Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-18-2001, 04:58 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Various tidbits check it out.

Webber likes Detroit; Shaq doesn't like the zone
By Dave D'Alessandro - The Sporting News

This week's stop on the Chris Webber Travelogue: Detroit! "I love Detroit," Webber told the Detroit News. "The Pistons are definitely still a possibility. I'm not saying I'm locked down to it, but Detroit is an exciting situation. Coming home would really be special. But to come home and not have a chance to succeed, that would not be special. That would hurt.". . .

NOT IN THE ZONE

If you enjoyed watching Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal dominate the 2001 postseason, he has some advice: Don't get used to it. As the NBA goes zone for 2001-02, he expects the worst. "I don't know what the league is doing," he says. "If they want to pay me all this money to be a token, then the fans are really going to be ticked when they come to the games and don't see me doing anything. If it gets to the point where the game's not fun anymore, I'll do something else.". . .

TOP PICK FOR SALE

Michael Jordan continues to shop the Wizards' top pick in the draft, but he is finding few takers. One GM explains why: "In this draft, nobody wants to take the chance and be the first guy." . . .

BLAZERS JOB STILL AVAILABLE

Blazers GM Bob Whitsitt on the media's fun with his coaching search: "I have not offered it to anybody, and I'm sure that tonight I'll hear another report that I've hired somebody else." Two days later, he heard on NBC that he's going to ask the Knicks for permission to interview Jeff Van Gundy. . . .

CURRY SLIMS DOWN

Everyone's favorite project, Chicago high school center Eddy Curry, didn't play at the Chicago pre-draft camp, but he weighed in at a fairly promising 301 pounds. However, Jordan's personal trainer, Tim Grover, claims Curry is down to 285 with 13 percent body fat. . . .

FRANCIS, P.I.?

Rockets point guard Steve Francis is back at Maryland this summer, keeping a promise to his grandmother that he'd get his degree in criminology. When the season begins, he'll take some courses on the Internet, and finish up next May. . . .

HARDAWAY DONE IN MIAMI?

Judging by the early rhetoric, it sounds as if free-agent point guard Tim Hardaway has played his last game in Miami. Agent Henry Thomas is unhappy coach Pat Riley gave Hardaway, 34, such a heavy workload. "Maybe the focus should be whether Tim could be healthy come playoff time to make a playoff run," Thomas says. "Not so much if he can hold up to play 30, 35 minutes." Thomas adds that Hardaway's six-year run in Miami "very well could be" over. . . .

EUROS ON THE RISE

Scouts still are enamored with strong forward Pau Gasol, but if you're looking for a talented Euro who can contribute immediately, power forward Vladimir Radmanovic is the hot choice. One scout claims the 6-10, 235-pound Yugoslavian actually is further along than Gasol with a better offensive package

Old 06-18-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

About Shaq and the new rules:
I´ve read a comment a few days back that said Shaq would actually benefit from them. There are certain changes to how offensive fouls should be called which favor power players like Shaq. It should be easier for him now to muscle his way to the basket, cause contact he makes during an offensive move, will no longer be called an offensive foul, if the player intended to go to the basket, and there was no clear intention to knock down the defensive player. Damn my English. I can´t explain that any better, I read it on Dallsbasketball or espn.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 07:47 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I don't see how the new rules could favor him anymore than the current ones already do
Old 06-18-2001, 11:25 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Yeah...for him it isn't called a foul anyway. (Except in the finals for some reason)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:04 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

shaq may foul some when he has the ball, but he is fouled every time he touches the ball on offense.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 07:22 AM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Yeah...but everyone of those fouls are called.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:23 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no they're not
if every one of those fouls were called, he'd be at the foul line for 60 attempts a game
Old 06-20-2001, 05:58 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Shaq gets fouled a lot more than is called. But every successful big man had the same problem - Wilt, Kareem, Walton, etc.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 08:15 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

oh, i know mffl
i'm just tired of hearing people talking about shaq fouling and it not being called.
he's virtually fouled every time he has the ball on offense