Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2002, 08:23 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Problems in the Playoffs, or possibly upset LA. He mentioned that the Spurs could be trouble if David Robinson came back. he mentioned how good the Kings were also. He didnt say one word about DALLAS?? NOT ONE!!. WOW- Dallas is playing real damn good right now- I cant beleive he didnt have anything to say about them?
Old 04-30-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that's just phil..he's not gonna give dallas any credit because of cuban's antics...

the same way that nellie doesn't say what he thinks half the time,..well, phil's doing the same thing here
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

he's doing it deliberately. he's trying to maintain that mental edge that he feels the lakers still hold over the mavs. phil acts condenscendingly on purpose to infuriate the opponent and to get in their heads. the mavs will make sure that they can't be ignored in the WCF.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:29 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it's just phil..it's annoying...but it's just the way phil is.
i don't even think it's to have a mental edge.. it's just him being a jackass because he can
Old 04-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
NYMavFan

why the hell does everyone always make the statement "it's just so-and-so being so-and-so?"

what the hell is that supposed to mean? it reminds me of when everyone on the sonics was just saying "that's just gary being gary" last season when payton was being a jackass and destroying the team. it wasn't gary just being gary. it was gary being an immature, selfish baby who sulked when he didn't get his way. it's a meaningless statement that doesn't explain anything.

phil is being cocky and he's doing it on purpose. it adds to his mystique as the coach with 8 rings, and as long as the lakers keep winning, it keeps him "above" everyone else. if you don't think that gives the lakers a mental edge, just watch how apprehensive the mavs play against the lakers as compared to the other teams in this league.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

It's because he hates the mavs. You know why he hates the Mavs??? Because he is secretly scared of them, so obviously he must have a laxadazical demeanor on dallas, he doesn't want them to smell a blood or a ray of weakness.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

nymavsfan, i hate it as well..but it is phil just being phil...
that's just the way he is. i can't stand it..and he knows it irks the mavs fans and even the players, coaches, and cuban..
that's why he does it.

it doesn't make him any less of a jackass...but that's just the way he is
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2002, 09:43 PM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< if you don't think that gives the lakers a mental edge, just watch how apprehensive the mavs play against the lakers as compared to the other teams in this league. >>

The mavs play apprehensive against the Lakers because of a certain 7-foot unstoppable force that has regularly dominated them. What PJ says doesn't mean much compared to that.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Phil realizes that the Mavs have the best shot of any tournament team to unseat his lekers. He is the nervous one.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:45 PM   #10
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Remember the last regular season Lakers-Mavs game, when Phil made those ridiculous time-out's near the end? I think Phil's got to be a little worried about the Mavs, and not mentioning them is part of his way to try to keep that psychological edge. The Kings? The Lakers aren't worried about the Kings at all. They totally own C-Webb's behind.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:59 AM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think EVERYTHING Phil says has some sort of &quot;thought&quot; behind it. The fact that he mentioned the Kings and Spurs, knowing him, he has some philosophy behind it. He probably thinks that it will make them lose some of their intensity while NOT mentioning the mavs would make the Mavs lose focus... Who knows, since nothing that comes out of this mans mouth seems to be real I simply can't believe anything he has to say anyway.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:05 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

phil is looking for an edge..anyway he can get it.. of course there's a philosophy..looking for any type of mental edge..and being a jackass at the same time
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 10:43 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

I don't know how true this is, but the other day I was in &quot;Mr. Beef&quot; here in Chicago. Maybe you've all heard of it, it's a little hole in the wall that's pretty famous for all the celebrities that eats there. Anyway, I was there eating and Norm Van Leer came in. (He's a commentator for the Bulls and he's a former Bulls player himself) He was telling some people a story about how cocky Phil Jackson is. He was saying how after a playoff game the Bulls had against the Pacers he and Phil had a run in with each other, He said, &quot;During the game when the refs called a foul on Jordan, Phil got upset. We showed the replay on TV and I said, yeah, Mike fouled him, good call by the refs. Well Phil got wind of this and the next day during the media session, Phil came up to me and said, &quot;Norm don't even talk to me right now, I can't believe you would talk down on the team that you're suppose to be supporting.&quot; Norm replied, &quot;All I did was tell the truth, what's the problem with that.&quot; He said then Phil got really pissed all of a sudden and got cocky also and said, &quot;Norm, you wouldn't know anything about this level, it's championship time that's why you're just a commentator.&quot; I guess that really pissed Van Leer off and he pulled Jackson away from the other reporters who were listening so he wouldn't embarrass him enough but one of the reporters was still able to hear. He said, &quot;You know what Phil, first of all if Jordan wasn't here, YOU wouldn't know anything about championship play. You're so used to riding coat tails, you even did it as a player, remember you came off the bench and didn't even get a lot of time, while I played and hold records, so don't hand me any of this shit because I will kick your ass if you don't watch yourself.&quot;

I guess he walked off after that and supposedly, Jackson apologized to him later and said he was just bitter about the loss. I don't know how true that is, but that's the story I heard last week. I hope it's true, someone needs to put that conceded ass in his place!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:57 AM   #14
DTL
Diamond Member

From a &quot;David&quot;'s post at the DB.com board (link)

Jackson's attitude towards the Mavs goes back to March 12, 1998. That's the game where the Mavs beat the Jordan led Bulls down at Reunion. I was at that game. I have the stub and I have the tape.
Rewind.
Bulls up less than two minutes and the mavs come back to tie on Ced Caballos Miracle 3 pointer. In overtime the Mavs blow away Jordan and the Bulls. Jackson left the court before the game was over. That was one of Jackson's worst regular season loss ever. He's never forgotten it, I believe. I say that because he always seems to take a shot at the Mavericks whenever he can. Oh by the way, after Sunday's game, Jackson said that win puts the lakers in a champs mode. How does getting your ass kicked by 16 fit that?

Wouldn't surprise me if Phil's the type who bears a grduge.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:09 AM   #15
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I just don't care what Jackson says. There are some basketball minds out there who's opinion I value his isn't one of them.

The guy has won the lottery twice.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:23 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

grbh, I'm SO much in agreement with you on that one.

Even though when it's all said and done, he's going to go down as one of the greatest coaches because he may actually get something I think only one other coach has, 10 rings! He can conceivably get that and you know what, it's horse........ Van Gundy had a point, he said he respects Riley more than Jackson because Riley has walked into situations that were bad and has made the teams competitive. While Jackson has YET to do that. Now I can't say I blame him but he has yet to show ME what makes him so great. He does a good job of handling ego's but it's easy when you have a SHAQ on your team and a JORDAN on your team. Regardless of how great your other playes think they are, they can EASILY be put back in their place.. So in my opinion, that dude has won the lottery. Now if he goes into a Golden State and even takes that team to the playoffs, I'll tip my hat to him. I'd be willing to bet he couldn't even have a winning season.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:27 AM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Absolutely.

You are tight if he turns at team around then I will give him his due, but what has he ever done. I am not saying he is a bad coach merely that the jury is still out on PJ.

I will give him this though he knows how to pick his situations well.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:29 PM   #18
LAKESHOW

LAKESHOW is on a distinguished road

folks, lets be serious here. the reality of the situation is that the mavs are 1-40somethin against the LAKERS. if that aint domination, i dont know what is. against the top echelon teams in the West, the LAKERS are 9-3. losing once to each the kings, mavs and spurs. in the case of the mavericks, they've only won against us a few times in a few years. once in the past 2?!? so lets lay the foundation down for fear and domination in which some of you are mentioning above. we FEAR NO ONE! thats not hate, thats just the truth. and until the mavs can make it past the 1st round. or until the kings can make it past the LAKERS. or until the spurs can make it past the BIG MENTAL BLOCK. there is no reason to address your team.

not hatin . . . just tellin the truth.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:39 PM   #19
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

you're absolutely right, lakeshow, the lakers have nothing to fear. they don't need to worry about the mavs, heck, don't even gameplan. the mavs will just show up at staples in a couple of weeks with autograph pads in hand and watch phil empty the ballrack and sit in the fifth row and read his zen book while tex teaches the triangle offense.

don't think twice about it...

Old 05-01-2002, 01:42 PM   #20
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

actually Lakeshow, we've made it past the first round the last 2 years. I realize the Lakers are the reigning champions and are still very much the favorites this year, but it might do you some good to actually pay attention to what happens in the league outside LA every once in a while.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:51 PM   #21
LAKESHOW

hahaha. okay folks, the mavs get props. BUT ONLY IF YOU GET BY THE KINGS. if your team can make it to the WCfinals, then we'll see about giving respect. remember now, the KINGS have the best record and a solid bench that is supposedly good enough to matchup with your own. some prognosticators believe that your team is good enough to get by the kings, but the kings have a knack for folding it in during crunchtime(easy to say with 350 lbs hittin you). but it still remains to be seen. the kings are the favorite, and nowitsky vs. c-webb is gonna be a great matchup to watch.

don't worry about us and the spurs . . . we will be there to meet the winner of your series . . .
Old 05-01-2002, 01:51 PM   #22
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Lakeshow,

You're point is well taken. But, the Lakers are flawed. More so this year than ever. You're team, while it fears no one, should be on a high alert status. Los Angeles in the second round will be playing againts one of two enemies: A Seattle team that has had success againts L.A., or a very pissed San Antonio team that was embarrassed. Either way, the series won't be a sweep. Neither will the Dal-Sac series. But, all the while, if both teams take care of business and they do meet as expected in the WCF, L.A. better hope to God in high heaven that they can slow down the Mavericks. There is no one, and I repeat no one in the NBA who can run with Dallas. You know it, too. Don't shy away from it. But, if it turns into a track meet, then L.A. won't be able to keep up. They're not equiped for that.

Bottom line, the L.A. story I feel will most certainly stop abruptly in Dallas. You say that Dallas has only one win? Well, that one win is all you need. It was the last time they played. They have the confidence. And, I assure you, Dallas is playing much better ball than L.A.

Regards,

The Lawyer in Training.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:53 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we talking about Phil Jackson and his arrogance??? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Phil Jackson hasn't coached 40 games against the Mavericks as a Laker's head coach either has he???? So if the Mavs have only one 1 game in the last 40 that means it came when Phil was coaching, and that gives us hope because we know we can beat a PHIL JACKSON COACHED TEAM!!!!!

Also fearing no one is the same thing that's going to get your team in trouble also.. The Mavs don't fear the Lakers either, two championships in the last two year, who cares it has to end sooner or later...

Old 05-01-2002, 01:57 PM   #24
LAKESHOW

reggae, pleeeeeze. this isnt a street game . . . its all about strategy. WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT RUNNING THAN L.A. we're the originators of 80's SHOWTIME. and here is fact #1 . . . run and gun doesnt win come playoff time. it looks good with magic and worthy and scott runnin up and down the court, but ultimately it boils down to execution in the half court game. and now your sayin that dallas executes in the half-court offense, better than the LAKERS?!? i think not . . .

not hatin, just tellin the truth.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:09 PM   #25
nekked

again, lakeshow, you're right...don't worry about our halfcourt offense. shaq can just stand in the middle and let wang and raef launch uncontested jumpers all day. or, if his big piggie is feeling better, he can venture out to cover them, and, oh, don't worry about nash and nickie v, they'll just be the guys shredding the paint after crossing over fisher until he hangs himself with his headband.

shhhhh, don't tell anybody....
Old 05-01-2002, 02:16 PM   #26
DTL
Diamond Member

<< WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT RUNNING THAN L.A. we're the originators of 80's SHOWTIME. >>

I love it when people use history selectively and in any way that suits their own preconceived notions.

Who knows more about running than L.A.? Are we talking about this current L.A. team? I thought so. So what does it matter that the Showtime Lakers of the '80s had a running game? Shaq and company certainly don't have a running game, and they'll be hard pressed to keep up with the Mavericks -- again, the Mavs of this year.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Mavs will win if we can push the tempo to slow down Shaq by exhausting him. The key to beating the Lakers cannot be trying to slow down Shaq's offensive game. Instead, it lies in trying to make Shaq play defense, make Shaq have to come out to defend the perimeter, make Shaq have to dash back for defense, make Shaq have to work both ends of the court.

PJ's not dumb. He knows this, too, and that's why he's worried.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:17 PM   #27
LAKESHOW

SHAQ hang in the paint?!? no way! although many a conspiracy theory has been brought up about this one. the truth is, he only hangs in the paint for 1-2 seconds at a time . . .

shhhh, dont tell anyone.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:17 PM   #28
grbh
Platinum Member

I agree Lakeshow. If the Mavs get to the WCF they are huge underdogs. I say Lakers in 5. My comments before were directed towards PJ who I may or may not be a great coach. Hard to tell with the teams he has had. I think there are a lot of guys out there who could have coached the Lakers and Bulls to titles.

Personally I think this team is built to contend with the Lakers next year and the year after. I think Shaq is slowing down. He has bad feet, he has put on a lot of weight, and I even read an article that there is some concern about his Kidney's due to antiinflamatory medicin he took in the past. Wisely he is staying away from that now, but what happens in a couple of years when it is either the meds or he does not play.

For Shaq to maintain his current level he is going to have to lose some weight, and I don't see that happening.

But for this year, you are right the Lakers are big favorites, though they don't frighten me as much as the previous 2.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:20 PM   #29
nekked

now, lakeshow, i'm not saying shaq's a dog...but they must be counting those 3 second calls in dog years...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 02:26 PM   #30
LAKESHOW

the reference to SHOWTIME was only addressing reggae, in the sense that there is a PRECEDENCE of knowledge about the game. the knowledge is that a RUNNING GAMEPLAN DOES NOT WORK IN PLAYOFF BASKETBALL. especially in the 4th quarter. i am a LAKER fan, who is imparting his wealth of experience and knowledge to maverick fans in regards to this area. for who in dallas can actually speak truthfully about playoff basketball? alright then?!? please, LAKESHOW does not wish to sound conceited. i am only humbly imparting basketball knowledge in regards to how the game is played in the playoffs . . .

and pleeeeze, lets not use the wolves as a gauge. they couldnt play D if their governor' life depended on it.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:01 PM   #31
NYMavFan

well, lakeshow, i guess the fact that you're showing up here on the board means that the lakers and all their fans are finally realizing that the mavs pose a serious threat to dethroning the lakers. otherwise, you wouldn't feel the need to spread your lakers gospel to us.

but at least you have good reason for your insecurity, as does phil. be afraid. be very afraid.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:06 PM   #32
LAKESHOW

wrong. i was an invited guest by some gentleman named DJsomethin . . . no insecurities . . . just simply accepting the invite.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:13 PM   #33
nekked

hey, i'm glad you're here. there's no debatin' if everyone's on the same side...
Old 05-01-2002, 03:14 PM   #34
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< wrong. i was an invited guest by some gentleman named DJsomethin . . . no insecurities . . . just simply accepting the invite. >>

DJBacklash, siteowner. And I was on that board Lakeshow. He went and invited *Sacramento* fans to come discuss the current series. I don't care why a Laker fan wants to be such a presence on Sacramento and now Dallas boards, but just to set the record straight :-)
Old 05-01-2002, 03:18 PM   #35
TheKid
Diamond Member

peronally I think you're somewhat entertaining Lakeshow, BUT we do have someone who knows about the Lakers. He was a former head coach known as Del Harris. We also have many coaches who have been part of winning teams, such as Moncrief, Nelson, Molkeski (or however you spell his name). These are people who know about the playoff atmosphere, not to mention yes the Mavs are a team that has ONE year of playoff experience under their belt, but experience nonetheless, it's NOT like this is their first year in the playoffs.

I've been hearing people say this stuff about this style of basketball doesn't win. It will only work against the lower tear teams, and not against the good teams. The Mavericks only managed to have one of the better records in the league and the best ROAD record in the NBA this year, but this style of basketball won't work right?? What about the fact that Dallas style won't work against a team that can run with them, the Wolves series was suppose to be a nail biter,, Well we swept them.. So now we're going against the best record in the west, before I even think about the Lakers (who in case you didn't know aren't the number 1 seed right now) have to play another team before they even have a chance of seeing Sac or Dallas so for now, I'll focus on Sac and I suggest you do them same. Come back during the Western conference finals.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #36
LAKESHOW

cmon hoopsmeister, neked spelled it out. what the heck is a site worth, if it aint got opposing opinion. LAKESHOW can flame with the best of 'em, i am well known . . . but on this board, i come in peace. simply wanting to debate the issues. true, dj gave an invite on a kings board, but he responded directly to LAKESHOW in assisting the process.

nevertheless, i agree. the mavericks are top 5 material. but nevertheless, the LAKERS are an organization that has been there done that. lets see your team get past the kings, and then we'll talk about rings . . . thats all im sayin . . . take one step at a time, before you bite off more than you can swallow . . .
Old 05-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #37
NYMavFan

<< wrong. i was an invited guest by some gentleman named DJsomethin . . . no insecurities . . . just simply accepting the invite. >>

sorry, lakeshow, the fact that you're here and feel the need to pump up your supposedly unbeatable lakers does show some insecurity--even if you don't know it yourself.

but anyway, glad you're here. it's a compliment to the mavs.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:32 PM   #38
LAKESHOW

good point kid. and thats where LAKESHOWS information is valuable. for example, you mention Del Harris. its ironic that del was the one who wanted to dumped van exel, or nicky V as he's known over here, when he was with the LAKERS, but all of the sudden, nicky V pops up workin for the mavs in dallas. where he is a key part in backing up, if not working side by side, with nash.

so what kind of advice can del offer? dump nicky V?

anyhow, the dude cant coach . . . i'm sure nellie listens to dels advice and does opposite. because he knows that del would definitely offer the wrong advice. how do i know? explain not winning with SHAQ, KOBE, eddie jones, nick van exel, elden campbell, just to name a few . . .
Old 05-01-2002, 03:37 PM   #39
LAKESHOW

well NYmav fan, you can tell some folks the truth, and it still wouldnt register . . . anyhow, which is a SHOW of insecurity . . . an LA FAN rooting for the LAKERS, or a NY fan NOT rooting for the knicks . . .

anyways your welcome, LAKESHOW feels the warmth . . .
Old 05-01-2002, 04:12 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

you're welcome here..but you have to throw out a bit of stats or something to back up your opinions..throw something out