Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mark Cuban complains about the reffing

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...-the-refs.html

Quote:
Mark Cuban complains about the refs
11:26 AM Fri, Feb 13, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

That headline probably doesn't shock anybody, but it had been a while since Mark Cuban whined about officiating. He let loose after watching Paul Pierce score eight of his 18 fourth-quarter points from the free throw line in the Celtics' comeback win over the Mavs.

"If Dirk got the officiating that Paul Pierce gets, he'd go to the line 10 more times a game," Cuban told Big Ed Sefko. "I don't know if it's because they are the champions or what, but it's amazing that Dirk takes such a pounding and doesn't get the same respect from the officials.

"And it's the same with Josh Howard. He'd be a perennial all-star if he got the same calls that Paul Pierce gets."

Pierce ranks sixth in the league in free throws attempted (right behind New Jersey's Devin Harris). Dirk ranks 11th, and the difference is less than a free throw per game. Josh Howard is all the way down at 106th, but that's in large part due to the games he's missed and his reliance on the jumper.

I don't recall my eyebrows raising on any calls that sent Pierce to the line last night. However, I can understand why the Mavs would be heated about a key offensive foul that Pierce drew against Dirk.
Josh being a perennial all-star? That's a little bit too much. But Cuban's right on with everything else, and its been this way as a long time: Dirk is viewed as a PF/C, no matter where he is on the court, and often gets PF/C foul calls on him when he's behind the arc or just inside.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't recall my eyebrows raising on any calls that sent Pierce to the line last night. However, I can understand why the Mavs would be heated about a key offensive foul that Pierce drew against Dirk.
How about all of Kidd's fouls? Stupid Tim MacMahon.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
How about all of Kidd's fouls? Stupid Tim MacMahon.
Yup, very ticky-tacky fouls. Refs need to understand basketball is considered a contact sport. You're allowed to touch the other player...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

They called those fouls on Kidd when he was matched up against Pierce... however, Dirk gets pushed around ALL THE TIME on the block and there is no such treatment.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
They called those fouls on Kidd when he was matched up against Pierce... however, Dirk gets pushed around ALL THE TIME on the block and there is no such treatment.
Dirk doesn't receive the same superstar treatment, it's always been that way.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that Dirk doesn't receive superstar treatment.. it's that the officials don't even give him the calls on the perimeter that your average NBA player gets simply because he's 7 foot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
tomly

tomly will become famous soon enough

Its because he is European, white and plays for Cuban!
tomly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Paul Pierce was getting Wade like calls in that game...it remind me of the Finals when the Reffs brought the Heat back into the game/series by sending Wade to the free throw line.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Pierce drives aggressively. You get fouled when you do that. Dirk is a 7 footer with a fantastic outside touch; he just doesn't drive like Pierce does (and shouldn't).

That's why Pierce gets to the line- he forces the issue.
minkbarn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

HBO should do a Real Sports on NBA reffing.

I bet the amount of fines for complaining about the refs is pretty high in the past 10 years.

With that said, Cuban has had a habit lately over-exaggerating things. Josh a perennial all-star if he got the same calls? Either this is a bit to increase the trade value or Cuban is a little loony...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

If Cuban was smart he would have voiced this opinion before they played Boston. That way he would plant the seed in the official's head. Now doing it after the game, it makes you look like a whiner. It is a reason why the Mavs look worse to the league.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkbarn View Post
Pierce drives aggressively. You get fouled when you do that. Dirk is a 7 footer with a fantastic outside touch; he just doesn't drive like Pierce does (and shouldn't).

That's why Pierce gets to the line- he forces the issue.
Part of the reason why I believe that Dirk doesn't drive as much any more is because he wasn't getting rewarded when often enough when fouled.

The thing that is frustrated is that the officials let players blatantly foul Dirk 15-20 feet from the bucket in wide open spaces... easy calls. No, they're not even shooting fouls. The same hand checking rules don't apply when Dirk has the ball. Opponents are allowed to do just about whatever. The fouls that most people are complaining about aren't necessarily when Dirk's shooting the ball. Hell, it's when he first receives the pass.. Defenders are basically allowed to do as they please. It's not the same with other players around the league. Once again, because dirk is 7 foot, officials refuse to use the same rules when he receives the ball out on the perimeter as they would with a guard.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
If Cuban was smart he would have voiced this opinion before they played Boston. That way he would plant the seed in the official's head. Now doing it after the game, it makes you look like a whiner. It is a reason why the Mavs look worse to the league.
I'm sure that he's voiced his opinion on the issue a hundred times over the past decade.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Oh he most certainly has voiced his opinion. But the Mavs need to do it the way Phil does it. He told the press that LeBron gets all the calls in Cleveland, before LA played them in Cleveland.

If you say it beforehand... two things happen:

1) The refs call the same way for that star player. If that happens you can immediately say: see I told you so. And it will make them look bad. And Stern hates that.

2) The refs actually give your team favorable treatment to not seem biased toward the star player. If that happens, it benefits your team.

It is a win-win situation if you say it first. It is a lose lose situation is you said it after the game.

Last edited by Bayliss; 02-13-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

Cube I'm glad that you don't mind raising your voice for your team. Never stop!! But Dirk goes to the line a lot. 4 more trips to the line for Dirk doesn't get us a Chip. Dirk deserves better. he gave this franchise his career, you should try to make a couple of moves to give him the pieces he needs.
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

(I'd like to mention one final time that it's almost never a good thing to play aggressive offensively in the first half.

Because it doesn't matter if you earned your FT advantage, these refs are in the game for so long they can easily steer the game in one direction or another with their officiating. And they WILL even out the FTA's most of the time. This is a big factor with 50-50 calls in the fourth quarter of games. It helps them with their decision if Pierce or Dirk go to the basket and they are unsure whether to call it or not.

In the Boston game it was 15-5 Mavs at half. In the end it was 24-28. Despite the technicals to Doc.)
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #17
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
(I'd like to mention one final time that it's almost never a good thing to play aggressive offensively in the first half.

Because it doesn't matter if you earned your FT advantage, these refs are in the game for so long they can easily steer the game in one direction or another with their officiating. And they WILL even out the FTA's most of the time. This is a big factor with 50-50 calls in the fourth quarter of games. It helps them with their decision if Pierce or Dirk go to the basket and they are unsure whether to call it or not.

In the Boston game it was 15-5 Mavs at half. In the end it was 24-28. Despite the technicals to Doc.)
I Agree with you to an extent. I do think refs tend to even out the free throw attempts as the game goes on but I don't think that came into effect last night. Mavs simply relied on the jumpshot. What was the streak at one point? 10 missed shots in a row? Some were those unfortunate misses that go half way in and come out but watching that 4th quarter I saw nothing this Mavs team did to try and draw contact to get to the free throw line. Pierce is great at what he does. I hate it but I don't think its refs trying to bail him out. He's great at making the refs blow their whistle. Especially in the clutch.

And can we please quit bailing these players out for not driving to the rack? Seriously, the biggest excuse we as fans give these players is that they never get the calls so they quit driving. I hope that's not he case. A problem this team has when going to the rack is they're never aggressive. They always expect for the refs to bail them out when they attack the rack.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #18
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

Also when they attack, the Mavericks need to start dunking the ball in because these refs sometimes aren't calling the tick-tack shove fouls on miss layups.

Last edited by eyedentifyme; 02-14-2009 at 02:27 AM.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #19
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Part of the reason why I believe that Dirk doesn't drive as much any more is because he wasn't getting rewarded when often enough when fouled.

The thing that is frustrated is that the officials let players blatantly foul Dirk 15-20 feet from the bucket in wide open spaces... easy calls. No, they're not even shooting fouls. The same hand checking rules don't apply when Dirk has the ball. Opponents are allowed to do just about whatever. The fouls that most people are complaining about aren't necessarily when Dirk's shooting the ball. Hell, it's when he first receives the pass.. Defenders are basically allowed to do as they please. It's not the same with other players around the league. Once again, because dirk is 7 foot, officials refuse to use the same rules when he receives the ball out on the perimeter as they would with a guard.
When Dirk does drive he can get smashed to the floor and gets a no call. I guess since he is a 7 footer they think he's a true 5 when he hits the paint.
If Dirk got the calls he deserved he would have by far the most free throw attemps in the league.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #20
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

haha, too late~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
Because it doesn't matter if you earned your FT advantage, these refs are in the game for so long they can easily steer the game in one direction or another with their officiating.
Here is the truth, and the whole problem with the product that is seen today.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban's remarks about JHo being an all star must be an attempt to drive up his trade value. Gotta be. He can't be that blind.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #23
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk in Utah anyone? I've seen POW's treated better.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I Agree with you to an extent. I do think refs tend to even out the free throw attempts as the game goes on but I don't think that came into effect last night. Mavs simply relied on the jumpshot. What was the streak at one point? 10 missed shots in a row? Some were those unfortunate misses that go half way in and come out but watching that 4th quarter I saw nothing this Mavs team did to try and draw contact to get to the free throw line. Pierce is great at what he does. I hate it but I don't think its refs trying to bail him out. He's great at making the refs blow their whistle. Especially in the clutch.

And can we please quit bailing these players out for not driving to the rack? Seriously, the biggest excuse we as fans give these players is that they never get the calls so they quit driving. I hope that's not he case. A problem this team has when going to the rack is they're never aggressive. They always expect for the refs to bail them out when they attack the rack.

we must have been watching a different game. They were running pick and roll, get pierce the ball at the ft line extended and then pierce was working for a fadeaway jumper over a shorter player. I know that offense when i see it. Its what the mavs used to do with dirk. Speaking of which, where did that go for us?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #25
Louis

Louis is on a distinguished road

we championship of 05-06 belongs to our team, but not the Miami Cheat.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
we championship of 05-06 belongs to our team, but not the Miami Cheat.
I didn't know Tarzan was a basketball fan.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
$$$, cuban being cuban, cuban complaining...