rumor is what's discussing here--Francis plus a boatload of cheap prospects (Portland has many guys on rookie scale who are decent enough), possibly a future pick, and possibly the rights to Rudy F--for Marion. Works under the cap, at least if not too much lard is piled on; Phoenix might get to unload someone else as well in return.

Another rumor is that Rudy F and various other assorted role players go to Houston for Shane Battier. Less of a nice deal (for Portland) than taking advantage of $arver's frugality, but Battier's better than any current 3 on the roster. In this scenario, Portland keeps Francis and possibly buys him out ourselves.

But the James Jones deal is separate from what's cookin. At least I hope so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is a third PHX trade in the works (1. Fernandez and 2. Jones) you have to think PHX would force PDX to take Marcus Banks in any Marion deal - there's no other reason for them to do it other than to avoid the luxury tax which, if this comment chain is any indication, the PHX fans won't particularly appreciate. I can't see PDX eating Banks' contract for the next 4 years just to get a guy in Marion who will be past his prime by the time the Baby Zers are in the title hunt
-----------------------------------------------------

Buyouts count against the cap as the value of the buyout, divided by the length of the contract. Franchise has $33 million left over 2 years. If the buyout splits the difference--say $17 million--then the team that exercises the buyout (Portland or Phoenix) has $8.5 million against the cap for 07-08 and an equal value for 08-09. Which is a lot better than the cap charge if Francis is kept or waived (then the full value of the contract is on the books).
-------------------------------------
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote