Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-27-2002, 07:46 AM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I pulled this off db.com, It looks like the Mavs atleast have discussed the possiblity of offering Redd a contract....

Pursuit Of Bucks' FA Likely Too Costly

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The Mavs are considering making a bid on Bucks free agent Michael Redd, but lean against it because they can't convince themselves he's a $9 million player.
REDD PROFILE
"It's been kicked around,'' one Mavs staffer says.
Redd, the 6-6, 220-pounder selected by Milwaukee in the second round of the 2000 NBA Draft, emerged as a commodity last season, when he averaged 11.4 points and 21 minutes a game.
Indications from Milwaukee are that the Bucks will retain the second-year shooting guard by offering him the $4.5 million exception, and that they will do so in time for the start of Oct. 1 training camp. The landscape of free agency this summer has changed so drastically that Redd has received no proposals from other teams.
Should the Mavs take a shot here?
Redd would undoubtably be a talent fit here, so much so that he would likely vault over some of the play-a-likes on the Dallas roster. And the continuing consideration of a guy like Redd (along with the agreement with Raja Bell) raises questions about the health of Adrian Griffin’s back and Tariq Abdul-Wahad’s knee.
Still, while Bell, for instance, will be a minimum-wage acquisition, Redd would cost the $4.5 million a year and then, because of the salary-cap ramifications, cause Dallas to write another $4.5 million-a-year check to the NBA.
A tightening of the Mark Cuban belt? Nah. Just some common sense that may have eluded this regime in the early days of tipping valet-parking guys $3 million. We have no doubt that the salary cap remains an afterthought when it comes to winning a championship, and have no problems with it being an obstable when it comes to a guy with eight career starts.
Redd is a defensive talent and a 3-point ace, witness his NBA record for 3-pointers in a quarter, eight in the fourth against Houston last year. But is he a $9 million player?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Now we're trying to sign anyone huh??????
Old 09-27-2002, 08:20 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't realize Redd was a defensive talent. He may just look good by comparison to Cassell and Allen. I say stay away from this one.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

good player but NOT worth the mid level exepmtion.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Hell, at this point, I say do it. I have concerns with our "Small-Forward-by-Committee" strategy. We have 2 true small forwards and both are gimpy. If we have a legit small forward, Nellie won't be as tempted to play Finley at the small forward with Nash and NVE as the guards.

Playing Fin at the 2 improves our rebounding.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I would do it too. The Mavs should be able to dump salary when they trade Wang because the Mavs will want to package TAW in the deal.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby said it!

Redd would give us 5 high level starters, with NVE, Eddie and Griff coming off the bench. Not bad.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Sorry guys, but how can you really doubt that Redd is WORTH 4.5 millions?????

We´re talking about trading Wang for Fortson and about anyone else in this league at this board all the time, so please don´t start telling me we´re not willing to pay a high percentage shooting Guard who has shown some solid game and is still young 4.5 mills ...
Old 09-27-2002, 10:01 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Griffen has slightly better rebounding numbers, but scores less. Redd has a decent 3-point shot.

Redd is listed as a guard, but is taller than Griffen.

Assuming there is no deal for Redd, here is what we are looking at: You can't expect Griffen to be any healthier than he was. You can expect TAW to be healthier, but not much. So you can't count on either for the whole year. So you are looking at a lot of small-ball with NVE and Nash in the back court.

The only way you avoid small ball for extended periods of time with this current roster can be summed up in 2 words (ready for it?): Bradley/Esch. If Nelson can be convinced that he can get something out of these two guys, then we go to the opposite extreme: big ball. SB/EE at center; Raef at PF; Dirk at SF. We saw a little of this with Little Whistle. What kills me, and I think it killed a lot of us (I know it killed Murph), was that it worked. But when Nellie came back, it was back to small ball.

Nellie will play the small and fast. We need Redd or any dependable SF to come in and play consistanty. Otherwise, it is the Nash/NVE show for extended minutes. Then Nash and Finley don't rest. And then we have another early exit. Bringing in Redd, IMO: takes minutes from Nash and Fin; adds scoring; adds defense; improves rebounding. What is not to love?

Am I overselling it? Yes. But only in degree. I am confident that all the above would happen if we brought Redd in.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby, email that shizzle to Cuban right now. You said the Truth.

I'm all about tall-ball myself.

Also -- I don't expect TAW to be any healthier basketball-wise than any one of our grandparents. A Franz article on DB.com points out something that I forgot -- TAW didn't play in back to back games in the summer league. That's the SUMMER LEAGUE, dog. He's had it. The best that can happen right now for TAW is for his career to end because of this injury, and hopefully insurance will pick up the tab, and Der Stern will give us an Injury Exception. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:02 AM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Didn't we already use part of our exception to sign Popeye?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:07 AM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I like Redd's skills, but I guess I just don't see him as a "legit SF," as Dooby referred to him. He's a shooting guard. Period. And I haven't heard anyone say that he's a good defensive player. I am, however, (and have always been) a big proponent of "tall ball." I think the Mavs should start Nowitzki at SF regardless of any acquisitions they make. So let's go with that idea for a minute:

Bradley (20 min) - Eschmeyer
LaFrentz (30 min) - Jones (20 min) - Najera (15 min)
Nowitzki (35 min) - Griffin (15 min)
Finley (35 min) - Redd (20 min)
Nash (30 min) - Van Exel (20 min)

I could live with that equation. At least you'd have 4 guys over 6'5" on the floor virtually all the time. That would make the Mavs a better (not great) rebounding team. I don't, however, see how you could sign Bell AND Redd. No place for both.

Also, MFFL, I'm curious. Who are we trading Wang to?

Old 09-27-2002, 11:16 AM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

KG...on the Milwaukee board, they're talking about Wang for Redd, but it's a "neither of us will match the other's offer sheet" deal. And they're complaining that the Bucks get screwed in that one.

Just reporting...
Old 09-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Redd was one of the bright points for the underachieving Bucks last year... I don't know if he is worth a $9 million a year hit, but I watched that guy torch my Hoosiers while he was at Ohio State and then got to see him torch my Pacers with Milwaukee after that. He is a legitimate talent, and his aquisition might be a real steal... It would be strange to actually route for him in a Dallas uniform though...
Old 09-27-2002, 12:29 PM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< Didn't we already use part of our exception to sign Popeye? >>

Nope. Popeye was signed for the vet. minimum. All exceptions remain fully intact. Fish asked Cuban and Little Whistle that very question. Of course, he asked it because I asked him to ask it over at LMF.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:33 PM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< KG...on the Milwaukee board, they're talking about Wang for Redd, but it's a &quot;neither of us will match the other's offer sheet&quot; deal. And they're complaining that the Bucks get screwed in that one.

Just reporting...
>>

I'd do that. Do that in a second. Hell, I've already done it. I am doing it again tomorrow. Too bad I don't own an NBA team.

Now, as for Redd being a shooting guard and nothing else, I don't know. I haven't seen him play that much. I think he could play small forward if asked. Regardless, a backup shooting guard would be nice to have as well.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #17
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

I'm a Buckeye fan, so I can handle rooting for Redd...

However, I don't see how this settles our SF problem... (huge problem if Griff &amp; TAW aren't healthy)

Other than a few minutes of Tall Ball here &amp; there, I don't see Dirk as a SF. He doesn't look comfortable playing there &amp; quite frankly he's not all that great at it when he does... he's WAY better at PF, even C where is &quot;quickness&quot; is an asset... at SF, he's merely taller than most at that spot... but most SF can take him off the dribble...

In my eyes, unless Redd can be turned into a solid rebounder/defender at the SF position, we'd see even more Finley at that position &amp; he's a far better SG than SF...

Bring him in as a Fin backup, if you want, but I'll be praying for a healthy Griff &amp; Tariq!!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

FYI....the same board says Cuban already said no to Ervin Johnson and Mason or Caffey for Wang...

Sic the Apes on that idea...
Old 09-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #19
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

It would not surprise me if he gets signed. Dallas is good for making transactions at the last minute.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

OH Ive seen Redd play and hell I know we all have seen him play the Mavs and the guy has lit us up. I wasnt aware he was 6 6 i thought he was about 6 1 for some reason because they list him as a point on some sites. I would give him the whole exception if possible and oh hell yea I would trade him for Wang. Is he wanting 9 mill a year? This is like Rashard Lewis all over again.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:10 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

FFM- No. He does not want 9mil per year. He wants the full exception at 4.5 million. Since we are over the cap, we would be penalized dollar for dollar, so signing him would cost the Mavs 9 million.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:50 PM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< KG...on the Milwaukee board, they're talking about Wang for Redd, but it's a &quot;neither of us will match the other's offer sheet&quot; deal. And they're complaining that the Bucks get screwed in that one.

Just reporting...
>>

Thinking about this. I don't think this works. I think the league vetoes one the contracts (or both) as an end-around BYC issues. It says explicitly in the CBA that there can be no compensation to a team for failing to exercise rights in a particular player. Meaning you can't pay a team for not matching an offer sheet of a restricted agent. That also includes draft picks and I assume a reciprocal non-matching agreement would violate the cap as well. I don't know. This could easily be OK, or not OK. It could also depend on intent.

Old 09-27-2002, 03:57 PM   #23
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< This could easily be OK, or not OK. It could also depend on intent. >>

Or at least ability to prove intent. If Stern could demonstrate Dallas and Milwaukee pulled such a stunt, he would slap both of them. If he can't prove it, then that's that.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:12 PM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

Look at potential sanctions: At worst: Mil contract with Wang void; Dal contract with Redd void; fines for both Mil and Dal; possible suspensions for brief periods of time. Cuban, being Cuban, would get the brunt of the fines and suspensions. Is that big risk? I don't know.

We aren't talking a court of law. Circumstancial evidence is more than enough. If it looks fishy to Stern, it is fishy.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'd trade Wang for Redd, mainly because I've already written Wang off as gone, so something is better than nothing.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:17 PM   #26
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Only way Redd comes here is via a trade, Cubes is pulling back slightly on the spending...Redd is simply not worth a LARGE free agent signing and then the matching tax.....
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:18 AM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< Only way Redd comes here is via a trade, Cubes is pulling back slightly on the spending...Redd is simply not worth a LARGE free agent signing and then the matching tax..... >>

I tend to agree, mainly because Redd is a 6'6&quot; SG, not a 7'0&quot; C.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:12 PM   #28
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Look at potential sanctions: At worst: Mil contract with Wang void; Dal contract with Redd void; fines for both Mil and Dal; possible suspensions for brief periods of time. Cuban, being Cuban, would get the brunt of the fines and suspensions. Is that big risk? I don't know. >>

Or draft picks. This move would be designed to circumvent the cap which means Stern would be likely to come down on it the way he came down on Minnesota and Joe Smith.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:27 AM   #29
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Dooby is right about the trade not working..

BTW it is good see the &quot;bull&quot; back at work Dooby....HA HA
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote