Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simmon's article.

Worth a posting. Dang near sig-worthy but kinda long. Hattip db.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

Quote:
Q: I love the NBA's new playoff commercials, so what would be the funniest slow-motion, black-and-white commercial to see with that piano music playing?
A: I thought of this idea myself and then a few readers sent in similar thoughts. The funniest ever would be Bennett Salvatore's bogus call from 40 feet away of Dirk's slight shove on Wade in Game 5 of the 2006 Finals, followed by the crazed reaction of Dallas' bench. This would be the funniest one ever. It just can't be topped. I would laugh and laugh. .
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody should really make that video, I've always thought someone should make a video showing all the BS calls in that series kinda like what the Kings fans did when they got screwed. Its probably too painful though for mavs fans to go and look back at those finals.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact that Simmons won't that travesty of that series die. Coming from us it's sour grapes but this is a life long Celtics fan who had no dog in the fight.

And longsufferingmavs fan is right, even if I had the video editing skills there's no way I do that. I still can't watch Dwayne Wade play for more than a few minutes at a time as great as he is.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I love the fact that Simmons won't that travesty of that series die. Coming from us it's sour grapes but this is a life long Celtics fan who had no dog in the fight.

And longsufferingmavs fan is right, even if I had the video editing skills there's no way I do that. I still can't watch Dwayne Wade play for more than a few minutes at a time as great of a free throw shooter as he is.
fixed

j/k
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

That Miami series keeps getting pointed out because it symbolizes the on-going terribleness of the refs today. The refs are still as bad as ever so why would anyone just forget that?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That Miami series keeps getting pointed out because it symbolizes the on-going terribleness of the refs today. The refs are still as bad as ever so why would anyone just forget that?
The f'd up part of it is that it is because of that Miami series Dirk's reputation and this franchise's image became viewed negatively. I know in my heart we deseved to win but the refs didn't let us. Miami was clearly the more physical team and yet they got away with it, while if we even looked at d-wade we got called for a foul. The "experts" ignore the attrocious reffing in that series and just say d-wade was "agressive" that's why he shot a whopping 97 freethrows. *Sighs*
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
The f'd up part of it is that it is because of that Miami series Dirk's reputation and this franchise's image became viewed negatively. I know in my heart we deseved to win but the refs didn't let us. Miami was clearly the more physical team and yet they got away with it, while if we even looked at d-wade we got called for a foul. The "experts" ignore the attrocious reffing in that series and just say d-wade was "agressive" that's why he shot a whopping 97 freethrows. *Sighs*
the big problem with the he was aggressive idea is what was the big revelation of that series? That wade could hit midrange jumpers(that he had that bank shot) He even said so himself. If he was making all these jumpers how was he always going to the rim?????? He went to the rim SIX times in game 6. I counted. He shot over 20 fts. He shot 12 fts on off the ball fouls. Im sorry but if you are calling off the ball fouls that closely dirk would shoot a ft literally every time down the floor. I honestly think the mavs shouldnt ever be called for off the ball fouls because dirk gets abused more off the ball than any non post player in the nba and its just accepted because hes tall. Its kinda like the rondo flagrant, if brad miller had done that to rondo its a flagrant no questions asked, but since the smaller guy was the one fouling it wasnt.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Amazing how one whistle could be so devastating.

People can talk about the missed jumpers, the missed free throws, but the bottom line is that if Salvatore swallows his whistle there like he should've, Mavs go up 3-2 and in all likelihood win an NBA championship.

And our beloved Dirk, oh our beloved Dirk. such an undeserved reputation due to that whistle. Nobody remembers that shot over Shaq in Game 5 now that the Cheat "won" the title, but had that whistle not been blown, it would go down as a great shot in Finals history and Dirk would be viewed as an NBA Champion rather than a guy who can't get it done.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Lest we forget Dampier's sweet dunk on the pick and roll in Game 5 that was almost a game winner. He'd be forever immortalized as a Mavs hero.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Indeed!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

man GREAT FRIGGIN READ!!! i loved it...simmons is most def a writing genius. that was very entertaining, as is most of his work

GO MAVS!!!

M/F/F/L

xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Lest we forget Dampier's sweet dunk on the pick and roll in Game 5 that was almost a game winner. He'd be forever immortalized as a Mavs hero.
And Dirk's fadeaway jumper from the knees over shaq late in the game.

I'm about to slash my wrists.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so gloomy tonight.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Another part from the same article...gives the Mavs some props

Q: Does Dallas' thorough shellacking of the Spurs mean that the Jason Kidd-Devin Harris trade wasn't one of the five worst trades of the decade?

A: You know what? I have to say yes. To be clear: The Mavs still gave up waaaaaaaaay too much and should have fired their coach before shaking things up; there's an 81 percent chance they'd be just as unstoppable with Devin Harris in Kidd's place. But you can't deny Kidd's effect on Jason Terry, Josh Howard and Dirk -- he lives to make them better and they are better. Beyond that, the Mavs have excellent chemistry for the first time I can ever remember. Part of that might be Nowitzki emerging as a leader, but again, maybe that doesn't happen without Kidd.

The most interesting wrinkle to me: Of any "former great," with the possible exception of Karl Malone, Kidd did the best job of accepting his weaknesses and accentuating his strengths. He can't defend good point guards anymore, and he always shot a poor percentage. Fine. But he can run a team. He can make 3-pointers as long as he's wide open. He can advise and lead. He can run fast breaks as well as anyone. He can still jump passing lanes and swipe a dumb pass. He has recreated himself as a still-effective complementary player. That's something that Gary Payton couldn't do, or Chris Webber, or Allen Iverson, or Charles Barkley, or Larry Johnson, or Mitch Richmond, or Glen Rice, or Penny Hardaway, or Jermaine O'Neal. ... I mean, it's hard to say, "I can no longer do everything from A through Z, but I can still do A, D, F, J, K and M, so that's what I will do."

In a stroke of luck, Kidd might make it the rest of the playoffs -- a postseason that featured a remarkable slew of penetrating point guards -- without facing anyone else who will chew him up like Tony Parker did. In Round 2, Chauncey Billups is a perfect matchup for him, a herky-jerky, physical jump-shooter who Kidd can bump and grind. In Round 3, he'd go against Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown and the Artist Formerly Known As Jordan Farmar, or as I like to call them, the Poop Club Sandwich. In the Finals, he'd get Mo Williams and Boobie Gibson. That's why I see Kidd gaining steam as the playoffs keep going, this rejuvenated Dallas team making the Western Conference finals, and even the Lakers sweating out that Finals berth more than people anticipate.

You know what else? A reader (can't remember his name) pointed out something to me that I passed along in a podcast and now I will mention here: Kidd is the only guy who can defend LeBron and Kobe. Why? They respect him too much. They don't want to kick his butt. It doesn't make them feel good. They settle for jumpers instead of just destroying him off the dribble in a goofy display of guilt and respect. Back in the '60s, Wilt rarely unleashed against Russell because he liked him so much. ... In fact, that was Russell's ploy, to make Wilt like him so he wouldn't annihilate him. I don't think Kidd thinks that way; the situation is what it is. Those guys love him from their Redeem Team days and have no interest in eviscerating him now.

But as strange as this sounds, Jason Kidd's advanced age and declining defensive skills might be Dallas' best chance against the Lakers and Cavs. Call it the Pity Theory. Just wait.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
In a stroke of luck, Kidd might make it the rest of the playoffs -- a postseason that featured a remarkable slew of penetrating point guards -- without facing anyone else who will chew him up like Tony Parker did. In Round 2, Chauncey Billups is a perfect matchup for him, a herky-jerky, physical jump-shooter who Kidd can bump and grind. In Round 3, he'd go against Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown and the Artist Formerly Known As Jordan Farmar, or as I like to call them, the Poop Club Sandwich. In the Finals, he'd get Mo Williams and Boobie Gibson. That's why I see Kidd gaining steam as the playoffs keep going, this rejuvenated Dallas team making the Western Conference finals, and even the Lakers sweating out that Finals berth more than people anticipate.
I liked this paragraph.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote