Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another reason why stack is valuable.

Avery needs a player who will tell him he's full of crapola, in fact all bosses need that type of employee around.

Quote:
Avery Johnson often mentions how successful the Mavs are when Jerry Stackhouse has four or more assists. For the record, the Mavs are 10-1 in those games this season, including last night's win.

Stack, however, finds all this focus on assists funny.

"He can't shoot!" Stack said of Avery. "He's an assists guy. He loves passes."

Not that Stack has anything against giving up the rock. He just never wants to go into a game worrying about how many assists he'll get. He figures if he's aggressive and makes good decisions, all that will take care of itself.

For instance, Stack was going to the rack late in last night's win over the Suns when he saw Dirk's man cheating toward him. Stack kicked it out to Dirk at the top of the arc for a 3 that Avery called the biggest play of the night.

"I joke about it with these guys all the time," Stack said. "I've got 16,000 points. They're going to come double-team. Guys expect me to be aggressive and score. Then, all of the sudden, they leave the MVP wide open."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

that pass to dirk...one word sick... it was fluid and you know, they have to have rehearsed that pass in practice. it was good to see the mavs win a game, but use some style to do so.

Last edited by skylive321; 12-20-2007 at 11:47 AM.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
diop it like its hot

diop it like its hot will become famous soon enoughdiop it like its hot will become famous soon enough

that was a good pass, but for the most part I cringed every time Stack was in the game last night. He is going to hurt us in a big game this year, I can feel it.
diop it like its hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's getting a little harder to see what role Stack will be playing with Jones and George getting healthy again. Stack still seems like he just wants to chuck it up from the sound of those quotes. He also must have been referring to the Knicks about leaving the MVP wide open hahaha.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Stack > Jones >George

George is a waste of time, Jones is good..can hit shots and play some D..Stack fearless player and can still deliver....

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

"He can't shoot!" Stack said of Avery. "He's an assists guy. He loves passes."

You can't shoot either Stack. And a lot of those 16000 points you scored were at the line and since you don't get there anymore.... you might want to listen to your coach.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Man, I have been one of the biggest Stack haters in this city, particularly his pass/no pass decisions. But man, he's a great guy to have on your bench. He can shoot and he can score. If you leave him open, he can make you pay. He won't back down. He always let's that shot fly with full confidence. He also doesn't get in a lot of ref trouble. Yea, he's old, but he's got a good role on this team. My main beef with Stack is more with Avery's love affair for him.

Yes, he will probably loose us at least one big game this year, but will probably also deliver us at least one.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Stackhouse is a knife fighter. We need those types of guys.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Stack > Jones >George

George is a waste of time, Jones is good..can hit shots and play some D..Stack fearless player and can still deliver....
Obviously hustle type of players (role players) are not high on your list of importance. To me George and Jones are vital to this team in that category in all the hustle categories including defense. Stackhouse however is not needed as we got many options on offense (Dirk, Howard, Terry, and Harris)

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 12-20-2007 at 04:06 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
i'm a knife fighter
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who thinks Stack isn't needed really just isn't appreciating that there is more to basketball than shooting percentage.

Stack is a tough mofo. I seriously think that if you removed him from this roster the Mavs would be the softest team in the NBA. With him, we're singlehandedly closer toward the middle of the pack.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Stack and Josh are the only two with the "hit them first" mentality. We can't lose Stack.

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stack and Josh are the only two with the "hit them first" mentality. We can't lose Stack.
"They're knife fighters." - JVG

Old 12-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
alby
Guru

Quote:
too bad JVG didn't have any in Houston lol. The only one he had, he benched. (Bonzi)

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
too bad JVG didn't have any in Houston lol. The only one he had, he benched. (Bonzi)
T-mac's not a knife fighter?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
alby
Guru

haha nice

I didn't really believe it before, but after the first couple months of the season, T-Mac might be the most fragile player in the entire NBA. I am referring to both mentally and physically.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-20-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
LonghornDub

The only problem is when someone brings a gun to a knife fight...

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-20-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

it's a tough argument but you can present me with all the turnovers and missed baseline three pointers under stack's belt and I always counter with his one point that sold his value to me. GAME 4 of the miami finals series. everyone in the backcourt, stack chases shaq to deliver the flagrant. He's ballsy. simple. plus, I always use his name when he makes a great play. and my made up chant is: WHOSE HOUSE??? to which my fellow mav fans respond: STACKHOUSE!!

Last edited by skylive321; 12-20-2007 at 05:55 PM.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
alby
Guru

Who do you think would win an alley fight?

Sjax or Artest

and if you think Artest

Artest or Big Ben

any more matchups you can think of?

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
LonghornDub

Quote:
Who do you think would win an alley fight?

Sjax or Artest

and if you think Artest

Artest or Big Ben

any more matchups you can think of?
I think Artest would win. He and SJax are equally crazy, but Artest is thicker. Nastiest wins over size (Big Ben) every time.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
alby
Guru

So Artest beats Sjax
and Artest beats Big Ben

anyone that could beat Artest?

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #22
LonghornDub

Quote:
So Artest beats Sjax
and Artest beats Big Ben

anyone that could beat Artest?
In the NBA? I dunno. I'm thinkin probably not. There are some NFL players that could take Artest though. Merriman comes to mind.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #23
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
The only problem is when someone brings a gun to a knife fight...

haha or brings his gun anywhere he goes
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In the NBA? I dunno. I'm thinkin probably not. There are some NFL players that could take Artest though. Merriman comes to mind.
what about Ray Lewis? He's already proven a willingness to kill people.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
what about Ray Lewis? He's already proven a willingness to kill people.
I think Ray Lewis from 4-5 years ago would have a good shot. Current Ray Lewis is a has-been. I also think he's like a born-again Christian or whatever so I don't think he's as crazy as he once was.

Merriman is straight nuts.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #26
alby
Guru

So Merriman > Artest
and Merriman > Ray Lewis

What about Artest v. Ray

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #27
LonghornDub

Quote:
So Merriman > Artest
and Merriman > Ray Lewis

What about Artest v. Ray
That's a tough one. May have to stew on that.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
T-mac's not a knife fighter?
Of course T-macs a knife fighter...... the only problem is that he keeps fighting from undergoing the knife, and stays hurt all the time.

The knife he fights is called a scalpel. Knee, ankle, back -- etc.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is a valuable guy who has a place on this team, but he really doesn't need to play more than 15 minutes regularly.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #30
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Stack is a valuable guy who has a place on this team, but he really doesn't need to play more than 15 minutes regularly.
I'll gladly let him have extra minutes a game if it keeps him here. I don't know if I like him playing at the very end of close games, but there's just no way he was gonna stay here for 15 a game.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #31
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So Merriman > Artest
and Merriman > Ray Lewis

What about Artest v. Ray
I will take dennis rodman. freaking psychooooooo
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #32
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see Stack play fewer minutes and I cringe every time he dribbles of his foot, or stands flatfooted watching some young athlete blow by.

But I do understand why Avery likes him, trusts him, and gives him too many minutes. Heart, guts, mental toughness. Stack brings that stuff in spades, and is probably the guy teaching it to Howard and Harris. I mean really, what other 33 year old shooting guard with weak knees gets suspended for whacking Shaq. He's Mr Testicles. I just want Avery to yank him when we need good D, because with Jones and Hassell, we have better defensive options than ever.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #33
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
I would love to see Stack play fewer minutes and I cringe every time he dribbles of his foot, or stands flatfooted watching some young athlete blow by.

But I do understand why Avery likes him, trusts him, and gives him too many minutes. Heart, guts, mental toughness. Stack brings that stuff in spades, and is probably the guy teaching it to Howard and Harris. I mean really, what other 33 year old shooting guard with weak knees gets suspended for whacking Shaq. He's Mr Testicles. I just want Avery to yank him when we need good D, because with Jones and Hassell, we have better defensive options than ever.
The way Stack dribbles sometimes really troubles me as well. He has entirely too many near-turnovers where he loses his dribble when he's not even moving.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #34
SkullLeader

SkullLeader is a jewel in the roughSkullLeader is a jewel in the roughSkullLeader is a jewel in the roughSkullLeader is a jewel in the rough

dirk will kick the crap out of artest in a fist fight. Word.
SkullLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #35
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
i could be a knife fighter for $8M a year.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #36
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Ray Lewis from 4-5 years ago would have a good shot. Current Ray Lewis is a has-been. I also think he's like a born-again Christian or whatever so I don't think he's as crazy as he once was.

Merriman is straight nuts.

you guys have missed one nut job. Bill Romanowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(when he was a bronco)
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #37
alby
Guru

talking about the NFL opens up a whole new can of worms, let's stick with the NBA =]

Contact Me
Old 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Stack's toughness is waaaaay overrated. He's beaten up two people...Christian Laettner and Kirk Snyder. A fruit and a dude from Nevada...not impressed.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #39
alby
Guru

^ hahah

Contact Me
Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #40
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
Stack's toughness is waaaaay overrated. He's beaten up two people...Christian Laettner and Kirk Snyder. A fruit and a dude from Nevada...not impressed.
He also knocked a basketball genie (anybody see Kazaam?) to the floor about as hard as he's ever been knocked. That gets props from me.

Tags
stack house = log cabin