Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk doesn't lead anymore

To go along with the other knucklehead title.... It really appears that Carlisle is so much smarter in listening to his team. Wonderful to see it.

Quote:
In tailspin, Dallas Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki was a sleepy, sore loser
By JEFF CAPLAN
jcaplan@star-telegram.com
Related Content
After pleas for changes in the offense, Dirk Nowitzki is averaging 27.8 points in the Mavs’ past nine games. Star-Telegram/Ron Jenkins

DALLAS — Dirk Nowitzki is sleeping a little better these days. At least the best he can.

"I don’t sleep well after games anyway, win or lose," Nowitzki said. "I always have stuff going through my mind, playing plays over, that’s how I’ve always been. After losses it’s usually worse. I’m not in a great mood when we lose."

No one was particularly upbeat during the Dallas Mavericks’ awful 2-7 start that consumed the first two spiraling weeks of a new season.

"I tried to stay positive and still have fun in the locker room with the guys, but you can sense that the atmosphere wasn’t the same," Nowitzki said. "The coaches were pretty much brand new and they were on edge more trying to find answers. We practiced longer. We watched longer films. That’s all a by-product of losing."

Eight wins in nine games later, coach Rick Carlisle limited two off-day workouts to weightlifting and film sessions after the Mavs began this seven-game homestand 2-0.

Nowitzki, 30, will take the extra rest with the improved Atlanta Hawks in town tonight. Over the past nine games, starting with the tide-turning overtime win at New York on Nov. 16 to Thursday’s wire-to-wire dusting of Phoenix, Nowitzki has averaged 38.1 minutes a game.

He’s averaged 27.8 points to lift his season average to 25.1, tied for fourth in the league with Kobe Bryant entering Friday’s games. He’s posted 11.9 rebounds, moving him to a tie for 13th in the league at 8.9.

Of the 7-footer’s seven double-doubles, six have come in the last nine games.

If the five-game losing streak, the longest in eight seasons, seemed like a two-month slog as Nowitzki says, his calling out his teammates in Los Angeles after losing to the Clippers on Nov. 9 almost seems like a different season.

"There’s no question that period was difficult for all of us, but I think particularly him," Carlisle said of his 11th-year power forward.

During the nine-game span that has dulled the thud of the 2-7 start, Nowitzki has displayed numerous double fist pumps and primal roars, his big-shot exclamations typically reserved for postseason pressure cookers.

"He hates to lose," point guard Jason Kidd said. "For him, he felt that maybe he wasn’t giving us enough points. I think it wasn’t so much the points. We just needed him to rebound maybe a little more. He felt as the leader of this team he had to do more, bring up every stat category a little bit more, and he did that."

During the rocky start, Nowitzki met several times with Carlisle behind closed doors to discuss the team’s direction, why players were uncomfortable with the offense and how to go about finding a more complementary mix.

"The last two weeks I like what we’re running," Nowitzki said. "We’re mixing it up with moving plays, pick-and-roll plays, simple stuff, and I just think we found a good mix with coach together."

The Mavs have increased their scoring to 100.2 a game, one of eight teams to average at least 100. Improvement has come at the other end, too. Dallas ranks third in field-goal percentage defense (42.6).

While this run of success has hardly been flawless, Nowitzki said it became possible through teamwork at a critical juncture when fracturing seemed not only possible, but also plausible.

"That was the major thing," Nowitzki said. "The players, one through 15, coaches, free-throw doc, whomever, I mean, if you’re losing, it’s all of us in it together."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

As I've always said, if I had ovaries, I'd have Dirk's babies.

Love the man.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
During the rocky start, Nowitzki met several times with Carlisle behind closed doors to discuss the team’s direction, why players were uncomfortable with the offense and how to go about finding a more complementary mix.

"The last two weeks I like what we’re running," Nowitzki said. "We’re mixing it up with moving plays, pick-and-roll plays, simple stuff, and I just think we found a good mix with coach together."
I love to read stuff like this. It says just as much about Carlisle as it does about Dirk. Towards the end Avery was clearly not willing to listen in meetings like this, and there's a bunch of coaches around the league you could say the same thing about (see Terry Porter).

It takes a confident coach to change the offensive plan so early in his first season, and I respect Carlisle for listening and being flexible, especially since flexibility has not been considered his strong suit so far in his coaching career.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I was a little worried when Dirk called everyone out at the Clips, and then had a horrible next game. But he has really turned this thing around, along with Terry and the rest of the bench setting the tone.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

That's what franchise players do. Duncan, Kobe, Dirk, Lebron.. is there any doubt that it's even more THEIR team than it is the coach's?

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly Dirk doesn't care anymore.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Clearly Dirk doesn't care anymore.
I see what you did there
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote