Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Encounter with Dirk (after the Indiana game)

Thought some of you guys might like to hear about this.

My friend's girlfriend, who's in the German club at a DFW-area university, got tickets to this little Q&A session with Dirk that took place after the Mavs-Pacers game. They invited me to go a few weeks ago, and even though I'm in the middle of a month-long push towards final exams, I obviously had to take them up on that offer.

Anyway, there were about 200-250 people at this little Q&A, mostly DFW area German students and their teachers. It was actually a really intimate environment, and people basically got to ask Dirk anything they wanted. Some of it was conducted in German, but some was in English. I've never taken German or anything, so I sort of just sat there and listened.

I just had a few things I wanted to mention about this whole ordeal. First, I think everybody here knows this, but Dirk is just an absolutely hilarious dude. He's got this real dry sarcasm thing going on, but he does it with a lot of energy and enthusiasm, so he doesn't sound like a bitter old man or anything.

Second, Mavericks fans, especially younger kids, are really lucky to have such a good role model representing the team. Dirk came off as such a great guy during this little Q&A. The thing went about an hour longer than it was supposed to because Dirk kept insisting that people could ask as many questions as they had. The admin staff running the event kept saying "Ok, last question..." but Dirk repeatedly told them that he'd take as many questions as he needed to. The thing ended up lasting until about 12:00am because he really just wanted to give everybody a chance to talk to him.

Now that I've spoken sufficiently in generalities, here's a few of the more memorable moments from this session--

1) At one point, a younger girl (probably a freshman in HS) began her question to him with "Oh my God, I love you!" Without missing a beat, Dirk's response was, "I love you too!"

2) Dirk told us about playing a game of horse with Justin Timberlake, and someone asked him "Who won?" Dirk's face lit up, and he goes (jokingly), "I did. That question is disrespect."

3) Dirk said the best game he's ever played in was probably Game 7 in SA. That got a nice cheer from the crowd.

4) A kid asked him who were some of his favorite teammates. Dirk said there were way too many to list, but he listed 3 (in this order): 1) Nash, 2) Finley, 3) Terry .

5) They had us fill out some cards with our names/addresses/etc., then Dirk pulled a few out of a box and those people won autographed posters. The first card Dirk pulls out, he says the kid's name and hometown, then starts reading his cell phone number. He stops about halfway through and says "just kidding."

6) When that first kid came up to get his autographed poster, Dirk handed it to him and said, "Make sure you frame that."

7) Dirk said he's dating someone, and he's living with her. This is the first time he's ever lived with a girlfriend. This was actually a sort of interesting moment, because there were two really old ladies in front of me who apparently didnt like that he said that. One of them turned to the other and said (with a scowl), "They should be married."

8) During another part of the raffle, Dirk pulled one of the cards out of the box and said "So and so, from Lantana, TX." Then he paused for a second and said, "Lantana--I've never heard of that. I need to get out more."

9) Towards the very end, Dirk said he's going to keep trying his best to bring the championship to Dallas. This, of course, got a great cheer.

That's about all I can remember as far as specifics. Really, I just wanted to confirm what we already knew--Dirk is an awesome guy. I'm really proud of him. I think Dallas is incredibly lucky to have superstar athletes like Dirk and Romo representing our city.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-28-2008 at 09:23 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Dirk shouldn't be worried about not having heard of Lantana. It's not really a city.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I am one jealous dude.

Virtual rep..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm green with envy. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

How about telling us news??

J/K - thanks for sharing.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good work bro. that is awesome, i'm jealous.

also, the rep. is broken.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

great read.. thanks man.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Cool read. You lucky schmuck!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Great Horn !
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I have a whole new reason to hate you now....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I have a whole new reason to hate you now....
Where's the love, man!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Where's the love, man!
That is actually a really cool story, dubby...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
That is actually a really cool story, dubby...
I thought you guys might like it.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm really proud of him. I think Dallas is incredibly lucky to have superstar athletes like Dirk and Romo representing our city.
Truth.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the story! Sounds great, and I agree that I'm proud that Dirk Nowitzki is a Maverick. Romo as a Cowboy is fantastic as well...great, genuine guys who haven't let the spotlight get crazy on them and are just good, down-to-earth guys.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Thanks for the story! Sounds great, and I agree that I'm proud that Dirk Nowitzki is a Maverick. Romo as a Cowboy is fantastic as well...great, genuine guys who haven't let the spotlight get crazy on them and are just good, down-to-earth guys.
More truth.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing, I love that Dirk is so down to earth and a great guy, it's nice having a favorite athlete that can be an awesome role model. Every time I read something like this about him it makes me like him even more. Did you happen to get his autograph? Seems like it'd be a good opportunity.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff...thanks for posting
Old 11-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #19
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Danka!

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 11-29-2008 at 06:01 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #20
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
7) Dirk said he's dating someone, and he's living with her. This is the first time he's ever lived with a girlfriend. This was actually a sort of interesting moment, because there were two really old ladies in front of me who apparently didnt like that he said that. One of them turned to the other and said (with a scowl), "They should be married."
I can´t believe this. Dirk just wanted to brag.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #21
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
I can´t believe this. Dirk just wanted to brag.
Maybe you're right. But if it's true, it could enhance the chance that he will finish his career in Dallas and not to go back to Germany for playing there a few years more (he would be bored and own the league single-handed). Maybe his date doesn't want to move. ;-) I assume he would stay as well...

Prior to this season he stated that he doesn't want to play until he's 36 and putting up only ridiculous numbers. He only wants to play if he can still compete within the NBA. Personally I think that he could definitely play two more years or so after his contract ends in 2011 (he will be 33 after that season). I don't think that he will be on a harsh decline in 2011. He's so strong, playing until 2013 in the age of 35 should not be such a big problem for him (look for instance at Kidd). That's exactly the same what Nash (currently 34) is planning to do. His contract ends in 2010 I think and recently he stated that he would like to play for two more years before retiring. Thus it would be great if Dirk could do the same and finish with a championship in Dallas...

Edit: Great post by the way. I wish I could rep...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 11-30-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #22
croco

croco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura about

Awesome.
croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #23
LonghornDub

I forgot to mention something (dude's thread made me think of this).

At this thing where I met Dirk, we were all there about 30 minutes before he came out of the locker room, and the Mavs staff made every single one of us fill out 25 all-star ballots. I'm not exaggerating when I say "made" either--one of the Mavs staffers was literally roaming around and getting onto people who weren't filling out their ballots, and he wasn't doing it in a joking manner.

It was sort of a weird experience, to say the least.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I forgot to mention something (dude's thread made me think of this).

At this thing where I met Dirk, we were all there about 30 minutes before he came out of the locker room, and the Mavs staff made every single one of us fill out 25 all-star ballots. I'm not exaggerating when I say "made" either--one of the Mavs staffers was literally roaming around and getting onto people who weren't filling out their ballots, and he wasn't doing it in a joking manner.

It was sort of a weird experience, to say the least.
They sound like ACORN employees.

Dirk's living in sin! I'm glad to hear he's dating someone. He should be getting all kinds of tail, whatever he wants.

It was AFTER the Pacers game? That's pretty late.

Good post.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #25
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
It was AFTER the Pacers game? That's pretty late.
Yeah, and the thing would have ended at like 11:30, rather than after midnight, if Dirk hadn't kept insisting that people ask all their questions. He was the one who made it last so long--I thought that was very cool of him.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

nice~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #27
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

A good interview with Dirk. Sorry, cant open a new thread by myself.

Too lazy to translate it all but maybe babelfish is enough for u guys Main fact Dirk has no intention to leave Dallas because he is very thankful about his career here.

http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2008/12/09/987225.html

Basketball: Interview mit Superstar Dirk Nowitzki von den Dallas Mavericks
"Wir Deutschen jammern zu viel"

Dirk Nowitzki (30) spielt seit 1998 in Nordamerikas Profiliga NBA für die Dallas Mavericks. 2007 war er als erster Europäer wertvollster Spieler der Saison. Ein Meistertitel fehlt ihm noch.

Abendblatt:

Herr Nowitzki, haben Sie in den letzten Wochen immer das Schlüsselloch zu Ihrer Haustüre gefunden?

Dirk Nowitzki:
Wie meinen Sie das?

Abendblatt:

Na ja, Sie müssten doch nach dem Achterbahn-Start Ihrer Mavericks in die neue NBA-Saison einige Schwindelanfälle durchlitten haben.

Nowitzki: (lacht):
Es waren mehr Verzweiflungsanfälle! Wir waren in den letzten Jahren ja doch etwas erfolgsverwöhnt, und dann dieser Looser-Start. Der hat uns alle getroffen. Die ersten Wochen der neuen Saison haben sich angefühlt wie Monate. Egal ob in der Umkleidekabine, beim Training, im Bus, im Flieger - die Atmosphäre war nicht so toll.

Abendblatt:

Woran lag's denn?

Nowitzki:
Unser neuer Trainer Rick Carlisle hat versucht, neue Spielsysteme reinzubringen. Er hat viel ausprobiert, die Anfangsformation oft geändert, geschaut, wer mit wem am besten harmoniert, und da ist halt alles nicht so gelaufen, wie er und auch wir es gerne wollten.

Abendblatt:

Auch bei Ihnen nicht. Sie sind mit einer Feldwurfquote von 44,1 Prozent so schlecht gestartet wie seit Ihrer ersten Saison nicht mehr.

Nowitzki:
Ich habe mich am Saisonanfang, wie eigentlich alle, nicht wohl gefühlt. Wir haben nicht gewusst, wo kommen die Schüsse her, wer läuft wie, und so weiter. Inzwischen hat sich unser Aufbauspieler Jason Kidd besser ans neue System gewöhnt, er hat mehr Freiheiten, und es macht allen wieder Spaß. Auch mir.

Abendblatt:

Sie legen es also nicht darauf an, die Mavericks vorzeitig zu verlassen, indem Sie, wie andere NBA-Stars, offensiv von einem Wechsel sprechen?

Nowitzki:
Auf keinen Fall. Ich habe noch drei Jahre Vertrag, und ich will mit den Mavericks die Meisterschaft gewinnen. Ich habe Dallas so viel zu verdanken, da muss man auch in schlechteren Zeiten durch.

Abendblatt:

Leider sehen wir in Deutschland erstmals nach vielen Jahren keine NBA-Spiele mehr live im Fernsehen. Ist der deutsche Markt so unwichtig für die NBA?

Nowitzki:
Schade, sehr, sehr schade, dass da kein Fernsehdeal zustande gekommen ist. Meine Freunde und meine Familie ärgern sich genauso wie bestimmt viele deutsche Basketballfans. Die NBA ist eine Weltmarke und für Deutschland sicherlich genauso interessant wie für andere Länder. Ich weiß nicht, woran es gescheitert ist.

Abendblatt:

Amerikanische Investoren planen, in Hamburg ein Basketball-Profiteam auf die Beine zu stellen, das höchsten internationalen Ansprüchen genügen soll. Was halten Sie davon?

Nowitzki:
Ich habe Hamburg in sehr guter Erinnerung. Die Zuschauer haben uns bei den Vorbereitungsspielen der Nationalmannschaft vor großen Turnieren immer super unterstützt. Die Begeisterungsfähigkeit ist also da. Hamburg ist eine Großstadt, wo ein solcher Versuch sicherlich machbar ist.

Abendblatt:

Könnten Sie sich vorstellen, für ein solches Team aufzulaufen?

Nowitzki:
Früher habe ich immer gedacht, dass ich meine Karriere in Amerika beenden würde. Inzwischen denke ich anders. In fünf, sechs Jahren, also mit 35 oder 36, bin ich nicht mehr so schnell und spritzig wie jetzt, will aber noch spielen. Dann kann ich mir vorstellen, nach Europa zurückzukommen und dort meine Karriere zu beenden. Vielleicht auch in Deutschland. Da will und kann ich mich aber jetzt noch nicht festlegen.

Abendblatt:

Haben Sie, mit einem Abstand von gut einem Vierteljahr, auch Ihren Fast-Rücktritt aus der Nationalmannschaft neu überdacht?

Nowitzki:
Bis jetzt noch nicht.

Abendblatt:

Was müsste passieren, damit wir Sie bei der EM 2009 in Polen doch im deutschen Trikot mit der Nummer 14 sehen?

Nowitzki:
Wenn wir mit den Mavericks in den Play-offs früh ausscheiden sollten, wovon ich nicht ausgehe, dann vielleicht. Spielen wir bis in den Juni rein, dann eher nicht. Aber das wird eine spontane Entscheidung. Es kommt darauf an, wie fit ich mich fühle und was mir mein Körper sagt.

Abendblatt:

Der müsste nach zehn Jahren fast ohne Pause doch mal SOS funken.

Nowitzki:
Nach dem langen Qualifikationsturnier für Olympia im Juli habe ich schon den Verschleiß gespürt. Vielleicht war deshalb in Peking auch die Luft raus.

Abendblatt:

Wenn Sie Peking ansprechen - was ist denn beim Träger der deutschen Fahne ganz persönlich hängen geblieben?

Nowitzki:
Sie haben es bereits gesagt: Der Moment, die deutsche Olympiamannschaft ins Stadion zu führen - da kriege ich heute noch Gänsehaut. Die zweite Sache, von der ich immer geträumt habe: Die Begegnungen und die Atmosphäre im olympischen Dorf. Ich habe Handball, Beachvolleyball, Tennis live gesehen. Das Highlight als Zuschauer im Vogelnest (so der Name des Olympiastadions, d. Red.) waren die 200 Meter von Weltrekordler Usain Bolt.

Abendblatt:

Sie gelten seit dem Rücktritt von Formel-1-Rekordweltmeister Michael Schumacher als bestbezahlter deutscher Sportler. Was bedeutet Ihnen Geld?

Nowitzki:
Geld hat mir nie viel bedeutet. Ich weiß, das hört sich so abgedroschen an, wenn man keine finanziellen Sorgen zu haben braucht. Ich leiste mir ein schönes Haus in Dallas und ein schönes Auto, ansonsten bin ich bescheiden. Das liegt in der Familie, so bin ich aufgewachsen. Schauen Sie, meine Mutter ist 64 und könnte aufhören zu arbeiten. Aber sie will bis 65 arbeiten wie alle anderen auch.

Abendblatt:

Die NBA spürt, wie fast alle, die Wirtschafts- und Finanzkrise. Sie auch?

Nowitzki:
Es hat doch jeden getroffen. Ich habe einen Teil meines Geldes in Amerika und in Europa angelegt. Und die Märkte sind überall nach unten gerutscht. Aber jetzt kommt im Januar ein neuer Präsident in Amerika, und alle hoffen, dass er neuen Wind bringt ...

Abendblatt:

... die Wirtschafts- und Finanzkrise bald gemeistert wird und die Märkte wieder nach oben klettern.

Nowitzki:
Genau. Und da sind die Amis wesentlich optimistischer als die Europäer, speziell die Deutschen. Die Amis sagen in diesen schweren Zeiten: 'Jetzt müssen wir kaufen und investieren, die Häuser und Aktien sind günstig.' Wir Deutschen jammern da zu viel.

Abendblatt:

Ist es dann auch angenehmer, in Amerika berühmt zu sein, oder doch in Deutschland?

Nowitzki:
Auf alle Fälle in Amerika. Es stimmt schon teilweise, wenn man den Amis eine gewisse Oberflächlichkeit nachsagt, aber die Leute sehen alles positiver und, ganz wichtig, es gibt nicht so viele Neider wie in Deutschland. In Amerika wird Reichtum und Berühmtheit anerkannt, in Deutschland immer ein wenig skeptisch beäugt.

Abendblatt:

Weihnachten steht vor der Tür. Wie verbringt der beste deutsche Basketballer das Fest?

Nowitzki:
Meine ganze Familie, meine Schwester mit ihren zwei Kids und meine Eltern, kommt aus Würzburg nach Dallas. Leider fällt unser Spielplan so dumm, dass wir schon am Heiligabend zum Auswärtsspiel am Ersten Feiertag fliegen müssen. Trotzdem finde ich es schön, dass alle da sind.

Abendblatt:

Da fehlt aber noch jemand für eine runde Familie...

Ja, meine Freundin ist natürlich auch da.

Abendblatt:

Denkt da der harmonie- und familienorientierte NBA-Superstar nicht selbst mal an Hochzeit?

Nowitzki:
Ich habe immer gesagt, bevor ich 30 Jahre alt bin, will ich nicht heiraten und keine Kinder. Jetzt bin ich 30. und da denkt man schon mal über solche Dinge nach. Ein bisschen Zeit habe ich aber noch. Interview: Helmut Uhl

erschienen am 9. Dezember 2008
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Quote:

Abendblatt:

Weihnachten steht vor der Tür. Wie verbringt der beste deutsche Basketballer das Fest?

Nowitzki:
Meine ganze Familie, meine Schwester mit ihren zwei Kids und meine Eltern, kommt aus Würzburg nach Dallas. Leider fällt unser Spielplan so dumm, dass wir schon am Heiligabend zum Auswärtsspiel am Ersten Feiertag fliegen müssen. Trotzdem finde ich es schön, dass alle da sind.

Abendblatt:

Da fehlt aber noch jemand für eine runde Familie...

Ja, meine Freundin ist natürlich auch da.

Abendblatt:

Denkt da der harmonie- und familienorientierte NBA-Superstar nicht selbst mal an Hochzeit?

Nowitzki:
Ich habe immer gesagt, bevor ich 30 Jahre alt bin, will ich nicht heiraten und keine Kinder. Jetzt bin ich 30. und da denkt man schon mal über solche Dinge nach. Ein bisschen Zeit habe ich aber noch. Interview: Helmut Uhl

erschienen am 9. Dezember 2008
Lol. Thanks for sharing, mate.

Abendblatt:

How do you spend Christmas ?

Nowitzki:
My whole family comes to Dallas. Unfortunately we have to take the plane for a road-game on Christmas Eve ( @ Blazers ) But it´s nice that all will be here.

Abendblatt:

But for a perfect family fest ( different german term for Christmas ) one person is missing...

Nowitzki:
* LMFAO * Yeah, my chick will be present, too.

Abendblatt:

Do you think of being a husband ?

Nowitzki:
No, my wife is colored blue and white. That´s all a have to say ( free translation )

Interview: Helmut Uhl, Dec. 9th 2008
Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #29
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting. Never really heard the dirkster talk culture very much. Thanks for the post.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #30
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Since it's quite a good read, I thought I could translate the important parts of the interview for those few of you who don't speak German...

Abendblatt:
Well, you must have been suffering from dizziness after that rollercoaster ride start with the Mavericks.

Nowitzki (laughs):
More from being on the edge of despair. We were a little spoilt by success in recent years, and then we had this loser start. It hit all of us. The first weeks of the new season felt like months. Whether it was in the locker room, during practice, in the bus, or on the airplane – the atmosphere wasn’t great.

Abendblatt:
How could it happen?

Nowitzki:
Our new coach Rick Carlisle tried to install new systems. He attempted a lot, changed the starting line-ups to figure out which player combinations work best, and it just didn’t really work out like he and we wanted it to.

Abendblatt:
It didn’t work out for you either. Your shooting percentage of 44,1% was the lowest since your rookie season.

Nowitzki:
At the beginning of the season, like the rest of the guys, I didn’t feel good. We didn’t know where the shots were coming from, who runs where, and so on. As the time passed by our point guard Jason Kidd got used to the new system, he has more freedom on the court, and everyone is having fun again. So do I.

Abendblatt:
So you’re not aiming at leaving your team before your contract ends like many other NBA stars do (to win the title)?

Nowitzki:
Certainly not! I have three years left on my contract, and I want to win the championship with the Mavericks. I owe Dallas so much, and thus you have to go through difficult times as well.

Abendblatt:
What would have to happen for us to see you play for the German national team at the European Championship in Poland in 2009?

Nowitzki:
If we were to lose early in the playoffs with the Mavericks, and I don’t expect it, then I will possibly play. If we were to play until June with the Mavericks, then I won’t. But that’s going to be a spontaneous decision. It depends on how I feel and what my body tells me.

Abendblatt:
After 10 years without many breaks your body could be close to calling SOS?

Nowitzki:
After the long qualifying tournament in July I felt a little worn out. Maybe that was one of the reasons why we ran out of gas during the Olympics.

Abendblatt:
Since Formula One’s record-winning Michael Schumacher retired in 2006, you have been Germany’s best-paid athlete. How much does money mean to you?

Nowitzki:
Money never meant much to me. I know that that sounds corny (alternative translation: worn out, threadbare) when you don’t have any financial worries. I allow myself a nice house in Dallas and a nice car, but otherwise I’m modest. It runs in the family, that’s how I was raised. Look, my mother is 64 and could afford to stop working. Yet she wants to work like anyone else until she is 65 (side note: retirement age in Germany).

Abendblatt:
Is it more pleasant to be famous in the United Stated or in Germany?

Nowitzki:
Definitely in the USA. It’s somewhat true that Americans can be a little superficial (side note: common German prejudice towards Americans), but they are much more positive and upbeat, and, which is very important, there aren’t as many enviers as in Germany. Wealth and fame are accepted here, whereas in Germany people are always a little sceptical in that respect.

Also of interest: Dirk seems to be willing to play in the NBA until he is 35 or 36 years old and then play in Europe.

AND: He never called his girlfriend "chick"! You all know he wouldn’t do that. He just said that he is lucky that she is going to be with his family over Christmas. At 30, he starts to think about marrying or having children, but also says there is still some more time to just "think" about it.

Last edited by dalger; 12-09-2008 at 08:46 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #31
Underdog

^Great post, Dalger - it's nice to see Dirk in a different light...

Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #32
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

just an advise: read dalger's translation instead of "germandunk"'s
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #33
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAANlmzUUA

Last edited by GermanDunk; 12-09-2008 at 09:52 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a good time! I went to a after-game-Dirk-event one year....a bunch of German classes were invited to the event and they were all required to ask their questions in German, and Dirk answered most of them in German. Dirk wore a long-sleeved pink shirt and was just as gracious as you describe him. That year they had us fill out ballots, but we put our names on them and they drew them for raffle prizes....so everyone filled them out willingly.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #35
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

very cool!!!
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #36
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

GREAT read. you're one lucky person. thx so much for sharing that experience. just brought huge smile to my face.

when you mentioned dirk's sarcasm, i immediately thought of him squishing the bug at a post game interview a while back. one of the funniest things i have ever seen an athlete do!! i love that man...
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #37
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Who is his chick?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote