Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-13-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

hi all,

I'm not a mavs fan but I was talking to some friends recently about THE TRADE that made the mavs what they are today, but I can't remember the exact details about THE TRADE, could someone fill me in.

Dallas gave the rights to tractor traylor
and got ?????? (Dirk plus nash ....???)

thanks

mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

no...it was straight up...Mavs wanted Dirk...Bucks wanted Traylor...they had a trade agreement at the time of the draft. Milwaukee took Dirk, we took Traylor and each traded the right to the other...Didn't involve any other players.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

are you sure?

that doesn't make any sense, in that case whay would there be a trade at all (each team could just take who they wanted)

I think traylor was taken high (about 5th or 6th) and Dirk was taken 10th or beyond, the bucks would've HAD to give up something to move up those slots.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

<< no...it was straight up...Mavs wanted Dirk...Bucks wanted Traylor...they had a trade agreement at the time of the draft. Milwaukee took Dirk, we took Traylor and each traded the right to the other...Didn't involve any other players. >>

Incorrect, the Bucks threw in the rights to Pat Garrity in order to essentially move up in the draft.

Not sure if they used Garrity to aquire anyone else. How did the Mavs get Nash?

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:48 PM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

mavs got nash by then trading the rights to garrity and their #9 pick which turned out to be some scrub named shawn marion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i think both teams (suns and mavs) came out good on that one.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:57 PM   #6
mcsluggo
Golden Member

OK, I gave up and googled it.

Dallas drafted Robert Traylor (1st round) (draft day trade to Milwaukee for the rights to #9 Dirk Nowitzki and the rights to #19 Pat Garrity - who was then traded to Phoenix along with Bubba Wells, Martin Muursepp, and Dallas' 1999 1st round pick for Steve Nash)

So the trade(s) ended up being the rights to Traylor, a future 1st round pick and two scrubs (who aren't in the league any more, I believe) for Dirk and Nash.

I had forgotten about the first round pick, but hmmmmmmm..... I think I'd still make that trade today [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 07:22 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

You can borrow our fortune-teller; he´s cheap [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 08:17 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It comes down to Tractor and Shawn Marion for Dirk and Nash.

I'd say Dallas made out pretty damn good. Marion would be awesome to have, but you gotta remember that Dirk might not be Dirk w/o Nash as his homey those first two years or so.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

jeesh Outlet, do you even know anything about the Mavs? How the hell did you not know garrity was part of the deal?????
Old 12-14-2002, 02:12 AM   #10
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Basketballzheimer's UD...you'll find out about it later in life!!

OP
Old 12-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I was about to lose my head thinking Mavs traded Marion and Garrity for Nash. Hell I probaly would do it now but at the time Nash was averaging like 4 points a game? 3rd string? But i'd take Dirk and Nash for Marion and Traylor anyday that is like a trade in NBA Live 03 that you get in exhibition mode. I remember when Mavs drafted Traylor I was so exciting being we could finally have a dominant big Man.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:23 PM   #12
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< jeesh Outlet, do you even know anything about the Mavs? How the hell did you not know garrity was part of the deal????? >>

watch it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 02:43 PM   #13
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

aexchange, me and Outlet are cool, i was just joking with my friend.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:13 PM   #14
Chiwas
Guru

<< aexchange, me and Outlet are cool, i was just joking with my friend. >>

Good judge.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #15
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

&quot;Good judge.&quot;

Yo no comprendo mi amigo????
Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

<< &quot;Good judge.&quot;

Yo no comprendo mi amigo????
>>

A Christmas present for you, an english dictionary:

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 07:59 PM   #17
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

my friend, the phrase &quot;Good judge&quot; pretaining to the comments it quite obscure.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:10 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

<< pretaining to the comments it quite obscure >>

It´s quite clear.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Basketballzheimer's UD...you'll find out about it later in life!!

OP
>>

Those young uns have a lot to look forward too huh OP? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:51 AM   #20
OutletPass
Diamond Member

<u>Hate to say it DOC but you're entirely correct</u>...kinda funny how I remember the Mavs in their first few years better than a lot of stuff in the last 10...

...but then, a lot of those years in the 90's were pretty forgettable. I'm licking my lips to see another Western Conference final here, as we did in the late 80's against SHOWTIME. It's been about 15 years, but I still have the bad taste in my mouth from that series !!

Hoping to get some new MAVS mouthwash this year !!