Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-14-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

Dirk and Nash got 3.8% each of the GM votes for "Best Pure shooter"
Dirk was also on the list for "Best Basketball Instincts" and Nash for "Best Ballhandling"
Old 10-14-2002, 02:07 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Reggie Miller
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

best pure shooter is without a doubt reggie miller,all the way,than you can call steve and dirk and ray allen.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:09 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

you were too slow NP...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 02:11 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

lol,yea,next time drbio,i'll be lurkin.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

It wasn't a question guy's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

No, but the GM's said Ray Allen was number one, followed by Peja, Reggie, Houston then tie Dirk, Nash and Curry
Old 10-14-2002, 02:14 PM   #7
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Reggie can nail him, but I have never thought of his shot as "pure" it's a bit of a line drive. I thought Dennis Scott had a extremely PURE shot.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM   #8
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

now thats just stupid,steve has a better three than peja,much better,with allen its closer,but peja???? come'on.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Peja's 3 is pretty good.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:45 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Nájera. He had his daughter Isabelle in 9 months after wedding.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:48 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Reggie Miller is the games best shooter for players who are active.

Historically I go with Pistol Pete Maravich at #1 and Larry Legend at #2....Reggie would be in that top 5-10 list for sure IMO.

Old 10-14-2002, 03:34 PM   #12
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

historicly i'll go with jerry west.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:37 PM   #13
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

did you guy's ever see Scott in Orlando? That year 95-96, he was awesome, set record for 3's in a game (11) and season (267) Those numbers are unbreakable!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:46 PM   #14
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

11 is breakable,i think redd nailed 8 against us or something like that,gets close.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:48 PM   #15
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

yea, 11 is I guess, just hard to. But I don't know about 267.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< did you guy's ever see Scott in Orlando? That year 95-96, he was awesome, set record for 3's in a game (11) and season (267) Those numbers are unbreakable! >>

the 3 pt line was also a lot closer that year. its a skewed record.

scott is nothing more than a glorified bench warmer.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hey Doc...I thought Pistol Pete had a Iversonesqu shooting percentage? I just thought I had heard that before. Correct me if I'm wrong...or too young! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 04:18 PM   #18
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

naaa,im not doc but i still gotta take this,pete got good percantages,not amazin but good,on the otherheand,j.west was amazing.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Pistol Pete rarely missed as I recall. One of the best shooters I have ever seen.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #20
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

he wasnt better than west!thats what im saying,wesy was something else,simply something else.
he was in a different level than anybody else.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:30 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

perusing back into this thread I see nowhere that it said that....but it is your opinion. Many may likely bring up names that are not currently listed here.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:42 PM   #22
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Pistol Pete without a doubt the best, better than west...Oscar Robinson the big O would be right there as well.
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #23
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

&quot;the 3 pt line was also a lot closer that year. its a skewed record.

scott is nothing more than a glorified bench warmer.&quot;

LMAO, You most of NEVER watched him play, or at least never watched him play b/f he came here, lol! Yea, he set about 5 ACC records, including leading Georgia Tech to Final Four, avg. over 27 PPG IN HIS JUNIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE! For a big time college, 27 ppg is insane! He started about half his career, so that's wrong. Despite a few awful years, still has a career ppg over 12. He avg. 17.5 and 19.5 ppg in spereate years. do bench warmers avg. near 20 ppg?????? He nailed over 100 3's in about 6, 7 years. Even w/ a shorter line, 267 is A LOT! He finished runner up in 3 point contest. Im sorry, but I was a big Scott fan, and your comment made you sound a lot stupider then you are, because I know your a smart guy.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:10 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Excellent choice on the original &quot;Big O&quot; pepperfletch...excellent choice!
Old 10-14-2002, 06:38 PM   #25
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Nash and Dirk should have gotten some more votes, Houston and Curry none, they don´t have the stats to go with their shooting technique. Also guys like Steve Smith, John Barry and Piatkowski should have made the list.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:50 PM   #26
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

100!% agreement fidel. Houston is overatted. Where's the love for either Barry or Pia, Pia can shoot!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:20 AM   #27
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

if you put oscar than gervin should get some room too.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:56 AM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< &quot;the 3 pt line was also a lot closer that year. its a skewed record.

scott is nothing more than a glorified bench warmer.&quot;

LMAO, You most of NEVER watched him play, or at least never watched him play b/f he came here, lol! Yea, he set about 5 ACC records, including leading Georgia Tech to Final Four, avg. over 27 PPG IN HIS JUNIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE! For a big time college, 27 ppg is insane! He started about half his career, so that's wrong. Despite a few awful years, still has a career ppg over 12. He avg. 17.5 and 19.5 ppg in spereate years. do bench warmers avg. near 20 ppg?????? He nailed over 100 3's in about 6, 7 years. Even w/ a shorter line, 267 is A LOT! He finished runner up in 3 point contest. Im sorry, but I was a big Scott fan, and your comment made you sound a lot stupider then you are, because I know your a smart guy.
>>

what has scott accomplished in the nba besides shooting 3's? nothing. if shooting threes makes you a &quot;pure shooter&quot; then fine you can consider him that, but even when he played with the mavs he stunk.

kurt thomas averaged over 32 pts a game his senior year of college, that doesnt make him a great pure shooter. i stand by what i said, scott is a bench warmer and nothing special. i'm just saying if you want to point out that he made 267 threes in 95-96, i will point out that the line is over 2 ft closer, and about the same distance as the college line. i believe danny ferry also had career highs that year in 3 pt shots, and nobody mentions him as a great pure shooter.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:38 PM   #29
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Yes, but danny ferry doesn't have a 40% CAREER 3 PT % OR OVER 1000 3'S!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #30
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

<< Yes, but danny ferry doesn't have a 40% CAREER 3 PT % OR OVER 1000 3'S!!! >>

oh lord. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

like i said the large majority of the time he racked up his 3pters were when the line was moved in 2 ft from its current position.

i pulled up some numbers of the greatest shooter of all time dennis scott

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dennis....html?nav=page

seems our man is a career 41%FG shooter and a career 40%FG shooter.

if you take out his 3pt makes he only shot 43% from the field from under the 3pt. line.

class...what does this tell us?

i don't know, but i can tell you, it means hes not the best PURE shooter of all time.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:30 PM   #31
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

i never said best, but top 20.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:44 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

may be splitting hairs here UberDirk, but you said his records couldn't be broken...to me that indicates your calling him the best ever.

Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:01 PM   #33
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

I still don't think 267 can be broken, closer 3 point line or not. do you?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:04 PM   #34
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

when you launch close to 650 3's, then yes i think its possible.

ESPECIALLY if the line is moved 2 ft closer. Hell, I think Dirk, Fin, or nash could do it. And thats just on the mavs.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #35
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

if you think any of them, even my man dirk, would of had a chance at 267, your a moron. p.s., mike played that year and mike wouldn't of got more then 150 3's! Nash, mabye 190, dirk mabye 200-210. None would of gotten 267. There were hundreds of other guy's that year, not one of them got close to 267. P.s., yes, 3-d led the nba in 3's that year, BUT DIDN'T led the nba in 3's attempted, also shot 41% from downton, higher then mike ever has.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:45 PM   #36
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

and if you think all these people could do it, why did NO nba player come close in 95-96????
Old 10-16-2002, 11:00 PM   #37
Royalty_Inc

Royalty_Inc is on a distinguished road

I like the Oscar call too...Oscar Schmidt!

Remember that Magic and Bird both called him the best shooter they had ever seen.

How about a Mark Price note...I hated the guy but you gotta look at his three pt, ft, and fg percentage.

As for Pistol Pete I find his percentage at .441 according to http://www.corpcomm.net/~gjjensen/jesse/pistol.html

The Big O's stats can be found at
http://www.thebigo.com/pages/news/stats.html

The Royal One
Royalty_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 PM   #38
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

<< and if you think all these people could do it, why did NO nba player come close in 95-96???? >>

because nobody is STUPID ENOUGH to launch 650 3 point shots!

if you are going to call me a moron, i would highly suggest you look up the following:

&quot;those who live in glass houses, ought not throw stones&quot;

as well as

&quot;if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black.&quot;
Old 10-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #39
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Y'all've gotten this far and nobody has mentioned Steve Kerr?

Incredible.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 01:42 PM   #40
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Im sorry, but how do you equate your numbers??? LMAO! How is 628 650??? LOL! And p.s. smart one, actually two guy's that year attemped MORE 3 POINTERS THEN SCOTT, and neither had close to 267! Done, you lose.