Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of
Default Mavs 92 Whorenets 102

Tough loss for the guys, I don't think we played that badly, we just missed our shots. Dirk had a brilliant game, to my surprise as he usually struggles in noon. Kidd/Ho/Terry had poor shooting games and only the offensive rebounding of the beloved Mavs gave us a chance. West had a hot shooting game. No way should he have made all those BS shots. Paul torches our defense like usual, no surprises there really, was just hoping we would match it with the offense.

It's been the story of a lot of our road games. lots of 3PA's, not a lot of makes. 6-22. Only 13 free throw attempts too.

Bass seems to love playing against his former team :-D

We needed to make Paul work a tad more though IMO. 11-15? Too high a %. 55.6% for the Hornets? too high yet again.

I'm not that upset though, again, we just missed our shots and while NOLA is a garbage team it's hard to beat any team twice in a row.

Just gotta win the home games. NOLA still has two tough roadies @ Rockets/Spurs so they may very well finish behind the Mavs regardless.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Since Longhorn thinks the reasons why the Mavs lost are not in the gameday thread, I'd love to hear his reasons for the loss.

Enlighten the masses, Longhorn.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
It's been the story of a lot of our road games. lots of 3PA's, not a lot of makes. 6-22. Only 13 free throw attempts too.
That sums it up there Ghazi. The Mavs struggle mightily on the road because when/if the jumpshots aren't falling they don't have much of an alternative. They totally took the ball out of Dirks hands in that last quarter and nobody could hit that outside shot.

Also, the Mavs just can't do anything to put a dent in the Paul/West combo. They can get anything they want and make it look easy vs. us. They did it last year in the playoffs and those two alone basically beat the Dallas Mavericks today. It was a two player offense, but they were so efficient that it was all they needed.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 04-12-2009 at 02:48 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
croco

croco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I'm not that upset though, again, we just missed our shots and while NOLA is a garbage team it's hard to beat any team twice in a row.
croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
croco

croco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
That sums it up there Ghazi. The Mavs struggle mightily on the road because when/if the jumpshots aren't falling they don't have much of an alternative. They totally took the ball out of Dirks hands in that last quarter and nobody could hit that outside shot.

Also, the Mavs just can't do anything to put a dent in the Paul/West combo. They can get anything they want and make it look easy vs. us. They did it last year in the playoffs and those two alone basically beat the Dallas Mavericks today. It was a two player offense, but they were so efficient that it was all they needed.
I agree and that is why it is so frustrating. You would think we are going up against prime Shaq, David West was almost automatic once again. If it was just Paul we might get away with that, but that is not the case. You can't let two guys beat you up all day long if only one of them is a superstar.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think we can afford to let West and Paul go off on us. They do most of the league anyway. They're solid players. I think people forget or don't know how good West is. He's a great player. We gotta contain the guys around them. At the end of the day they combined for 62 points. Now one thing that has to change is West can't shoot 14-21 from the floor and Paul can't shoot 11-15. That's rare from one player and from 2 players is unreal. Otherwise, I don't think you can ask for much more defensively from the Mavs. Peja, Butler and Posey struggled. No Chandler. Paul and West made up for their role players today.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

West is real hit or miss. He only shoots like 46% for his career, but he has days like tonight where he makes everything.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
croco

We could still throw some double teams at West, at least occasionally when he is hitting almost every shot. The Hornets were just isolating him on the block, there is no excuse for letting him go off like that. Him and Paul were combining for 62 points on 36 shots, that is ridiculous.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by croco View Post
We could still throw some double teams at West, at least occasionally when he is hitting almost every shot. The Hornets were just isolating him on the block, there is no excuse for letting him go off like that. Him and Paul were combining for 62 points on 36 shots, that is ridiculous.
I don't the 62 points hurt us as much as the field goal percentage did. That's unreal how effecient they were.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
croco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I don't the 62 points hurt us as much as the field goal percentage did. That's unreal how effecient they were.
That's why I added the part with the 36 shots.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Since Longhorn thinks the reasons why the Mavs lost are not in the gameday thread, I'd love to hear his reasons for the loss.

Enlighten the masses, Longhorn.
If you can kindly point me to the place where I said, "Reasons why the Mavs lost do not belong in the GDT," I will pay you a substantial sum of money.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

I guess I'm okay with letting Paul and West get theirs and trying to limit everything else for the Hornets, BUT, why would you put Barea and Bass on them for the 4th quarter?! Wright and Dampier have both proven to have at least occasional success in slowing Paul and West, but they didn't even get a minute in the fourth. What gives??
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of West, I think the crop of 2003 draft players has got to be the best since 1984. Arguments?

James
Anthony
Bosh
Wade
West
Howard

**Note: there are more noteworthy but still sparish, imo.

VS

Olajuwon
Jordan
Perkins
Barkley
Stockton

Also, the mavs are doomed.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
Speaking of West, I think the crop of 2003 draft players has got to be the best since 1984. Arguments?

James
Anthony
Bosh
Wade
West
Howard

**Note: there are more noteworthy but still sparish, imo.

VS

Olajuwon
Jordan
Perkins
Barkley
Stockton

Also, the mavs are doomed.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better group since that '84 class, that's for damn sure.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed to me that the 3 guard lineup with no center in the 4th is what lost the game. There's absolutely no way that lineup can defend the Hornets (or any good playoff team).

Josh Howard should have been on the court, and Damp probably should have been, too.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I see you didn't give your reason for the loss, Longhorn. But you did say this: If you want cogent analysis, don't come to the GDT.

So let's hear your well thought out reasons on why they lost. Because at the time of your post, peoplew were explaining why they were losing/lost.

So let's hear it. You don't have to pay me money. I just want you to actually make a basketball point.

So did you not believe Kidd was bad today? Did you not believe that the 3 guard lineup f*cked the Mavs? Did you not believe the Mavs needed a perimeter defender and a center?

Enlighten me because I am waiting. Analyze the game for me. Since you think **I** wasn't doing a coherent job during the gameday thread.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
Bayliss

Quote:
It seemed to me that the 3 guard lineup with no center in the 4th is what lost the game. There's absolutely no way that lineup can defend the Hornets (or any good playoff team).

Josh Howard should have been on the court, and Damp probably should have been, too.
Yep it was a huge reason for the loss. That and Kidd not willing to shoot the wide open 3 pointers.

But I guess when around 10 posters were saying the same thing in the gameday thread, those same 10 posters weren't doing it coherently enough.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the point in the little personal battles. Aren't we ALL rooting for the Mavs to win?

And yes, Kidd has absolutely has to shoot when no one is within 5 feet of him.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

if you want cogent analysis. ignore bayliss.

KG_vet hit the nail on the head. No Josh or Damp means we weren't playing to our strengths against them in the 4th, and our defense was just god awful for the entire 4th quarter. But still, it was close until they got a couple of bailout 3's, and.. well.. we couldn't hit anything. We played it well, just a few flubs in the 4th.

We can NOT afford a mental lapse against Minnesota. Do what you need to do Dallas.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. 1996 & 1998 make a good showing on draft by year

http://82games.com/bestnbadraftyear.htm

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #21
Bayliss

Quote:
KG_vet hit the nail on the head. No Josh or Damp means we weren't playing to our strengths against them in the 4th, and our defense was just god awful for the entire 4th quarter. But still, it was close until they got a couple of bailout 3's, and.. well.. we couldn't hit anything. We played it well, just a few flubs in the 4th.
That is what monty, myself, Lor, Cad, Dirkgreatness,Sportsstudi, and a few others said in the gameday thread. Must not have been cogent enough.

Last edited by Bayliss; 04-12-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
LonghornDub

Quote:
I see you didn't give your reason for the loss, Longhorn. But you did say this: If you want cogent analysis, don't come to the GDT.

So let's hear your well thought out reasons on why they lost. Because at the time of your post, peoplew were explaining why they were losing/lost.

So let's hear it. You don't have to pay me money. I just want you to actually make a basketball point.

So did you not believe Kidd was bad today? Did you not believe that the 3 guard lineup f*cked the Mavs? Did you not believe the Mavs needed a perimeter defender and a center?

Enlighten me because I am waiting. Analyze the game for me. Since you think **I** wasn't doing a coherent job during the gameday thread.
First of all, stop being such a sensitive little girl. As I recall, only one thing I said in the GDT was addressed to you personally, and it had nothing to do with anything we're talking about here.

Second, you're absolutely wrong that the people to whom my comments were addressed were merely "explaining the reasons why we lost." "Kidd is useless" is not a reason why the Mavs lost. It's an overbroad, hyperbolic, inaccurate statement. Same with "Carlisle is an idiot." Now, I'm not claiming that you personally made any of these incomprehensible, overbroad assertions, but they were certainly being thrown around left and right by other folks in the GDT.

Frankly, it's a god damn shame what this board has turned into during games. There are still some thoughtful folks out there, but most of the people who used to post regularly and provide insightful analysis are hardly ever around for the actual game action. Most likely, that's because they're tired of the massive group-think that goes on, as 50% or more of the GDT posters are just mimicking each other's completely trite points.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
That is what monty, myself, Lor, Cad, Dirkgreatness,Sportsstudi, and a few others said in the gameday thread. Must not have been cogent enough.
I didn't really read much of the GDT, but if that's what you said, I agree with you. There's no reason to play a 3 guard lineup against New Orleans. I mean, I understand why Carlisle did it. He wanted more offense. But it seems to me that the most balanced unit Dallas can put out there late in games is Kidd, Terry, Howard, Dirk, and Dampier. Howard could have stood there like Barea did and received the second swing pass out of the double down on Dirk, and he would have provided quite a bit more resistance on defense than Barea did. In fact, with Howard guarding Paul, the Mavs would have a lot more options defending the pick and roll. With Barea on Paul, the Mavs didn't have any good options because Barea got lost in the screens and wasn't big enough to switch.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #24
Bayliss

Quote:
First of all, stop being such a sensitive little girl. As I recall, only one thing I said in the GDT was addressed to you personally, and it had nothing to do with anything we're talking about here.

Quote:
Second, you're absolutely wrong that people were explaining the reasons why we lost. "Kidd is useless" is not a reason why the Mavs lost. It's an overbroad, hyperbolic, inaccurate statement. Same with "Carlisle is an idiot." Now, I'm not claiming that you personally made any of these incomprehensible, overbroad assertions, but they were certainly being thrown around left and right by other folks in the GDT.
Then list some names. Go back and find them. It goes back to what I said in the earlier post. The 3 guard lineup. The no center, etc.

Quote:
Frankly, it's a god damn shame what this board has turned into during games. There are still some thoughtful folks out there, but most of the people who used to post regularly and provide insightful analysis are hardly ever around for the actual game action. Most likely, that's because they're tired of the massive group think that goes on, as 50% or more of the GDT posters are just mimicking each other's completely trite points.
So here is the post game thread and you are complaining about the posters and yet you still haven't talked about the game. Analyze the game.

Pot, yer black.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
Bayliss

Quote:
I didn't really read much of the GDT, but if that's what you said, I agree with you. There's no reason to play a 3 guard lineup against New Orleans. I mean, I understand why Carlisle did it. He wanted more offense. But it seems to me that the most balanced unit Dallas can put out there late in games is Kidd, Terry, Howard, Dirk, and Dampier. Howard could have stood there like Barea did and received the second swing pass out of the double down on Dirk, and he would have provided quite a bit more resistance on defense than Barea did. In fact, with Howard guarding Paul, the Mavs would have a lot more options defending the pick and roll. With Barea on Paul, the Mavs didn't have any good options because Barea got lost in the screens and wasn't big enough to switch.
And why can't Howard and Terry run a pick and roll with Dirk being the outlet beside them? Have Terry take the ball and swing it to the right with Howard doing the pick. If they double Terry then tell Howard to take it and go to the bucket. If they don't then Terry should have an pretty easy 15 footer. If they try and trap, release it to Dirk. Howard could even swing it to Dirk if they converge.

The rebounding is what kept the Mavs in the game all night long. And Carlisle ruined that aspect in the 4th by going small.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
LonghornDub

Quote:
Then list some names. Go back and find them. It goes back to what I said in the earlier post. The 3 guard lineup. The no center, etc.
It doesn't "go back" to anything. You don't make some ridiculous overbroad statement and then try to explain it as connecting back to a more reasonable, salient point. If someone means to say, "Carlisle made an awful move with X lineup in the 4th quarter," they should say that. They shouldn't go on and on about how "Carlisle is an idiot." The two points are not congruent.

Like I said, it's a hyperbolic group-think. It happens every GDT for games that the Mavs lose, or at least don't play well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayliss
So here is the post game thread and you are complaining about the posters and yet you still haven't talked about the game. Analyze the game.

Pot, yer black.
Man, you got me. I just have nothing to say about the game whatsoever.

In fact, my thoughts about the game mostly reflect what you and others have said. I thought the fourth quarter lineups were suspect, and I thought we went away from a lot of the things that kept us in it in the first half when we were shooting terribly. The difference between me and the GDT trolls is that I keep the other side of the coin in mind--when Kidd has a bad game, I don't think "Kidd is terrible and needs to be traded for Iverson," I think, "Kidd is having a really bad game."

But again, this is all sort of moot. Truth be told, none of my comments were really addressed at you. You're just being (incredibly) hypersensitive.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like everyone is bickering with each other lately.

We are all Mavs fans so chill out.

I don't even do the tit-for-tat nonsense anymore because it isn't worth my time.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #28
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

I am sure there are some great posts here but I am too lazy to read after watching the recorded game.
Seems that if we are on the road and our shots do not fall, if no one drives we lose. Simple as that.

We root for a poor road team. No way we beat NO if Chandler is in there grabbing boards.

Paul is a flopper, Peja is a mouth breather and the Mavs leave their balls in Dallas everytime.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Bayliss

Quote:
It doesn't "go back" to anything. You don't make some ridiculous overbroad statement and then try to explain it as connecting back to a more reasonable, salient point. If someone means to say, "Carlisle made an awful move with X lineup in the 4th quarter," they should say that. They shouldn't go on and on about how "Carlisle is an idiot." The two points are not congruent.
And during the gameday thread a lot of posters are cutting their words short because they want to post while the play is happening. When a poster says: "Damp, that was dumb"... another poster shouldn't have to be told why it was dum,b because if that poster was watching the game they can probably guess why that poster said it. It may have been a bobble off his shin, a dumb hanging on the rim, etc.

Quote:
In fact, my thoughts about the game mostly reflect what you and others have said. I thought the fourth quarter lineups were suspect, and I thought we went away from a lot of the things that kept us in it in the first half when we were shooting terribly. The difference between me and the GDT trolls is that I keep the other side of the coin in mind--when Kidd has a bad game, I don't think "Kidd is terrible and needs to be traded for Iverson," I think, "Kidd is having a really bad game."

But again, this is all sort of moot. Truth be told, none of my comments were really addressed at you. You're just being (incredibly) hypersensitive.
Who said Kidd needed to be traded? Or are you using hyperbole to make your point? The same thing you were b*tching about other posters doing?

Who are the GDT trolls that you are talking about? Is it me that you are referring to? And how do you know those posters aren't keeping that in mind? Are you assuming they aren't?

As for the keeping things in mind, Kidd will hit his fair share of 3 pointers. But he hesitantcy was AWFUL today. If he goes 2-20 and missing every 3 then so be it. But he is one of their best 3 point shooters. If he has an open look at a 3 pointer, he has to take it. That is his job on offense. He didn't today at all.

But just because the Mavs have flaws, why not talk about them during the game? What's the point of a gameday thread if you can't talk about what is going on during the game? Defeats the purpose.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
Feel the Bass

Feel the Bass has a spectacular aura aboutFeel the Bass has a spectacular aura aboutFeel the Bass has a spectacular aura about

I love this team, but we ain't going nowhere in the playoffs. Well, if you don't count fishing. When your lineup starts with J-Kidd, Jose, Jet, and Dirk, you're not gonna get a lot of defensive stops when you need them, it's not rocket science. We have one two-player on the entire roster, one (old) facilitator, who can't really shoot, a dribble machine midget (i absolutely love the guy, he's the only one who attacks the freakin' rim) we have one banger, but he is undersized, and is far from being an inside presence.

On the top of that, we don't have a lockdown defender, we don't have the above mentioned inside presence. We never had. That's why Dirk is still underrated, and even if he is far from being a premier two-way player, he's probably the most unique offensive force in the history of the NBA. If he ever had that impact post player... Or the effing reffing never happens in the finals... Well, f**k it. We're gonna win it one day...

Last edited by Feel the Bass; 04-12-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Feel the Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #31
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Well I think the reason why Dampier doesn't play in the 4th is because if he plays more than 30 minutes a game then his contract is gonna be guaranteed in 2010-2011 season making it hard to trade him...I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
LonghornDub

Quote:
And during the gameday thread a lot of posters are cutting their words short because they want to post while the play is happening. When a poster says: "Damp, that was dumb"... another poster shouldn't have to be told why it was dum,b because if that poster was watching the game they can probably guess why that poster said it. It may have been a bobble off his shin, a dumb hanging on the rim, etc.
You're right. "Kidd is useless" is clearly GDT shorthand that arises because a person doesn't have time to type 10-15 additional words, lest they miss the next play. It's got nothing to do with hyperbole at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayliss
Who said Kidd needed to be traded? Or are you using hyperbole to make your point? The same thing you were b*tching about other posters doing?
You got it. I'm making it all up. Nobody said that.

Why don't you go find it in the GDT yourself? It's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss
Who are the GDT trolls that you are talking about? Is it me that you are referring to? And how do you know those posters aren't keeping that in mind? Are you assuming they aren't?
My lord, I don't know how many times I have to say it: No, I am not talking about you. You are being hypersensitive. I am talking about other posters who were posting in the GDT.

Quote:
But just because the Mavs have flaws, why not talk about them during the game? What's the point of a gameday thread if you can't talk about what is going on during the game? Defeats the purpose.
I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer to you. I am not advocating that people shouldn't discuss things during the game. In fact, that's exactly what I am advocating. My point is that there is a (massive) difference between making points relevant to a game--e.g. "Kidd has been awful today and absolutely has to shoot when he's wide open, if this team is going to be successful"--versus taking those same points and stretching them into completely ridiculous exaggerations--e.g. "Kidd is useless."

And for the love of god, do not ask me again to go quote a bunch of people from the GDT. Every single quote I have mentioned is there--go find it yourself if you want to play the skeptic.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #33
Bayliss

Quote:
You're right. "Kidd is useless" is clearly GDT shorthand that arises because a person doesn't have time to type 10-15 additional words, lest they miss the next play. It's got nothing to do with hyperbole at all.
Dtown clarified his words later. But everyone knew what he meant. Or at least most of us did.

Quote:
My lord, I don't know how many times I have to say it: No, I am not talking about you. You are being hypersensitive. I am talking about other posters who were posting in the GDT.
And like I said... which posters? There were around 10 of us that said the same thing. If we are all saying the same thing, how are you differentiating the trolls from the nontrolls?

Quote:
I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer to you. I am not advocating that people shouldn't discuss things during the game. In fact, that's exactly what I am advocating. My point is that there is a (massive) difference between making points relevant to a game--e.g. "Kidd has been awful today and absolutely has to shoot when he's wide open, if this team is going to be successful"--versus taking those same points and stretching them into completely ridiculous exaggerations--e.g. "Kidd is useless."
Can you not read between the lines or are you that literal? Kidd is useless if: a or b happens. The poster shouldn't have to list a or b every game day thread so that you understand. You can figure it out.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

Can you really blame the Mavs for that loss? When West can't miss? When Paul is getting every call for him? When Dirk is being subjected to a ridiculous amount of contact and not getting any calls? When Kidd has an off night shooting (it happens...)? When Peja hits a stupid 3 from the corner with a hand in his face despite being off all night?

Yes, Damp should have played more. Dirk should have got more shots. Dirk should have drove more. Josh and Kidd and Terry should have stepped up. Wright shouldn't have sucked...really, really sucked. On and on and on.

But while I hate the Hornet's, their hypocritical coach, their show-boating, classless players, their freakin anouncer, I am okay with one loss right here. I wish we could have pulled it out, but I'm not overly pissed about this one. I am pissed...but I understand why we lost.

We didn't roll over and die, and I can't question their effort. That's all.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #35
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I do think you guys are overreacting to some degree.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #36
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

All I can say, do not get excited by the recent play of the mavs - they just proved that they can't win on the road, and chances are, they'll get beaten by better teams at home too.

This is going to be 2003-2004 all over again. Mavs will lose in the first round in 4 or 5 really close, down to the wire games.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #37
LonghornDub

Quote:
And like I said... which posters? There were around 10 of us that said the same thing. If we are all saying the same thing, how are you differentiating the trolls from the nontrolls?
This is just completely inaccurate. If you really think all of you were saying the same thing, I don't know what else to say. You clearly haven't actually read the GDT (which is no surprise, since you're usually too busy posting the same four or five things over and over--but hey, at least your thoughts tend to be sensible).

Quote:
Can you not read between the lines or are you that literal? Kidd is useless if: a or b happens. The poster shouldn't have to list a or b every game day thread so that you understand. You can figure it out.
This is a cop-out and an awful excuse utilized by people who consistently don't mean what they say. It's astonishingly easy to make a ridiculous claim and then later come back and say that you really meant something different and people should have figured that out. Yes, I am more than capable of discerning when somebody meant to narrowly tailor a statement more than they did; but that doesn't excuse the speaker's responsibility to say what he means.

And it's not as though my point here doesn't have some practical relevance. The best posters on this board hardly ever post on the GDT's anymore, which is disappointing to me. The biggest reason for those folks' absence is that the are GDT's littered with nonsensical banter from people who either don't know what they are talking about, or, if they do, don't choose their words carefully (and just so you don't get all defensive again, no, I am not talking about you).

Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #38
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Does anybody know our early game day record?
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #39
Bayliss

Quote:
his is just completely inaccurate. If you really think all of you were saying the same thing, I don't know what else to say. You clearly haven't actually read the GDT (which is no surprise, since you're usually too busy posting the same four or five things over and over--but hey, at least your thoughts tend to be sensible).
That's cute. And you were talking about me being sensitive?

Quote:
This is a cop-out and an awful excuse utilized by people who consistently don't mean what they say. It's astonishingly easy to make a ridiculous claim and then later come back and say that you really meant something different and people should have figured that out. Yes, I am more than capable of discerning when somebody meant to narrowly tailor a statement more than they did; but that doesn't excuse the speaker's responsibility to say what he means.
Then you don't understand at all. A gameday thread has a short window to post. Some posters don't want to sit there and post a lot of words about a subject that happened in the first quarter when it is now the 3rd quarter. That is why a lot of the gameday thread posts are short. So yes, you can discern. You choose not ot do that. You instead get pissed that posters are saying it short and sweet in the gameday thread and then b*tch at the lack of posting during the thread.

Quote:
And it's not as though my point here doesn't have some practical relevance. The best posters on this board hardly ever post on the GDT's anymore, which is disappointing to me. The biggest reason for those folks' absence is that the are GDT's littered with nonsensical banter from people who either don't know what they are talking about, or, if they do, don't choose their words carefully (and just so you don't get all defensive again, no, I am not talking about you).
Or it could meanm that many of the posters don't want to be bullied for their thoughts and opinions on the Mavs. There is a reason why many posters have left the board that were posting back in 2002. And it has nothing to do with the influx of new posters. It has everything to do with how those posters are treated. The same way you are treating the "game day posters" right now.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #40
LonghornDub

Quote:
That's cute. And you were talking about me being sensitive?
Yes, because you are. Very much so. So much so, in fact, that you jump to your own defense when a person hasn't even addressed you in a negative way.

I'm not sure what's "cute" about what I said, but as you demonstrated in the one post in the GDT where I actually was addressing you, you do seem to enjoy a good non sequitur. So I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Then you don't understand at all. A gameday thread has a short window to post. Some posters don't want to sit there and post a lot of words about a subject that happened in the first quarter when it is now the 3rd quarter. That is why a lot of the gameday thread posts are short. So yes, you can discern. You choose not ot do that. You instead get pissed that posters are saying it short and sweet in the gameday thread and then b*tch at the lack of posting during the thread.
Are you actually claiming that stuff like "Carlisle should be fired for this game" gets written simply because people don't have enough time to write something more sensible? I'm curious--do you actually believe that, or are you just grasping at straws because you don't have anything else? Either way, it's troubling.

Quote:
Or it could meanm that many of the posters don't want to be bullied for their thoughts and opinions on the Mavs. There is a reason why many posters have left the board that were posting back in 2002. And it has nothing to do with the influx of new posters. It has everything to do with how those posters are treated. The same way you are treating the "game day posters" right now.
I am quite certain--no, I am absolutely positive--that Flac, chum, KG, dude (although he was there today), and the like are not scared of being "bullied" for their thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-12-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Tags
head meet wall, the decline of d-m.com, ugh