Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute
Default DeSagana Diop Interview Transcript

Do you feel you fully transitioned into being a Net?
Yeah I feel comfortable here. Being here, being with coach, real cool, teammates are cool. I feel pretty good being here.

What are your plans for this summer?
I’m going back to Dallas for maybe a month; I have my house, I have to check on my house. Then come back here to Cherry Hill, start working out in maybe three weeks to a month and and try to get back in playing shape and get ready for next year.

Where do you think you will be next year?
I mean: I’m a free agent; I’m going to see my options, see what I have out there. Maybe come back here or go back to Dallas. I’m just going to do what is best for me and my family.

Would being a Net be best for you?
I love it here. I love the guys, I love the team. I think we could have made the playoffs but we were in a tough position with a trade in the middle of the year and having to make a run. We didn’t really gel together like that but I could see myself coming back here next year.

How do you feel you did with the Nets?
I did alright. I played good defense…I just have to keep working and I think if I come back here I will have a better role than I did coming here midseason.

What advice would you give your teammates?
You have to work hard in the summer, man. It’s not fun: I’ve been in the playoffs the last four years, went to the Finals two years ago. There’s not a better feeling than that. We just have to keep working to try to make it next year.

Can you take any positives from a season like this one?
“The good thing that you can look at not making the playoffs is that you have a longer vacation and you can work on your game harder and try to get better -- more than the people who went to the playoffs. Take a couple of weeks off – maybe two or three weeks – then start working out and trying to get better; that’s a positive thing.”

Since that summer where you completely changed your body – and lost like 40 pounds – have you worked that hard every summer?
“I felt like since that summer that I did not work that hard but that summer we didn’t make the playoffs too. I had a lot of time. But this summer I’m going to dedicate myself and I’m going hard to the gym every day to try to get better.”

Is Diop talking about coming back to Big D!?

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think Diop coming back here depends on how much his agent is going to try a jack up his price. If he costs the whole midlevel, forget it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Is he over 30? We don't take anyone under 30.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very encouraging comment. I hope we re-acquire Diop.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Do we have the LLE, or did using it on Eddie Jones last year preclude our use of it this year?

I would love to get Diop back, but don't want to dip into the MLE. I don't think he'll command to much, as his numbers in Jersey were pretty mediocre.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Man I missed Diop. I sure hope we can bring him back.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Do we have the LLE, or did using it on Eddie Jones last year preclude our use of it this year?

I would love to get Diop back, but don't want to dip into the MLE. I don't think he'll command to much, as his numbers in Jersey were pretty mediocre.
I'm pretty sure we used it on EJones.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a comforting/positive sign that he mentioned Dallas. I think he likes the players, team, organization, he just wasn't very fond of the coach.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Sign him and then trade him back to the Nets just for fun.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Sign him and then trade him back to the Nets just for fun.
You have a nasty, twisted mind. I admire that.

But as long as you don't trade Diop back to Senegal, I think he'll be happy.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

This guy d'ed up Tim Duncan in the 06 playoffs with a broken nose. Bring him back.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
If he costs the whole midlevel, forget it.
I agree, we have bigger holes to fill with the MLE. If he costs the whole thing, it's not worth it unless...we trade to fill those holes, that is the perfect situation. You trade to get your Redd/Maggette/Miller/Marion of the world and you've made big additions. Then you still have your MLE to work on creating more reliable depth. To me, it's not a great sign if you're counting on the MLE to make a huge impact to your starting line-up, too risky.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

I'd love to have Diop back. I hope he decides to return.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see him back but you have to wonder at what cost?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

anything under 3 million a year is worth it

(he got paid 2.1 this year)

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

Half of the MLE is about all I'd be willing do, which is roughly 2.5...maybe?
The numbers don't suggest he should be getting THAT big of an increase unless someone is terribly desperate for him.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

MLE is $5.4 million roughly, I think.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
MLE is $5.4 million roughly, I think.
Yeah, that's along my 2.5 ballpark for Diop.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Diop broke out here though and maybe he was gonna come back all along. If he takes a pay cut, I'd love to have him back.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

I think they should be able to get him at a reasonable price, under $3 mil easy. Especially since it sounds like he wants to come back here. He might take a little less to come back to Dallas.

The Mavs really need him. Dampier is only half a center. They need Diop playing backup if Damp is going to be their starting center. Bass is a F or a PF, not a C.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #21
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend
I think they should be able to get him at a reasonable price, under $3 mil easy. Especially since it sounds like he wants to come back here. He might take a little less to come back to Dallas.

The Mavs really need him. Dampier is only half a center. They need Diop playing backup if Damp is going to be their starting center. Bass is a F or a PF, not a C.
Getting him back for under $3 mil definitely helps out our bench depth. We can go back to our big lineup as the norm. I have always been a proponent of not playing dirk and bass as the two bigs, not enough defense.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

Checked out NJs RealGM board to get a feel for what they think. They had a thread talking about their bigs and the idea for the offseason, Diop doesn't look to be in their plans at all. They have the same idea that's being floated around in terms of market value. They just don't think he's a fit there and that he wants to be there.

2 years, maybe 3 with it being an option at 2-3 mil/per
That's probably going to get it done.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs do get Diop back, that will make us one of the most versatile defensive teams in the league. With Kidd on the team, the Mavs can really take advantage of switching on pick and rolls because more often than not, Kidd is big enough to guard the guy he's switched onto. Throw a phenomenal shotblocker with quick like Diop into the mix and you've got quite a defense.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-07-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #24
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Damn I miss Diop, hope he comes back home
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the LLE? He's making 2.1M now.

Good grief ager is still owed 1.0M next year. Hassell is owed 4.3 million for two more years.

Mavs at least didn't get back extra bad salaries. Kidd has one more but malik and wright are gone this year.

Ugh..Juwan Howard and Greg Buckner will be costing Minnie almost 11million next year. Ouch.. Not to mention mr. shimmy for 9.3M. double ouch.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-07-2008 at 11:23 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
So what is the LLE? He's making 2.1M now.

Good grief ager is still owed 1.0M next year. Hassell is owed 4.3 million for two more years.

Mavs at least didn't get back extra bad salaries. Kidd has one more but malik and wright are gone this year.

Ugh..Juwan Howard and Greg Buckner will be costing Minnie almost 11million next year. Ouch.. Not to mention mr. shimmy for 9.3M. double ouch.
I do hope we keep Wright.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #27
BGMaverick9
Guru

For Wright:
He should be back, the FWST mentioned that he talked with Donnie and they are planning on bringing him Back.

I don't think the LLE is available for us...?

I still think the perfect route is getting him and another guard for the bench, and use your trading chips to get you your new starters. That will be at least 3-4 (5 is pushing) new cogs to the line-up, 2-3 of them hopefully being big-time helpers.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #28
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the LLE/MLE was always available.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #29
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That franchise should just fold already.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #30
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
I thought the LLE/MLE was always available.
My understanding is that the MLE is available every year, while the LLE is available every other year.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #31
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i mean...he already has his crib here(dallas). He knows everybody. Just think if he comes back next year...that would be awesome. He was mainly the defensive presence we lacked this past year after the trade. please please please
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #32
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn if we get Diop durring the summer it would be like Harris, Hass, KVH, cash

for Kidd, Mags, Wright, Allen, new coach, impotent jHoward and older Dirk!

what a steal! And no Mo Ager too!

[/sarcasm]

Last edited by Windmill360; 05-08-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote