Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happened to Mayo?

Shooting was his best attribute coming into the season, and now it is arguably his worst. I get that his shoulder is hurt, but that shooing has been on a downhill trend for some time now. Not a good thing when a shooting guard can no longer shoot.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

The dude fell off the face of the earth once Dirk came back from his injury.

Remember he dropped 40 at Houton?

The November/December Ovinton is the one I would re-sign.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 04-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Reality, nothing else, really. Realistically, he's an average 3rd option on a contender, and a good 4th option. You ask him more, and you get a wildly inconsistent, mediocre player. His best role would 6th man, but he's terrible when he's coming off the bench, so that's out of the question. I wouldn't sign him for more than 6 million, if anybody wants to overpay, wish him luck.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 04-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

When Jet was off, he at least created easy shots for Dirk.

When Mayo is off he is a negative presence on the court. Non factor on offense and a huge "minus" on defense.

Yesterday late in the 4th replace Mayo with Deshawn Stevenson and you get a W.

Last edited by markus1234; 04-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
The dude fell off the face of the earth once Dirk came back from his injury.

Remember he dropped 40 at Houton?

The November/December Ovinton is the one I would re-sign.
I always am amused by "throwing up 40" type arguments. So did roddy, so has andre miller (who I would love on this team). But the argument that someone gets hot and that translates into 82 games is pretty suspect to me.

As Galloway would say, watch the dang games.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Reality, nothing else, really. Realistically, he's an average 3rd option on a contender, and a good 4th option. You ask him more, and you get a wildly inconsistent, mediocre player. His best role would 6th man, but he's terrible when he's coming off the bench, so that's out of the question. I wouldn't sign him for more than 6 million, if anybody wants to overpay, wish him luck.
yup
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

mavs were better with morrow on the floor last night. lead was lost when mayo came back into the game.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
When Jet was off, he at least created easy shots for Dirk.

When Mayo is off he is a negative presence on the court. Non factor on offense and a huge "minus" on defense.

Yesterday late in the 4th replace Mayo with Deshawn Stevenson and you get a W.
I'd love to remember JET as such. But I don't recall the constant feeling of if JET was off, at least he will create easy shots for Dirk. I remember him launching wild ass shots to shoot his way back into it. The major difference between the two is experience and testicle-BALLS. Jet had big'ens.

Also, I doubt just replacing D Steve with Mayo last night gets the W. WE HAD the damn game won and Dirk turned the ball over! The rebounding on the missed free throws hurt but turning the ball over on the most important possession of the game was dookie. We can't even get a shot off, without a clean and easy steal?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

I have extremely conflicting feelings about Mayo. There's no question he's had huge issues once Dirk came back. Of late his injury is certainly having an impact but with how far he's degraded I'm not sure he'd be worth signing back. The issue is now you have the issue of filling that spot. If you try another 1 year, I fear hero ball tendencies. If you try to go long term and fail chemistry-wise. Well, there goes the rest of Dirk's career.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how they could justify matching a really nice offer for him. If someone wants to pay him $5.00 more than he is worth let him go. Too inconsistent and doesn't have the intangibles. We don't need more quiet guys.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Also, I doubt just replacing D Steve with Mayo last night gets the W. WE HAD the damn game won and Dirk turned the ball over! The rebounding on the missed free throws hurt but turning the ball over on the most important possession of the game was dookie. We can't even get a shot off, without a clean and easy steal?
Two possessions

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?ga...78844&period=4

2:05 Vince Carter makes 21-foot jumper 94-91
1:47 94-93 Andre Miller makes 10-foot two point shot
1:47 O.J. Mayo shooting foul (Andre Miller draws the foul) 94-93
1:47 Mavericks Full timeout

0:07 Nuggets Full timeout
0:07 Jae Crowder enters the game for Darren Collison 94-93
0:02 94-95 Andre Iguodala makes driving layup
0:02 Mavericks 20 Sec. timeout

Miller, Brewer and Igodala killed us. And Mayo failed miserably.

If you think it is on Dirk, OK. I accept your opinon. IMO it was -all night long- on our backcourt (bad defense, bad spacing).

Last edited by markus1234; 04-05-2013 at 11:59 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Two possessions

If you think it is on Dirk, OK. I accept your opinon. IMO it was on our backcourt (bad defense, bad spacing).

I appreciate that you accept my opinion that it was on Dirk. I wish you would agree. You can NOT turn the ball over in that situation. You have to get a shot. Milk the clock and get a shot or a foul. Instead we have Dirk out by the 3 pt line in the middle, where he has defenders on each side.

Andre Miller was in a period of owning anyone that tried to guard him. Idk, why they didn't back off a little and make him shoot it. Instead he up and unders everyone for 10 seconds until he gets a free layup a cpl times.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Two possessions

If you think it is on Dirk, OK. I accept your opinon. IMO it was on our backcourt (bad defense, bad spacing).

I appreciate that you accept my opinion that it was on Dirk. I wish you would agree. You can NOT turn the ball over in that situation. You have to get a shot. Milk the clock and get a shot or a foul. Instead we have Dirk out by the 3 pt line in the middle, where he has defenders on each side.

Andre Miller was in a period of owning anyone that tried to guard him. Idk, why they didn't back off a little and make him shoot it. Instead he up and unders everyone for 10 seconds until he gets a free layup a cpl times.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
this.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Who says Mayo will use his player option and opt out?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
That's a valid point. The way he performed early on, it would make sense to opt out. Now, not so much.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I don't see how they could justify matching a really nice offer for him. If someone wants to pay him $5.00 more than he is worth let him go. Too inconsistent and doesn't have the intangibles. We don't need more quiet guys.
Bingo. He seems to often play very "small." He actually racks up assists and rebounds quite nicely but somehow I can forget he is on the court.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Given the wall that his offensive production seems to have hit, it's not an unreasonable question. But I have to think, for example, based on the way Rick has praised his work ethic throughout the year, that Dallas would be happy to re-sign him with a modest raise to a three-year deal with a player option after year two. Surely he'd prefer the longer-term security and the short path to Bird Rights if that's all the market had to offer, right? And that's not even getting into the possibilities of what impulse-buying front offices like Detroit's might do in free agency.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Bingo. He seems to often play very "small." He actually racks up assists and rebounds quite nicely but somehow I can forget he is on the court.
I often think it's too bad he doesn't have just a tiny bit more point-guard skill so that he could be used as a 6th-man combo guard.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

He seems pretty flawed to me. I have a difficult time figuring out what his real strengths are. It's not athleticism, it's not smarts, it's not defense, it's not cajones under pressure, he doesnt draw fouls and he doesnt rebound. He does have a nice step back move ( about the only one I've really seen ) and he appears to be able to hit a three point shot when open.

He looks like a 5 million dude at best tbh.

Last edited by dude1394; 04-05-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
He seems pretty flawed to me. I have a difficult time figuring out what his real strengths are. It's not athleticism, it's not smarts, it's not defense, it's not cajones under pressure, he doesnt draw fouls and he doesnt rebound. He does have a nice step back move ( about the only one I've really seen ) and he appears to be able to hit a three point shot when open.

Sold

Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

When Coach says that Carter is the only guy on the team that can get his own shot, that's a pretty damning indictment of OJ.

I like the balance and control with which OJ plays the game, and I can tell he's made some big strides as a facilitator this year. He's even developed some good chemistry with Dirk on the P&R. My favorite play from this whole season was OJ's block and alley-oop to Vince Carter for a three. But at some point he has to be able to show some ability to create efficiently and impose his will on a game.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

this
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

You forget the blackhole the 2 position has been since Finley left. Greg Buckner, Adrian Griffin, Jet was really too small on D and it killed us but his scoring made up for it, Stevenson played the best basketball of his career in 2011 so that worked briefly. Honestly given that list Mayo is right up there for the best 2 we've had (Jet wasn't really a two).
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Agreed, just like I felt Kidd being your 2nd leading scorer would net nothing but a 1st round exit. Mayo's best attribute is as the 3rd, probably 4th option. Mean's you'd need a DWill or Chris Paul at the point....or maybe a Rudy Gay at the 3.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote