Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-13-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I thought this deserved another thread.

If Mavs win tomorrow against Seattle and Spurs lose against Utah, both are going to face each other tied next Wednesday.

I prefer Phoenix than LA in the first round for obvious reasons. Then there's still hope.

But this means that SA has to lose three in a row; it seems almost impossible coming from the toughest team today.

And also means three wins in a row for Mavs, counting a miracle against the powerful Spurs in their home. Almost impossible too.

Whew! Tomorrow is going to be a special day and maybe next Wednesday too. Hope so.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I posted in the other thread that I doubted that the Jazz would play their older players much in this game because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
JoeGalvan

JoeGalvan is on a distinguished road

i'm really confused as far as the standings are ...

if im not mistaken, going in to today (sunday) the mavs were 1.5 games back right?

now with the spurs losing, doesnt that drop the spurs lead to 1 game?

if so, if both teams win tommorow ... wouldn't it come down to the last game on wednesday? (and the conference records if mavs win wednesday)

i may be totally wrong, but i guess im just missing something ...
JoeGalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The thing is that Utah doesn't rely so much on their older players. Andrei Kirlenko and Matt Harpering are big contributors to this still rock solid club. Anything is possible. If the spurs take this one for granted they will be in for a rude awakening.

Gavin the spurs own the tiebreakers with a better conference record.

A win in san antonio is perfectly possible the mavs have already won at the SBC center. The only places the mavs haven't won in The staples center and the America West Arena. It also seemed to be impossible that kobe and shaq combine for 28 points and we still lose to the Lakers.

The mavs need some momentum into the playoffs especially since no team has dominated away from the pack momentum might be key.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I posted in the Western Conference Standings thread that the only way we'll win the conference is if we win out & SA somehow loses to both us & Utah, which is highly unlikely. So we should be operating under the assumption that we will end up with the 3 seed (playing the 6 seed).

Right now it looks like this (remaining games in parenthesis):
5 Blazers (Suns, Clips)
6 Lakers (Nuggets, GS)
7 Utah (Spurs, Kings)

One game separates each of these. I don't see Utah winning out. Lakers should, so the only way we DON'T see LA in the first round is if Portland drops both remaining games.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:08 AM   #6
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

why do we have to be tied?if were minus 1 and were winning the last game,were tieing it,and the season series.
could'nt we just tie it at the last game and win big or whatever so that we would have the advantage?
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:23 AM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

oh sorry,just noticed JayC has just ansewred that.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Joe: maybe you are missing that SA lost yesterday. SA is only 1 game ahead.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #9
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

<< I posted in the other thread that I doubted that the Jazz would play their older players much in this game because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. >>

Since Malone has hinted his interest in going to LA, SA and Mavs I hope he comes up huge tonite to impress these teams. Actually jazz would play their players since they wanna go with momentum into the playoffs.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

One win and one win. The dream didn't come true.

However, if Mavs win SA, even though they can't have the #1 seed, they are going to be tied in first place in the NBA. (And ahead of SAC, yes!)

Still great.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I would love to have that win. With memphis beating Twolves and Blazers and lakers winning their rest of the games we should look for that home court in the second round.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:26 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I just say bring em on if we get swept maybe some philosophical changes are on the way. What a choke the mavs put up the final 11 games or so.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote