Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very interesting podcast from Marc Stein

A pretty far-reaching discussion with Marc Stein on the state of the news, what fans are really wanting to see newswise, how espn covers nba. Long podcast but pretty good.

He gives complete credit for nash/nowitzki to donnie, not nellie. But he pings him on pavel/diop.

http://insidecorner.dmagazine.com/in...erves-a-break/
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It is rather lengthy, but I'm almost done...so i'll have a recap in a few!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Felton non-deal was a "crushing" blow, and it would've been a home run. It was a short-term rental that could have extended. They felt he was quick enough to have a better shot at guarding Parker/CP3 than what we are able to throw out there now. He wouldn't be the fix-it man, but it'd be another nice option to have.

He doesn't feel like Cuban's Message/Call-Out will truly fix things for the year. The inconsistency will remain. He even called out fans in the sense that it was the first time he noticed major energy in the AAC in quite a while during the Spurs game.

Spurs still see Dallas as an equal or hold a lot of respect for Dallas. They haven't been able to figure out how to really contain Dirk consistently and that makes Dallas a factor in the Spurs eyes.

The honest/realistic ceiling for this year is getting out of the first round. Stein doesn't think the future looks as bleak as people see it mainly for the economy. If Cuban is willing to take on the salary this summer with the same kind of names we saw at the deadline, then Dallas will be a major player and it'll be the one major push they might have left in them. Stein suggested Chandler should be a major target but that the FO has to be hopeful that NO can't find a taker for Chandler's deal b/c they won't want
to send him to Dallas.

Damp/Stack together could be the new big trade chip. Josh will be more valuable this coming year as opposed to this year. So watch this summer instead of summer of 10 for Dallas moves. If nothing is done at all in that time period, it's a major step backwards. It's not the end of the idea of moves, but it's the biggest window of opportunity.

Donnie may get a ton of negative feedback but his crown jewel is still Dirk. Don Nelson
gets the credit for drafting him but Donnie is the major person in that transaction. Draft Night during Nash's departure and Jason Terry were other positives.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Thanks for the Cliff Notes
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

No Problem, I dunno how many people wanna sit through and listen to 30 minutes of a interview for maybe 5-10 minutes of pretty good information.

I guess we'll see what happens, It wasn't earth shattering news, but he's got a pretty good pulse on the team.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

What of Kidd and Bass!?
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
What of Kidd and Bass!?
Are you talking about the Donnie stuff????
Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I mean, what is their future with our boys!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I mean, what is their future with our boys!
Well...

In the interview Stein said that Dallas would obviously love to have Kidd back and they'll try to find a deal that makes both parties happy. He didn't get into specific estimates as for the figures and years. He said though that, as with the trading landscape, the economy will be Dallas' friend in Kidd negotiations. There won't be a lot of teams who are major players and would shill out the big dollars to get Kidd.

As for Bass, I feel pretty confident in saying he wasn't mentioned in the interview at all.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Who is Bobby Brown?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
Who is Bobby Brown?
He apparently almost became a Maverick at the deadline, for G-$
It might've been pretty close to happening but Sacramento needed to add him as a filler for their deal with Minnesota.

He's a project player as well but could've brought some speed and defense.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

It is encouraging to learn that Stein thinks that Howard will have more value this summer because essentially his contract can expire in the summer of 2010. But I just feel the Mavs won't get a deal done with him.

Pretty cool listening to how he got into ESPN.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
It is encouraging to learn that Stein thinks that Howard will have more value this summer because essentially his contract can expire in the summer of 2010. But I just feel the Mavs won't get a deal done with him.

Pretty cool listening to how he got into ESPN.
I asked myself a few times, aloud and otherwise, what the heck the value was that met the price for trading Josh away...it didn't make sense. I guess it was just waiting until next year all along. It wasn't going to matter what it would be, they wanted that "final" year to be the icing on the cake.

This season and going into next year it was Stack's deal. It might not be as large of a sum compared to Josh or Damp, but it's still valuable.

You can use them in the offseason to take advantage of the economy and those 2010-dreaming teams and fetch you a couple of good players to keep the window open longer. If Cuban is still willing to spend and match that with an impending disappointing end to the season...I think we'll see some changes.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Lol he is right about everyone using the internet as an unlimited source of info. Everyone wants to be a GM!
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

With Stack as instant savings, and Damp & Josh as expirings for 2010, the Mavs have some enormous trade chips if they're willing to take on longer-term salary commitments. If they're not going to use those chips, this team follows the same path as the Kings of the past few years...getting older, not better.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
With Stack as instant savings, and Damp & Josh as expirings for 2010, the Mavs have some enormous trade chips if they're willing to take on longer-term salary commitments. If they're not going to use those chips, this team follows the same path as the Kings of the past few years...getting older, not better.
It has to be done, they have to take advantage of having Dirk on their side.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
It kind of seems like this was the hidden plan from the word go. They talked about 2010 but that doesn't seem feasible based on what would be left if they actually landed one of the bigger guys. The Summer of 09 is the one where they can strike big time returns and have the comparable impact as a signing in 2010.

As I mentioned in another thread, if they have a short trip in the playoffs, or non at all...Cuban will make moves. He's a business man and he's used to success and it coming relatively quickly. This is definitely testing his patience so eventually, he'll have to go really big or let it fade off into cellar-dwelling status.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
It kind of seems like this was the hidden plan from the word go. They talked about 2010 but that doesn't seem feasible based on what would be left if they actually landed one of the bigger guys. The Summer of 09 is the one where they can strike big time returns and have the comparable impact as a signing in 2010.

As I mentioned in another thread, if they have a short trip in the playoffs, or non at all...Cuban will make moves. He's a business man and he's used to success and it coming relatively quickly. This is definitely testing his patience so eventually, he'll have to go really big or let it fade off into cellar-dwelling status.

This will never happen under Marc Cuban!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
This will never happen under Marc Cuban!
but will it under MarK Cuban.

I get what you're saying though and I agree.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
but will it under MarK Cuban.

I get what you're saying though and I agree.

Damnit no, now the point is mute

Yes, I realize moot is misspelled.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

Dunno if anyone caught it but Wednesday he was on GAC.

When what kind of stuff to expect from Dallas in terms of moves came up, Stein preached the Summer of 09 being the one for Dallas to really make noise. He suspects all the bigger names from the trading deadline will be available, and some new ones will emerge as well...interested to see those names.

Either way if Cuban is willing to absorb the contracts, Stein believes that Dallas will or can make a major splash in the summer.