Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-13-2002, 02:20 PM   #1
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Any interest?
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Kinda. He plays the 3 and we need a 3. I'm not for trading for him though which seems to be the only way to get him assuming Askrabic eats the exception.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Kinda. He plays the 3 and we need a 3. I'm not for trading for him though which seems to be the only way to get him assuming Askrabic eats the exception. >>

I can't think of what the Mavs have to trade that the Lakers would take in a sign-and-trade for George. Other than that he will cost the entire exception. Which I think makes it a question of George or Askrabic, can't have both.

(which again comes back to my question about whether or not Askrabic is an NBA 3)
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
Nellie
Golden Member

If it comes down to either/or, we all know Nellie will go with Askrabic.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Put me down as one who really doesn't want Devean George.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend on whether Askrabic can play the 3. George is interesting. Very athletic, can shoot real well, defends pretty well. Plays erratic at times but is young.

I'd definitely talk to him, etc just in case Asrabic negotiations do not pan out.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
Nellie
Golden Member

Just a shot in the dark here:

Would LA be interested in a NVE for Fisher/George deal?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

LA might not be but I would. Now that is something worth consideration.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:12 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

george can shoot really well?
where have i been?
that guy has never been a good shooter, has he?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

George is an ok shooter. it's fisher that makes that a good deal.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:16 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, i was responding to someone saying george is a good shooter.. he's a mediocre to ok three point shooter... he's a horrible 2pt shooter, and he's not that good from the line
Old 06-13-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

I'll be honest...I don't know a lot about his game...just what I've seen lately.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< george can shoot really well?
where have i been?
that guy has never been a good shooter, has he?
>>

Well I don't know what happened his 2nd year but he shot 37% from downtown last year. His overall shooting percentage was terrible (around 41%). So to me, that says he's a better outside shooter than he is a finisher, and it also says he has a tendency to take wild shots.

But his shot is there.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:22 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

we don't need a guy that takes wild shots...
Old 06-13-2002, 03:24 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

i'm willing to bet that his 3pt shooting percentage isn't as high in the next couple of years as it was this year.
but..if he &quot;CAN&quot; shoot 37% consistently, then that's not bad at all.. however, i don't think he will...just judging from his past, i would think he would settle around the 34-35% mark over the next several years
Old 06-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

we've already got a guy that shoots poorly and takes wild ass shots.. NVE
Old 06-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Do we really need another 3 point shooter?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:26 PM   #18
Bayliss

<< we don't need a guy that takes wild shots... >>

True but what we do need is a small forward with size (George is 6'8&quot, that can hit the outside shot (37% 3P) can defend, can rebound (George got 3.5-4 boards in only 20 minutes a game) and someone who is young (George is 24-25).

He would gives us a lot of things we need.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:27 PM   #19
Bayliss

The difference between George and NVE, Murph is that George fills some of our holes.... NVE creates some.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

If he had the ability to move out someone andpost up I would feel better about him.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #21
Nellie
Golden Member

What type of money would Matt Harpring or Pat Garrity require? It seems both of them would be in the exception range.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #22
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I really doubt LA takes NVE back--it was Shaq who got him traded in the first place.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

The difference between George and NVE, Murph is that George fills some of our holes.... NVE creates some.

maybe so...but NVE as trade bait may address those holes.

BTW..nice icon!
Old 06-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Hoops- you have a knack for tossing in the good point....
Old 06-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #25
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< The difference between George and NVE, Murph is that George fills some of our holes.... NVE creates some. >>

Which is why I even brought him up.

I have no interest in Garrity, but Harpring seems like another possibility. Is he a free agent this year?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:37 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Garrity would be a little used spare here.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #27
Bayliss

<< Is he a free agent this year? >>

Matt Harpring is a restricted (team option) free agent.

Harpring would be another nice addition at the small forward spot. He has size, defends okay, rebounds well, and is a tough nosed kid.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #28
Nellie
Golden Member

<< I really doubt LA takes NVE back--it was Shaq who got him traded in the first place. >>

I thought that was a Del Harris only thing. I didn't realize Shaq was involved in the NVE exit.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #29
Nellie
Golden Member

Another free agent that I wouldn't mind seeing here again is Erick Strickland. He would definitely improve our perimeter defense.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #30
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<<

<< I really doubt LA takes NVE back--it was Shaq who got him traded in the first place. >>

I thought that was a Del Harris only thing. I didn't realize Shaq was involved in the NVE exit.
>>

According to stories at the time and then revisited at the trade this year, though NVE and Harris didn't get along well, and NVE blamed Harris for the trade, Harris didn't actually have anything to do with it. It was a decision made by West and Buss--and a major factor was that Shaq was upset with Nick for chanting 'Cancun' in the huddle as they were about to be swept from the playoffs.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #31
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Shaq was upset with Nick for chanting 'Cancun' in the huddle as they were about to be swept from the playoffs. >>

That would piss me off too. What an idiot.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

if that is true then yes....what an idiot.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

if that is true then yes....what an idiot.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:20 PM   #34
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I am always apprehensive when a team brings in a role-player from a championship team. It almost always blows up in the team's face, regardless of the sport.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:22 PM   #35
Bayliss

<< I am always apprehensive when a team brings in a role-player from a championship team. It almost always blows up in the team's face, regardless of the sport. >>

Besides George, one role player I'd love to have on the Mavs is Robert Horry. The man is clutch, and does all the little things.

Old 06-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #36
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I am always apprehensive when a team brings in a role-player from a championship team. It almost always blows up in the team's face, regardless of the sport. >>

Isn't that what the Lakers did when the picked up Horry? I can't think of any examples of what you are talking about in basketball Bayliss.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:27 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Usually what heppens is that the new team overpays for a guy off a championship team when they could have had a similar player for much less.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:28 PM   #38
Bayliss

<< Isn't that what the Lakers did when the picked up Horry? I can't think of any examples of what you are talking about in basketball Bayliss. >>

Wasn't me that said that.

And Horry was brought to the Lakers in 97. Not sure if it was before or after Jackson.

Old 06-13-2002, 04:36 PM   #39
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Wasn't me that said that. >>

Sorry, you're right--its because you keep changing icons--can't keep you straight :-)

Question is to Dooby.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:40 PM   #40
LakerMania

LakerMania is on a distinguished road

Oh don't pay attention to George he sucks, and Slava too for that matter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But there is this awesome guy that still has 1 year left on his contract, his name is Samaki Walker, why don't you guys take him off our hands?

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote