Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-12-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LINK.

If this wasn't so sad it would be laughable. Don't they realize they are operating at a loss right now and that a strike could mean the end of their league. They should shut up and play.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2002, 11:52 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

let it end
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:41 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

There is a market for the WNBA....albeit a small one. I think they are on thin ice anyway.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

is the market large enough to justify there being a league?
i hope not.
we'll find out in the next couple of years
Old 06-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Actually...the WNBA is close to being at an operating plus. The NBA and NBC (I think) are subsidizing the league unti lit can operate at a profit. I think they are close. That said. Who cares?
Old 06-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

people watch that?? sad, very sad
Old 06-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

there is a niche for it.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

ya, bull-dykes wanting to get a piece of the action...lol
Old 06-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Oh my...
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

i really don't think there's a niche for it... if there hadn't been so much money put into it so far, i'm willing to bet it would have already been yanked
Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

They get consistent attendance. And they are projected to operate at a profit soon which I think is why the players are starting to ask for more. Two of the Baylor girls are in the league and there is quite a following. I hate that I am defending them, but there really is a niche.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:05 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i'm sure their books are skewed as much as possible to show a profit.. nearly skewed as much as selig's is to show a loss for baseball.

the wnba has an agenda so it i'm sure they're not going to come out and say the league is failing.. it will fold before too long.. oh yes, it will fold
Old 06-13-2002, 07:56 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

my point was only that there is a niche for the game. Lots of teenie bopper girls and then some others that just like it.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 AM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Everytime I see 'WNBA', I think 'wannabe'.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:35 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

there's a niche for everything.. however, not everything that there's a niche for can survive at the level that the WNBA is trying to survive at
Old 06-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Just thought I'd note that this forum is for:

Talk about your FAVORITE college, amateur, or professional sports teams and athletes here - for anything and everything non-NBA!

So Doc and Murph, are you on or off-topic here?

;-)
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:13 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

good point hoops..we should move this to the lounge or not talk about it at all
Old 06-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Uh...no. We are not off topic. The WNBA is not the NBA. It is at best an "other" sport.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:21 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

i think what he's saying is that it's not a sport at all
Old 06-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Oh.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #21
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< i think what he's saying is that it's not a sport at all >>

Actually, I was trying to tweak you guys with the fact that the forum description says it is for discussing your FAVORITE sports other than the NBA .
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:35 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

haha..oh, well, i'd like to think that it's not a real sport at all and therefore belongs in the lounge
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
it sounds better that way
Old 06-13-2002, 03:03 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

But it's not the NBA...therefore this forum is ok. Anyway...I think we all agree it's not worth watching...
Old 06-13-2002, 03:14 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

It looks like they will be around another six years, ABC just announced the following agreement.

WNBA signs new TV deal with ABC, ESPN

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The WNBA has reached a new six-year agreement with ABC and ESPN
to carry about 30 of the league's games next season.

ABC acquired the WNBA rights from NBC, which also lost the NBA broadcast rights to
ABC.

ABC will carry regular-season games from the women's league on Saturday afternoon
and broadcast playoff games.

ESPN will carry a Wednesday night WNBA game and a Friday night doubleheader plus
the all-star game. The WNBA draft will be on ESPN2.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:19 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

nah, i'm predicting failure after the ratings fall further through the floor
Old 06-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

sheesh...
Old 06-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

sheesh
Old 06-13-2002, 04:18 PM   #28
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The strike will kill it. Still think the best woman's basketball that they have to offer is high school games, especially rural teams).

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:50 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Bayliss- I got forced kicking and screaming to some Big 12 girls game this past season and I'll admit that at the beginning I was hell-bent on ahaving a bad time, but at the end of the season...I was yelling my ass off. It was technical basketball at it's finest. The Big 12 had 7 or 8 top 15 teams this year and they were fun to watch.

But I don't plan on going back often...and never to a WNBA fgame.