Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-16-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard anyone, coaches, media, explain why Esch didn't even play a minute in the post season. Was he injured, in the doghouse or what? I am curious.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I am curious as well. He should have gotten at least a look. He couldn't have done any worse than Bradley.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well.. i'm not curious because i know the answer..he doesn't fit nellie's style.

however, knowing the answer doesn't mean i agree with esch not playing
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:12 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

He did get a little time in the minnesota series. He probably played just about as much as any of the 12th men on all of the playoff teams. I just don't think he brings enough to the table to even put in for a little bit. Bradley can make an impact because of height.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I thought by the post season it is to late to try experiments.

that said I am baffled that he didn't get some minutes during the regualar season to find out what this guy is about.

Hopefully next year.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

He played well at the end of the season - I thought he deserved a little playing time in the playoffs but...
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

also baffled why he didn't receive more playing time in the regular season..
but, i believe it's probably just because he doesn't fit nellie's style
Old 05-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< He played well at the end of the season - I thought he deserved a little playing time in the playoffs but... >>

Esch was working his way into the rotation a little it seems before he got hurt. After that it seemed najera was soaking up a lot of minutes.

To tell you the truth nellie also played his starters too many minutes during the regular season and especially in trying to win the midwest. He admitted as much during an interview with norm hitzges. Said that he would probably use his rotation a little different this year because he is sure that we will make the playoffs. Should be good to get a lot more players involved.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Kat

But...but...but...wait a minute....I recall reading after Esch had a few good games, before he hurt his ankle, that Nellie asked,&quot; where have you been all this time&quot;, and he said,&quot;at the end of the bench coach.&quot; Then he hurt his ankle.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

but, but, but..
?
hmm..

well, i'll keep my calm
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
anyways, it would be nice to see what he's worth if you're going to sign him to a good-sized contract.

that's all we're looking for

is he the answer inside? no, probably not. Hopefully the mavs will address that issue by getting a player that can provide some good defensive minutes
Old 05-16-2002, 10:22 PM   #11
Mavs4Fin

Mavs4Fin is on a distinguished road

why sign the guy ti a multi year deal if he dont fit the system? someone care to explain for me.
Mavs4Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:25 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

<< but, but, but..
?
hmm..

well, i'll keep my calm
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
anyways, it would be nice to see what he's worth if you're going to sign him to a good-sized contract.

that's all we're looking for

is he the answer inside? no, probably not. Hopefully the mavs will address that issue by getting a player that can provide some good defensive minutes
>>

Do you mean another contract?? He's under contract for a while now isn't he?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

do i mean another contract?
for esch?..no..of course not...why would he get another contract if he's already being paid to sit on the bench and twiddle his thumbs..

hoping the mavs make a move to help provide some interior defense
Old 05-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #14
Kat

A large one. For someone that didn't play much. Like ole' Crad-ley.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:31 AM   #15
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Maybe Esch simply didn´t play because of small-ball, his early season injury that kept him out of flow and rotation all the time, his missing ball-handling abilities and the Nellie idea of backing up Raef by Dirk?
Old 05-17-2002, 01:56 AM   #16
Mavs4Fin

Mavs4Fin is on a distinguished road

didnt nellie know he didnt exactly handle the ball well when they signed him, and then when they put him on the playoff roster? why not put avery on the playoff roster, they said he would be ready by the 2nd round?
Mavs4Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:02 AM   #17
dude1394
Guru

<< didnt nellie know he didnt exactly handle the ball well when they signed him, and then when they put him on the playoff roster? why not put avery on the playoff roster, they said he would be ready by the 2nd round? >>

I believe the thinking was that they would need Esch's fouls against shaquille assuming that they got past minn, sac..... In retrospect you can make a case for avery against Sac because their backout outplayed ours so badly. I never would have expected it, and supported the move to not have avery.

Probably in either case he would have only played a few minutes without impact. Leadership abilities were still provided on the bench.

He seemed ok handling the ball(not dribbling) but that shot, whew....
Old 05-25-2002, 08:17 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

<< I am curious as well. He should have gotten at least a look. He couldn't have done any worse than Bradley. >>

He didn't play because the problem with our defense was the perimeter, not the inside guys. Bibby scored +8 per game more than his average. Webber +1, Vlade +4.5.

Rebs (Sac-Dall) 47-39
47-48
47-38
54-41
43-40

We really need to do a better job of team rebounding.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:22 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

there was a problem with the inside defense. Don't let them off scott free. However, the bigger problem was with the perimeter defense.