Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-13-2003, 04:13 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kareem to Karl: Go After a Title

Kareem to Karl: Go After a Title

By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is aware that Karl Malone is in pursuit of his all-time NBA scoring record. But the Hall of Fame center believes Malone should pursue another of Abdul-Jabbar's achievements even harder: A world championship.
"A championship should be everybody's motivation," said Abdul-Jabbar, who was honored during Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Wednesday. "That's the most important thing. That's why I played the game."
As he was doing so, the innovator of the skyhook also piled up 38,387 points, more than anyone in history. It's a record that many people considered unbreakable when Abdul-Jabbar retired after 20 NBA seasons with the Bucks and Lakers, but one that Malone is quickly closing in on.
The Jazz great finished his 18th season with 36,374 points, just 2,013 away from the record. If he plays two more seasons, Malone needs to average only 12.3 points per game to catch Abdul-Jabbar; if he maintains the 20.6-point average he posted last season, the soon-to-be 40-year-old would catch Abdul-Jabbar in early December 2004.
Malone never can equal Abdul-Jabbar's six world titles -- one in Milwaukee and five in Los Angeles -- and the Laker great understands how that must grate on the Jazz veteran. Perhaps the scoring record can salve that wound, Abdul-Jabbar said.
"It will be something for him to hang his hat on. Not winning any world championships, that's tough," Abdul-Jabbar said. "It must be really frustrating for him to have such a fine career but have nothing that really sets him apart. So [the scoring record] might be it."
Abdul-Jabbar said he hasn't followed Malone's progress closely, but is aware the record is in jeopardy.
"If he maintains his motivation and stays consistent, he'll be able to do it," Abdul-Jabbar said. "I'm not really too involved in it. He's had a great career. And if he breaks the record, it's great for him, but it's not going to affect me too much."

Old 06-13-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Kareem just doesn't want to lose his scoring title. Understandable.

Here something I just found on Kareem, seems he wants to caoch and no one will let him.

For once, Kareem can't score in NBA
advertisement

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 13, 2003 12:00 AM

SMOKY
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is finally learning how it feels to be shut out in the NBA.

The league's all-time leading scorer desperately wants a chance to prove he can coach in the league, but no general managers appear willing to grant him an interview.

Kareem hasn't been able to even get a whiff at the plethora of jobs that have been open this summer and are filling up faster than Demi Moore's datebook.

"It's kind of frustrating at times," Abdul-Jabbar told the Los Angeles Times while attending Game 4 of the NBA Finals between New Jersey and San Antonio. "I know I can do a good job out there. I have to get an opportunity."

As the Times pointed out, Kareem's aloof nature in the past could be part of the problem. He wasn't exactly Mr. Happy during his playing career. In fact, he was a downright jerk on a lot of occasions.

Back when we were wearing our Buster Browns, The Heat Index remembers asking the Big Man for his autograph before a shootaround at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. He not only tersely refused a polite request, he stomped on the poor kid's foot as he brushed his way to the court.

A calmer, more amiable Kareem has been received graciously by hoop fans around the league, however, as part of the NBA's "Love It Live Tour."

"Sometimes absence makes the heart fonder or something," Abdul-Jabbar told the Times. "It's kind of hard to understand. Even when I've gone up to Boston, the people up there have let me know all is forgiven."

We're still waiting for an apology in Phoenix, pal.

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

well, Dallas has a history of doing good things with supposed personality problems, and It would be nice to have someone that might be able to coach an inside game.

Let's get Karl and Kareem, and give them both a championship.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Dallas has a history of doing good things with supposed personality problems

Like Tarpley or Kidd....

Sorry UL, just had to pull your leg a bit.

Having said that, I'd love for Kareem to find a fit...but it probably won't happen. I always liked him, but he's got a lot of bad kharma to overcome. Exactly why he's having a hard time with it....
Old 06-13-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Dallas has a history of doing good things with supposed personality problems

Like Tarpley or Kidd....
and Leon Smith. I guess that leg does stretch.

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

I think Kareem is looking for a head coaching position. I don't see him coming to Dallas(or anywhere) as an assistant.

Personally, I would prefer if Kareem stayed away from Dallas.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Holinger has done wonders for dirk why not offer him a job. I like malone but i keep hearing whispers of selfishness. The great thing about the mavs is their unselfishness with the ball.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote