Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default Drugs and alcohol killed Haywood

edit for ESPN's shoddy reporting
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

edit
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

terribly unfortunate news. what's worse is that noone could see it coming to offer assistance.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

You had to kind of suspect it-- 23 year olds in top condition without medical histories don't usually just die apropos of nothing. But yes, it is indeed tragic...
Old 08-01-2003, 03:24 PM   #5
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

talk about jumping to f'in conclusions from one article...here is an excerpt from the DMN. He died of asthma-related causes most likely. Jeez...

It also confirmed what his mother, Carol Haywood, said at the time - that her son could have been a victim of asthma.

Benzodiazepine is sometimes used to treat asthma. Ethanol is a form of alcohol used in a variety of ways, including in beer and whiskey.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Really pisses me off when people want to be the first to report something and don't know the entire story. I knew Ennis and he didn't OD on drugs. Fuckin A...I'm pissed.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 08-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

Here's the whole fucking story...

Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas - Cowboys running back Ennis Haywood died accidentally from a mixture of drugs and ethanol complicated by his asthma, the Tarrant County medical examiner's office has ruled.

"Although the mixed ethanol and drug ingestion was the primary cause of death, a significant condition contributing to the death was bronchial asthma," the office said in a statement issued Friday.

Haywood, 23, died during May minicamp at Medical Center of Arlington, where he was taken after he began vomiting in his sleep. Paramedics were called after family members were unable to find a pulse.

Further tissue and toxicology tests were conducted after an initial autopsy failed to show the cause of death.

The medical examiner's office said that it had determined he died from "mixed ethanol and drug ingestion (codeine and unidentified benzodiazepine)." The death was formally ruled accidental.

It also confirmed what his mother, Carol Haywood, said at the time - that her son could have been a victim of asthma.

Benzodiazepine is sometimes used to treat asthma. Ethanol is a form of alcohol used in a variety of ways, including in beer and whiskey.

Haywood was an undrafted free agent from Iowa State.

Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
sturm und drang
Golden Member

Whoa, dude. Calm down.

I posted the story IN ITS ENTIRETY from ESPN.com. ESPN, as you know, is generally considered a pretty reliable source for news stories.

I was not trying to defame him, nor was I anxious "to be the first to post." It was a headline news story on ESPN.com. I'm sorry that the story was obviously misleading and incomplete, but how in the world was I to know that?
Old 08-01-2003, 03:38 PM   #9
The Crippler
Diamond Member

saying "embarassing the 'boys" was not trying to defame him? My ass.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
sturm und drang
Golden Member

In context of the recent shenanigans involving our team, a drug/alcohol OD would have been one further embarrassment to the team.

I apologize for what you see as defamation, but I simply read an inaccurate article, thought the topic germane to the discussions in this forum, and posted it. How you can hold me accountable for ESPN's shoddy reporting, I don't know. It's not like I pulled it from www.unsubstantiatedrumors.com or www.imadethisup.com and posted it here as the truth. It was a HEADLINE ARTICLE FROM ESPN.COM. Again, how was I supposed to know that it was horrifically incomplete?

I understand that you knew the guy, and I'm very sorry I posted an article that was less-than-truthful. I really am. I don't see why you're blaming me, though. Blame ESPN.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

don't blame you, but you should edit your post. Ennis in no way embarrased his family or the cowboys. He was a very nice young man who worked very hard to do what he had done with his life. A lot of people miss him.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #12
The Crippler
Diamond Member

thanks sturm.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
In context of the recent shenanigans involving our team, ....
Shouldn't that be "s/ henanigans"...?

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Still, terribly unfortunate news. I saw him play when Iowa State played Baylor. he was an amazing football player. Very hard nosed runner.

The effects of alcohol in conjunction with prescription drugs can be devastating. it's sad to be reminded of that well known fact in such a tragic manner.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote