Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-10-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

My favorite athlete of all time has got to be Barry Sanders. The guy was GREAT! I could go on and on about his numerous accomplishments, but I won't. It does suck that he was that great and never won a super bowl and came so close to the all time rushing title but retired just short.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:18 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Hmmm, Good topic. I don't really have a all-time favorite athelete but I'd say Micheal Johnson(the sprinter) and Lance Armstrong would be at the top. Doesn't hurt that there both local guys either.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 11:30 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I'd go with Michael Jordan and Steve Young. Class acts on and off the field.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:35 PM   #4
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Jeff Huson-- if anyone knows who this is, i'll buy them a jolly rancher
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 11:37 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Is he a former Baseball player? For the Rangers. Name sounds familiar.

Old 04-11-2001, 12:03 AM   #6
turbo.mav

holy crap rob, you have earned my respect for like the next 2 months
Old 04-11-2001, 12:08 AM   #7
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

haha... lucky guess! Why do you like Jeff Huson so much anyways?
Old 04-11-2001, 12:14 AM   #8
turbo.mav

he is possibly the coolest person alive on earth... one time.. in a game.. He fouled off 3 pitches in a row RIGHT TO WHERE THE OTHER TEAMS MANAGER WAS SITTING IN THE DUGOUT... so then on the 4th pitch.. the manager moved to the toehr side of the dugout and jeff smashed a homer..

possibly the highlight of my pre-teen years.
i mean just look at this guy-- he knows where the partys are at.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:18 AM   #9
Hales233
Golden Member

YES!!! That guy is definitely a PARTY ANIMAL
Old 04-11-2001, 12:21 AM   #10
turbo.mav

oh you know it hales heheh
Old 04-11-2001, 11:01 AM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

One time.. in a game.. He fouled off 3 pitches in a row RIGHT TO WHERE THE OTHER TEAMS MANAGER WAS SITTING IN THE DUGOUT... so then on the 4th pitch.. the manager moved to the toehr side of the dugout and jeff smashed a homer.."

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . I remember that. It was pretty funny.

Old 04-11-2001, 03:17 PM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

When did this guy play? I'm a baseball fan, but I don't remember him.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:01 PM   #13
turbo.mav

he had a stint with the rangers back in 94
Old 04-11-2001, 06:21 PM   #14
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Anyone heard of Sir Donald Bradman, the greatest sportsman of all time?
Old 04-11-2001, 07:11 PM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

do tell, scooter
Old 04-11-2001, 07:53 PM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

He played cricket for Australia in the 1920's, and averaged 99.94 runs per game. He would have averaged 100 if he had only scored 1 in his ast game, but he got 0 (a 'duck')

Anyway, an average of 99 is double the next greatest player of all time. Most serious international players average 35-40. The greats 40-50. Bradman 99.

It's hard to find an equivalent, but in basketball it would be like averaging 60-70 points per game.

He was awesome.
Old 04-12-2001, 06:03 PM   #17
turbo.mav

wow, thats pretty amazing
Old 04-12-2001, 06:52 PM   #18
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Wow! That's pretty crazy, but how did you know that?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2001, 06:58 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Lambier, Mark Eaton, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Shawn Bradley...
Old 04-12-2001, 07:02 PM   #20
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I was approving until that last name. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just teasing, just because I hate him doesn't mean every one else has to.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:54 AM   #21
scooterj5
Golden Member

How did I know what?
Old 04-16-2001, 05:16 PM   #22
horserangler

horserangler is on a distinguished road

I would have to go with Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett and Randy White
horserangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 07:22 PM   #23
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

scooter...how did you know all that crap about cricket?
Old 04-20-2001, 11:15 PM   #24
scooterj5
Golden Member

Well I'm an Australian, it's one of major sports. We have AFL (like tougher gridian) and cricket (mo interesting version of baseball).
Old 04-20-2001, 11:17 PM   #25
scooterj5
Golden Member

You're all going to hate me now ahahaha.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:21 PM   #26
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Oh...I didn't know you were from Australia.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2001, 09:13 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

favorite athlete..
each sport
Dale Murphy
Troy Aikman
Andre Agassi
Dirk
Mike Modano
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 04:20 PM   #28
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Marino
Jordan
Reggie Miller
Shoeless Joe
Ty Cobb
Greg LeMond
Miguel Indurain (both cyclists)
Roger Bannister (4 minute Mile)
SPURRIER (come on, I'm at Florida. You know I have to include him)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

bump..interesting topic
Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo.mav View Post
Jeff Huson-- if anyone knows who this is, i'll buy them a jolly rancher
I'm still waiting on that Jolly Rancher. He was one of my favorite Rangers of his time.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #31
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hope more people would know who Jeff Huson is. I never liked him, though. I always thought he tried too hard to cover pop ups WAY out into left field.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #32
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Of all time, Steve Young.

Over the years, TO, Dirk and now Patrick Willis is on the up and up..

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default All-time:

4) Bill "the Great White Hate" Laimbeer

3) Emmitt "I don't take games off for a broken pinkie" Smith

2) Dirk "Underdog's man-crush" Nowitzki (that's my hand at the bottom of the pic!)

1) Jesse "Hitler can kiss the blackest part of my ass" Owens

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda like Dirk.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

dirk, lebron, jordan. i always liked aikman.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #36
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #37
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Peyton.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #38
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Barack Obama.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #39
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

It's gotta be Felix Carvajal.
1904 Olympic marathon. Some people say he might have won the race if he hadn't taken a detour through an orchard. The apples he stopped to eat gave him stomach cramps that sidelined him for several minutes. He got 4th.

Fred Lorz is a close 2nd
Same race, same year. Fred ran 9 miles, then got a lift from his manager the rest of the way. His ride dropped him off near the finish line and Fred walked in and broke the tape as winner. He 'fessed up when they were about to hand him the gold medal.

I think I read about them in a book when I was a kid. To this day Felix Carvajal (and Emil Zatopek) are images I carry around when I think of 'athlete.'

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 11-09-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #40
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Jim Thorpe
Arthur Ashe
Roger Staubach
Bob Lilly
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Duran
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote